Start by marking “The Halloween Man” as Want to Read:
The Halloween Man

The Halloween Man

A mysterious New England village. A stolen child. An ancient ritual. A legend of shadows. A terrifying birthright. Who holds the key to the chilling mystery of Stonehaven and its desolate woods — and what unspeakable creature remains trapped within its summer mansion?From New York Times bestselling author Douglas Clegg comes a riveting, edge-of-your-seat supernatural thril ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Leisure Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Halloween Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Halloween Man

Oct 29, 2008 silvia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
this book was really a plesant surprise. it was so much better that what I expected!

in the middle of the nigth a kid profhet is kidnaped from is cult. the reasons ofr that are somewere in the past of the kdnaper. and we are brogth back to the birth and childhood of stony crawford in a small new englad village. He always felt he was different but its only after he falls inlove whit the beutifull and young lourdes maria that all hell breaks lose around him.

I really liked the way ths story is spine
Nov 12, 2010 Bandit rated it it was amazing
Great book.
Feb 16, 2011 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is the second Douglas Clegg book I've read. I've been interested in his work after finding The Nightmare Chronicles in a thrift book store and was lucky to find this one as well.

This is very much unlike your usual horror fare. It's told is mostly flashbacks and tells of the childhood of Stony Crawford. Much of the story isn't actually scary at all, but helps focus on characters and plot development. (However, I felt that there was a tad too much filler sex for my taste.) It seems to focus q
Apr 25, 2011 Georgia rated it it was amazing
The book I found in a bazar in school and hid it from the other kids like Tom Riddle before he became Voldemort because I had no money to buy it.

I think it was the first book with bloody bludgeonings and secret cults and boobies and weird moving tattoos I've ever read.
Oct 15, 2016 Robert rated it did not like it
The sections, chapters, and breaks in the book hamper the flow with an unnecessary excess of pauses that disrupt the pacing; rather than neatly quilting they become knotted and messy (also inconsistent- all the chapters have titles except for 15 and 26). The characters are lame and one dimensional, especially Van who is essentially a walking libido. The details and descriptions are vague (Moonfire- something that I'm still not certain what it is exactly), conflicting (empty eyes filled with tear ...more
Apr 16, 2012 Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This was good tale about the secrets of a rich coastal town family, and the legend/horror that follows years later. 3.5 stars.
Jeff O'Brien
Aug 29, 2012 Jeff O'Brien rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I just finished this and I think it was my favorite book ever. Instead of reviewing this book I'm just going to say that Douglas Clegg is the best horror writer out there. I mean, this book was beyond unconventional horror. It was brilliant, suspenseful, intricate, complex, etc, etc, etc. It was all over the place but stayed right in your face the whole time. That's as much, possibly more, than I even want to say about it. Just read it.
Robin Edman
Oct 04, 2012 Robin Edman rated it it was amazing
This book is genuinely chilling. A good boy meets a good girl, and they love each other. They make their first child, which should be pure and blessed, no matter how accidental the conception, but the existence of the child brings all the old secrets out into the open. This is what happens when a good, sweet child finds himself manipulated by corrupt humans into the presence of the oldest of evils, discovering that the evil that he would escape has been worked into his very genetics.
Nov 03, 2012 Roxanne rated it it was ok
While it had its moments (Nora and her stories!), I just couldn't get over the "meh" of the rest of it. While there was a lot of horrific stuff (graphic sex murders abound), there wasn't a lot of horror.

There was a lot of super cringeworthy dialogue and I couldn't get over the feeling that Clegg has like eight different stories here he tried to tell without actually telling any of them. Lots of plot elements were brought in without being wrapped up or explained - not that everything must be expl
Mark Tallen
Dec 19, 2012 Mark Tallen rated it it was ok
2.5 stars is probably my real score for this novel
Matt Garcia
Feb 20, 2016 Matt Garcia rated it it was amazing
Dark, menacing and extremely ominous in tone. The Halloween Man is a superbly executed coming of age tale of sorts that draws you into the macabre little town of Stonehaven and does not relinquish it's hold until the final page. Clegg is a gifted writer who knows how to capture all the emotions that we have all felt as an adolescent and put them into words. The unique premise and foreboding and forlorn nature of the novel are emblazoned within the story that involves events of cataclysmic propor ...more
Glenn Rolfe
Oct 08, 2014 Glenn Rolfe rated it it was amazing
The Halloween Man is part Richard Laymon, part Stephen King, and part Robert McCammon. It's brutal, imaginative, and beautiful. A book of mysteries, of life and love and death. Douglas Clegg pulls together one hell of a yarn.
If you haven't read this one yet, now is the time.
I've been meaning to read this one for quite some time, and figured Halloween was the perfect season.

I really enjoyed the beginning of the story, but then it breaks off into a couple of different "flashback" sequences..... While one of these helped shed light on the current story, the other seem too far removed to be on any interest to me, when I wanted to get back to the main storyline.

Going with a middle of the road rating for this one.
Sep 29, 2014 Gary rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This book was a good read with a new spin on an old story. It was loaded with flashbacks, which is something I normally have mixed feelings about. Sometimes they can work well and at other times they seem to jar the continuity of the plot. This time it did both. As the plot neared the climax, I understood why the author chose to use the technique as heavily as he did and it all came together nicely.
I enjoyed the story more when the flashback mode switched over to the present, although there defi
Dec 12, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
This story takes place in the small New England fishing village of Stonehaven. There are many dark and mysterious things awaiting this 15 year old boy name Stony Crawford. Stony is in love with Lourdes and they are going to have a child. Lourdes is supposed to meet Stony the next day so they can run away together. Something terrible happens to Lourdes and that never happens. The story takes off from there. Stolen at birth, Stony finds out from Nora(the tale spinner)that his parents are not reall ...more
Randolph Carter
Oct 14, 2014 Randolph Carter rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, fiction
A pretty good book. I was disappointed by Neverland, the only other Douglas Clegg book I've read, but this was fine and a great October book. Clegg creates great characters a la McCammon and gives them life. We care about Stony Crawford and his dilemma. The story was suspenseful but a little difficult to follow at times due to all the jumping around. Clegg has a creative plot and a clever resolution. I thought the writing was above average for this type of mmpb horror and a delight to read.
Oct 19, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I was a little annoyed initially that it was all over the place but it was necessary after a while. It was very vivid and fast paced towards the end. I will be reading more Douglas Clegg books!
Nov 09, 2014 Teresa rated it did not like it
I am not a quitter, but I came real close with this book. My curiosity alone is what kept me going to finish this book. I have read other books by Douglas Clegg, and I have enjoyed them. This one? Nope. I would not recommend.
Mar 13, 2015 George rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Αρκετά περίεργο και ιδιαίτερο το βιβλίο του Ντάγκλας Κλεγκ που μόλις τελείωσα, δεν μπορώ να πω όμως ότι ξετρελάθηκα ή ότι θα το πρότεινα σε μη φανατικούς της σειράς βιβλίων τρόμου των εκδόσεων Οξύ. Και αυτό γιατί υπήρξε αρκετό μπέρδεμα χωρίς λόγο, πολλά μπρος-πίσω στην πλοκή και οι χαρακτήρες μου φάνηκαν κάπως επίπεδοι και αδιάφοροι. Σαν ιστορία έχει το ενδιαφέρον της και ως ένα σημείο θα τραβήξει την προσοχή του αναγνώστη, όμως στο τέλος ίσως τον κουράσει λιγάκι. Αυτό έγινε και με μένα.

Πως έχει
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 24, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it liked it
The Halloween Man wasn't very memorable but it was entertaining and kind of fun to read for the most part.
Lana Hart
Aug 26, 2015 Lana Hart rated it liked it
After reading "Dinner With the Cannibal Sisters" and not being overly impressed with the lack of horror (though a fan of Clegg's prose), I moved on to "The Halloween Man," and I find myself a little disappointed. The concept wasn't a bad one, necessarily, and once again, Clegg's prose is well done. But the unknowable evil was a little too unknowable, a little too unmotivated, a little too unexplained, so what might have been frightening was more confusing for me than anything else.

Too much time
Oct 06, 2015 Nate rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, halloween
4.5 stars for The Halloween Man. So close to 5, but just a couple of niggles. One criteria I'm developing for 5 star reads is a desire to reread, and I certainly have that with this, my first Douglas Clegg book. I already plan on busting this one out next fall.
The horror and excellent writing combined with an excellent historical concept and emotional depth make this book stand out among the many great horror novels I have read in the last few years. I highly recommend this to any fans of horror
Olivia Fowler
I gave up I this murky mess at about 60% of the way through. Demons, crazy people, and ancient rituals just don't scare me. In fact, that's basically my childhood in a nutshell. Yawn.
Feb 02, 2016 Fuzziekit rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2016 GDR rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While there were a few highlights throughout to spark moments of interest, I didn't get involved in this one until the last 20 pages or so. Getting there was a hell of a drudge. The characters are pretty one-dimensional. Their actions, emotions and personalities sometimes very disjointed and confusing. The ultimate goal of the big bad is vague. What little is presented clearly filled me with a deep sense of "Meh".

Reading this was a chore and there were several moments where I had to fight the de
Sep 19, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, over the top mythic story along with some regular chills and gore. Probably my favorite I've read from Clegg so far.
Oct 15, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it
A good Halloween read, ghostly supernatural tale takes place on the New England coastal town of Stonehaven. A town with dark secrets and very dark history. Follow "Stony Crawford's journey through all the history of a crumbling town. Clegg does deliver with the fear and nightmares. A book perfect for the fall season
Oct 17, 2016 Darren rated it it was amazing
From the opening sentence, this book grabs you and then takes you on a journey across the country and through time. The main body of the book takes place in a small New England town, a town so small that everyone remembers the stories of when the residents were born, especially the birth of Stony Crawford. Everyone remembers the birth of Stony Crawford, and as the book goes along you discover what makes his birth so unique.
Everything that happens in the book is related to Stony and what sets him
Mary Johnson
Not as scary as some of the costumes I've seen.

With this title and this time of year, I expected it to be scarier. But I was disappointed. I would recommend it to my friends, only because their threshold of scary is a lot lower than mine.
paced reading hor...: * October Group Read - The Halloween Man by Douglas Clegg - 75% Spoilers - Enjoy! 15 11 Oct 24, 2016 05:59AM
Douglas Clegg 5 13 Oct 28, 2012 08:17PM
  • Stranger
  • Hallows Eve
  • Halloween
  • Crimson
  • October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween
  • The Reach
  • The Shore (The Pines Trilogy, #2)
  • Deep in the Darkness
  • The Backwoods
  • The Everlasting
  • Like Death
  • Queen of Blood (House of Blood, #2)
  • She Wakes
  • The Harvest
  • Coffin County
  • Dead Leaves: 8 Tales from the Witching Season
  • November Mourns
  • Bad Apples: Five Slices of Halloween Horror

“On the desert, there was no October; there was only summer and hell. “Where” 1 likes
“All that was left within him longed to just make it right, to just somehow make it right again.” 1 likes