Start by marking “Nightmare House (Harrow House, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nightmare House (Harrow House, #1)

Nightmare House (Harrow House #1)

An uncharacteristic period ghost story brings the Harrow haunted house trilogy to an apprehensive conclusion or beginning. In Mischief (2000) and The Infinite (2001), Clegg dropped portentous hints of past misdeeds and occult experiments that amplified the evil influence of Harrow, a sprawling Hudson River estate turned into a boys' prep school. The events of this novel, a ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Leisure Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Nightmare House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmare House

Latasha
Sep 03, 2013 Latasha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm blaming all this on the narrator. I usually don't complain about them at all but the guy reading this book was not good. by the end of the book I was just angry and glad it was over. the story may have been ok, it was just hard to get past him.
Nick
Apr 23, 2015 Nick rated it liked it
Clegg is a well established horror author who started back in 1989 and whose work I have recently discovered. Nightmare House was one of six Clegg novels I have on my shelf waiting to be read. I started with Nightmare House as it is the shorter of his books. It is also the latest novel I have of his, having first been published in 1999.

It is a haunted house story, with the main character discovering family secrets that are revealed over the course of the book. It has it's creepy, scary moments a
Ms. Nikki
Sometimes you can read a book at just the right time and enjoy it more than you know you would have at another moment in time. This is one of those reads for me. I read it in a couple of hours while trying to download a program on my computer that was giving me problems. The story was a little slow to start off, but it captured my interest.

I'm a sucker for haunted houses and although this one did not disappoint, it did however, fall short. The second part of the story where the characters explor
Meh. That's pretty much my thoughts regarding this book. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it, either.

I do feel pretty let down, though. From the synopsis, I was expecting a truly scary tale. Sadly, that's not what I got. It wasn't frightening in the least. The characters were flat, the writing could be a bit scattered at times, and the explanation of what exactly was happening at the house was...well, I don't want to say confusing, because I could follow along with what was happening, but mor
Carla
Horror expansions begin Rose: I've read the first title on my horror expansion list, and it was a corker. Douglas Clegg never fails to bring the fear, and this prequel to the Harrow House series was hallucinatorily terrifying.
It's must-read if you are fascinated by cults, Magick, and the idea of esoteric knowledges. Caveat: if you do not enjoy sexual horror, this book is not for you. At all.

Harrow House:

3. The Infinite
4. The Abandoned

AnnieM
Oct 27, 2012 AnnieM marked it as to-read
I attempted the audio and Michael Taylor has to be one of the more annoying narrators I've heard. The engineering of the book was awful. I only made it 10 minutes into the audio. I will keep this on my list for a possible read, but it won't move up in my list any time soon. YUCK!
Valerie McNamee Earl
Jan 26, 2011 Valerie McNamee Earl rated it it was amazing
Rarely does a book make me stop breathing or make me want to say eewww, nononono.... Or run away! But, Nightmare House did all of that. The web into which the reader is drawn is so tightly woven there you remain, well after you finish the tale. To think this is the third book. I didn't even realize this until looking on Good reads! Well it is a stand alone novel so it didn't matter. Enjoyed this book, and loved the rich descriptions of everything!
Rebecca
Dec 08, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, paranormal
I liked the setting, in an upstate New York mansion built by an eccentric grandfather of the main character. There were interesting characters, such as townspeople who seemed like they might be going to morph into some strange water creatures, a woman rumored to be a witch, and the recently deceased grandfather, whose ghost I expected to turn up at any minute. But it didn't, and some of the interesting things hinted at early on did not materialize. Instead, the story took some odd turns and beca ...more
Jenna Allen
this book started out Ok. it was great for a haunted house type book. But not your standard one... there wasnt a lot of door slamming and lights flickering. Although this book was rather slow i thought it was a good read for the most part. at points it did ramble on and got boring but it was fun. I dont think it was that scary but maybe if it were an actual movie it would be. at points where the main character was walking in the dark alone i felt it couldve felt more tense. i forgot he was alone ...more
Oct 23, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
It was really short, and gave less detail than I was expecting. It wasn't bad, but it could have been better. Also, I read this first, though I understand it wasn't written first, so its possible the information I want is in another book. I was frustrated the big names were dropped, but their actual part in the story was left out.

It did spook me enough to make me imagine things in the dark and jump when my dog snuck up on me.
Micky Stew
Jun 17, 2013 Micky Stew rated it did not like it
Shelves: hauntings, horror
I am so disappointed in this book. I had such high hopes but I had no idea it would be a complete and total dud! It was supposed to be a scary book but there was no fright and not even a twitch. The characters were worse than flat and the protagonist fell in love with someone in the book but I don't see how when they were barely around one another.

This is the LAST Douglas Clegg book I ever intend on reading.
Kayla Henry
Oct 14, 2012 Kayla Henry rated it it was ok
Nightmare House had a great premise that really never reached its full potential. Clegg does a great job of building suspense, but I don't feel like he really knows how to deliver a great ending. I tried one other book, but I definitely won't be picking up the rest in the Harrow House series.
Robert
May 16, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
A haunted house and the man who inherits it... The beginning of a series of books by a fantastic writer. This book included an additional novella, Purity, which I enjoyed more than the title story.
Redri9hthand
Aug 30, 2015 Redri9hthand rated it it was ok
This is the least entertaining D. Clegg book I've read and my complaints are in line with what the other two star reviewers have already said. Had it not been so short, I would not have bothered finishing.
Willi
This took awhile to get into.An interesting concept for a horror novel.It had some twists to it. But in all it was only fair in my opinion.
Gracie
Very good although it reminded me a bit of Rats in the Walls by H.P. Lovecraft but not in a plagiaristic bad way. The second novella was totally unexpected, in more ways than one.
Charity
May 02, 2011 Charity rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
I liked the story overall and would have given it 3 stars if the latter part of the story wasn't so boring and seemed to drag out way too long.
Will Mercer
Jul 11, 2016 Will Mercer rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this. I loved Clegg's novel, "Neverland." This one though, was just a mess. I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.
Darla Buchwalter
Mar 03, 2013 Darla Buchwalter rated it liked it
A great idea for a book, however Mr Clegg was unable to keep me engaged in reading this story. I guess I found his writing style very boring
April
Jun 27, 2012 April rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Worst book I ever listened to. Exceptionally poorly written and the narrator had a mind-numbing monotone. Insanely bad.
Terri Light
Nov 26, 2012 Terri Light rated it it was ok
Solidly average, but as it was an audiobook, it may just have been the narrator. I will give the next book in the series a try.
Ginny
Apr 22, 2009 Ginny rated it it was amazing
the second novel in the book titled 'purity' was very twisted...
Doreen
Jan 02, 2013 Doreen rated it it was amazing
I wanted a creepy read for October. Nightmare house delivered, in a big way.
Laci Stevens
Aug 27, 2013 Laci Stevens rated it it was ok
it was ok. tended to go on a little bit too much for me. sometimes i just got bored with it.
Mike
Dec 11, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Very well written book. Reminded me of a "classic" ghoht/horror story.
David
Jan 19, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
A chilling and smart haunted house thriller from one of the genre's best.
Sean
Jan 09, 2017 Sean rated it liked it
Gina Moray
Jan 02, 2017 Gina Moray rated it it was amazing
A fantastic, chilling story that kept me up long after I put the book down. This book is an amazing twist on the old haunted house story.
John Bruni
Sep 09, 2014 John Bruni rated it it was amazing
This book is actually two novellas combined. The first one, "Nightmare House," is good old fashioned horror fun. It's an old school haunted house story, obviously, but there's a good deal more to it. It's got a very odd POV, being written in first person and third person but through the same eyes. Very odd, but it works. Near the end, there's a great description of being possessed. Also, what seems like a throwaway character turns out to have a very important role, which is also pretty unusual. ...more
Bruce Blanchard
Jun 05, 2016 Bruce Blanchard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Haunted House As It Should Be Written

I've said it before when it comes to novels about haunted houses and it be said yet again. The enticing haunted house story is tough to write. The "mood" is everything whether it is E. A. Poe-ish or any like the grand masters such as Blackwood, Machen, or Le Fanu to those who still try to capture the genre today. The characters must resemble real people caught in a nightmare situation and less the spectacular effects which pass for flights in the movies the
  • The Harrowing
  • Deep in the Darkness
  • Stranger
  • The Mourning House
  • Exorcist Road
  • The Museum of Horrors
  • Ghost Walk
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • The 13th
  • The Number 121 to Pennsylvania and Others
  • The House
  • Bloodstone
  • Queen of Blood (House of Blood, #2)
  • The Farm
  • Best New Horror 19 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #19)
  • Five Mile House
  • Husk

Harrow House (4 books)
  • Mischief (Harrow House, #2)
  • The Infinite (Harrow House, #3)
  • The Abandoned (Harrow House Series #4)