Start by marking “Fire Sign (featuring Dr. Anja Toussaint)” as Want to Read:
Fire Sign (featuring Dr. Anja Toussaint)

Fire Sign (featuring Dr. Anja Toussaint)

A beautiful forensic engineer hiding a tragic past reluctantly teams up with a troubled cop to stop a serial arsonist targeting churches.

Dr. Anja Toussaint believes that her own dreadful youth foretells who the arsonist is and the shocking motive behind the fires. But Detective Gil Dolan stubbornly sets his sights on a white supremacist previously convicted of arson and j
Published July 26th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Fire Sign, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Sign

Sapphyria
Jul 14, 2016 Sapphyria rated it really liked it
Book 1 in the Dr. Anja Toussaint series by M.A. Petterson is a well-crafted novella. Anja is a forensic engineer pairs with a cop when churches are being torched by arsonists. The unlikely pairing brings discomfort, misunderstandings, and possibly a small amount of trust. When you have to investigate arson, it's best to have each other's back. When you're partner does his own thing, though, it may just be the death of you both.

Anja is a forensic engineer who's specialty is fire. Gil Dolan is a d
Pamela King
Aug 29, 2014 Pamela King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This murder mystery is different in many ways. Firstly, it is a novella and first of a series featuring arson investigator Dr Anja Toussaint, an intriguing yet strong character and knowledgeable professional. This approach to storytelling reminded me of the old movie serials when I was a child; each is a complete story but each has you coming back for the next episode.

In a 15,000 words M. A. Petterson manages to gradually develop strong characters, albeit with mysteries surrounding their backgr
S.A. Molteni
Aug 31, 2014 S.A. Molteni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Fire Sign" by M.A. Petterson is a nicely crafted short length novella that begins the author's series with a very hot start that is sure to light your fire.

The main character, Anja Toussaint is an expert in fire and works for the Fire Marshal's office. When a string of arsons happen at several local churches, the urgency to solve the crimes become paramount. Anja is teamed with a police sergeant, Gil Dolan, who is not a very likable character, but one that Anja will need to work closely with to
Lara Girdler
Dec 17, 2014 Lara Girdler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fires are a tragedy that can strike at a moment’s notice, a small drop of a spark can ignite a fire that can devastate lives in a heartbeat – those are accidental in nature and not something one can predict; then there are other times when those fires are set intentionally with the intent of destruction, this form of fire crime is known as Arson - in fact so much so that where I live just recently a fire destroyed a condominium building displacing several families and killing two. The young man ...more
Sue1958

When this author M A Petterson dropped me an email asking if I would consider reading his series and saying he thought I would enjoy them as its my kind of read. I wasn't sure, I knew this looked like the author had put a lot into getting his book presentable, I can see this by the cover of this book and his other one. Just never sure of what's inside are you when its a new author to you :) but this is what I do, its what I love to do, I love to help Indie/self published authors get reviews for
Bob Boze
Jul 14, 2016 Bob Boze rated it it was ok
This review is written by Bob Boze on behalf of Truth About Books

This review is very difficult. If I were reading this book on my own, I likely would not have finished it. However, because I was asked to review it, I hung in there. In the end, I found it interesting but more as a text book on forensic science, than a mystery.

Fire Sign is a short novella, listed under women’s adventure, mystery thriller. I would classify it more as a text book on forensic science with an attempt to throw in a mys
Bella
Apr 03, 2015 Bella rated it really liked it
(I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.)

On the whole, I enjoyed this story. It was a quick and fairly easy read, and I really loved the premise/set-up of the main character as the forensic engineer/arson investigator, particularly a woman. I’m not entirely sure if I liked Anja or not, but she’s the type of character that I think was written that way. She made for a unique narrative voice, though, and I did like that.

Some elements of Anja, and Dolan, felt kind of stereotyped,
Aly
Dec 26, 2014 Aly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

In Fire Sign by M.A. Petterson, the author creates descriptive scenes that are succinct but very well done. I could honestly see the scenes playing out in front of me and it wasn't hard to understand what was happening as things were explained in terms that were easily understood.

There was a unique style of writing that almost seemed as if there was some kind of narrator in the background, telling the story as it played out in front of you.
Jacqueline Thomas
Fire Sign was a hot read from beginning to end. Dr. Anja Toussaint, a forensic arson investigator, must find the person responsible for the burning down of four churches. Dr. Toussaint quickly surmises who she believes the arsonist may be, but she is in the wrong place at the right time when St. Francis suddenly goes up in smoke. Is she the arsonist as Officer Gil Dolan thinks? Can she find the arsonist? Readers will be pleasantly surprised in the end when the arsonist is revealed.

What I Did Not
Star
FIRE SIGN is a novella which introduces the reader to Dr. Anja Toussaint. She’s a forensic engineer who is called in to determine the origin and cause of some recent fires. While Anja believes the perpetrator has a haunted past, the police detective she’s paired with is fixated on a paroled white supremacist. They’re both stubborn and this leads them right into a trap from which they may never escape. I liked Anja and her no-nonsense attitude and her confidence which cover up a multitude of ...more
Pam Batchelor
Nov 18, 2015 Pam Batchelor rated it it was amazing
This was a great intro to amazing characters. Anja's back story is only touched on briefly, but you know that she's been through a lot in her life. As a forensic Arson investigator, she knows how tough it can be in a "mans" job. She's teamed up with Officer Gil Dolan. A hard, unwilling to change cop who thinks he knows it all when it comes to the investigation. Neither wants to deal with the other, but they need to find out who's setting fires at churches around the city. When Anja profiles the ...more
Sandra Lopez
There is an arsonist that is burning down churches, and the case was set to locate and convict.

Starting off in the 1st person POV, the story relays the investigation process, which involved police protocol and forensic evidence. Not very stimulating. I didn’t even know who was telling the story.

It started off okay with the fire in the church, but the excitement of a good thriller was weakened by a complex plot and a stagnant pace. The writing was rudimentary.

I just couldn’t quite get into it.
Mandy Walkden-Brown
Well written novella. Very realistic descriptions of both the fire in the training facility and the church. The author either has a background in fire fighting or has done some impressive research. I kept smelling smoke while reading this. Finally had to put it down and discovered a firebug had set the pine tree in my front garden on fire. Irony.
The forensic engineer and the detective are both quite damaged people and it's compelling reading watching them work toward a solution.
A most enjoyabl
Ted Tayler
Jul 13, 2015 Ted Tayler rated it really liked it
"This could light your fire"

An extremely well written novella that crackles like the flames that feature heavily in the story line. A female fire investigator as the main character made a pleasant change and Dr. Anja Toussaint is a strong, intelligent woman who I can see holding her own in other stories in this niche genre. Gil Dolan was the 'go to' colleague that we see all too often; the cop who has 'issues'. The sparks flew at the fire scenes they attended and there was enough action and tens
Jay S
Feb 03, 2016 Jay S rated it really liked it
Dr. Anja Toussaint is an arson investigator, tasked to investigate fires in churches. She believes it is arson, and the firebug is sending a message - to GOD. She wants to go beyond her assignment and help the person causing the fires.

M. A. Petterson did research in this area, and I learned more of fire investigation from reading this story. (Learning why reading a story is always good.) My main objection was that the story was too short.
Mary Ann
Jun 23, 2015 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
Good pacing; however I could have done without the 'sex scene'. One can't help but wonder if there is a sequel to check out. The heroine may have experienced some of the same problems as the actual arsonist. If we only realized the problems that arise because of selfish acts.
Gail
Mar 24, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing
very good

Woman fire inspector tries to find out who is setting fires n all the churches. Great character with a secret in her past. The story isn't terribly long, but it makes up for it by being very interesting. I enjoyed it and will definitely read the next.
Dorothy Roskey
Jul 08, 2015 Dorothy Roskey rated it liked it
Ok read.

Not really one of the best books I read. It is not my type of book. But it was interesting.
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Fiirst book

I read the second book 1st and probably a good thing. It was much better written than the beginning book
Velvetink
Jul 11, 2015 Velvetink marked it as to-read
kindle
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
glenn cracknell
glenn cracknell rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2015
Albert Byrd
Albert Byrd rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
dorothy maroni
dorothy maroni rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Debbie Tanksley
Debbie Tanksley rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
PAULETTE PASCO
PAULETTE PASCO rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Terri A
Terri A rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Marci  Williams
Marci Williams rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Sheila Myers
Sheila Myers rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
priyanka
priyanka rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Diary
  • Don's Great Escape: Life in a German POW Camp
  • Why Authors Fail: 17 Mistakes Self-Published Authors Make That Sabotage Their Success (And How To Fix Them)
  • Dead Drift (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #4)
  • Teaching Patience (Homespun)
  • Love, Forgiveness & Horseshoes
  • The Bride
  • Four Gifts for Aria
  • Our Song
  • Healthy Habits: 13 Morning Habits That Help You Lose Weight, Feel Energized & Live Healthy
  • Loved By The Cowboy (A Sexy Contemporary Western)
  • First Impressions
  • The Crippled Bride and The Ambitious Miner (Mail Order Brides of Western Romance #1)
  • The Wolf's Lair: Inside Hitler's Germany
  • The Spa at Winter Beach
  • The Day Before 9/11
  • The Female Correspondent
  • You Smiled (Clairmont Series #1.5)