Left Back: A Century of Battles over School  Reform

Left Back: A Century of Battles over School Reform

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  19 reviews
For the past one hundred years, Americans have argued and worried about the quality of their schools. Some charged that students were not learning enough, while others complained that the schools were not furthering social progress. In Left Back, education historian Diane Ravitch describes this ongoing battle of ideas and explains why school reform has so often disappointe...more
Published August 7th 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published August 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Left Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Left Back

W.K. Lawrence
Everyone involved in education should read this book and it should be mandatory reading for all first year teachers in training. Ravitch traces the real roots of all of the fads and labels we hear today and puts the entire history of school reform in historical perspective. What this book does is reveal how little those who peddle reform ideas today really know about the people and ideas they celebrate. This book will have you thinking about how we ought to reform the schools of education.
Andrew
Education is an incredibly complex topic that many don't understand. This book is an outstanding journey through the history of the last 150 years of education. It looks in depth at the battle between "progressives" and "traditionalists." This book is a must read for any educator and I would highly recommend it to any parent who has a child in or entering public education.
Sara
Crazy school reform has been around for a long time. (Remember Auntie Mame?) Every few years you read some article about the new school reform that's going to change everything. It turns out that these "new ideas" have been tried since the 1920s and 30s, and they have a history of not working. This book explains the history of school reform since about 1899.
deirdre
Great history.
Dry, yet informative ....

Reread for work ....
Tricia Jennings
Borrowed this from my Dad. Didn't realize it would make me happier to be homeschooling...
Rachel
Diane Ravitch's "Left Back" is a painstakingly thorough history of pedagogical trends in American public education. The book is, without question, a lot of work, but the careful reader will be rewarded with a much deeper understanding of the fascinating, infuriating, and often outrageous debates among pedagogical experts* and the ways that public schools have been affected by some of the most pivotal social, economic, and political changes of the 20th century (e.g., the great migration, the civi...more
Quang
As a good work of history should, this book gave me the immense benefit of learning that:

1) The current struggles in education reform aren't that new - People have been arguing for two hundred years about how to educate in America. The debates through the centuries echo our debates today: child-directed vs. curriculum-driven, vocation-oriented vs. liberal arts-focused, controlled by parents vs. by "pedagogical experts" etc.

2) Every struggle has a historical context rather than exists in an abstr...more
Gini
Ugh! I FINALLY finished this! Diane Ravitch, I love you but you are a dry, dry writer.

So much to say about this book, though.

I think it should be required reading for every education reformer, everyone who thinks they have any idea about how they can 'fix' education. Before you have solutions or the answers, you need to take the long view of the problem--see it for how complicated it is, its historical context…..its humbling, and if there is anything that reformers/activists of all stripes need...more
Willa
I am going to say I finished this one even though I didn't read every word. I read the first few chapters about the huge early 19th century changes. This wasn't altogether new to me because I had read the works of several authors who were either contemporaries of the reformers and deplored the novelties (Charlotte Mason, Pope Pius XI, Robert Schwickerath would be some contemporaries; Cardinal Newman would be someone who saw the beginnings of the movement in Britain and Europe). Also, I had read...more
Adam
Very thorough history of education in the United States. Very sad to see the cyclical decisions that continue to be made despite the obvious failures of the past.
Sharon
Ravitch does an excellent job laying out the path of progressive education, as well as its many shortcomings. The book suffers a bit from not having a lot of data to back up the superiority of her prferred liberal education (even though I agree with her). I'm looking forward to reading her next book and seeing how her thinking has evolved.
Tim Collins
Well researched, cited, and written. I found it gripping, and best of all, I have more perspective to continue reading about the various pedagogical movements within their historical context.
Steve
A well researched history of our public education system. Ms. Ravitch knows her subject and is quite thorough. Can public education be repaired? She seems to think so. I'm not so sure.
Malisa
This book is a research review. The writing is dry and unengaging, but if you suffer through it there is a complete and thorough history of American schools to be learned.
Marjory J
This book makes you think about what money and hubris have been doing - and continue to do - with our children's education and future.
Laura Tortorelli
Write a review...Everyone who has children or plans to have them or who teaches should read this book.
Benny Boo
Sep 22, 2007 Benny Boo rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Ugh! I am reading this for one of my classes. If you have insomnia this is the tome for you!
Wayne Stone
education - 100 years of social experimentation - and more to come
Linden
Left Back: A Century of Failed School Reforms by Diane Ravitch (2000)
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Wilson Boardman
Wilson Boardman marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Nora
Nora added it
Sep 02, 2014
Chandler Jechura
Chandler Jechura marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Susan Skinner
Susan Skinner marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Samantha Guido
Samantha Guido marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • The Schools We Need: And Why We Don't Have Them
  • The Flat World and Education: How America's Commitment to Equity Will Determine Our Future
  • Writings (Library of America #109)
  • Rich Media, Poor Democracy: Communication Politics in Dubious Times
  • The Greening of America
  • The Crisis of the Old Order 1919-33 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol 1)
  • Better Together: Restoring the American Community
  • The Debate on the Constitution : Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles and Letters During the Struggle over Ratification, Part Two: January to August 1788 (Library of America #63)
  • Lincoln: Speeches and Writings, 1859-1865 (Library of America #46)
  • Nixon Agonistes: The Crisis of the Self-Made Man
  • Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern
  • Higher Education?: How Colleges Are Wasting Our Money and Failing Our Kids---and What We Can Do About It
  • The End of Education: Redefining the Value of School
  • Why School?
  • The Great Good Place: Cafes, Coffee Shops, Bookstores, Bars, Hair Salons, and Other Hangouts at the Heart of a Community
  • Feel-Bad Education: And Other Contrarian Essays on Children and Schooling
  • Class Warfare: Inside the Fight to Fix America's Schools
  • White Collar: The American Middle Classes
The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privatization Movement and the Danger to America's Public Schools The Language Police:  How Pressure Groups Restrict What Students Learn The American Reader: Words That Moved a Nation The Troubled Crusade: American Education, 1945-1980