Start by marking “Among Grizzlies: Living with Wild Bears in Alaska” as Want to Read:
Among Grizzlies: Living with Wild Bears in Alaska

Among Grizzlies: Living with Wild Bears in Alaska

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Living with Wild Bears in Alaska

"A heart-stopping eco-adventure, a testimony to both the grizzlies and their courageous protector."

--People

"The grizzly bear is one of a very few animals remaining on earth that can kill a human in physical combat. It can decapitate with a single swipe or grotesquely disfigure a person in rapid order. Within the last wilderness areas where t...more
Published February 2nd 1999 by Ballantine Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Among Grizzlies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among Grizzlies

Ashley
Having seen the film 'Grizzly Man' a number of times, I decided to dig a little deeper and read Treadwell's own account of his 1995 season. Among Grizzlies completely blew my expectations out of the water, as I found myself unable to put it down.

In the on-going debate over whether or not Treadwell's actions were ethical & whether or not he was insane, I tend to side a bit closer to Treadwell. Do I believe he was out there protecting the bears? no. But he experienced something I imagine 75%...more
Lisa Bell
Jul 17, 2007 Lisa Bell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who want a good laugh
Ok, so you may have noticed that I gave this book 5 stars. Those of you who know me might be curious as to why. I have the book such a high rating not because it is a deep, scientific read, or even because it is well written. This book got 5 stars because it is the FUNNIEST book I have ever read.

News flash: this book is not a comedy, nor is it ment to be funny. The author is dead serious; which is exactly why this books is 5 star HILARIOUS! The author is, in my opinion, a genuine nutcase. Treadw...more
Mark
Grizzly Man is one of my favorite films and I have been fascinated with Timothy Treadwell ever since I first saw it. For anyone interested in his life this book is essential reading. The love he had for his "animal friends" is obvious. While some have criticized him for his unscientific approach, I think this fundamentally misunderstands his mission. Treadwell was no ecologist but rather a romantic searcher in spiritual turmoil, engaged in an existential quest to merge with the Absolute, which f...more
Kiralyne
I loved this book. Timothy's love of bears, his hope for them, and pure joy in sharing the same space with them, were wonderful to experience. The man did something crazy, followed his passion, and took what he gained from it to try and make the world see these creatures as he did. With reverence.

The fact that he was torn apart and eaten by a bear at the very site where he spent so much time with them, does not lessen what I gained from this book. I know other folks laugh and shake their heads a...more
Lori
Easy and quick to read; I was interested in reading about the bears and the Alaska landscape. But some of the info didn't sit right with me. There were times when the author would claim certain statistics without backing it up. I also was hoping for more insight into all the research the author claimed to have done when he was not in Alaska - such as how the author of Merle's Door incorporated research into his story of his life with Merle.Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog
Mark
Feb 20, 2014 Mark added it
Great book! Interesting man and noble cause
David Ward
Among Grizzlies: Living With Wild Bears in Alaska, by Timothy Treadwell and Jewel Palovak (Ballantine Books 1997) is one of the few books I've read where I believe that the author is either certifiably insane or a full-blown fanatic. The author mixed up making friends with brown bears and making friends with puppies in the pet store, and it turned him into grizzly dung. Read the Grizzly Maze by Nick Jans instead - it'll scare you silly. My rating: 3/10, finished 7/31/11.
Fuzz
Mar 25, 2007 Fuzz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Animal lovers
Shelves: great-books
Quite an easy read. Among Grizzlies is a simple view of a mans love for bears. Timothy Treadwell was not a writer but he still wanted to share his love for his bears with others. The story of his time with the grizzlies will hopefully make the reader realize that bears are not just vicious bloodthirsty animals.

Give it to a child, give it to an adult...as long as they adore bears they will love this book.
Lauren
This was a funny, easy and interesting read. I had to keep reminding myself that I was reading a memoir of sorts - someone's real life account of what they'd experienced. It really seemed more like a a fiction or fantasy book. It's a quick, delightful read that illuminates the peaceful and everyday side of the mighty giant and king of the forest, the grizzily bear.
Miriam
oh, timothy treadwell. what can i say about this one? painfully sincere, but probably counterproductive in the final analysis. to top it off, the writing is execrable. werner herzog's excellent doc "grizzly man" does treadwell's passion justice while also maintaining a healthy dose of skepticism about his methods.
Jennifer McAuley
Wow, what a freak, Timothy Treadwell is no more than a washed up drug and alcohol addict. He believes he is helping the bears by doing "scientific research" He does no more then get to close and make some general observations. But, the book is interesting enough, if you want a laugh.
Helen
Interesting book but I just kept thinking..this guy is crazy....of course now that he and his girlfriend have been EATEN by the very grizzlies they lived with I guess my sentiments were more than accurate.
Gary Butler
12th book read in 2014.

Number 333 out of 356 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Joanne
I was worried that the book was going to be a little juvenile at first, but the author quickly fixed that. He writes an amazing account of his stint living with grizzly bears in the wild.
Stephanie
The guy's a bit of a quack in my opinion. He lacked the obvious respect one needs to be around these animals....and survive. On the flip side, the book was a pretty decent read.
Steph
Dude fed himself to bears. interesting to see how someone builds up to that and doesn't even see it coming.
Bryson
An interesting story about a very strange series of events.
Francis Bashore
Bears and bad (cosmically good?) writing.
Becky
reading for Personality class quarter project
Julie
Aug 26, 2012 Julie marked it as to-read
!!!!!!!!!!
Lyndsey Chamberlain
Lyndsey Chamberlain marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Timothy Treadwell was an American bear enthusiast, environmentalist, amateur naturalist, eco-warrior and documentary film maker. He lived with his girlfriend/fiance Vicky Scott in Hessel, where they lived happily among the bears until she left to pursue a career in Npower. He was disappointed and went to live with the grizzly bears of Katmai National Park in Alaska, USA, for 13 summers. At the end...more
More about Timothy Treadwell...