Start by marking “Highland Warrior” as Want to Read:
Highland Warrior

Highland Warrior

The flame-haired virago bearing down on Ross MacKenna was far too shapely to be a seasoned warrior, but she was just as deadly. As she engaged him on the battlefield, Ross knew her for a MacKay, long-time enemies of his clan. What he didn't know was that she would soon be his wife, given to him by her father in a desperate effort to end generations of feuding. The only pro ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published April 1st 2007 by Leisure Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Highland Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Warrior

Misfit
Aug 29, 2009 Misfit rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
A verra verra bad book, I doona recommend it. That is, unless you like a silly plot along with very bad sex all wrapped up in a faux historical setting. Granted, there are readers who enjoy that type of book and while I'm not knocking them I am definitely not one of them. You are not going to get your Jamie and Claire fix here, although September is almost upon us and the long wait for An Echo in the Bone will soon be over. Yay!

This is pretty much your basic Highland romance - Laird MacKay wish
Dee
My first Connie Mason and I really enjoyed it. I have picked up quite a few of her books lately as Amazon freebies so will definitely find the time to read them.....Full review to follow
Zoe
I went through the first 40% very quickly. There is not much content, just people shouting and being angry at each other plus some supposedly hot sex scenes.
My hands itched the entire time. I want to slap the heroine so badly. I am surprised that no one did. I never could tolerate anybody throwing fits because things don't go their ways. I would have done something very drastic if I were her parents.
I could have continued reading because I imagine once she is "in love" it gets better. But I ha
Lynsey A
Well, good news, is that the heroine didn't end up on my "heroines who annoy me shelf". She came close though. Her attitude cleared up rather quickly, in fact. It was pretty sudden. It must have been all the hot loving her new husband was giving to her.

At times I felt very frustrated with both characters. Not a great deal of trust on either side. That got annoying.

Decent read by Connie Mason but I've read better from her.
Kari
It was enjoyable but it wasn't my favorite Connie Mason book. The villains seemed cartoonish and a bit off. The MCs were ok.
Chandra
Mar 05, 2011 Chandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SYNOPSIS
Battle between the MacKenna clan and the MacKay clan. Sunclair clan is allie to the Mackay clan.
A marriage agreement to bring MacKenna and MacKay clans together and end the battle.
Seana is a trouble maker and will play to any side for her advantage
Angus always up to his dirty tricks
Ross is stabbed; Gillian is exiled
Gillian goes after Angus to kill him and is captured
Angus and his warrior kin go to Edinberg to become mercenaries for the King.
Sinclair Keep is abandoned and reclaimed as Wic
Romancereviewer
Dec 13, 2009 Romancereviewer rated it really liked it
"Highland Warrior," published in 2007 and set in the Scottish Highlands, is one of the best historical romances that I have come across.

It begins with a battle, the young, Ross MacKenna, the laird of the MacKenna clan is battling a high-strung Gillian MacKay of the rival MacKay clan. She is good with a sword but not as good as Ross. He manages to fend off her attacks while not inflicting damage on the spirited lass. "I doona kill women," Ross says.

Gillian's father, Tearlach MacKay, laird of the
Kaylyn
Dec 31, 2014 Kaylyn rated it really liked it
I love Highlander books and this was no exception. To me a good highlander book needs a strong woman and a brave sword wielding hero. This book had plenty of both, in fact Gillian had no problem wielding a sword. Ross doesn’t really seem to appreciate that since more than once she threatened him with a sword.

Gillian is massively upset with being told she has to marry Ross Mackenna. He is the laird of her family’s long time enemy, but her father wants peace. She fights it at first until she reali
TJ
Jan 16, 2010 TJ rated it really liked it
A surprisingly well-written page turner! I wanted to knock Gillian upside the head the first half of the book and do the same to Ross the second half of the book. They are both wonderful complex characters and the storyline keeps one engrossed until the last page. The only downside, for me anyway, was the sex scenes. Although I can skip them easily enough, it gets annoying after the first 2 or 3.
Julie
Aug 25, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Ross MacKenna is a strong, mighty, highland laird, and a warrior. Gillian MacKay is a strong, feisty, stubborn, beauty, who thinks she's a warrior. The MacKenna's and MacKay's have been feuding for years and Ross want's it stopped, so they must marry. I enjoyed this book very much, old loves were constantly trying to cause them trouble, it was a great read.
Dawn ♥ romance
Nov 19, 2012 Dawn ♥ romance rated it really liked it
This historical romance was all right. It had a common theme about two feuding highland clans. The hero and heroine's love-hate relation swung too far to the extremes. It was a reread and forgettable. McKay clan leader's daughter Gillian is given as wife to enemy clan leader Ross to end long time feud.
Lisa Richardson
I like Connie Mason but her most recent books seem kind of quick and shallow. this one was the same. My ultimate frustration with novels like these are any the heck they keep believing the scheming mistress. Ugh. And he keeps letting her back, even after she tried to kill him. This book just seemed to go from 0 to 120 really quick. Not a lot of depth to the characters or story development. I mean, I know they are going to get together but these two just kept on whining and for goodness sakes- st ...more
SandraE
May 09, 2014 SandraE rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Another great book by Mason.
Erin
Nov 07, 2010 Erin rated it did not like it
Cheesy romance novel challenge #1, chosen for me by the lovely Michelle. Please take a moment to soak in the amazing cover, bulging veins, windswept hair and all. Ok, so it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. But, a distinct lack of "romance scenes" made me wonder what people who weren't reading this as a joke were getting out of it. Gillian, daughter of prominent Scottish clansman must marry her mortal enemy, Ross, the head of the rival clan in order to keep peace. As Michelle mentioned, th ...more
Ashley
Oct 10, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
So I am currently in the bodice ripper stage of my life and have been devouring all books with kilt totting men on the cover. Yes I know its shameful. But in my weak defense I am 21 years old. Weak because I will probably still be reading books covered with muscled bound men when I am old and gray.

Anyways now that, that disclaimer is out of the way onward we go to my review. Alright ten pages in and my first pet peeve is that the clan names are: McKay and MacKenna. Why are these two clans in al
Claudia
First of all, the description and the book cover do not match! ! The main characters are Ross and Gillian!
Personally, this writer oversold the animosity, between them.Then to much silliness in the interchanges between them.
If this is truly a time for strong men then these men failed. Plus that slut Seaena would have been ejected before The marriage, and most of the other over contrived crap would never have occurred!
Leyns
Oct 09, 2015 Leyns rated it it was ok
I skipped through this book and even then it was a struggle to finish it. Gosh it was bad. I do not recommend it. It didn't have anything offensive, so it still gets two stars. I reserve one star ratings for books I absolutely detest.
The heroine was impulsive, stupidly so, and never learned from it. The hero never trusted in his wife and said stupid things he didn't mean. They deserve each other.
Melissa
Nov 17, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
This is a fantastic story and will not leave you unsatisfied. This couple is funny and many ups and downs.
I would suggest both the novel and the author.
I will read more of her.
Latoya
Nov 07, 2015 Latoya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story

Too strong personalities joined together to end a fued. Even the Ross and Julian are the stories main characters, I love Gizella
Jane
Ross MacKenna meets his match on the battlefield when a shapely MacKay female takes a sword against him in Highland Warrior. A hundred year old feud has gone on between the Clan MacKenna and MacKay and Gillian's father offers a truce sealed by a marriage of his only daughter, Gillian to Ross MacKenna.

This sets the background of a great historical fiction full of romance, treachery, magic and battles as Ross and Gillian learn to love one another and embrace the peace between the two clans. I am a
Selly - Leggere Romanticamente
3 stelline e mezzo!
Molto carino questo romance!
SarahBeth
Aug 27, 2013 SarahBeth added it
Shelves: boo
This just might be the worst book I've ever read. I downloaded it free from Amazon knowing that it looked like a trashy Romance novel, but that it might be a fun summer read. The writing is awful; in fact, I'm quite sure that my 10th grade students could do better. The dialogue is forced and unnatural, and plot, characters, and descriptions lack development. If you're looking for a beautiful Scottish Romance, read Outlander by Gabaldon or Daughter of the Forest by Merillier instead.
Bettie☯
Readitnweep
Jul 06, 2010 Readitnweep rated it liked it
Connie Mason is definitely one of the better romance writers at the moment. Her books have a lot more depth of character and better writing than a lot of her contemporaries. The romance and wittiness of the characters was great too.
Gardavson
Jan 15, 2010 Gardavson rated it liked it
I hate it when women think they can go up against a man, sword to sword. Duh. But I do like when opposite sides create an alliance thru marriage and the two must come to terms with their worlds turning upside down.
Stacie
Apr 08, 2007 Stacie added it
Recommends it for: Romance Readers
Finally got to read this one. It was okay. The hero took too long to believe that the heroine was not a manipulating, backstabbing person. She kept having to prove herself to him. But it was okay for a light read.
Beth
Oct 20, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
A fun book where the Scottish warriors travel forward in time and meet bold 21st century women instead of the women going back in time.

The reason for the time travel felt a bit contrived, but, still cute.
Elle
Oct 31, 2011 Elle rated it really liked it
This one gets an extra star because the heroine is nobody's doormat. Hero is an alpha jerk at times, but she doesn't take it lying down, though she still does go all boneless when the clothes start flying.
Kathrynn
Dec 24, 2007 Kathrynn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Readers
4 1/2 Stars from This Reader. This is a good stand-alone, historical read. Ms. Mason has a unique writing style and knows how to use her pen. Nice characters that develop well throughout the book.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Book #7: Highland Warrior 1 6 Feb 05, 2013 06:14PM
  • His Captive (MacGruder Brothers, #1)
  • The Dreamer (Highland Treasure, #1)
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
  • The Scotsman
  • The Highlander's Prize (The Sutherlands, #1)
  • Bound to a Warrior (The Warrior King, #1)
  • Unwilling (The MacLauchlans, #2)
  • Bold (The Handfasting, #1)
  • Highland Dragon
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)
  • Spectre of the Sword (de Lohr Dynasty, #4)
  • Beneath A Highland Moon (The Highland Moon #1)
  • The Rebel (Highlander Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Tamed by a Laird (Galloway Trilogy, #1)
  • The Devil of Kilmartin (Kilmartin Glen, #1)
  • Conqueror's Kiss
  • Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1)
Connie Mason or Cara Miles is the best-selling author of more than fifty historical romances and novellas. Her tales of passion and adventure are set in exotic as well as American locales. Connie was named Story Teller of the Year in 1990 by Romantic Times and was awarded Career Achievement award in the Western category by Romantic Times in 1994. Connie makes her home in Tarpon Springs, Florida wi ...more
More about Connie Mason...