Start by marking “The Perfect Lover (Cynster, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Lover (Cynster, #10)

The Perfect Lover (Cynster #10)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  4,427 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Simon Frederick Cynster has a perfect life -- one of enormous wealth and impeccable social status. His lean handsomeness turns the heads of naive debutantes, while his sensual allure ensures he never lacks for more sophisticated partners for a night of pleasure.

However, Simon accepts that he must find a wife to achieve true contentment. Someone who will spend her days as a
Audio CD, Abridged, 400 pages
Published February 7th 2006 by HarperAudio (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Lover

Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
The first half of the book was so...."Meh".But im glad i tolerated the story and got through the pages....since the second half turned out to be pretty darn good.

No really this book had zero mystery until i reached page 202 of 375...even though the summery states it to be a MYSTERY-ROMANCE book.

*Sign* So sadly i cant rate this a full 4 stars...so 3 and a 1/2 it is.. :/
Elaine
This book was a let down. It was so boring. The story dragged on for two thirds of the book, towards the end the story picked up but too little too late. I couldn't wait to get to the end and I had to push myself (and I skiped quite a few pages) to finish it. The heroine and her constant logical analyzing how she feels was very boring to read. And I can't believe I'm saying this but there was way too much (sometimes boring) sex scenes and too little plot in between all those sex scenes.
Susan (susayq ~)

I never thought I'd say this, but there was just too much sex in this book. If we could have cut out some of the 12 page love scenes, we wouldn't have lost anything in the story and I might have enjoyed it a bit more. At one point, I was hoping the couple would get married soon so they'd quit having sex all the time like most married couples.

I absolutely LOVED that Simon told Portia he loved her without her having to ask or guess or cajole him into saying. He just spit it right out and
Chitra *CJ*
This was a good read.
Simon Cynster, last single male Cynster of his generation decides to get married. Somehow, he sets his sight on Portia Ashford, the no- nonsense lady- who is also in search for a husband.
As they have their first kiss and start to fall for one another- there is a killing and most of the story focuses either on introducing the characters, or the murder itself.
This was I think the second least favorite of the series for me(after the prequel).
Though it had potential- I felt bot
Kit★
Really more like a 3.5 Stars, though it was kind of tough to decide. On one hand, the mystery in this one was pretty good, kept me guessing, and while a lot of characters were introduced at the house party, once I got them straightened out in my mind, I liked most of them, and have a feeling we may see them again (I'm thinking maybe James and Charlie). Once Inspector Stokes came on the scene, I really liked him too, and look forward to seeing him some more in the Barnaby books. I mostly liked Si ...more
Sandra Mariscal

Bueno, por fin terminado. La verdad es que ni fú ni fá. No sé si por ser el 10º de la serie o qué, pero en ocasiones me perdía bastante. Mejora bastante en las últimas páginas, pero ya. Le doy un tres porque me ha entretenido, pero no es el mejor libro que tiene la autora...
Kay Bolton
May 13, 2013 Kay Bolton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
Review taken from my blog in September 2010:

I've just finished this one this morning, in between packing Toodles off to school (not my turn for the school run today) and packing orders......and it might be heading to the top of the list of Stephanie Laurens titles read thus far - an easy read of Simon Cynster and Portia Ashford, friends/adversaries since childhood and their slow discovery of love that develops. More saucy scenes and a murder ~with Simon and Portia trapping the murderer at the en
Brenda (b)
I thought this was a lovely historical romance (not counting the murders and overlooking that I skimmed a couple of the longer sex scenes). I liked both Simon and Portia, even though they weren't the same characters as when I saw them last. They were now full-grown adults who had been living independent lives. I liked that they knew each other well but still had the opportunity to learn more about each other.

On a personal note, the ebook I read was one for the Nook that had been part of a specia
LaFleurBleue
The "romance" plot was very typical of Stephanie Laurens : a heroine willing to discover what can be the possible attractions of marriage, the discoveries taking place with someone she's known her whole life, the hero former-rake just decided to create a family realizing she's his perfect bride-to-be.
Honestly this resembled very much the previous books but was nicely and quite convincingly written that I bought it, yet rolled my eyes at one or 2 scenes.
However what was different and what I reall
Alexandra
Jun 02, 2009 Alexandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I would have enjoyed this book more had the author not decided to throw in a suspense-y subplot at the last possible moment. The story read almost as if she'd gotten halfway through the book and remembered "oh right, I need a suspense bit." It felt too contrived against the backdrop of what really is a lovely romance with a fiesty heroine who is not too stupid to live and an alpha male hero that doesn't antagonize the reader. Laurens does a great job of character- and conflict- building for the ...more
Lisa Lindsey
Sep 11, 2011 Lisa Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story wasn't the usual "Cynster romance". It has a sweetness to it that made me smile throughout. I've read all the Cynster stories in order and absolutely love them. I've looked forward to reading about Simon and Portia ever since Amelia and Luc's love match. I knew when they fought as kids, I'd see them again and really enjoyed reading their love story. Lady O is by far the best of the Cynster series characters. She really showed up in this story. Ofcourse my favorite Cynster man is Devil ...more
Sababa
Mar 29, 2012 Sababa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-already
Well the two star up there doesn't mean it was badly written or anything. Its just that, when I read a romance novel, I don't want a subplot taking up so much of the book that I hardly get to see the hero and heroine together. And whenever I did see them together, they were making love! I mean sure that steamy part is all good when I know my characters well. I want to know why the guy falls in love, why the girls accepts the guy. I just don't want to read how they satisfy each other's physical n ...more
Jadzia
Another complete disappointment by Laurens. I don't have much more to say, just that the direction in which Laurens went with her writing does not appeal to me at all. It was boring and uninteresting. I was glad when I finished it.
Rachel
May 29, 2013 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I dislike these books. The first one was mediocre, and each subsequent book has been nearly identical. Basically, I'm just reading them because of my strange compulsion that leaves me incapable of dropping a series once I start. I am looking forward to being done.
Iasmy
Oct 27, 2014 Iasmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simon Frederick Cynster, are o viata perfecta, o avere fabuloasa, un statut social impecabil, iar senzualitatea lui il face sa nu duca lipsa de partenere de o noapte. Dar cu toate ca viata sa amoroasa este plina, lui parca ii lipseste ceva-ii lipseste cineva care sa faca parte din viata lui.

Realizeaza ca are nevoie de o femeie care sa fie o lady respectabila, sa apartina unei familii nobiliare bune, dar in acelasi timp sa fie si o amanta perfecta pentru
Sarah Wilson
Feb 17, 2017 Sarah Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
They solved the murder and there's still 20% of the book left? I can't anymore. I'm done. I'm still giving it 4 stars because I feel like if I hadn't just blown through 8 other Cynster books I wouldn't be so irritated with this one. BUT ALL THESE DAMN BOOKS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME. Seriously, the characters are almost identical story to story. The plot is nearly identical. I just can't anymore... How are there 20+ books in this series? How many different ways can this dead horse be beaten? How many ...more
inkandteacups
Jan 27, 2017 inkandteacups rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An endearing read! I loved these two in On a Wicked Dawn so I just had to follow the story. Although Portia doesn't have the same rambunctious personality as Angelica Cynster (hardly anyone does), Portia is still a force! Simon is your typical Cynster male but he also has a soft side that I loved. Perhaps because we saw them as kids, I didn't see this couple as a pair of 24- and 30-year olds! But as a young couple who were just coming into their own.

But it was a truly enjoyable read. And the mys
Joy
I didn't expect to like this book because it started out slow, and it was a little difficult to picture Simon all grown-up when I first read about him as a young lad in Devil's Bride. I'm also not that familiar with Portia's character, I only know her as Luc's younger sister (Luc being Amelia's husband in "On A Wicked Dawn"), so that makes them related one way or another.

There's the usual Cynster trait of being the protective and tyrannical male, but given the setting, which was a house party, t
Tonileg
I am a sucker for a mansion murder mystery! My friends would get together and play those 8 player murder-mystery games when we were in intermediate/early high school which was our version of D&D role playing. So this book particularly sucked me into the story.
Historical English romance tenth book in the Cynster series of novels with strong noble men looking for equally strong well-born ladies. Which isn't an easy thing to find when all ladies were raised to be pretty thoughtless ornaments.
M
Debfiddle
May 26, 2015 Debfiddle is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mystery
Never let it be said that a Cynster male can't face up to the one unassailable truth: A successful marriage gives life its fullest meaning. To all of English society, Simon Frederick Cynster has a perfect life—one of enormous wealth and impeccable social status. His lean handsomeness turns the heads of naïve debutantes, while his sensual allure ensures he never lacks for more sophisticated partners for a night, or more, of pleasure. Yet despite all of this, Simon knows that there is something—or ...more
Amanda
Jun 10, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 - better than the last one, but not as good as some of the original stories with the Bar Cynster. This plot at least involved intense adventure. It really did seem like a giant murder mystery party; like a fictional game of Clue with a romance. So, that was good. Definitely one of the better plots in the series.

However, my problem was with the characters. At this point in the series there is absolutely nothing that distinguishes the males from each other. I could tell the difference, genera
Romancing the Book
Oct 31, 2011 Romancing the Book rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
Review by Bri: a book I thoroughly enjoyed. Having read all the previous Cynster novels by Mrs. Laurens, this one didn’t let me down in the least. While the overall formula of rake must fight his own fears of love and convince the girl to marry him was there, the characters made it decisively different.

Portia Ashford and Simon Cynster, the last available Cynster, have been friends since birth. Both intelligent, prideful and stubborn they have played the games of dueling tongues for a decade. Wh
Lady Wesley
The last time that I read a Stephanie Laurens' book I swore, "Never again." But, silly me, the lure of a 99¢ Kindle book and fairly good reviews caused me to fall off the wagon.

This is a perfectly ordinary old-friends-fall-in-love tale, told at a large house party (which I usually like), with a murder mystery thrown in for fun. Simon agrees to school Portia in the ways of love -- in the name of protecting her from rogues -- so there's lots of (what Dear Abby used to call) heavy petting, progres
Jessi
This is one of my favorites in the Cynster series. Portia is an unmarried woman who, by the standards of the time, should be considered "on the shelf." Her brother is an earl and their family is closely entwined with the Cynsters, her brother and cousin being married to two of them.
Her life has been plagued by Simon Cynster who seems to always be hovering over her, telling her that he just wants her to be safe, but she's not so sure.
Portia has recently decided that she wants children. In order
Aldy
May 01, 2012 Aldy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historica, ceh, regencia
Dawn
Overall, rather disappointing. This is one of those books I'm glad to be finished with. I rushed through it because I felt it deserved more than a DNF.

Much like the previous book in this series, I felt it had way too much analysis of the sex between the h/h. There wasn't even a storyline until the last half of the book when a murder occurs. It takes place at a country house party. Simon Cynster decides he needs to marry and sets his sites on Portia whom he has known well for 10 years. They alwa
Melissa
Jul 16, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-reads
There is some minor timeline confusion in this book - it starts in 1835 and Aunt Clara has just died and left Simon (Amanda's and Amelia's younger brother) her estate. This led me to look at the dates in Heather, Eliza, and Angelica's books because Aunt Clara has a good portion of a scene in The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae...it's set in 1825 or some such. So this is a huge leap forward and later explains why no other Cynster characters appear in this book beyond Lady Osbaldestone (who is get ...more
Christine
Jan 07, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a history of antagonizing each other over the years, old friends Simon Cynster and Portia Ashford find themselves at the same house party deep in the English country. Unbeknown to the other, they each have a plan to find a suitable spouse. As Simon and Portia's relationship develops into something they never thought possible, the house party is rocked by a gruesome murder. Simon and Portia try to solve the murder while exploring the feelings being awakened.

Like all the Cynster book, this w
Sheila Melo
I would rate this one as a 3

THE PERFECT LOVER is the tenth book in the Cynster series. It is the story of Simon Cynster, the last unmarried male Cynster of his generation. Upon receiving an inheritance, Simon begins thinking if marriage and a family. He arrives at a house party and encounters Portia Ashford. The two have known each other since childhood and have argued constantly. An unexpected kiss changes their relationship.

This book was difficult for me to get into. There is a murder mystery
Ashley S.
This was one book I couldn't put down. Although I found myself at some points mad at the characters, I still loved it. As I started off, I wondered where it was heading and then it was sort of an obivious answer. I found the heroine very independent and strong willed, with a sharp and quick mind...I like when the author gives the woman that kind of personality, espeacially in a historical romance book. In those time's women were thought to be soft and breakable...so I was happy this heroine was ...more
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • The Marriage Lesson (Effingtons, #3)
  • Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)
  • The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)
  • Romancing Mister Bridgerton: The Epilogue II (Bridgertons, #4.5)
  • The Taming of the Duke (Essex Sisters, #3)
  • The Love Affair of an English Lord (Boscastle, #2)
  • In the Thrill of the Night (Merry Widows, #1)
  • My Dangerous Duke (Inferno Club, #2)
  • A Hellion in Her Bed (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #2)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens...

Cynster (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2)
  • Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3)
  • A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)
  • A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
  • All About Love (Cynster, #6)
  • All About Passion (Cynster, #7)
  • On a Wild Night (Cynster, #8)
  • On a Wicked Dawn (Cynster, #9)
  • On A Wild Night / On A Wicked Dawn