Start by marking “The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin” as Want to Read:
The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin

The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  212 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Rich Mullins was more than a musician. He was a poet and thinker who left behind a timeless legacy. As a columnist for Release magazine for nearly six years, Rich shared his musings on faith and life, conveying the wonder and awesomeness of his God with the same depth and simplicity that characterized his music. The World As I Remember It is a collection of these personal ...more
Published March 8th 2004 by Multnomah Books

To ask other readers questions about The World as I Remember It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World as I Remember It

Sheena
May 13, 2010 Sheena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity, keepers
"The World as I Remember It" is basically a collection of essays, written by songwriter Rich Mullins, reflecting on life and faith. Anyone who has found Mullins' songwriting style captivating or moving will likely enjoy the essays in this collection. As his songs indicate, Rich Mullins is able to take a theological concept (however complex), relate it to real life, and share that process in an engaging manner. The essays are written in a very approachable manner -- reading them is like sitting d ...more
Samantha
Mar 17, 2008 Samantha rated it it was amazing

A treasury of Rich's engaging, intimate reflections on faith and life. You'll find yourself continually focused on the Creator, Redeemer and Inspirer of Life... we serve an Awesome God!
Nicole
Apr 05, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
A collection of writings from Rich Mullins, an extraordinary poet and story teller. He was my favorite song writer before he passed away. This book is a real treasure.
Sarah Honkanen
Jul 11, 2009 Sarah Honkanen rated it it was amazing
Beautiful words. Heartfelt. Truth.
very touching. I found myself wanting to read a chapter to every one I met.
Keiki Hendrix
Sep 13, 2010 Keiki Hendrix rated it it was amazing
‘A book to remember the writer/poet, Rich Mullins, with exceptional photography”

A collection of articles for RELEASE Magazine written by Rich Mullins and including some beautiful photos by Ben Pearson make The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin a book to keep in your personal library on the shelf reserved for those ‘special’ books.

Though the articles are all online at kidbrothers.net, having them in one book collection is good for those times you want to read the about the
Beth Anne
Mar 10, 2013 Beth Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Excellent. Rich wrote a column for Release magazine for many years; this book is largely a compilation of those articles. He was brief and poignant, understood people and scripture very well. I thought learning more about him might make me like him less, but it only grew my admiration.

P. 49: So, let us press on with no faith in our own understanding and nothing but faith in the truth that is too great to be diminished by our feeble minds and too great not to transform us. Salvation comes from G
Jaclynn
Jan 21, 2008 Jaclynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2007

This book shows a little about Rich and what he did with life along with a collection of his articles/thoughts/reflections. Rich died a sudden and tragic death in an auto accident, he thought his work as a Christian music (most “famous” for the song, Our God Is An Awesome God) was not yet finished, but instead the Lord called him home. I enjoyed the deep thoughts on theology, although not really on theology, but really just on the relationship of man and God. Simple, yet profound.
debbie~cr8zycat~
Wow. I know that word is so over-used, but I have no other words. I subscribed to Release Magazine back in the day and often devoured Rich's writings like they were my daily food and nourishment. We all have spiritual mentors, and the songbook of our life. Rich was and is that for me. I just discovered this book; I can barely put it down. I am like another reviewer, I just wanna share it with everyone I meet. I am not finished with it yet....work gets in the way. (dang work). But, I don't wanna ...more
Mark Archibald
Oct 28, 2015 Mark Archibald rated it really liked it
Simple articles by Rich Mullins that draw us into a greater awe of a great-big-yet-approachable-and-knowable God. Rich was one of my three favorite biblical song writers (among Dutin Kensrue and Derek Webb) and the written words here do not disappoint.
Jenny Olson
Dec 28, 2015 Jenny Olson rated it it was amazing
Wonderful to read the writings of my favorite songwriter. His unique look at faith and grace that was always evident in his lyrics comes through in this collection as well.
Tung
Jan 14, 2008 Tung rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Rich Mullins is primarily known for his many best-selling Contemporary Christian CDs. The lyrics of the songs he wrote are among the best-written of Contemporary Christian artists. So it should be no surprise that his writing is first-rate. Mullins understands the basics of Christian faith so well that his love of God comes out in everything he writes. Each of the pieces in this collection are like mini-sermons diluted to their core truths. I recommend this to believers and non-believers alike w ...more
Ruthie
Sep 20, 2015 Ruthie rated it really liked it
[2015 Reading Challenge - ]
Naomi
Feb 03, 2014 Naomi rated it really liked it
Great little collection of essays, a collaboration of Rich's columns from when he wrote for "Release" magazine.
Aaron
Feb 21, 2013 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Such an incredible little book. Simple yet profound, Rich Mullins's insight is second to none. I spent more time writing notes and marking sentences/passages I loved than actually reading the book. Food for the soul, I tell ya. Good stuff!
Joel
Mar 22, 2008 Joel rated it it was ok
This is a collection of essays that Rich wrote. In characteristic fashion they are thoughtful, personal reflections on God and the life we live before Him. I enjoyed reading this, but I would limit the recommendation to fans of RIch.
Angelina
Jul 08, 2013 Angelina rated it it was amazing
Great devotional! It's definitely one that needs to be read in bits rather than in one sitting. Therefore, I recommend owning it, rather than checking it out at the library like I did. Great insight!
Micah
Jan 29, 2013 Micah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I really appreciated this collection of articles. It was short and easy to read, but provided a wealth of insight to life and spiritual perspectives. I highly recommend it.
Daniel Cooksey
Oct 02, 2014 Daniel Cooksey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-own
Rich Mullins was an amazing songwriter but also a gifted essayist. He made faith compelling and honest in a way too few writers do.
Tim Beck
Aug 26, 2009 Tim Beck rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
a collection of short articles Rich Mullins wrote for Release Magazine. Very thought provoking. An easy read at my convenience.
Mick Wright
Apr 02, 2015 Mick Wright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Thin volume that can be read in a day or two, but these simple, beautiful pages of wisdom demand slower, repeated readings.
Oct 07, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
An excellently written and thought-provoking book.
Drew Smith
Jun 28, 2013 Drew Smith rated it it was amazing
Just...wow.
Dave Andrews
Dave Andrews rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Cory
Cory rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Faith Bicknese
Faith Bicknese marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Richard Kolivoski
Richard Kolivoski marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Adriana Valverde
Adriana Valverde marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
hazel greene
hazel greene rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
  • Rich Mullins: A Devotional Biography: An Arrow Pointing to Heaven
  • Lion and Lamb: The Relentless Tenderness
  • A Violent Grace
  • Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy
  • Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church
  • A Farewell to Mars: An Evangelical Pastor's Journey Toward the Biblical Gospel of Peace
  • Mere Churchianity: Finding Your Way Back to Jesus-Shaped Spirituality
  • Seizing Your Divine Moment: Dare to Live a Life of Adventure
  • Things Hidden: Scripture as Spirituality
  • I Grew Up Little: Finding Hope in a Big God
  • The Road to Unafraid: How the Army's Top Ranger Faced Fear and Found Courage through Black Hawk Down and Beyond
  • Answering God: The Psalms as Tools for Prayer
  • The Sacredness of Questioning Everything
  • Faithful: A Theology of Sex (Ordinary Theology)
  • The Openness of God
  • Finding Organic Church: A Comprehensive Guide to Starting and Sustaining Authentic Christian Communities
  • Reading Revelation Responsibly: Uncivil Worship and Witness: Following the Lamb into the New Creation
  • Honestly

“Love one another, forgive one another, work as unto God, let the peace of Christ reign in your hearts. Make it your ambition to lead quiet lives. Obey. Greet one another with a holy kiss. No one will argue with that.” 5 likes
“Faith is a matter of the will as much as it is of the intellect. I wanted to believe in Jesus. My friend wanted to believe in himself. In spite of how convincing my reason was, my reason was not compelling.” 3 likes