Start by marking “Unveiled: How an American Woman Found Her Way Through Politics, Love and Obedience in the Middle East” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Unveiled: How an Ameri...

Deborah Kanafani

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  24 reviews
In the early 1980s, Deborah Jacobs was an ordinary Lebanese American college student from Long Island, New York. By the end of the decade, she would bear witness to the making of international history. Her story begins in graduate school: through a series of chance encounters, young Deborah was introduced to Marwan Kanafani, a dashing former soccer star turned high-ranking ...more
Audio CD
Published January 1st 2008 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about Unveiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unveiled

Carol
**Book club members, beware of spoilers!***
I was so grateful when this stupid, spoiled American couldn't choose when to see her kids becuase something finally happened to her. It made the 130 pages of crap I had to read beforehand mean something. But then I continued to be disappointed. Two of the biggest problems in the Middle East are its treatment of women and its reliance on nepotism. She was dumb enough to let her children be taken to Palestine and hadn't bothered to educate herself on her
Anne Miller
I could not put this book down. It is about an American woman who marries a charming but controlling high powered Middle East diplomat she meets at the UN. He eventually becomes Arafat's senior advisor and she lives behind the scenes in very interesting political circles. There are intimate stories of world leaders that would be hard to find anywhere else, She eventiually divorces and her father who is as grandiose and narcissistic as her husband goes on trial for a white collar crime and she lo ...more
Sharon Rosenberg-Scholl
This book was up and down for me. The whole first section I found mostly uninteresting and it just seemed like she was more name-dropping than anything else, listing famous or rich people she had met but she didn't seem to have anything of depth to say about them.

However, as the story went on parts of it were quite captivating - her experiences in middle east, particularly as related to her children, some of the people she met who were doing courageous peacemaking work.

But all in all it seemed
Kathleen Hagen
Unveiled: How an American Woman Found Her Way Through Politics, Love, and Obedience in the Middle East,
Deborah Kanafani, Narrated by Suzanne Toren, produced by Recorded Books.

The author’s family was from Lebanon but were American citizens. Deborah was raised in a world which veered between her mother and stepfather’s quieter life, to her father’s life of associating with the richest and wealthiest men, including kings and politicians, in the Middle East. She married a man who became one of the
Mona Abbas
This is one of those books that stays with you after you have finished reading. This is one book that I know will be on my mind for many days to come. A story about an american marrying a man from the middle east, and with time had to live with those rules that "man created in the name of religion" because it is a man's world we live in.
she tells of her struggle to stay with her kids and be their mother "even from a distance"

And the story is told around the time of the war in the middle east,
Judy
This book was okay and I liked it well enough. It is just that the contents, in my opinion, did not live up to the title. It is more about a series of meetings with important men and women who are involved with the Middle East chaos, and particularly with the Palestinians, than it is about the author's finding "her way through politics, love, and obedience". I felt she was not interested in politics except as it relates to women's rights. Both her Lebanese father (born in Mexico and later educat ...more
Stephanie
One of those culture-clash-relationship stories, in this case a woman who marries a powerful man (high ranking Palestinian diplomat, photos of him at Arafat's side, etc.

So the author is swept off her feet, and lives the fast life in a whirlwind of high-level politics, etc.

so, fast forward to the inevitable divorce, the kids are living with the father on the West Bank, and (big surprise) he won't return them to her.

So she stays in the Middle East for years to be around her kids, and writes the
Peg
May 20, 2008 Peg rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in MiddleEast from Palestinian point of view
Recommended to Peg by: Stacey Richardson lent me her copy
Subtitle "how an American woman found her way through politics, love and obedience in the middle east" says most of it.
The author serves on the boards of several Israeli-Palestinian peace organizations, has written and produced programs on children's and women's rights for UNICEF and various European countries.
The book is her story of marrying into the Arab world by marrying the senior advisor of Yasir Arafat. The book includes details of her friendships with the wives of Palestinian leaders. Th
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
I'm really disapointed with this book. Deborah told more about other peoples lives than she did her own.
Deborah's father provided a comfortable life for her and her two children and when he was no longer able to provide for her she moved to her exhusbands country expecting him to provide for her. What she got was a slap in the face! Her exhusband told her the children would be living with him from then on.
In my opinion Deborah wasn't to upset about her children being taken from her since she h
The subject was interesting--especially the stories of the other women she met and interviewed.
Nan
I was divided on this book and found it dragged. It was not until the middle of the book that Kanafani captured me into this book. It shows what happens with women who have married into the Arabic culture and what happens when the woman wants to exercise her freedoms. I recommend reading this account so as to point out to women the difficulties in mixing western ways with middle east ways. She loses her children and only owing to her contacts is she able to stay an important part of her children ...more
Becca
Interesting story of an American who chose to voluntarily move to the Middle East after her husband took her children from her in their divorce. It certainly isn't an "edge of your seat" type of book on women in this part of the world, but it is a unique perspective on the topic. She also highlights women in the area who are working for peace and equality, which was another area that is largely untouched by authors and the media.
Barbara
I was disappointed by this book. Contrary to the title, the author never wore the veil and saw the Middle East through the eyes of a privileged Westerner given unusual access because of her husband and later ex-husband's connections. It got more interesting toward the end as she moved to Gaza, at some personal sacrifice, to be near her children. But I learned more from other books I've read on women in this part of the world.
Tracie
Very interesting memoir. So many interesting dynamics in her personal relationships. Now I want to read the memoirs of her ex-husband and many of the men and women she recorded personal histories for. It also makes me want to go back and read materials I devoured in college about the Palestinian, Israeli and Arab leaders.
Kathleen
I found the author's portion to be too self-aggrandizing, but the info from the Palestinian view point regarding Israel/Palestine was very interesting. The portions about significant middle eastern women were fascinating.
Deborah Sanford
good but not as educational as other books that I have read regarding struggles of women in the middle east. Very surface and political.I couldn't relate to this women very well when it came to being a mother either.
Sara
I love books like this, giving a first-hand account of life in different cultures. It really opens up your eyes and makes you grateful for the life you have.
Gina
Lots of info about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which was interesting. But the personal story of the author didn't really engage me.
Susan Burnett
Very interesting look at the world of Israeli and Palestinian conflicts. Also a very rare look at Yasar Arafat's private life.
Kendra
May 13, 2008 Kendra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just listened to the author, Deborah Kanafani, on Fresh Air and she sounds very interesting. Perhaps the next library pick up.
Jo
day to day details behind a Palistinian viewpoint of Arafat and women who try to fight sharia law
Tiffany
Interesting. Will be reading more on this topic because of this book.
Sara
My cousin is the author of this book!
Lu
ok book about mide east
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Nurella
Nurella marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Unveiled Kate Kate The Fashion Plate Unveiled: How an American Woman Found Her Way Through Politics, Love, and Obedience in the Middle East Kate kate The Fashion Plate