Start by marking “Hope Diamond: The Legendary History of a Cursed Gem” as Want to Read:
Hope Diamond: The Legendary History of a Cursed Gem

Hope Diamond: The Legendary History of a Cursed Gem

Since its discovery in seventeenth-century India, the Hope diamond, a glimmering deep blue gem weighing over 45 carats, has been shrouded in mystery and steeped in intrigue. In this groundbreaking work, Dr. Richard Kurin goes beyond the speculation to reveal the truth behind a legendary stone.

Kurin, a cultural anthropologist, spent more than a decade on the trail of the l

Published September 4th 2007 by Harper Perennial (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hope Diamond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope Diamond

Kelly
Jan 08, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2006, nonfiction, bc2006
I was starting to feel a little cursed myself while reading this book, since every time I tried to pick it up life would interfere. But alas, I and the book have prevailed and the reading is complete.
Kurin not only captures every bit of history surrounding the Hope diamond, but the mining, trading, and cutting associated with diamonds in general. I found myself, more than once, trapping anyone around me and making them listen as I read a passage or two. I had to laugh when Kurin talks about the
Alycia
Feb 03, 2009 Alycia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book wound up being utterly fascinating. Kurin tracks the diamond back through its recorded history, from the mid-seventeenth century to the present day. Along the way, he provides details on diamond mining, composition and cutting as well as Indian and European politics and history. The 'curse' of the Hope diamond turns out to be so much nonsense, but the reality makes for a much better tale.
J.M.
Apr 24, 2009 J.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Very interesting look at the history of one of the most famous diamonds in the world. I would've liked more photos, particular in color, and of the other gemstones mentioned throughout the text, but thankfully we have Google and Wikipedia for that now. Fascinating for anyone interested in the story behind the stone.
Mikki Cabrera
Aug 05, 2009 Mikki Cabrera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Mikki by: Machele Taliaferro
Fascinating book about the Hope Diamond. The cool things is that by following the Hope Daimond, you have an opportunity to follow history-all wrapped around something as intriguing as the lore and legend surround this famous gem, which now resides in the Smithsonian Gem Museum. Great read!
Mary Beth
Oct 27, 2016 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good flow and has the details of the history of the diamond.
Chris
May 15, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: museum, science
Cursed or not cursed, that is the question. On one hand, cursed means more tourists coming to see, which means more money.

But cursed doesn't seem likely.

The Hope Diamond is one of the draws to Smithison Natural History museum. It forms part of a gem collection and is always surronded by people, most of whom just look at it because everyone else is. Or they think it is the biggest diamond in the world. (I like the mammal better myself, though there is something about the Hope).

Kurin's book is as
Evanston Public  Library
I picked this book up in the gift shop of the Smithsonian as something to read on my flight back to Milwaukee. To be fair, the Hope Diamond (and all things shiny for that matter), has always fascinated me, so I recognize this book might not appeal to everyone. However, this book is absolutely amazing. In the short flight (I think it’s 2 hours) I managed to finish this book and take a nap, though I am including airport waiting time as well. It just grabs you. Dr. Richard Kurin is the Under Secret ...more
Lisa James
Sep 09, 2012 Lisa James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, owned
A book sponsored by & published by the Smithsonian itself, this is a truly fascinating look at the actual history of one of the most famous diamonds in the world. The author spent over 10 years in the researching of the diamond, & the places he went to learn these things I could only ever dream of being able to go... The Hope is supposed to be "cursed" by ill fortune to whoever wears it or comes in contact with it, but most of that has been disproved, since the authors even went to the t ...more
Mallory
Oct 17, 2015 Mallory rated it it was ok
One of the world's most famous stones gets CSI-type treatment in this history on its legend and all the famous names who owned it through the centuries. A bit boring after a while and somewhat of an overkill on facts. It was interesting to travel through so much history as the gem found its way into different hands.

Favorite quotes: "There are those who would believe that somehow a curse is housed deep in the blue of the Hope diamond. I scoff at that in the privacy of my mind, for I do comprehen
Ashley
May 20, 2010 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book at the Smithsonian after seeing the Hope with my own eyes. I knew virtually nothing about the stone, including the legend of its curse, so this book seemed a perfect fit for my curiosity. Dr. Kurin does a magnificent job of detailing the history of this stone-from its origins to the technology used to cut and shape the stone. And while all this information is great from a research perspective, it did not make for the most interesting read. There are other books out there th ...more
Jennyb
Jan 05, 2015 Jennyb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, there is a good reason you find a book in the bargain bin...

In this case, there is only so much to be said can say about one gemstone, no matter how storied and beautiful. Richard Kurnin says it -- and more -- in this tome about the Hope Diamond. While there are plenty of interesting facts and vignettes in this book, it is just too long, and at times it drags insufferably. It would have been far better condensed into an article, or a couple of chapters in a book about the provenance o
Cate
Jul 23, 2007 Cate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Not bad--learned a lot about diamonds and gems in general. Some excellent turns of phrase, and incredible guess-work and research about the Hope diamond. Some sections are cheesy and there's an overall tone that suggests the duller parts of touring a museum, but it doesn't get too bogged down. Overall, an interesting read.
David Szatkowski
Dec 20, 2014 David Szatkowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, fun book. Richard Kurin works for the Smithsonian Institution; in this book, he examines how the Smithsonian acquired the Hope Diamond. And along the way, the reader learns about gemology, history, geo-political politics, and how diamond are graded and cut.
Tina
May 01, 2012 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this one, but it was slow to take off. Some parts were not very interesting. It details tne ownership and history of the Hope Diamond. I didn't realize it was so old, but some of the early years' info was very dry.
Kay Allen
Jun 24, 2013 Kay Allen rated it it was amazing
Nicely written and author does a nice job of making some dry material interesting. This made me want to see items mentioned in the book and luckily I have been able to do this. Makes a great read about an iconic item!
Laynie
Dec 12, 2009 Laynie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The beginning was slow and a bit boring. But the ending was much more interesting. After finishing, I trekked down to the National Museum of Natural History to see the famed Hope Diamond. Ends up, it will be put in a new setting next month. I'll have to go back and see it then.
F.A. McMillan
Jul 02, 2007 F.A. McMillan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs, people who like folklore
This book was one that I randomly picked up in the library because it looked interesting. So far I have not been bored, and I'm learning a lot about Indian history and trade between countries during the 15th and 16th centuries.
Nicole Ambarchian
Aug 28, 2015 Nicole Ambarchian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating read and a history lesson in famous gems. As I read along I would google search images of all the famous gems mentioned in the book. Fun times!
Joseph Caputo
The writing wasn't perfect and it could have gone without a few chapters, but very well researched work.
Pudds Downing
Pudds Downing rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2009
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Lorea
Lorea rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Kari
Kari rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2012
Jessica Peterson
Jessica Peterson rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2014
Becky Terry
Becky Terry rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2014
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Lauren Schuman
Lauren Schuman rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2014
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Dri
Dri rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Scandals, Vandals, and da Vincis: A Gallery of Remarkable Art Tales
  • Steel Drivin' Man: John Henry, the Untold Story of an American Legend
  • A Guide to Smithsonian Gardens
  • Robin Hood
  • Uppity Women of the New World
  • Caliban's Shore: The Wreck of the Grosvenor and the Strange Fate of Her Survivors
  • Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind the Rhyme
  • Fantastic Metamorphoses, Other Worlds: Ways of Telling the Self
  • The Atlas of Mysterious Places: The World's Unexplained Sacred Sites, Symbolic Landscapes, Ancient Cities, and Lost Lands
  • The Arctic Grail: The Quest for the Northwest Passage and the North Pole, 1818-1909
  • Disguised: A Wartime Memoir