Start by marking “Be of Good Cheer” as Want to Read:
Be of Good Cheer

Be of Good Cheer

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Shortly before his crucifixion, the Savior told his disciples: "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33.) In Be of Good Cheer, Elder Marvin J. Ashton, a member of the Council of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, shares his insights about how to be happy. He discusses pure religion, e ...more
Published August 1st 1987 by Deseret Book Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Be of Good Cheer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be of Good Cheer

Nohreen
Love this great little book!

"Being of good cheer makes it possible for us to turn all of our sunsets into sunrises.
With good cheer, carrying our cross can be our ladder to happiness. When Jesus comes into our lives, cheer lights the way. How powerful and comforting is the Savior’s declaration, “In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33.)"
Jenalyn C
Elder Ashton's remarks and his voice have always been comforting to me. I had the opportunity to learn more about him from his friend Ronald Millett today. Bro. Millett worked at Deseret Book for 30 years and he and his wife Susan spent much time with the Ashtons. The world is full of interesting people!
Barbara Lovejoy
I always loved Marvin J. Ashton. His talks were always so down-to-earth. Therefore, I was anxious to read this book. It is filled with so much wisdom I want to apply in my life.
Kathy
Just what I needed! I miss Elder Ashton. He was always to gentle and inspiring. This book is the next-best thing. A great pick-me-up, especially the first several chapters.
Tina
One great book, for anyone going throught tough times, that has depression or just needs a pick me up. Great reminder of what it is to truly, be of good cheer.
Teresakearl
Just What the world needs, more happiness, less discouragement.
Blake Simpson
Blake Simpson marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Maddie Taylor
Maddie Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Nolan
Nolan marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Mgguillory
Mgguillory marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
J.
J. added it
Oct 13, 2014
Lerato Moloto
Lerato Moloto marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Leonywin Fuentebella
Leonywin Fuentebella marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Nora Palomino
Nora Palomino marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Dan Earl
Dan Earl marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Kathy
Kathy added it
Aug 11, 2013
Gordon
Gordon marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
David Peterson
David Peterson marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Elicia
Elicia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2013
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2013
Kayleen
Kayleen marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
193168
Marvin Jeremy Ashton was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1971 until his death.

Ashton was born in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was the son of Marvin O. Ashton, a prominent local leader of the LDS Church who later became a general authority of the church. The younger Ashton worked in the lumber business as a youth. He graduated from t
More about Marvin J. Ashton...
One for the Money The Measure of Our Hearts What is your destination? Ye Are My Friends The Tongue Can Be a Sharp Sword and While They Are Waiting and "Be of Good Cheer"