Start by marking “Nightmare House (Harrow House, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nightmare House (Harrow House, #1)

Nightmare House (Harrow House #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  598 ratings  ·  47 reviews
An uncharacteristic period ghost story brings the Harrow haunted house trilogy to an apprehensive conclusion or beginning. In Mischief (2000) and The Infinite (2001), Clegg dropped portentous hints of past misdeeds and occult experiments that amplified the evil influence of Harrow, a sprawling Hudson River estate turned into a boys' prep school. The events of this novel, a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 340 pages
Published May 1st 2004 by Leisure Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Nightmare House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmare House

Mateguas Island by Linda  WatkinsSOMETHING IN THE WOODS IS TAKING PEOPLE. by Stephen   YoungDoctor Sleep by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerThe Amityville Horror by Jay Anson
BOOKS BEST READ ON A DARK, STORMY NIGHT
26th out of 91 books — 56 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonHell House by Richard MathesonHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiWe Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Haunted Houses
89th out of 233 books — 359 voters

More lists with this book...

Ms. Nikki
Sometimes you can read a book at just the right time and enjoy it more than you know you would have at another moment in time. This is one of those reads for me. I read it in a couple of hours while trying to download a program on my computer that was giving me problems. The story was a little slow to start off, but it captured my interest.

I'm a sucker for haunted houses and although this one did not disappoint, it did however, fall short. The second part of the story where the characters explor
Carla
Horror expansions begin Rose: I've read the first title on my horror expansion list, and it was a corker. Douglas Clegg never fails to bring the fear, and this prequel to the Harrow House series was hallucinatorily terrifying.
It's must-read if you are fascinated by cults, Magick, and the idea of esoteric knowledges. Caveat: if you do not enjoy sexual horror, this book is not for you. At all.

Harrow House:

4. The Abandoned

Thorn
AnnieM
Oct 28, 2012 AnnieM marked it as to-read
I attempted the audio and Michael Taylor has to be one of the more annoying narrators I've heard. The engineering of the book was awful. I only made it 10 minutes into the audio. I will keep this on my list for a possible read, but it won't move up in my list any time soon. YUCK!
Valerie McNamee Earl
Rarely does a book make me stop breathing or make me want to say eewww, nononono.... Or run away! But, Nightmare House did all of that. The web into which the reader is drawn is so tightly woven there you remain, well after you finish the tale. To think this is the third book. I didn't even realize this until looking on Good reads! Well it is a stand alone novel so it didn't matter. Enjoyed this book, and loved the rich descriptions of everything!
Rebecca
I liked the setting, in an upstate New York mansion built by an eccentric grandfather of the main character. There were interesting characters, such as townspeople who seemed like they might be going to morph into some strange water creatures, a woman rumored to be a witch, and the recently deceased grandfather, whose ghost I expected to turn up at any minute. But it didn't, and some of the interesting things hinted at early on did not materialize. Instead, the story took some odd turns and beca ...more
Jenna Watt
this book started out Ok. it was great for a haunted house type book. But not your standard one... there wasnt a lot of door slamming and lights flickering. Although this book was rather slow i thought it was a good read for the most part. at points it did ramble on and got boring but it was fun. I dont think it was that scary but maybe if it were an actual movie it would be. at points where the main character was walking in the dark alone i felt it couldve felt more tense. i forgot he was alone ...more
Robert
May 22, 2015 Robert rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
A haunted house and the man who inherits it... The beginning of a series of books by a fantastic writer. This book included an additional novella, Purity, which I enjoyed more than the title story.
David
A chilling and smart haunted house thriller from one of the genre's best.
It was really short, and gave less detail than I was expecting. It wasn't bad, but it could have been better. Also, I read this first, though I understand it wasn't written first, so its possible the information I want is in another book. I was frustrated the big names were dropped, but their actual part in the story was left out.

It did spook me enough to make me imagine things in the dark and jump when my dog snuck up on me.
John Bruni
This book is actually two novellas combined. The first one, "Nightmare House," is good old fashioned horror fun. It's an old school haunted house story, obviously, but there's a good deal more to it. It's got a very odd POV, being written in first person and third person but through the same eyes. Very odd, but it works. Near the end, there's a great description of being possessed. Also, what seems like a throwaway character turns out to have a very important role, which is also pretty unusual. ...more
Micky Stew
I am so disappointed in this book. I had such high hopes but I had no idea it would be a complete and total dud! It was supposed to be a scary book but there was no fright and not even a twitch. The characters were worse than flat and the protagonist fell in love with someone in the book but I don't see how when they were barely around one another.

This is the LAST Douglas Clegg book I ever intend on reading.
Kayla Henry
Nightmare House had a great premise that really never reached its full potential. Clegg does a great job of building suspense, but I don't feel like he really knows how to deliver a great ending. I tried one other book, but I definitely won't be picking up the rest in the Harrow House series.
Heather
I love a tight buildup of suspense and tension. I love horror. I love being scared. I love gothic old houses. Unfortunately, this book only had one of those four things ... and an old house just isn't enough.
Rosana
It had enough interesting moments that were creepy, but it was slow to start and after the culmination of events, the epilogue just dragged forever. It was like "OK, you will be forever stuck with Harrow House...I got it!" The love story was a bit too quick and fast. All around, the book was too shallow in character development. It felt like a very good first draft. I listened to the audio version and the narrator was indeed horrible, as another reader pointed out. He had a midwestern accent whi ...more
Grace
Very good although it reminded me a bit of Rats in the Walls by H.P. Lovecraft but not in a plagiaristic bad way. The second novella was totally unexpected, in more ways than one.
Darla Buchwalter
A great idea for a book, however Mr Clegg was unable to keep me engaged in reading this story. I guess I found his writing style very boring
Charity
I liked the story overall and would have given it 3 stars if the latter part of the story wasn't so boring and seemed to drag out way too long.
Willi
This took awhile to get into.An interesting concept for a horror novel.It had some twists to it. But in all it was only fair in my opinion.
Terri Light
Solidly average, but as it was an audiobook, it may just have been the narrator. I will give the next book in the series a try.
April
Worst book I ever listened to. Exceptionally poorly written and the narrator had a mind-numbing monotone. Insanely bad.
Laci Stevens
it was ok. tended to go on a little bit too much for me. sometimes i just got bored with it.
Doreen
I wanted a creepy read for October. Nightmare house delivered, in a big way.
Mike
Very well written book. Reminded me of a "classic" ghoht/horror story.
Ginny
the second novel in the book titled 'purity' was very twisted...
Patricia Kaniasty
If you like a good old fashioned story about a haunted house then this is the book for you. Completely creepy!! Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. This is book 1 in the Harrow house trilogy. A must read if scary is your thing.
Kate
I was really looking forward to this being a spine tingling book but it was just so - so. I'm not sure if I could have predicted the ending any sooner. The book starts out slow and then I felt rushed through the end.
Alexandria
I didn't really enjoy this one as much as I thought I would. I expected it would be a story with characters, not a fiction autobiography. Did not really get into it, but finished it anyway.
Sandra
Quite an interesting scary book! I believe I'll have to read the next one! A perfect haunted house!
Angie crosby
This book was actually nightmare house with a shorter novel/story included. I enjoyed them both. Nightmare house was about a guy who inherits harrow house from his grandfather. When he goes there very quickly he begins to experience strange occurences. There are more harrow house books as well. I like that idea. A series of sorts all centered around a house. I'd read it again and recommend it. Purity the book tacked on was good but not one I'd read again.
Robin Edman
The advice given by professional readers to writers almost always includes an injunction to read, read, read, as much as you can. A well-read author always shows himself, and this book declares its author as highly literate. The writing is just beautiful, and the story is genuinely haunting. I'm greatly looking forward to continuing this set of books.
  • The Harrowing
  • Stranger
  • Deep in the Darkness
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • Ghost Walk (Leisure Fiction)
  • Coffin County
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • Bloodstone
  • Survivor
  • The Lost
  • Toybox

Harrow House (4 books)
  • Mischief (Harrow House, #2)
  • The Infinite (Harrow House, #3)
  • The Abandoned (Harrow House Series #4)
Neverland The Hour Before Dark Isis Mordred, Bastard Son The Halloween Man