Start by marking “Goat Dance” as Want to Read:
Goat Dance

Goat Dance

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  14 reviews
From Douglas Clegg, award-winning author of The Hour Before Dark and The Abandoned, comes a novel of unimaginable terror and heart-pounding suspense. What secrets lie within the ancient place known as the Goat Dance? A Haunted Lake . . . Seven-year-old Teddy Amory should have died that winter's day on Clear Lake, when she fell through the ice while skating with her older b ...more
Published April 30th 2006 by Wildside Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Goat Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goat Dance

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingSalem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
393rd out of 1,235 books — 3,889 voters
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley JacksonIt Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyLord of the Flies by William GoldingNight Shift by Stephen KingThe Other by Thomas Tryon
Forgotten Frights: Overlooked and Underappreciated Horror
284th out of 311 books — 250 voters

More lists with this book...

Kimberly
Douglas Clegg has a great way of taking a small town and infusing it with the most appalling forms of evil imaginable. The beginning was a little confusing to me, with the introduction of all the characters, but once I'd gotten past that the story really took off. The visceral imagery was incredible! There were times when I actually felt the sensation of something akin to what a character was going through. I've long been a fan of Clegg's work, and this novel is no exception!

Recommended!
Dreadlocksmile
First published back in 1989, ‘Goat Dance’ was Douglas Clegg’s second full length novel to be published. With a multitude of different covers for each separate publication, everone of them portraying some grotesque and darkly imaginative artwork, you know exactly what sort of novel you’ll be getting when you pick up ‘Goat Dance’.

True to the cover artwork, Clegg unleashes a multitude of obscene and horrifying moments within the tale that strike great similarities to that of the master of dark ima
Oh the suspense!!! From the first page to the last page this book is filled with it! Scary, gruesome, great story line, great characters. Yes there were spots that I was kinda freaked out to walk through a dark room ;) A few issues...read this on my Nook and it was filled with places where there was a period and should of been a comma and a handful of words that didn't fit...kinda like when you type something then go back and change the words but don't delete all of the original words first. Not ...more
Cathy
I quite enjoyed Clegg's "The Attraction" -- a tight, vivid, well-written, character-driven exercise in survival horor what was hair-raising with being mean-spirited. The companion novella that came with it was a nice Victorian pastiche "books one should not open" piece. I had earlier read "The Hour Before Dark," which was unimpressive but readable enough. So I was quite pleased to find Goat Dance so affordable on Kindle, and the sample I downloaded was nicely written.

Unfortunately, this first n
Dann
I really would have liked to give this book more stars, as the writing is pretty good, and Clegg does a great job of keeping you hooked . . . I just don't think the story was all that good. It gets weirder, darker, and more disturbing as the book goes on, but never really lived up to the potential of the story. If it was shorter, I'd say it's worth reading quick, but it actually took me a while.
Jlither
Ok, honest? I hated it. The main characters are crazy, or nearly so. I need to trust and believe in my heroes. Maybe I am just tired of maggots.
Shawn Manning
A tad bit uneven, but not bad by any means. It's a great example of 80's horror that wears its love for Stephen King on its sleeve.
Jimmy
Aug 01, 2014 Jimmy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jimmy by: Barnes & Noble.com
This is a great horror novel! It has everything I'm looking for and come to expect from this genre. It made me not want to put it down, and stay up all night reading. Not to suggest that this book is just like/copying/plagiarism, but to give you an idea. For me Goat Dance is the perfect combination of Stephen King's Bag of Bones & Dean Koontz's Phantoms. It has been a while since an author has shocked me, grossed me out, and left me in such a wonderful state of scared out of my mind awe. I w ...more
Tanya Simon
When I read this book for the first time, I realized that this was what I wanted to write. In your face horror, gore, terror, etc. No censoring the darkness. Clegg’s books fill the space inside your head and outside with dread and dark places. I have enjoyed many of them, but this one was my first and when I was finished I was stunned.
This was my first Clegg novel, and I am very very pleased. Contrary to popular belief, there IS an art to writing good horror. King certainly has the chops for it, as does Dan Simmons and I am happy to add Clegg to my list.

This is a well crafted story from begining to end, I liked the characters, even though some were deeply flawed. Good writing and scares all around.

The key is enough horror without the kitchen sink feeling, and this novel delivered. Eerie, evocative and visceral in perfect mea
Jackie Primo
Good book...kept me hooked
Joe
It started of so slow that I almost stopped reading it. Eventually the pace picked up and it finished pretty strongly. It seemed to muddle along and then jump into the action with no real transition. Overall I like it well enough.
Rachell Horbenko
I couldn't finish this book. Gave up because it got to be just too boring and too damn confusing. Author kept jumping around and it was not worth the effort to try to keep up.
Lee
You have to love the imagination of Douglas Clegg. A dark, look into ourselves.
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Sue Williams
Sue Williams marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Jay Peters
Jay Peters marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Kat Art
Kat Art marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Allied Refrigeration
Allied Refrigeration is currently reading it
May 06, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Andrea Tyree
Andrea Tyree marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Kathy Taylor
Kathy Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Horror Aficionados : Goat Dance by Douglas Clegg 7 28 Sep 14, 2013 05:18PM
  • Stranger
  • House of Blood
  • The Hides (Timmy Quinn #2)
  • Asylum - 13 Tales of Terror
  • The Pet
  • A Choir of Ill Children
  • Infernal Angel (City Infernal, #2)
  • Djinn
  • She Wakes
  • Prodigal Blues
  • The New Neighbor
  • Dead Souls
Neverland The Hour Before Dark Isis Nightmare House (Harrow House, #1) Mordred, Bastard Son