Start by marking “Death in the Grizzly Maze: The Timothy Treadwell Story” as Want to Read:
Death in the Grizzly Maze: The Timothy Treadwell Story

Death in the Grizzly Maze: The Timothy Treadwell Story

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  16 reviews
On the afternoon of October 5, 2003, in Alaska's Katmai National Park, one or more brown bears killed and ate Timothy Treadwell, a well-known wildlife celebrity, and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard. This frightening and chilling story immediately captured worldwide media attention and ignited a firestorm of controversy. Death in the Grizzly Maze is the compelling account of ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by FalconGuides

To ask other readers questions about Death in the Grizzly Maze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in the Grizzly Maze

Lisa
I waited a long time to read this, and guess what? It sucked. Let's face it, there's only one reason to read this book, and even that doesn't pan out.

Apparently among those who would make excuses for nutball Treadwell, Lapinski in the end goes too light on factual details of the attack (yet audio exists). He does relate one thing I found profoundly disturbing, and even comments on it. This is what I hate about egomaniacs like Treadwell: it's always, in the end, all about them.

Now, I understand
Lisa
Great book! Not the best writing -- sort of clunky and repetitive -- but a good, objective look at a strange and interesting story. For an artier and more philosophical look at this story watch Werner Herzog's film "Grizzly Man," which is excellent. This book is more technical, outdoor enthusiast, journalistic, policy and biology. But it gives a complete story.

The author spends a lot of time thinking about and trying to get the reader to think about what approaches a person or group should take
Catherine Smith
Let me just say that this is by far my favorite book. when i had heard about treadwell's story of living in the wild with grizzly bears and roughing it out for months at a time i thought he was just another one of those celebrities trying to help out and bring light to this issue. hwoever, after reading this book the reader gets to see the transformation that this man went through from being an alcoholic to giving his life to these animals. as one of his friends stated in the book he felt more c ...more
Connie
I initially thought Timothy Treadwell was just plain crazy, a fanatic on the fringe of sanity! This book was really insightful, a window into his mental state. I believe that besides the "Adreneline Junkie" aspect, the man had some mental instability issues, possibly bi-polar even. I found myself interested in the way the author relayed the information and frustrated with Timothy Treadwell both at the same time. He definitely procured some valuable information in studying the grizzlies but at th ...more
Owen
This book is excellent, as a person who has been involve din the outdoors since i was a small child, a respect for the smaller species, Black Bear, has been drilled into my head. I cannot imagine doing the stupid things that Timothy Tredwell did, repeatedly.
The book goes in depth into a man who seemed to have lost his ability reason due to an obsessive need for recognition and a thrill. Tim, like the idiot who marched off into Alaska to live off the land and eventually killed himself, give minim
Wilma Rebstock
Mike Lapinski gives an incredible look into an amazing story. I can only wonder that Timothy Treadwell got by with his antics with the grizzly bears as long as he did.
David Ward
Death in the Grizzly maze: The Timothy Treadwell Story by Mike Lapinski (FalconGuides 2005)(Biography). In the fall of 2003, Timothy Treadwell, noted bear activist, and his girlfriend Annie Huegenard were killed and eaten by one or more grizzly bears on the Katmai Penninsula in Alaska. This book explores the life of this remarkable flake; it also considers the issue of the rise of celebrity wildlife advocates. There is also a truly remarkable documentary from Werner Herzog called “Grizzly Man” i ...more
Lisa Bell
This book is about the recent and horrific mauling of Timothy Treadwell (aka, the Grizzly Man) and his girlfriend by Alaskan brown bears. It is an interesting examination of the life of a supposed "bear-whisperer" who was ultimately destoryed by the thing he loved the most. The book is fairly unbaised, and it explores the main conflict of the situation - was Timothy really "gifed" with bears, or was he a lucky lunitic that fate finally caught?
Jen
Karen
This was a less biased book on Timothy Treadwell than the first one I read. The author tried to do his best to show both sides of the debate over this mans life & death. My opinion of Treadwell has already been formed and this book did not change it in any way but it seemed better researched and a more complete picture of this man.
Hayseed
If you saw the movie, the book is a must, you will understand more about Tim Treadwell, it is a fast read, and ultimately sad. Good think about it book. Things could have been very different in the end if a few things had not happened or the Park Svc had done a better job to protect Tim. He needed help in many ways.
Melanie
The controversial look at the life and death of Timothy Treadwell - also an excellent movie -Grizzlyman**** - a must see movie to compare to the book and decide for yourself what side of the controversy you sit - I am still straddeling the fence.
Lauri
I liked this book. It provided a little more insight than the movie did. I'm still intrigued by this story and will likely read more about it. I'm now fascinated by bear attacks...call me gruesome.
Cns
One of two books that were published (around the same time--with similar titles!) about the Timothy Treadwell incident. This is NOT the better of the two. That is all you need to know...
Kristy
This is a really good book. It is facinating watching what Timothy Treadwell did to himself. It is an easy read, as well. I highly recommend it.
Robinktc
This was Sooooo interesting! Really a good read! And quick too!
Sheila
Sheila added it
May 14, 2015
Rem
Rem marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Al Gandy
Al Gandy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Danell Manchee
Danell Manchee marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
True Stories of Bear Attacks: Who Survived and Why Grizzlies and Grizzled Old Men: A Tribute to Those Who Fought to Save the Great Bear Solving Elk Hunting Problems: Simple Solutions To The Elk Hunting Riddle Radical Elk Hunting Strategies: Secrets of Calling Elk in Close The Last Orphan Train