Start by marking “Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean, #1)

Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean #1)

Madeline Bean, caterer to the stars, is in the middle of the biggest job of her career. She and her partner Wesley have pulled off Hollywood's most outrageous A-list Halloween party for notorious producer Bruno Huntley, complete with an eerie fortuneteller who is astonishingly accurate, and exotic food that's to die for. Before long, Bruno is thrashing and writhing out on ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published May 1st 1998 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Sympathy for the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sympathy for the Devil

Natalie
Jun 15, 2008 Natalie rated it liked it
This book was okay. It was the first of the series and I am glad it wasn't the first one I read or I might not have read some of the others in the series. I think her writing style and character development is better in the later books!
Debbie Maskus
Jul 08, 2012 Debbie Maskus rated it it was ok
Madeline Bean owns a catering business that caters to the rich and famous. She and her partner, Wes, have a huge job with a Halloween party for producer, Bruno Huntley. The novel is not as well written or Elizabeth George or Tess Gerritsen. The book is mostly fluff, like the people living in Los Angeles. There are no detailed autopsy reports or gory murder scenes. The reader does not learn any earth shattering knowledge from reading this book. The book is just a simple beach read.
Mark Baker
Mar 07, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2001
Madeline Bean is catering the Hollywood party this Halloween. But things take a bad turn when the host, producer Bruno Huntley, dies in the middle of the festival. This debut features great characters and lots of fun twists to the plot and started what is still a top notch series. I just wish there were more than seven books.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Cindi Schultz
Jun 07, 2012 Cindi Schultz rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like it but what I was really unsure of was did I want to read this or a different book. I'm very glad I convinced myself to keep reading it. Zit was good and look forward to the rest of the series.
Hil
Jun 10, 2012 Hil rated it really liked it
I liked this mystery. I liked the main character, Madeline Bean (wish she would get out of her convenient relationship!), and I enjoyed the mystery. It wasn't too easy to figure out and wasn't so boring that I read the end to figure it out! I will read the rest of the books in this series.
Muriel
Apr 15, 2008 Muriel rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2005, mystery
First book in a cute series of a caterer who gets mixed up in a murder mystery. It's been a long time since I read this but I have a vague recollection of enjoying it and picking up a couple of more books in the series.
Maureen
Jun 25, 2016 Maureen rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Too fluffy for me. The title appears to be a popular one. My search pulled up at least a half dozen books with this title by different authors.
Monica L Christopherson
Entertaining read.

This is a fast read, with a diverse cast of characters. Great for a beach read or a quiet weekend.
Kristen
This is a nice new cozy to enjoy with colorful food analogies, similes and metaphors for a breezy read. This is a must read for the summer and a good one to enjoy.
Vanessa
Jul 29, 2008 Vanessa rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, food
I love the Madeline Bean mysteries. They are funny, give great Old Hollywood trivia and, of course, she cooks.
Toni N
Toni N rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Shanna Loewen
Shanna Loewen rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2011
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2009
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Ann Nichols
Ann Nichols rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Danielle Reicks
Danielle Reicks rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2011
Krista
Krista rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2008
Angie
Angie rated it did not like it
Apr 25, 2010
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Niki
Niki rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Archie
Archie rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2008
Danette
Danette rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Vicky Beltz
Vicky Beltz rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2009
xtree
xtree rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2015
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Something's Cooking (Angie Amalfi, #1)
  • Veiled Threats (Carnegie Kincaid, #1)
  • Carbs and Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1)
  • Death by Rhubarb (Heaven Lee, #1)
  • Cooking Up Murder (A Cooking Class Mystery, #1)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • A Slice of Murder (Pizza Lovers,  #1)
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1)
  • Some Like It Hot-Buttered (Double Feature Mystery #1)
  • Candy Apple Dead (A Candy Shop Mystery, #1)
Jerrilyn Farmer, the author of the acclaimed, award-winning Madeline Bean novels, is a TV writer who has written for game shows such as Jeopardy! and Supermarket Sweep, and sketch comedy specials for Dana Carvey, Jon Lovitz, Timothy Stack, Cheri Oteri, Tim Meadows, and others. Farmer also teaches mystery writing at the UCLA Extension's Writers Program.

More about Jerrilyn Farmer...

Madeline Bean (8 books)
  • Immaculate Reception (Madeline Bean, #2)
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
  • Dim Sum Dead (Madeline Bean, #4)
  • Mumbo Gumbo (Madeline Bean, #5)
  • Perfect Sax (Madeline Bean, #6)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Desperately Seeking Sushi (Madeline Bean, #8)