Start by marking “Islands of Silence: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Islands of Silence: A Novel

Islands of Silence: A Novel

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Islands of Silence is the story of the young Alec Marquand, who in the summer of 1914 has just graduated from college with a degree in archaeology. He has been hired by the lord of a remote country estate in the Scottish Highlands to survey the ancient Stone Age brochs that lie on his property.

Once there Alec comes upon a small island which is called Eilean Tosdach--the I
Published January 3rd 2003 by Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Islands of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Islands of Silence

Hugh
This was a book I found in a sale many years ago, but became one of my favourite novels - a moving and powerfully written book contrasting the experiences of an ex-soldier numbed by war memories and a semi-wild girl found on a remote Scottish island, and the different silent worlds they inhabit.
Jeanne
Martin Booth is a gifted story teller, or I guess I should say was. I am always saddened when I discover a new author, only to find out he has died. The "silence" is expressed on several levels...very complex, lots to think about.
Howard
What a surprise and a fantastic book. I had trouble getting started; but I wasn't prepared for the style, after about 60 pages I figure it out and was taken away! One of my favorites and the best read since Shadow of the Wind. After I finished I was thinking of the girl and really thought I may have seen a ghost or her spirit in my room. "She is yours" gives me goose bumps still.
Lizie
An intriguing story, well written. The book opens with the main character in a catatonic state living in an asylum where he quietly observes life around him. Each alternate chapter reveals a bit more of his life story and why he has ended up in this state.
Nancy
Interesting story - weird main character. He was extremely frustrating, but what a life story. A little confusing, war scenes are horrible.
Rose Neild
What an amazing novel, so beautifully written. lots of emotions. read it if you liked atonement.
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Stanford Lamberg
Stanford Lamberg marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Alan Paris
Alan Paris marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Pteron
Pteron added it
Apr 13, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Justin
Justin added it
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Martin Booth writes strong, pacy adventures with compelling storylines. His work is dramatic, cinematic and well-researched. If you're looking for a gripping read (with guaranteed boy appeal), you're in the right hands!

THE BASICS
Born: Lancashire, 1944
Jobs: Screenwriter, Novelist
Lives: Somerset
First Book for Children: War Dog, 1996
More about Martin Booth...
A Very Private Gentleman Gweilo: Memories Of A Hong Kong Childhood Doctor Illuminatus (The Alchemist’s Son, #1) The Industry of Souls Cannabis: A History