Start by marking “The Good Fight: How World War II Was Won” as Want to Read:
The Good Fight: How World War II Was Won

The Good Fight: How World War II Was Won

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Stephen E. Ambrose, one of the finest historians of our time, has written an extraordinary chronicle of World War II for young readers. From Japanese warplanes soaring over Pearl Harbor, dropping devastation from the sky, to the against-all-odds Allied victory at Midway, to the Battle of the Bulge during one of the coldest winters in Europe's modern history, to the torment ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Good Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Fight

Bethany Vincent
I loved this book!! This is a great way to interest younger readers in WWII history, and is also great for adults as well. I love how the book has pictures on every page and gives quotes from people who actually fought in WWII. The Good Fight gives a great summary of what went on during WWII.
Ally Copper
Stephen E. Ambrose's "The Good Fight: How World War II Was Won" gives older elementary school (4th and 5th grade) and middle school readers a fast-paced, sweeping overview of World War II. The text is broken down into 45 sections, each focusing on a single topic, such as the Battle of Midway, Pearl Harbor, and V-E Day. This format allows readers to either begin at the front of the book and make their way through the war chronologically or to skip around to the topics that interest them most. The ...more
Dale
Great book for school age kids

Published in 2001 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Stephen E. Ambrose is perhaps best known as the author of Band of Brothers , the book that inspired the HBO mini-series of the same name. His passion for World War II continues in this book aimed at upper elementary through high school students.

While there is nothing new in this book, it is a fantastic introduction to the war. All of the major theaters are covered and, perhaps best of all, there is a full page 10
Alex Larsen
This nonfiction book chronicles the story of World War II and how it was won, mostly through describing various battles but also through describing efforts on the home fronts, as well as touching on other key subjects like the Holocaust. I think that overall Ambrose does a great job and I learned many things about WWII that I did not know previously. The writing style is simple enough for younger readers to comprehend, but his descriptions are still engaging enough for older readers. This book w ...more
Daniel K
The Good Fight
Boom! A sound that resonates in the heads of thousands of aged protectors of our freedom. The book The Good Fight by Steven E. Ambrose brought me right into the fiasco that was World War Two. This book went into every significant battle and brought me right next to the young men serving our country. This book covers battles like: Normandy, Leyte Gulf, Guadalcanal and many other crucial battles that this book gave me every detail and fact of every important battle. This book was sp
Mark
How do you condense the events that led up to World War 2, the key battles & strategic decisions of the war, and the aftermath (up to & including the Marshall Plan) into a 90 page book replete with pictures & maps? Very, very carefully.

And I have to say, I admire the job that Stephen Ambrose did on this book. It’s clearly written, lavishly illustrated and easy to follow – not a simple task for a war that was fought on two major fronts as well as many other places. He doesn’t (for the
Aviann
NONFICTION

This nonfiction book follows what Stephen E. Ambrose considers to be the most important and instrumental moments of WWII. The events include everything from Pearl Harbor, to the Holocaust, to D-Day. Ambrose includes personal soldier's narratives as well as many pictures to mirror the stories. Although the book is very informative on specific topics, it is not a very engaging read. The book would appeal to young adults or middle grade readers due to the pictures and simpler language, h
Amy
An interesting and important piece of literature that aids young readers in understanding the different aspects and battles relating to WWII.

There are synopsis, a box of quick facts, pictures (with captions) and maps for battles such as Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Tarawa, D-Day, Iwo Jima and more.

This above info. is also shown for topics such as "The Holocaust", "The War Over Europe", "The War Conferences", "The War Crimes Trials", "The Marshall Plan" and much more!

At the end is a glossary, bibli
Wendy
I enjoy reading anything and everything that Stephen Ambrose wrote, and "The Good Fight" is no exception. This book is a concise yet thorough overview of the major events of World War II. I actually found it in the juvenile section, and planned on reading it to my kids, but I don't think they're old enough yet to learn about the Kamakazies and concentration camps. The full-age photos and maps are great for visualization. A quick, good read to help me appreciate the sacrifice of the many, many so ...more
Avaladez1
This book gives a lot of info on ww2 as well as my last book. This book was about the way ww2 started and ended. It gives you a full walk through on the historical happenings of ww2. It even has a speech written by Adolf Hitler himself.
The reason I chose this book was to gather a little more knowledge on the events and operations of ww2. I didnt know a lot about ww2 so I thought this would be the perfect book for me. I also wanted to know why the Nazis did what they did.
Joseph
It is a good book on the overview of WWII. I am not sure I can give it 4 stars, but it is good. I found out after I got it from the library that it is more for the middle school, HS age people to read. I enjoyed the colorful pictures it had along with the info though. It is like a good coffee table book sort of... It is only 90 pages and half of them are pictures, so quick read.
Lydia
Designed, perhaps, for younger readers (or those with very little knowledge/understanding of WWII), I found this book excellent. The timelines, photos, and general layout of the book worked together to create a narrative story that explained the background, themes, and outcomes of one of the most talked about war of our time.
Matthew
This book while written for middle-school age children, provided some decent information and some truly exceptional graphics. The book is recommended to those who want a quick overview of key events of the Second World War as well as those searching for particularly well done charts and maps.
Jenny
This was an interesting read. It says it is for kids ages 7+ - but there is a lot more descriptions that I feel could be more appropriate for other kids. It was interesting to read that Germany surrendered first but Japan wouldn't surrender until the 2 bombs were dropped.
Kyle Cruz
I like this book because it has history in it. A fact about it,is that it was the most destructive war in the history of human kind.I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to learn about history.It has alot of usfull facts about the subject.
Kara Smith
A narrative of WWII really broke this historical battle down for those of us whom are not history buffs! I appreciated the abundant amount of text features, and am confident that young readers would definitely walk away more informed!
Renee
Jan 10, 2012 Renee added it
Shelves: new, read-2012
If I had had this book as a kid, I would have gone nuts over it, and read it all the time. Alas, I didn't but I can want a couple of copies for my classroom! (And myself.)
Tracie
This is a really great non-fiction book that is great for teaching. It explains different aspects of WWII with a lot of pictures and short, clear text.
Monica
I used this book to garnish trivia questions to stump my history-channel-watching, World War II buff, husband. It was very fun and I learned something too.
Wabernathy
A fantastic overview of the American involvment in WWII.
The book features a basic coverage of WWII, and excellent photos and maps.
Curtiss
A brief look at America's role in World War II, and the moral imperative of her cause.
B
J 940.53 A A fun read on World War II with lots of photos, maps, etc.
Dawn Roberts
Another outstanding pictorial of WW II. My 8yo WWII buff loved this one.
Sandra Stiles
Very interesting. A favorite of my eighth grade boys.
Janette
Condensed overview of WW II with great pics!
Frank
An excellent book for youth.
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • If Your Name Was Changed At Ellis Island
  • Heart Mountain
  • The Perilous Journey of the Donner Party
  • On The Wings of Heroes
  • Faithful Elephants: A True Story of Animals, People, and War
  • Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration During World War II and a Librarian Who Made a Difference
  • Loon: A Marine Story
  • The Harmonica
  • Whistle
  • Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science
  • Seldom Disappointed: A Memoir
Stephen Edward Ambrose was an American historian and biographer of U.S. Presidents Dwight Eisenhower and Richard M. Nixon. He received his Ph.D. in 1960 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

More about Stephen E. Ambrose...
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest Undaunted Courage: The Pioneering First Mission to Explore America's Wild Frontier D-Day, June 6, 1944: The Battle for the Normandy Beaches Citizen Soldiers: The U S Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany Nothing Like it in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-69