Start by marking “Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #2)” as Want to Read:
Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #2)

Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné #2)

“Moorcock’s writing is intricate, fabulous, and mellifluous. Reading his words I was, and am, reminded of music. His novels are symphonic experiences. They dance and cry and bleed and make promises that can live only in the moment of their utterance.”
–from the Foreword by Walter Mosley, New York Times bestselling author of Blonde Faith and Devil in a Blue Dress

Elric of Mel
Published July 29th 2008 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Elric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elric

Mike
Aug 28, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone

Introduction:

Elric of Melniboné – The name and the character standout in my memory in ways that so many others do not. I’m quite certain that I read the Elric stories before any of Michael Moorcock’s other “Eternal Champion” tales. Originally in used paperbacks that bore the “Lancer” imprint. Later on, I’m sure I re-read them in the DAW issues. Because the two series of books have different issue order/numbering I was always a bit confused about the “correct sequencing” of the stories.

Even then,
Neal whitton
Dec 07, 2008 Neal whitton rated it really liked it
I've been reading Science Fiction and Fantasy almost exclusively since I was 13. I didn't find Moorcock until I was in my late 20's. He is the quintessential Good vs Evil Fantasy writer. To say he's prolific is an understatement. I've started re-reading him recently. His universe (MULTI-verse) is perfectly constructed and the stories match perfectly. The Heroism is flawless.

His dimensions are related to size, meaning worlds are separated by scale. To the best of my knowledge, he postulated this
Greg Kerestan
Aug 09, 2016 Greg Kerestan rated it really liked it
Volume 1 of the collected Elric Saga ended at an impasse: Elric of Melnibone had killed every living thing, slaughtered the gods, destroyed the universe and died... hard to continue the series for five more volumes after an ending like that! Michael Moorcock, a fantasy/sci-fi visionary, refuses to let a thing like that hamper him, and expands the scope of Elric's word into the concept of an Eternal Champion, forever incarnated in new lives and personas across the multiverse. "To Rescue Tanelorn" ...more
James
Oct 19, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This excellent collection brings together several tales of Elric and the Eternal Champion in one of the best formats I have seen yet. While previous collections were more concerned about telling the tales in chronological order (which they were not written in), this collection series is collecting a variety of stories in each volume and adding in articles by Moorcock (or about Moorcock), and art from earlier printings. Each volume also includes art by a particular artist. I started with this vol ...more
oguz kaan
İçindekiler;

-Ezeli Şampiyon-
Lord Erekose, "Ezeli Şampiyon" ve klasik bir Moorcock hikayesiydi. Anlamsız romantizm kokan kopuk kopuk aksiyon sahneleri olan kötü bir hikaye. (2)

-Tanelorn'u Kurtarmak-
İçinde Elric'in olmadığı, okçunun, bir önceki kitaptan da hatırlanabilecek bir kahraman olan Racknir'in hikayesiydi. Kadim Tanelorn'u savunmak için çıkılan bir görev öyküsüydü. Bu hikayeden çok iyi bir oyun senaryosu olur/muş. Ayrıca felsefik diyalogları ve ilginç tasvirleriyle güzeldi. (4)

-Son Efsun-
G
Lindsay Stares
Jun 16, 2012 Lindsay Stares rated it liked it
Premise: This is the second collected volume of stories, following Elric: The Stealer of Souls. These stories include several more Elric tales, a few other stories set in that world, and more stories on the theme of the Eternal Champion.

I am beginning to think maybe some other reviewers had the right idea when they criticized these collections. I loved the first one, and I love the idea of reading the stories in publication order. There was a set of volumes that tried to arrange the stories in a
Peter Carrier
As other reviewers have noted, not all of the stories pertain to the last emperor of Melnibone. Even the tales that do not involve characters drawn from Elric's world are still good, solid stories that are worth reading; "The Great Conqueror" and "Phase 1" come to mind. While neither will ever be confused with Moorcock's more noteworthy writings, both are interesting, entertaining pieces that offer worthy passages. From "The Great Conqueror": "I am not his enemy - he is mine." The quote serves a ...more
Ted Wolf
Mar 01, 2014 Ted Wolf rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Basically, this is not really a book about Elric of Melnibone. If you read the Daw books, you'll probably be disappointed and if you haven't you'll leave this book wondering what's so great about Elric.

There are really only 3 Elric stories in this volume: The Last Enchantment (very short), The Singing Citadel and The Jade Man's Eyes (not in Daw)

Other stories in which Elric is a character include: Elric at the End of Time & The Black Blade's Song. I found both a bit boring.

The other stories a
Joseph
Apr 10, 2011 Joseph rated it really liked it
I'm torn -- since there's no 3 1/2, I'll stick with four stars. On the down side, Elric is only in about half the book. The remainder includes such things as the original version of The Eternal Champion, the first Jerry Cornelius story (which was essentially a rewrite of the first Elric story) and the like. The Elric stories included, though, are top-notch. It's also interesting to read them in their original versions -- in many cases (The Jade Man's Eyes most noticeably), Moorcock revised them ...more
Jack
Jun 04, 2009 Jack rated it it was ok
This is really more of an Eternal Champion collection, in which most of the stories are about the various iterations of Moorcock's primary character. His attempt to tie them all together into an overarching cosmic theme is interesting, given that he keeps each character true to his respective milieu even while madly mixing them around. But overall I found the stories less than appealing. Without the sense of exploring the world of Melnibone' and the Young Kingdoms, the assorted quests and advent ...more
Shannon Appelcline
May 24, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Some of these stories are OK (though I think the mid 1960s where the heart of this volume comes from is the weakest area of Elric writing). However, the organization of this book is atrocious. It doesn't cover things in a chronological order, and it has way too much stuff that's off topic. This volume could serve to ruin this series as a whole.
Chris
Jul 01, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
Another batch of short stories featuring Elric although this time we get a few variations like Jerry Cornelius and other sword & sorcery deviations. All in all a good collection, but I have a hard time understanding how this series of collections is being laid out. Generally it is chronological, but then each one seems to start over in the past at a different point. Oh well, whatever.
Mark

2013: Read story "Master of Chaos"
2014: Read: Foreword, Introduction, "Master of Chaos", "The Stone Thing", "Elric at the End of Time", and "The Black Blade's Song"
2016: Read: "The Singing Citadel", "To Rescue Tanelorn"

"To Rescue Tanelorn" has been one of my favorite stories even though it stars Rackhir instead of Elric.
Derek
Moorcock grew in this collection. Not the most powerful of his stories, but better. At first it bothered me to have his origins from "Jade Man's Eyes" later "retconned" out, but given the fluid nature of his multiverse, I don't mind it so much anymore. Good, creative work.
Eija
Kaikki tarinat eivät olleet 5 tähden arvoisia, mutta kokonaisuus on loistava. Kaikki tarinat eivät ole Elric tarinoita, joten tarinoissa on vaihtelevuutta. Kuvitus ja oheismateriaali tuo plussaa kokonaisuuteen.
Cameron
May 26, 2015 Cameron rated it did not like it
Volume 1 - awesome
Volume 2 - where's Elric. This is a seemingly random bunch of stories loosely connected somehow to Elric, most of them not very good. A boring read and not encouraging me to read the next volume
Trent
Feb 03, 2014 Trent rated it really liked it
The only story I found hard to get through was The Black Blade's Song, which didn't make much sense to me. The others were enjoyable as ever. Was pleasantly surprised by the newer stories towards the end of the collection.
Daniel
Apr 28, 2011 Daniel rated it really liked it
A mix of Elric stories from the 60s to the aughts, plus some other stories by Moorcock that were somewhat related, featuring other characters from the Elric body of work. Seemed much less coherent than the first volume in this series of collections.
Yosun Erdemli
Aug 27, 2016 Yosun Erdemli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elric Elric değil miydi, ben mi hiç anlamadım bilmiyorum.
Colin
Mar 21, 2009 Colin rated it really liked it
The second volume of the Elric chronicles contains less of the canonical Elric stories and more tangental "fluff," in my opinion, but still an excellent book for the sword-and-sorcery fan.
Ray
Jun 26, 2009 Ray rated it really liked it
Essentially, my only qualm was the changing of the story "The Eternal Champion" -- I had read another, longer version of it first, which I had liked better.
Fizbin
May 19, 2015 Fizbin rated it liked it
A jumble of short stories that are partially based on Elric. They are from Moorcock's earlier works, and as such are kind of ~meh. This is ok but not great.
Tormund
Dec 04, 2016 Tormund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Moorcock müthiş bir yazar. Bu kitaptaki hikâyelerin bir ikisi hariç kalanları müthiş bir hayal gücünün eseri. Yalnız kitabın çevirisi ve editörlüğü rezalet. Kepazelik..
Božidar Knežević
Božidar Knežević rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Brendan
Brendan rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Ricardo Guerrero
Ricardo Guerrero rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Dominic
Dominic rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2011
Robert Pirkola
Robert Pirkola rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf
  • The Warrior Who Carried Life
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
  • Conan The Formidable
  • Conan the Warlord
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • The Demon Redcoat (Traitor to the Crown, #3)
  • Where the Summer Ends: The Best Horror Stories of Karl Edward Wagner, Volume 1
  • Under the Moons of Mars: New Adventures on Barsoom
  • Conan the Champion
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
  • Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery
  • Imaro
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné (6 books)
  • Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #1)
  • Elric: The Sleeping Sorceress (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #3)
  • Duke Elric (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #4)
  • Elric in the Dream Realms (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #5)
  • Elric: Swords and Roses (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #6)

“Life’s not easy, it is a hard task to live it well and with grace—but, by Hades, let’s not complicate it with deities and water-nymphs!” 1 likes