Start by marking “Death in the Grizzly Maze: The Timothy Treadwell Story” as Want to Read:
Death in the Grizzly Maze: The Timothy Treadwell Story

Death in the Grizzly Maze: The Timothy Treadwell Story

On the afternoon of October 5, 2003, in Alaska's Katmai National Park, one or more brown bears killed and ate Timothy Treadwell, a well-known wildlife celebrity, and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard. This frightening and chilling story immediately captured worldwide media attention and ignited a firestorm of controversy. Death in the Grizzly Maze is the compelling account of ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by FalconGuides

To ask other readers questions about Death in the Grizzly Maze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in the Grizzly Maze

Lisa
Sep 02, 2011 Lisa rated it did not like it
I waited a long time to read this, and guess what? It sucked. Let's face it, there's only one reason to read this book, and even that doesn't pan out.

Apparently among those who would make excuses for nutball Treadwell, Lapinski in the end goes too light on factual details of the attack (yet audio exists). He does relate one thing I found profoundly disturbing, and even comments on it. This is what I hate about egomaniacs like Treadwell: it's always, in the end, all about them.

Now, I understand
Catherine Smith
Jun 10, 2008 Catherine Smith rated it it was amazing
Let me just say that this is by far my favorite book. when i had heard about treadwell's story of living in the wild with grizzly bears and roughing it out for months at a time i thought he was just another one of those celebrities trying to help out and bring light to this issue. hwoever, after reading this book the reader gets to see the transformation that this man went through from being an alcoholic to giving his life to these animals. as one of his friends stated in the book he felt more c ...more
Connie
Jul 01, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
I initially thought Timothy Treadwell was just plain crazy, a fanatic on the fringe of sanity! This book was really insightful, a window into his mental state. I believe that besides the "Adreneline Junkie" aspect, the man had some mental instability issues, possibly bi-polar even. I found myself interested in the way the author relayed the information and frustrated with Timothy Treadwell both at the same time. He definitely procured some valuable information in studying the grizzlies but at th ...more
Darla Ebert
Sep 19, 2015 Darla Ebert rated it really liked it
Happily surprised to find a book that taught more than one lesson. And so I've changed my mind about going to live with the bears. And then more seriously and tragically, this is a story with an unexpected turn, a serious revelation told with candor and sympathy. Of course we know the protagonist dies and yet the opinion of the author, and of many others of Treadwell's friends and acquaintances, have come to the conclusion that Treadwell suffered from an, as yet undiagnosed mental illness which ...more
Owen
Apr 11, 2013 Owen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
This book is excellent, as a person who has been involve din the outdoors since i was a small child, a respect for the smaller species, Black Bear, has been drilled into my head. I cannot imagine doing the stupid things that Timothy Tredwell did, repeatedly.
The book goes in depth into a man who seemed to have lost his ability reason due to an obsessive need for recognition and a thrill. Tim, like the idiot who marched off into Alaska to live off the land and eventually killed himself, give minim
David Ward
Dec 28, 2015 David Ward rated it really liked it
Death in the Grizzly Maze: The Timothy Treadwell Story by Mike Lapinski (FalconGuides 2005)(Biography). In the fall of 2003, Timothy Treadwell, noted bear activist, and his girlfriend Annie Huegenard were killed and eaten by one or more grizzly bears on the Katmai Penninsula in Alaska. This book explores the life of this remarkable flake; it also considers the issue of the rise of celebrity wildlife advocates. There is also a truly remarkable documentary from Werner Herzog called “Grizzly Man” i ...more
Lisa Bell
Jul 10, 2007 Lisa Bell rated it liked it
This book is about the recent and horrific mauling of Timothy Treadwell (aka, the Grizzly Man) and his girlfriend by Alaskan brown bears. It is an interesting examination of the life of a supposed "bear-whisperer" who was ultimately destoryed by the thing he loved the most. The book is fairly unbaised, and it explores the main conflict of the situation - was Timothy really "gifed" with bears, or was he a lucky lunitic that fate finally caught?
Karen
Sep 07, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
This was a less biased book on Timothy Treadwell than the first one I read. The author tried to do his best to show both sides of the debate over this mans life & death. My opinion of Treadwell has already been formed and this book did not change it in any way but it seemed better researched and a more complete picture of this man.
Jen
May 31, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Hayseed
Nov 04, 2007 Hayseed rated it it was amazing
If you saw the movie, the book is a must, you will understand more about Tim Treadwell, it is a fast read, and ultimately sad. Good think about it book. Things could have been very different in the end if a few things had not happened or the Park Svc had done a better job to protect Tim. He needed help in many ways.
Melanie
May 09, 2009 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The controversial look at the life and death of Timothy Treadwell - also an excellent movie -Grizzlyman**** - a must see movie to compare to the book and decide for yourself what side of the controversy you sit - I am still straddeling the fence.
Lauri
Dec 17, 2007 Lauri rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It provided a little more insight than the movie did. I'm still intrigued by this story and will likely read more about it. I'm now fascinated by bear attacks...call me gruesome.
Kristy
Sep 13, 2008 Kristy rated it really liked it
This is a really good book. It is facinating watching what Timothy Treadwell did to himself. It is an easy read, as well. I highly recommend it.
Wilma Rebstock
Nov 01, 2014 Wilma Rebstock rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Mike Lapinski gives an incredible look into an amazing story. I can only wonder that Timothy Treadwell got by with his antics with the grizzly bears as long as he did.
June
Sep 25, 2007 June rated it did not like it
One of two books that were published (around the same time--with similar titles!) about the Timothy Treadwell incident. This is NOT the better of the two. That is all you need to know...
Rachel Bailey
Rachel Bailey rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2011
Shay Harris
Shay Harris rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Wendy C
Wendy C rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Joel
Joel rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Lory
Lory rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2013
Joel Rogers
Joel Rogers rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2017
Sly
Sly rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2010
Abby Austin
Abby Austin rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2013
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Irene Moyer
Irene Moyer rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Sally Thomas
Sally Thomas rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2013
Phil G
Phil G rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
  • A Bear Named Trouble
  • To See Every Bird on Earth: A Father, a Son, and a Lifelong Obsession
  • Just Gus: A Rescued Dog and the Woman He Loved
  • The Race to Save the Lord God Bird
  • Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite: Gripping Accounts of All Known Fatal Mishaps in America's First Protected Land of Scenic Wonders
  • Three Among the Wolves: A Couple and Their Dog Live a Year with Wolves in the Wild
  • Once Upon a Veterinarian
  • Hey Ranger! True Tales of Humor & Misadventure from America's National Parks
  • Eye of the Albatross: Visions of Hope and Survival
  • Big Miracle
  • The Jesuit and the Skull: Teilhard de Chardin, Evolution, and the Search for Peking Man
  • Star in the Forest