Start by marking “The Hickory Staff: The Eldarn Sequence Book 1” as Want to Read:
The Hickory Staff: The Eldarn Sequence Book 1

The Hickory Staff: The Eldarn Sequence Book 1 (The Eldarn Sequence #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Steven Taylor is an assistant bank manager in a quiet little town, and his roommate Mark Jenkins is a high school history teacher. Steven is bored with his job andthe thought of going through all the accounts that haven't had a single transaction in the past 25 years sounds even more boring—until he discovers the account of an old prospector who left $17,000 in October 187 ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Gollancz (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Hickory Staff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hickory Staff

Cybernet
If you enjoy epic fantasy, get this book NOW. Read it, read it right away, do not hesitate go out and grab it I don't care grab it and read it now, this instant. From the first few chapters this book smacked me in the face, knocked me out, grabbed me by the scruff of my neck and dragged me into it and wouldn't let go until all 500 + pages were finished.

The book follows roommates Steven and Mark, a banker and a high school teacher respectively, ordinary people from our own world. When Steven deci
Sydney
It reminds me of Inkheart and The Lord of the Rings put together. It could have been just as good if it were 300 pages shorter but there is enough action to keep the book interesting and to keep you reading it. It is slow to start, what with several prologue chapters and the book finishes with a lot of loose ends, ultimately making you read the next in the series. The take on magic, I think is dry. There didn't seem to be anything unique about the sorcerers and the all-mighty Nerak failed to be ...more
Peter
I hate giving up on books, I really do. It made it through 107 pages of the Hickory Staff before putting it down for good. The writing is horribly bland and generic, and it's a shame because you can tell Robert Scott and Jay Gordon put a lot of time and effort into crafting the story and world of the Hickory Staff. There was some interesting things going on in the Hickory Staff but I couldn't even bring myself to be excited, the stale dialogue and empty characters making it impossible to feel in ...more
Dave
I must start with saying that I usually don't like stories where people from our world are transplanted to an alternate world. In this novel, that didn't bother me so much. Other things did, however.

The authors managed to create some likable main characters, Steven and Mark, but without much depth, and with some traits which were force-fed to the reader at times. They adapt to another world and another language with surprising ease, without any explanation of the fact. They take matters into str
Gopal Shanbhag
Leaves you wanting to read more . have already bought the sequel.would rate the authors as one of the must read fantasy authors
its a different plot from the usual conventional ones. like the writing and treatment.
Albé Theunissen
I'm sorry to say I was bored while reading the series. I had to force myself the finish reading the trilogy. I kept on reading hoping that it will improve but alas, what a waste of time.
The two main characters are so bland and boring that it's hard to discern between the two. Only the names are different. The rest of the characters are uninteresting, the dialogue stilted and the humour (if you can call it that) is forced.
There are some great spellbounding, enchanting and wonderful written fantas
Jay
Dawn
Opening pages were intriguing though a bit gruesome. The story is going along well but I'm not sure were it's going. After a long introduction the story evolved and was very good but the story is far from over. My husband to my recommendation and read the book also and is waiting for me to finish the second book so he can continue on with it. I would say for anyone who likes Lord of the Rings they will probably like this.
Kelly B
My mom made me read this--she's obsessed with the series. It's a trilogy, so I'm going to start the second one soon. I liked it, it's about two guys in Denver who accidentally fall through a portal to another world. It has a good sense of humor and doesn't take itself too seriously. Nothing really compares to my feeling about joe abercrombie's First Law trilogy, but I will continue trying to fill the void!
Saoirse Sterling
A fantasy yarn wherein real world Earth men find themselves transported to another world, though that doesn't happen for several chapters. The most irksome part of this was the sheer disrespect of women, as one man dies his last thought is to fondle the breasts of the woman killing him. Slow, terribly written, but very, very fantasy yarn.
Carson Guillory
All of the certain elements that I love to read about were present in The Hickory Staff, yet I struggled through it. I have started and stopped reading it several times and put it down in favor of other books on my to read list. Having finished it, I only hope that the following installments do not provide the same problem. Otherwise a great book.
Lenna
This was quit enjoyable, though at times it had me sort of shaking my head at the slight overuse of Deus Ex Machina... But what the hell, right? It's Fantasy and this reminded me of the all of Fantasy I loved when I was growing up. There wasn't anything terribly new here but there was plenty of fun to be had.
Brett's Books
This book has all the elements of a sci fi or fantasy story I enjoy: interesting premise (alternate worlds that effect one another), engaging characters, magic or sorcery elements, interesting bad guy and the author isn't trying to push some agenda. Just good old escapism.
Jay
Took a while to get really into it but well worth the effort. Lots of interesting characters and plot lines but not hard to keep track of who is who.
Cat Dishman
Well written book. Kept me on the edge of my seat and by the end of the book I couldn't wait to read the 2nd one. Its a book I can read over and over.
Joseph Flint
Slow to get to the start of the actual story (there are several prologue chapters before reaching present day), but worth the wait once it gets going.
Jane
This is an alternate reality series. I really enjoyed this which is the first and can't wait to read the other two.
Ken
OK read, I found the story predictable. A poor man's 'Lord of the Rings' Gilmour = Gandalf
Wendy
Jul 28, 2011 Wendy added it
I was transported to another world, fantastic, cant wait to read book 2
Lennyriver
Did not like the start, but stuck with it and enjoyed the rest.
Sean Whatshisface
meh. couldn't finish. not my kind of book after all.
Paul
Oct 07, 2008 Paul is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
OK, it starts well, just as the blurb promised.
Lora
started a little rough. Ended up interesting.
Tammy
Pretty good, have to find the second one
Lena Donan
Fantasy podľa môjho gusta :)
TheFrenchman
Need to read the next one!
Chloe
Chloe is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2015
Gyasi
Gyasi marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Laemy_tbr
Laemy_tbr marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
  • The Braided Path
  • The Warrior's Bond (The Tales of Einarinn #4)
  • Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3)
  • The Mage-born Child
  • House of Bones (Point Horror Unleashed)
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • Jinn: A Novel
  • Ink (The Book of All Hours, #2)
  • The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)
  • Spirit: Or, The Princess Of Bois Dormant
  • A Pliocene Companion
  • Iron Angel (Deepgate Codex, #2)
  • The Second Book of Lankhmar
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume II (Omnibus: No Quarter / The Quartered Sea)
  • The Castings Trilogy (Castings, #1-3)
  • Orcs: Forged for War
  • The White Tribunal
Aka Rob Scott for the Eldarn fantasy trilogy written with his father-in-law Jay Gordon.
More about Robert Scott...

The Eldarn Sequence (3 books)
  • Lessek's Key: The Eldarn Sequence Book 2