Start by marking “Islands of Silence: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Islands of Silence: A Novel

Islands of Silence: A Novel

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Islands of Silence is the story of the young Alec Marquand, who in the summer of 1914 has just graduated from college with a degree in archaeology. He has been hired by the lord of a remote country estate in the Scottish Highlands to survey the ancient Stone Age brochs that lie on his property.

Once there Alec comes upon a small island which is called Eilean Tosdach--the
Published January 3rd 2003 by Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Islands of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Islands of Silence

Hugh
This was a book I found in a sale many years ago, but became one of my favourite novels - a moving and powerfully written book contrasting the experiences of an ex-soldier numbed by war memories and a semi-wild girl found on a remote Scottish island, and the different silent worlds they inhabit.
Jeanne
Martin Booth is a gifted story teller, or I guess I should say was. I am always saddened when I discover a new author, only to find out he has died. The "silence" is expressed on several levels...very complex, lots to think about.
Darcy
Feb 07, 2015 Darcy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: wwii
thoroughly surprised me how much I enjoyed where this book took me.
Howard
What a surprise and a fantastic book. I had trouble getting started; but I wasn't prepared for the style, after about 60 pages I figure it out and was taken away! One of my favorites and the best read since Shadow of the Wind. After I finished I was thinking of the girl and really thought I may have seen a ghost or her spirit in my room. "She is yours" gives me goose bumps still.
Lizie
An intriguing story, well written. The book opens with the main character in a catatonic state living in an asylum where he quietly observes life around him. Each alternate chapter reveals a bit more of his life story and why he has ended up in this state.
Nancy
Interesting story - weird main character. He was extremely frustrating, but what a life story. A little confusing, war scenes are horrible.
Rose Neild
What an amazing novel, so beautifully written. lots of emotions. read it if you liked atonement.
Hope Annabelle Clegane
Hope Annabelle Clegane marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Lilisa
Lilisa marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Joanna Menda
Joanna Menda marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Stanford Lamberg
Stanford Lamberg marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Alan Paris
Alan Paris marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Pteron
Pteron added it
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Martin Booth was a prolific British novelist and poet. He also worked as a teacher and screenwriter, and was the founder of the Sceptre Press.
More about Martin Booth...
Gweilo: Memories Of A Hong Kong Childhood A Very Private Gentleman Doctor Illuminatus (The Alchemist’s Son, #1) The Industry of Souls Cannabis: A History