Start by marking “The Smallest Dragonboy (Dragonriders of Pern)” as Want to Read:
The Smallest Dragonboy (Dragonriders of Pern)

The Smallest Dragonboy (Pern (Chronological Order))

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,791 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
"The Smallest Dragonboy" is set during the Ninth Pass. It tells of Keevan, a boy who is a candidate for Ramoth's latest clutch in Benden Weyr. Keevan is shorter than the other candidates, and is teased about this by Beterli, a boy who has stood for eight Impressions and has not been chosen. Keevan works hard but his size leads most to underestimate his abilities. When he o ...more
Audiobook
Published 2002 (first published 1973)

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
185th out of 1,016 books — 1,953 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEragon by Christopher PaoliniHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHis Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
Best Book With or About Dragons
195th out of 531 books — 612 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Jul 29, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing
Before reading this short story in 7th grade English I despised reading. This story pulled me into an entirely new world. For the first time I enjoyed reading, nay I had an all consuming need to read. Within a month after reading this short story I had read the full Dragonriders of Pern series from Anne McCaffrey. From that time I haven't gone a day without reading something, be it a book, short stories, or fanfiction. This sudden change in my life opened me to how the littlest thing teachers ha ...more
Lorana
Jul 29, 2011 Lorana rated it it was amazing
The title story "The Smallest Dragonboy" was in a elementary school reader when I was in 3rd grade. From this short story, which I loved, I sought out the author and proceeded to read everything I could find that she wrote. It is from this story and this author that I get my love of fantasy.
Tiffanybell
Feb 25, 2012 Tiffanybell rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this short story in middle school and it's what sparked my interest in reading, particularly in fantasy novels. I went to the library, looked up the author and then proceeded to read every single book available by her. I absolutely love this short story and it will always have a special meaning to me. Thank you so much Anne McCaffrey for changing my life.
Sharai Curtis
Sep 30, 2014 Sharai Curtis rated it it was amazing
The Smallest Dragonboy is the book that started it all. I first read it eleven years ago in 7th grade. After reading this book, I was smitten with dragon books from then on. I love dragons. 2 years ago, in college, I remembered the story but forgot the title and author. I went back to that same 7th grade teacher and asked her to let me see the 7th grade reading/literature book, and tucked in with other stories... there it was! I borrowed it and read it once again, reliving a story I loved. I hav ...more
Corinne
Apr 04, 2014 Corinne marked it as notes  ·  review of another edition
This story is in A GIFT OF DRAGONS, GET OFF THE UNICORN and in THE CREATURES OF COSMOS
Josie Lynn Haertzen
Dec 26, 2015 Josie Lynn Haertzen rated it it was amazing
It is so great to see my experience with this novel reflected in the opinions of other reviewers. I enjoyed books before this, but I distinctly remember the tale of The Smallest Dragonboy above all and the impact it had on my life. I owe the Anne McCaffrey everything; I would not be the woman I am today without my mother's extensive collection of her books (which we now bicker over, because she --insists-- that my new-old copy of so-and-so appeared at my place around the same time her own disapp ...more
Nicky Penttila
Sep 24, 2013 Nicky Penttila rated it it was amazing
I read the title story, "The Smallest Dragonboy," in a school anthology in third grade (I think), and it changed my life. I already read all the time, but it was more a case of exercising my mind; this was the first story that touched my heart. I paid no attention to author's names then, and as the story was mixed in with so many others I probably didn't even learn it.

When I found another story like it, during my SFF binge in middle school, I couldn't believe my luck. By then I knew what authors
Vickey Foggin
Apr 06, 2016 Vickey Foggin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This story alone is great. It's about a small boy being chosen by a dragon, and is written in a way that would really connect with kids. I read it as part of a collection of short stories called Get off the Unicorn that was so boring I couldn't finish. So this story 4 stars, Get off the Unicorn 0 stars.
Matthew
Feb 22, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Great story! First read this in sixth grade and fell in love with it. I spent the next three years trying to find it outside of my school books and finally found it as part of a collection. This story is without a doubt one of my absolute favorite short stories.
Taggerung
Jun 14, 2015 Taggerung rated it liked it
This is a nice short story. Pern holds a certain appeal to me no matter how many times I've read the books or found new ones that I never knew existed, such as this one.

I wanted to enjoy this book more than I did, and while the ending was touching, there was nothing particularly appealing about the characters or story. A boy is teased for being small, he gets hurt but still comes out the winner in the end.

If it were longer and more developed, I think I'd rate it much higher.
Nicole Diamond
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Ashley L
Jun 01, 2014 Ashley L rated it it was amazing
This was the story that first got me into the whole series. I read it in middle school and thought it was charming and unique. Decided to see if there were more. Good life choice.
Casey
The Smallest Dragonboy is a short story by Anne McCaffrey in the Dragonriders of Pern universe. It is truly a very short story, there isn't a lot that happens, but it is a heartwarming story of Keevan, who wishes to be a dragonrider.

Reading this short story isn't integral to any of the plotting in the Pern series. The only thing that you would need to know if you wanted to skip this, is that dragons don't always pick a rider if no one is suitable.

It was nice to read something that was character
Simon Alvarez
Sep 17, 2015 Simon Alvarez marked it as to-read
how can i read this book online
Leslie Munoz
um idont know
Nate
Mar 16, 2014 Nate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-time
Amazing story
Brian Ackermann
Jul 27, 2015 Brian Ackermann rated it it was amazing
Loved it... what a great little story!
Karen
Nov 20, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
I read this book a hand-me-down teacher's edition literature book when I was in the fifth grade - the book could have been for 5th graders, or it could have been for older kids. I don't recall.

What I do know is that I loved the story. A year later I found a book about dragons at a 'friend's of the library sale' - it happened to be the first book of Pern, as I discovered when I got home to read it!

Thank you to the editor of my schoolbook for including this story!
Angie
Oct 03, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
read 9/28/15
Theresa
Jan 11, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
The smallest dragonboy
by Anne Mccaffrey
This is a beloved story using her smallest son as inspiration Kevan is a young boy that is put down and put apon, who finds love and friendship in dragons. this is a great beginning for the pern series, and an great concept of maternal love.
Alfredo
Nov 13, 2012 Alfredo rated it it was amazing
This book was part of my english compendium for 8th grade it made me a fan of anne for life. Her characters are amazing and super relatable to me growing up.
Jesenia
Jun 26, 2013 Jesenia rated it it was amazing
The short story that (incredibly) began my love for all books fantasy... in 5th grade
Misti
Jan 28, 2013 Misti rated it it was amazing
This is THE story that began my love of fantasy. Thank you, Ms McCaffrey.
Vaishnavi
Dec 10, 2011 Vaishnavi rated it it was amazing
I really liked the details i am a big fan of Anne McCafferey
Kayla
Sep 09, 2010 Kayla added it
I thought this book was good but not really my type of book.
Misty Moncrief
Dec 15, 2013 Misty Moncrief rated it really liked it
This was a fun little short story in the Series.
Mazil
Apr 03, 2011 Mazil rated it liked it
Nice little short story for fans of Pern.
Marina
Aug 03, 2013 Marina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in the antho A Gift of Dragons.
Lilbabe
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Legends II
  • Nebula Award Stories 3
  • Renunciates of Darkover (Darkover Series)
  • Vows and Honor
  • Gee (The Administration, #3.7)
  • Dragon Cauldron
  • Galactic Derelict (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #2)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Pern (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Pern, #12)
  • Dragonseye (Pern, #14)
  • Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)
  • Dragon's Fire (Pern, #19)
  • Dragon Harper (Pern, #20)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragon's Time (Pern, #23)