Start by marking “Mudras - Yoga in Your Hands” as Want to Read:
Mudras - Yoga in Your Hands

Mudras - Yoga in Your Hands

Mudras--also playfully called "finger power points"--are yoga positions for your hands and fingers. They can be practiced sitting, lying down, standing, or walking, at any time and place. Schooled in the traditional knowledge of this eastern art of healing, well-known Swiss yoga teacher, Gertrud Hirschi, shows how these easy techniques can recharge personal energy reserves ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 240 pages
Published January 15th 2016 by Weiser Books (first published January 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mudras - Yoga in Your Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mudras - Yoga in Your Hands

The Elves
Jan 03, 2015 The Elves rated it really liked it
Mudras: Yoga in your Hands by Gertrud Hirschi is a handy reference book for using Mudras. Unlike some other books we’ve seen where you tended to wonder what you were really seeing, the graphics and descriptions of the hand positions are very clear. Honestly, we got it hoping it would have more magical and mystical connections for the mudras, but alas, it has little of this, although with a little intuition and research one can surely make these connections. Rather, she has associated the mudras ...more
Lia
Jun 06, 2010 Lia rated it really liked it
I really like the concept of this book. It is going to take more time to really learn what it is teaching, so I'm going to have to come back to it (I maxed out the library renewals, so I'll wait for it to be re-shelved, and then try again).

In the meantime, I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in mudras (hand positions) and how they affect your body.
Cynthia
Oct 04, 2007 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Great book to pair with the Kundalini Yoga Cookbook!
Andy Lopez
May 15, 2017 Andy Lopez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah chi

Lol this acutely works very well for me sometimes I see the chi an ki mix together in my hands
Mar 15, 2017 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
I found this book very useful, and have already referenced it for my yoga classes as well as my own practice. A great resource for anyone wanting to learning about mudras.
Tamara
Feb 03, 2013 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, yoga
I came across this book and was instantly fascinated. As a yoga instructor anything that can enhance or deepen someone's practice or my own is of great appeal. This book explains and illustrates a variety of hand postures that work with the different energetic lines of your body to provides release and relief for acute and chronic physical issues as well as poses that help deepen your meditative state. I was truly amazed at the results I felt from the very first mudra I tried.
CarolynKost
Jun 04, 2014 CarolynKost rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x-health
This is our go-to guide for everything from headaches and asthma attacks to constipation and indigestion. They work astonishingly well, which seems strange since quick fixes aren't usually a hallmark of alternative healing. Hirschi also includes affirmations, herbal remedies, and visualizations. If it didn't work, we wouldn't keep going back to the book time and time again and we've had it for years.
Kendra Fried
Dec 16, 2013 Kendra Fried rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I have been practicing the various mudras and I really feel the positive benefits! And knowing what meridians are being affected while I do the mudras helps it make sense, makes it less "woo-woo," and adds some background as to why they work. I really like the addition of affirmations you can say while holding the mudra, the breathing techniques, and offerings of herbal remedies for those who are interested. I am thoroughly enjoying this practice.
Kat
Mar 17, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing
I wrote a paper on mudras for my yoga teacher training, and this really is the best resource out there on hand mudras (She doesn't delve into the full body mudras, etc.). It's very comprehensive, and gives good explanations of how and when to use them in your practice. Overall, I found it very helpful, interesting, and accessible, though I do wish the cross-referencing was a bit better.
Dan
Oct 12, 2014 Dan rated it did not like it
Absurd tripe and an abject waste of paper. The author hasn't bothered to make any serious study of the genuine, historical roots of mudra practice, and has co-mingled the text with a variety of spurious 'associations' without the slightest nod of respect to the belief systems which make use of mudras.
Ashley Chew
Aug 04, 2014 Ashley Chew rated it liked it
Im not quite sure what I was hoping for, but this wasn't it. Not a bad book, 52 different mudras. But I actually found the few pages on reflexology & ayurveda more interesting than the rest of the book.
Heidi
Jul 16, 2012 Heidi rated it liked it
"Gives a nice background on how to use mudras and a good selection for the beginning user. Sometimes the picture and the description don't match or appear to be contradictory. However, in general this book gets it done."
Beáta
Nov 25, 2012 Beáta rated it liked it
Tetszett a könyv és néhány mudrát szeretnék is kipróbálni. Remélem, hatékonyak lesznek. Amit hiányoltam, hogy nincs benne mutató, hogy egy adott problémára milyen mudrákat ajánl. Igaz, hogy a bevezető részben kitér egy-két dologra, de azt nem találom elegendőnek.
Tandava Brahmachari
Nov 09, 2012 Tandava Brahmachari rated it really liked it
This book is worth getting even if you just find one mudra that works really well for you. My favorite is the Shankh (Shell) mudra, which has saved me from sore throats and over-singing numerous times. There are lots of other good ones, too, all very clearly and helpfully presented.
Arlene
Great reference. Cross references available, good illustration, mantras, etc.
Sherrie Gingery
Feb 05, 2009 Sherrie Gingery rated it it was amazing
Mudras add another layer to one's hatha yoga practice. Well written and easy to follow instructions.
Nicole
Dec 31, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it
The demonstrations and illustrations of the mudras are extensive and helpful. However, I would have preferred some more cross referencing and organization of their goals and targets.
Susan Taylor
Jul 17, 2012 Susan Taylor rated it really liked it
Excellent.
Noelle
Jun 11, 2009 Noelle rated it liked it
Good informational book. I keep it more as a reference book now.
Joni
Mar 10, 2010 Joni rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Easy to understand. I will continue to use it in my practice.
Brandi
Jul 17, 2012 Brandi added it
Shelves: yoga

An interesting book. I use the Shakti mudra in the yoga class I teach and a few others in my personal practice.
Denise
Jun 23, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing
hand yoga
Cherie
Apr 18, 2016 Cherie rated it liked it
A great intro to mudras and the power of them. While doing many of these every day seems a bit much, still, very interesting.
JMc
Feb 23, 2016 JMc rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! Great reference! I meant to memorize the hand position but lent this book out before I got around to it. Warning: Hands drawing hands is somewhat masturbatory.
Roots
Aug 14, 2013 Roots added it
Simple truths.
Alana S.
Oct 04, 2009 Alana S. rated it it was ok
It was interesting, but obviously not a novel.
Jaina Bee
Feb 03, 2012 Jaina Bee rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jaina Bee by: Laughing Lotus
Written with warm, wise generosity. I love this book and foresee using it throughout my life. There's a lot in here, and it will take years to explore…
Bill
Jul 04, 2008 Bill is currently reading it
I have started using some information. Very comprehensive.
MegNev
Nov 06, 2013 MegNev rated it really liked it
This is a very handy (har har har) guide to mudras. I use this book as reference to help integrate mudras into the yoga and meditation classes I teach, as well as into my daily life.
Guillermo
Dec 21, 2007 Guillermo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: siempre-leyendo
unlibro para siempre estar leyendo y consultando
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Tantric Yoga and the Wisdom Goddesses: Spiritual Secrets of Ayurveda
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness
  • The Yoga of Power: Tantra, Shakti, and the Secret Way
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Myths of the Asanas: The Stories at the Heart of the Yoga Tradition
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Insight Yoga