Start by marking “Stickeen: John Muir and the Brave Little Dog” as Want to Read:
Stickeen: John Muir and the Brave Little Dog

Stickeen: John Muir and the Brave Little Dog

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  421 ratings  ·  49 reviews
This true tale actually happened in Alaska to the famous naturalist, John Muir, and it became what he called the most memorable of all his wild days. One day, Muir set out to explore a huge glacier during a blizzard. Stickeen--an aloof little dog belonging to a fellow traveler--insisted on going along. They become stranded on the glacier. The only way out was over a precar ...more
Published November 9th 1999 by Dawn Publications (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about Stickeen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stickeen

Jennifer Sanford martin
This book is very special to me and my family. Stickeen's owner Samuel Hall Young was my great-great-grandfather. I am happy to see that so many people have enjoyed it.
Charlie
When we arrived in Colorado this year for summer vacation, my father sat the entire family down to a family meeting. His terms: 1- to spend time with each of the grandsons, and 2- to read this book to the family.

It was, as my oldest said, "a lot better than I thought it was going to be!".

This is an excellent story about nature, life, challenges, and friendship. I was blown away!
Elizabeth
It is a wonderful introduction to John Muir. It reveals much about the man and the small dog named in the title. I would recommend this short book highly to everyone who would like a taste of Muir's magnificent nature writing and heroic character.
Lisa
A wonderful story told by my husband's hero, John Muir.

John Muir is well-known for his mountaineering adventures, especially during storms. In 1880, Muir returns to Alaska to continue his glacier exploration. Stickeen is a small dog that joined Muir's party and proved to be a fearless explorer, sticking to Muir's side, even during some hair-raising moments. That is, until a particularly scary spot, crossing a wide crevasse, Stickeen seemed to reach his limit. Muir and Stickeen become "brothers",
Lori
If you haven't read any of John Muir's writing, especially Travels in Alaska this is a good short story to start with. Muir's style is accessible and powerful even today. This story is about a dog who went on one of Muir's trips to Alaska, so if you've read that book, you have essentially read Stickeen, hence my rating.

Would be great for middle and high school, maybe even grade school readers.
Douglas Dalrymple
There’s something in Muir’s best work that reminds me of Robert Louis Stevenson. Stevenson was the better writer, but they were perhaps storytellers of the same species. Another point of comparison might be Thoreau. In terms of outdoor credentials, Thoreau was a dilettante compared to Muir. Both of them, however, found love of nature and love of language perfectly compatible. In Stickeen - an essay on an unlikely expedition dog and a nearly fatal incident traversing an Alaskan glacier – and in o ...more
Joe
Stickeen was a fun, quick little read. I'd given it a glance for the first time a year ago when I'd filed it away on my classroom's "Alaska books" shelf, but thought little more of it than a kids' story about a man and a dog. While certainly digestible for younger readers, the descriptive language remains interesting for older readers, too. There's the easy comparison between Stickeen and any number of Jack London stories, true, but Muir's voice lends it more of an uplifting sort of quality that ...more
Robin
I was delighted to find this essay published as a small book, as I had enjoyed reading it in the 1911 edition of John Muir’s “Mountains of California” while on vacation. At home, I could only locate the 1894 edition, which is missing this and other stories.

As the book begins, Stickeen, a small terrier, is adventurous yet aloof. This is a wonderful story of the forging of a bond between man and dog, and rather a coming of age tale for Stickeen. John Muir tells this true story in first person, and
Sundeep Supertramp
Stickeen by John Muir

Rating: 1 out of 5

ISBN (edition I've read): N/A (e-book)

Read between: 26-08-2012 (One day read)

Review:
This is very infamous book. On GoodReads, there are about 340 ratings and 40 reviews.

I came across this book when I was searching for some adventures novels online. Specifically I was searching for adventures that have taken place a long back and considered classics. That is how I came across John Muir and found a whole load of John Muir collection.

I think that it is not leg
Kristin
In this modern retelling of John Muir’s true adventure on a glacier in Alaska with a little dog named Stickeen, the language is very accessible to young readers. The adventure is daring, but the growing relationship between man and dog is also tender. Children will love this “Man and his faithful companion” story. Canyon’s colorful and detailed realistic drawings accurately depict the daring adventure and danger as well as the growing emotion between the two characters.
Sue
Stories about dogs (and other animals) make me nervous. I hate sobbing my guts out while reading a story! But this one did not lead to bawling. It's mostly about one day's adventure with Muir and the dog on a glacier, being stuck in a storm and trying to cross huge crevasses including one with a very skinny ice bridge. After Muir's description of the dog as very stoic, comparing him to a philosopher and even a cactus, the climax of the story is when they are crossing an ice bridge and Stickeen " ...more
James Hahn
Surprisingly good!

I'd never read anything of John Muir before this but will certainly look for other books. A brief but attention grabbing story about a man and a dog. A great book for anyone who loves adventure and man's best friend.
William
Great story - if this was longer I would have given it 5 stars and I suspect I'll keep going back to it for the remainder of my life. I wish I had read this during my childhood.
Impy
This book, published in 1998, is a retelling of one of John Muir's favorite adventures. He is said to have retold this story many, many times.

John Muir is a hero of mine, so it simply being a short story about him would've sufficed in satisfying me. Add to that the gorgeous illustrations by Christopher Canyon and this book is a real treasure.

I read this story through three times because it was so beautiful. The story is a good one and the illustrations are magic. John Muir looks much like himsel
Jennifer Zartman
I enjoyed this book, especially since I read Alaska Days with John Muir by Samuel Hall Young first. Samuel Young owned Stickeen, and in his book he details all of his adventures with John Muir, including this one. John Muir broke a good many rules about hiking in the wilderness in his adventures, to the point that I occasionally wonder how he lived through them all. His attitude and his writing all breathe a bracing freshness, and the details he gives about crossing the sliver of ice that hung o ...more
Pamela Sue
Loved the story and the illustrations.
Halida
My first time reading naturalist John Muir's work. Although the book is about a dog, Stickeen, the thing that left biggest impression to me was the man and dog's adventure in the great outdoors. Unlike, say, White Fang and The Call of the Wild by London, it doesn't give much information about the dog. It is a short read, though, so I guess that explains why a thorough description was not given to the character Stickeen. Overall a good book and I can't wait to read other work by Muir.
Shannon
I love it when I discover a new story or anecdote involving someone I respect and find interesting. Not only did John Muir traipse around the world, climbing glaciers and jumping crevasses, he did so in the company of the brave dog Stickeen. Stickeen is awesome because he doesn't blindly attach himself to Muir. It takes an epic adventure to bring the two together. Good historical notes and titles for further reading, as well.
Frances Sawaya
Any insights gained from reading John Muir are always worthy of thought and attention; this tale of the importance of struggles in life is no exception. It was all the more noteworthy for me as I read it today over coffee, bread and cheese (far more than Muir and Stickeen had when they set out on their day's exploration of the crevasses of Alaska) and watched our first snowfall of 2013.
Corrie
Wow. I'm not sure what to say. 3-1/2 stars. One one hand, I'm horrified that he let Stickeen come along on his adventure. Even more horrified that no one knows what happened to Stickeen after the adventure. But, on the other hand, what a fabulous, brave little dog. I really wish there was a picture of Stickeen. I'll have to check out the internet to see if I can find one.
Missmath144
Aug 16, 2008 Missmath144 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Missmath144 by: a lady at the Rocky Mt. Storytelling Festival
A very quick read (20-30 minutes) about John Muir's adventure with a little dog named Stickeen as they spent a day upon a glacier, watching it crush trees in its wake and wending their way around giant crevasses (and sometimes leaping over them). No a biography in itself, but a small biographical annecdote.
Caitlin
Sep 20, 2011 Caitlin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nature lovers, dog lovers, kids
Recommended to Caitlin by: Green Apple Books
An endearing little story. Not so much about the dog as it is about a little (daring and ill-advised) adventure Muir has in Alaska, with the dog along as a sidekick. Full of Muir's eloquent descriptions of nature and a few funny quips about the dog. Basically a short story, so a quick and enjoyable read.
Debra Slonek
Delightful short book about a man and a small, independent and unemotional dog who spend time exploring an Alaskan glacier. Their adventure is filled with danger and risks. Surviving the ordeal together forged a special bond between the man and Stickeen. Very enjoyable to read.
Sella Malin
Feb 20, 2008 Sella Malin rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who likes boring, long, overly descriptive books!!
this is a very boring, overly-long, overly descriptive book. Our teacher read it to us, and I fell asleep about after the first page. I could barely tell what was happening amidst all the long paragraphs of descriptions. Avoid this book if you don't like boring, long descriptions!!
Lauren
I enjoyed reading this short story about the adventures this naturalist and his canine companion had. It was interesting to see the reactions of Stickeen, the dog, and even more interesting to think of him as a "silent boy."

It's a very short read, and I'd read it again in the future!
Liz
Great short story about an insane man and an insane dog during a harrowing day on the Taylor Glacier, Aug 29, 1880. The dog accomplished some amazing feats to make it back. Sadly, someone stole the creature in the following months and Muir never saw his good friend again.
Robin
Feb 18, 2010 Robin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical curiosity and adventure
One great, quick read. I recommend doing it in one sitting.

Never before has the relationship between man and dog been so firmly set so quickly (and truthfully), and never before have I read the firsthand account of a man who hiked across cracked glaciers in Alaska. Very fun.
Steph Davis
Perfect for any kid even remotely interested in a suspenseful, odd and interesting story, from beginning reading (1st grade) to, um, adulthood (guilty!). Muir, of course, was a historical figure of huge importance in the conservation of wildlife and wild places.
Zinger
A really short story about hiking over a glacier during a storm and barely making it back to camp. The book is about Muir's thoughts on the peculiar dog, Stickeen, who is traveling with him.
Erik
Apr 21, 2015 Erik rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: nature
Very good little adventure story about John Muir and the dog Stickeen exploring a glacier in Alaska. Muir's prose is very readable, and he makes story both fun and exciting.
  • The Wild Muir: Twenty-Two of John Muir's Greatest Adventures
  • Night of the Grizzlies
  • Conifer Country
  • Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers
  • The Lost Grizzlies: A Search for Survivors in the Colorado Wilderness
  • Mrs. Chippy's Last Expedition: The Remarkable Journal of Shackleton's Polar-Bound Cat
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe
  • Two in the Far North
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
  • Lady Liberty: A Biography
John Muir (/mjʊər/; April 21, 1838 – December 24, 1914) was a Scottish-American naturalist, author, and early advocate of preservation of wilderness in the United States. His letters, essays, and books telling of his adventures in nature, especially in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California, have been read by millions. His activism helped to preserve the Yosemite Valley, Sequoia National Park a ...more
More about John Muir...
My First Summer in the Sierra Nature Writings: The Story of My Boyhood and Youth / My First Summer in the Sierra / The Mountains of California / Stickeen / Essays Travels in Alaska The Mountains of California The Wilderness World of John Muir

“What a psalm the storm was singing, and how fresh the smell of the washed earth and leaves, and how sweet the still small voices of the storm!” 28 likes