The Smallest Dragonboy (Dragonriders of Pern)

The Smallest Dragonboy (Pern (Chronological Order))

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  2,599 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"The Smallest Dragonboy" is set during the Ninth Pass. It tells of Keevan, a boy who is a candidate for Ramoth's latest clutch in Benden Weyr. Keevan is shorter than the other candidates, and is teased about this by Beterli, a boy who has stood for eight Impressions and has not been chosen. Keevan works hard but his size leads most to underestimate his abilities. When he o...more
Audiobook
Published 2002 (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Smallest Dragonboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smallest Dragonboy

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
335th out of 788 books — 1,524 voters
The Last Olympian by Rick RiordanHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Mark of Athena by Rick RiordanFire and Ice by Erin Hunter
Books I Rated Five-Star
90th out of 419 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Before reading this short story in 7th grade English I despised reading. This story pulled me into an entirely new world. For the first time I enjoyed reading, nay I had an all consuming need to read. Within a month after reading this short story I had read the full Dragonriders of Pern series from Anne McCaffrey. From that time I haven't gone a day without reading something, be it a book, short stories, or fanfiction. This sudden change in my life opened me to how the littlest thing teachers ha...more
Lorana
The title story "The Smallest Dragonboy" was in a elementary school reader when I was in 3rd grade. From this short story, which I loved, I sought out the author and proceeded to read everything I could find that she wrote. It is from this story and this author that I get my love of fantasy.
Tiffanybell
I remember reading this short story in middle school and it's what sparked my interest in reading, particularly in fantasy novels. I went to the library, looked up the author and then proceeded to read every single book available by her. I absolutely love this short story and it will always have a special meaning to me. Thank you so much Anne McCaffrey for changing my life.
Corinne
Apr 04, 2014 Corinne marked it as notes  ·  review of another edition
This story is in A GIFT OF DRAGONS, GET OFF THE UNICORN and in THE CREATURES OF COSMOS
Nicky Penttila
I read the title story, "The Smallest Dragonboy," in a school anthology in third grade (I think), and it changed my life. I already read all the time, but it was more a case of exercising my mind; this was the first story that touched my heart. I paid no attention to author's names then, and as the story was mixed in with so many others I probably didn't even learn it.

When I found another story like it, during my SFF binge in middle school, I couldn't believe my luck. By then I knew what authors...more
Theresa
This is a beloved story using her smallest son as inspiration Kevan is a young boy that is put down and put apon, who finds love and friendship in dragons. this is a great beginning for the pern series, and an great concept of maternal love.
Ashley L
This was the story that first got me into the whole series. I read it in middle school and thought it was charming and unique. Decided to see if there were more. Good life choice.
Casey
The Smallest Dragonboy is a short story by Anne McCaffrey in the Dragonriders of Pern universe. It is truly a very short story, there isn't a lot that happens, but it is a heartwarming story of Keevan, who wishes to be a dragonrider.

Reading this short story isn't integral to any of the plotting in the Pern series. The only thing that you would need to know if you wanted to skip this, is that dragons don't always pick a rider if no one is suitable.

It was nice to read something that was character...more
Nate
Amazing story
Karen
I read this book a hand-me-down teacher's edition literature book when I was in the fifth grade - the book could have been for 5th graders, or it could have been for older kids. I don't recall.

What I do know is that I loved the story. A year later I found a book about dragons at a 'friend's of the library sale' - it happened to be the first book of Pern, as I discovered when I got home to read it!

Thank you to the editor of my schoolbook for including this story!
Alfredo
This book was part of my english compendium for 8th grade it made me a fan of anne for life. Her characters are amazing and super relatable to me growing up.
Jesenia
The short story that (incredibly) began my love for all books fantasy... in 5th grade
Misti
This is THE story that began my love of fantasy. Thank you, Ms McCaffrey.
Vaishnavi
I really liked the details i am a big fan of Anne McCafferey
Kayla
Sep 09, 2010 Kayla added it
I thought this book was good but not really my type of book.
Misty Moncrief
This was a fun little short story in the Series.
Mazil
Nice little short story for fans of Pern.
Marina
Read in the antho A Gift of Dragons.
Ellyanna Martinez

Very good!! A must read.
Lilbabe
its a good book
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Lynda
Lynda marked it as to-read
Kelly
Kelly added it
Talinyn
Talinyn marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
  • The Ship Avenged
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Legends II
  • Vows And Honor
  • Darkover: First Contact (Darkover Omnibus, #6)
  • Dragon Cauldron
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)