Start by marking “Francesca's Party: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Francesca's Party: A Novel

Francesca's Party: A Novel

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,011 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
As the novel opens, Francesca's banker husband is supposedly off to a conference in Brussels. But when she drops him off at the airport, he forgets his cell phone. Considerate wife that she is, Francesca parks the car, and hurries to catch him before his plane leaves. She catches him all right, just as he's passionately kissing one of his female colleagues like there's no ...more
Published September 17th 2002 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Francesca's Party, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Angel
Aug 21, 2010 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ireadnovels.wordpress.com
Francesca's Party by Patricia Scanlan is her very best book to date. 100% Highly recommended and 100% not to be missed. I couldn't put this book down. Something juicy is on every page. Francesca Kiwan happily married to mark in their large all paid for house. Francesca takes Mark to the airport as he is going away on a work buisness trip. But carless Mark in a hurry to catch his flight on time forgets his mobile. Loving wife Francesca pops into the airport to give Mark his mobile with her world ...more
Dorian
May 31, 2014 Dorian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Francesca Kirwan's life is in a rut. Married to a high-powered banker, mother to two grown-up sons, she is a practised corporate wife. Then she discovers her husband is having an affair. Angry, hurt, and humiliated, she throws him out.

Unfortunately, the book then gets bogged down in describing, in loving detail, how Francesca spends the next six months or so wallowing in misery and self-pity. This is not exactly thrilling stuff.

It does improve after that, though, when Francesca gets her act toge
Ruth
Mar 17, 2011 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Francesca is a perfect corporate wife. She has done all she can to support her husband Mark, a banker. So naturally when she drops Mark off at the airport and returns in the car to find his cell phone there, she runs after him to give it to him. This is when she gets the surprise of her life when she finds him at the bottom of the escalator kissing another woman. Francesca recognizes the other woman as a bank colleague of Mark's. She decides then and there to follow them to Cork and expose them. ...more
Jacqueline
Sep 20, 2011 Jacqueline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i started this book unwillingly, thinking that the writing would be a bit old-fashioned or that the whole book would be moany and depressing but i am really glad i read it!even though i cant relate to what francesca is going through i was really with her every step of the way, and i think anyone who picks up this book will end up rooting for her right to the end. its strange because overall not a lot happens in this book but i think its genius is in the normality of it,its very down to earth and ...more
Sharon Reeves
Aug 27, 2013 Sharon Reeves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was the first Patricia Scanlan book I read, and have since read nearly all. It goes down as my favourite of her books. I found it quite different to her other books. I loved reading about the revenge element. If you are angry and going through a break up, this will be a great book to read. It has you shouting "yes" when she gets one over on her husband. Absolutely loved the book, and can highly recommend it!!!
Shirley
Nov 02, 2013 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read for the deck chair. Not too challenging but very enjoyable
Lorraine Marshall
This is the best book I have read in ages, it really resonated with me, and it has actually given me hope at a time in my life when I am struggling. The only negative for me is that I have finished it; I can not recommend it highly enough.
Rebecca
I really enjoyed this book even tho it's not normally what I read but I must say I loved how strong the characters are as the story unfolds.
Denise Mcmahon
ok but stuff in there not needed
Marie
Read full review on mariesbookboutique.wordpress.com/2017...

I just adore Patricia's writing style and the way she has given the reader to see the charicters thought prosses and that gave me the reader greater understanding of each character and there current situation. Loved this book and will be reading again at some point. Just fab!!!
Engineer19
Aug 11, 2014 Engineer19 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Margaret
Jan 22, 2014 Margaret rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It may not be fair to rate this book since I didn't finish, but I didn't finish because I didn't like it. The story came out of the gate fast and furious and I thought "oh, this is going to be juicy." Unfortunately it (or I) didn't get to the finish line.

In the first two chapters: Francesca drives her husband to the airport so he can catch a flight to Brussels for an important business trip. After dropping him off, Francesca starts back home only to notice that said husband has forgotten to grab
Marisa
Mar 13, 2015 Marisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find British Chick Lit, very interesting, especially where there is infidelity involved at the husbands doing. They all seem to have the same emotions towards the spouse of "how many years", with distain and vengeful hateful remarks literally sending these devoted and unsuspecting spouses spiralling over the insecurity and self destroying edge, all to justify their betrayal to the one person that never deserved this devastating betrayal to begin with.

These innocent spouses only mistake was tr
Rachel Gilbey
Jul 18, 2015 Rachel Gilbey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me hooked right from the start when Francesca discovers that her husband Mark has been having an affair. It doesn't take her long to decide that she will be throwing him out, refusing a divorce but insisting he pays her a monthly allowance.

There is some wallowing in self-pity from Francesca but slowly with the support of her sons, her sister and he friends, she is encouraged to start embracing life again, especially with regards trying to get back into the work force.

This book gr
Heidi
Mar 14, 2015 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading a few books that had tragic endings, I was really after something with a much lighter mood. I am so glad I picked up Francesca's Party, as this novel was exactly what I was looking for.

This is the first time I've read a Patricia Scanlan book - I have no idea how I've missed this author so far. I well and truly enjoyed her writing style and her ability to create a fantastic character cast and engaging atmosphere.

I straight away felt empathy to Francesca's situation. Her character p
Ala
Oct 24, 2010 Ala rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seemed as though this was merely chick lit, but it's more involved and invokes the style of Maeve Binchy. The protagonist's journey is one many have gone through, but it almost trivializes it, while at the same time supporting justice and the wronged party. It was an interesting read, but it glossed over most of the sorrowful journey, which I think it's important to show. The male antagonist was a bit one-dimensional, and stereotypical, but the female antagonist was a bit more interesting. Th ...more
Danielle
Aug 28, 2008 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit
i quite enjoyed this book. It was a good book to read while reading Shakespeare. It's about a forty year old, wife and home maker, Francesa who discovers her husband's infidelity and her life is turned upside down. The story is told from every point of view but Franseca's is most sympathetic. In my mind stories of infidelity will never get old, nor will stories of people pulling their life together. This is my first Patricia Scanlan book and it won't be my last because she is a better written ve ...more
Mary Mack
I enjoy Patricia Scanlan's books and this was no exception. From the book jacket it appeared that it would be a story of bitter divorce, fighting over the kids and money, and wanting to get even. There's a little of that but more of how Francesca Kirwin who had been a stay-at-home mother and wife managed to pull herself out of the depths of depression and create a new life for herself. It was funny, sad, rewarding and had a great ending. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this over a long rainy weekend.
Patricia
Nov 29, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Random
Jul 11, 2013 Random rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A feel good domestic story, set in Irelend. An easy read, but thankfully without the ferosome traditional happy ending. I found the omniscient PoV a bit "cheap;" skipping into all the character's heads for their thoughts is a little too easy. I've gotten spoiled to the "show-don't-tell" of narrative writing. A quick read. Interesting because the Irish perspective on divorce, reather than separation, is not what it is in the US.
Euga
Sep 25, 2010 Euga rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
- Vienos durys užsidaro, kitos atsidaro. Žengete dar viena zingsni i prieki gyvenimo kelyje, - pastebejo Ralfas, pristabdes prie Meriono vartu uzkardos. - Ar ne kinia zodzius "krize" ir "galimybe" vartoja isreiksti ta pati? Svarbu ne tai, kas atsitinka jusu gyvenime, o tai, kaip jus su tuo susitvarkote.
Sarah-Jayne Windridge-France
I bought Francesca's Party on a whim from a charity stall a couple of years back and kept it in my car for emergency instances such as this (couped up in the hospital with a very ill boy and desperate for something to ease my sleepless nights)!

Great light relief - jam packed with humour and a thoroughly good read!
Nicki
Apr 11, 2016 Nicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable chick lit.
I couldn't stand Mark and I was really hoping Francesca wouldn't take him back. Funnily enough, I liked Nikki, even though she was the other woman and a bit bitchy. I actually pitied her as much as Francesca getting involved with that sleazy idiot.
Patricia Scanlan always writes a nice easy to read story with relatable women characters.
Bev Taylor
excellent prose as always

however, after just a few pages, it was obvious what plot would unfik ad how it would end

to be honest, i just got bored with it especially as it was quite repetitive with descriptions of characters emotions and feelings

sorry!

bev
Betty Bell

A story along the lines of Maeve Binchy. Francesca's life is suddenly changed from perfect wife when she finds her husband cheating. Her new life and how she creates it makes for a entertaining read.
Bev
Feb 10, 2015 Bev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and felt like I knew Francesca! I liked the journey it took you on as sometimes I wanted her to get back together with her husband because they were happy but she ended up happy and I think realised she had just been happily in a comfort zone rut for a long time.
Kim
May 16, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't know why everyone keeps saying that this book is like Maeve Binchy. I don't see that at all except for taking place in Ireland. That's why I read it, but it's really just Irish Chick-lit for 40-somethings.
Liz
Jan 03, 2015 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took too long and kept going over and over the same ground however I did manage to finish it so it was a quick easy read.
Francesca finds her husband is unfaithful and the story revolves around her journey in coping with it
Nikhita
If you wanna commit suicide , reading this book is one way to do it... (its a miracle I'm still alive :|)
  • Trouble Won't Wait (Love-n-Trouble)
  • Caroline's Sister
  • Just Between Us
  • Something Borrowed
  • Daddy's Girls
  • The Rake's Rainbow
  • The Coming Home Place
  • Indemnity (Covenant of Trust #2)
  • The Mill House
  • The Broken Hearts' Society of Suite 17C
  • Old Sins
  • Disturbing Stranger
  • Rich Girl, Poor Girl
  • Jake Howard's Wife
Patricia Scanlan was born in Dublin, where she still lives. While working as a librarian she started to write, and now has a full-time career as a bestselling author.
More about Patricia Scanlan...