Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #2)

Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  15 reviews
“Moorcock’s writing is intricate, fabulous, and mellifluous. Reading his words I was, and am, reminded of music. His novels are symphonic experiences. They dance and cry and bleed and make promises that can live only in the moment of their utterance.”
–from the Foreword by Walter Mosley, New York Times bestselling author of Blonde Faith and Devil in a Blue Dress

Elric of Mel...more
Published July 29th 2008 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2008)

Assuming Names by Tanya ThompsonThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasArtemis Fowl by Eoin ColferWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëHoudini Heart by Ki Longfellow
Best Antiheroes In Books
217th out of 322 books — 291 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. HowardThe Blade Itself by Joe AbercrombieElric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock
Sword and Sorcery
415th out of 462 books — 182 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike
Aug 28, 2013 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone

Introduction:

Elric of Melniboné – The name and the character standout in my memory in ways that so many others do not. I’m quite certain that I read the Elric stories before any of Michael Moorcock’s other “Eternal Champion” tales. Originally in used paperbacks that bore the “Lancer” imprint. Later on, I’m sure I re-read them in the DAW issues. Because the two series of books have different issue order/numbering I was always a bit confused about the “correct sequencing” of the stories.

Even then,...more
Neal whitton
I've been reading Science Fiction and Fantasy almost exclusively since I was 13. I didn't find Moorcock until I was in my late 20's. He is the quintessential Good vs Evil Fantasy writer. To say he's prolific is an understatement. I've started re-reading him recently. His universe (MULTI-verse) is perfectly constructed and the stories match perfectly. The Heroism is flawless.

His dimensions are related to size, meaning worlds are separated by scale. To the best of my knowledge, he postulated this...more
James
This excellent collection brings together several tales of Elric and the Eternal Champion in one of the best formats I have seen yet. While previous collections were more concerned about telling the tales in chronological order (which they were not written in), this collection series is collecting a variety of stories in each volume and adding in articles by Moorcock (or about Moorcock), and art from earlier printings. Each volume also includes art by a particular artist. I started with this vol...more
Ted Wolf
Basically, this is not really a book about Elric of Melnibone. If you read the Daw books, you'll probably be disappointed and if you haven't you'll leave this book wondering what's so great about Elric.

There are really only 3 Elric stories in this volume: The Last Enchantment (very short), The Singing Citadel and The Jade Man's Eyes (not in Daw)

Other stories in which Elric is a character include: Elric at the End of Time & The Black Blade's Song. I found both a bit boring.

The other stories a...more
Lindsay Stares
Premise: This is the second collected volume of stories, following Elric: The Stealer of Souls. These stories include several more Elric tales, a few other stories set in that world, and more stories on the theme of the Eternal Champion.

I am beginning to think maybe some other reviewers had the right idea when they criticized these collections. I loved the first one, and I love the idea of reading the stories in publication order. There was a set of volumes that tried to arrange the stories in a...more
Joseph
I'm torn -- since there's no 3 1/2, I'll stick with four stars. On the down side, Elric is only in about half the book. The remainder includes such things as the original version of The Eternal Champion, the first Jerry Cornelius story (which was essentially a rewrite of the first Elric story) and the like. The Elric stories included, though, are top-notch. It's also interesting to read them in their original versions -- in many cases (The Jade Man's Eyes most noticeably), Moorcock revised them...more
Jack
This is really more of an Eternal Champion collection, in which most of the stories are about the various iterations of Moorcock's primary character. His attempt to tie them all together into an overarching cosmic theme is interesting, given that he keeps each character true to his respective milieu even while madly mixing them around. But overall I found the stories less than appealing. Without the sense of exploring the world of Melnibone' and the Young Kingdoms, the assorted quests and advent...more
Chris
Another batch of short stories featuring Elric although this time we get a few variations like Jerry Cornelius and other sword & sorcery deviations. All in all a good collection, but I have a hard time understanding how this series of collections is being laid out. Generally it is chronological, but then each one seems to start over in the past at a different point. Oh well, whatever.
Shannon Appelcline
Some of these stories are OK (though I think the mid 1960s where the heart of this volume comes from is the weakest area of Elric writing). However, the organization of this book is atrocious. It doesn't cover things in a chronological order, and it has way too much stuff that's off topic. This volume could serve to ruin this series as a whole.
Derek
Moorcock grew in this collection. Not the most powerful of his stories, but better. At first it bothered me to have his origins from "Jade Man's Eyes" later "retconned" out, but given the fluid nature of his multiverse, I don't mind it so much anymore. Good, creative work.
Daniel
A mix of Elric stories from the 60s to the aughts, plus some other stories by Moorcock that were somewhat related, featuring other characters from the Elric body of work. Seemed much less coherent than the first volume in this series of collections.
Eija
Kaikki tarinat eivät olleet 5 tähden arvoisia, mutta kokonaisuus on loistava. Kaikki tarinat eivät ole Elric tarinoita, joten tarinoissa on vaihtelevuutta. Kuvitus ja oheismateriaali tuo plussaa kokonaisuuteen.
Colin
The second volume of the Elric chronicles contains less of the canonical Elric stories and more tangental "fluff," in my opinion, but still an excellent book for the sword-and-sorcery fan.
Bianca
i enjoyed rakhir and elric's stories, but the modern ones not so much..
Ray
Essentially, my only qualm was the changing of the story "The Eternal Champion" -- I had read another, longer version of it first, which I had liked better.
Seikaiha
Seikaiha is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2014
Phuong
Phuong marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Alex
Alex is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2014
Chas
Chas marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Γιάννης Κα.
Γιάννης Κα. marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Java Zigray
Java Zigray marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf (Michael Moorcock's Elric)
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery
  • Berserk, Vol. 36
  • Imaro
  • Conan the Destroyer (Conan, #6)
  • Merlin's Wood (Mythago Wood, #5)
  • Travellers' Rest (Morlock Ambosius, #0.5)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,...more
More about Michael Moorcock...
Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1) Stormbringer (Elric, #6) The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4) The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)