Start by marking “How Are You Peeling?” as Want to Read:
How Are You Peeling?

How Are You Peeling?

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,278 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Feelings
"Amused? Confused? Frustrated? Surprised? Try these feelings on for size."

This is a book that asks all the right questions. And leaves you feeling great no matter w
Published June 1st 2004 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1999)

James and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckTwilight by Stephenie MeyerA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessOn the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Fruit Salad
79th out of 314 books — 57 voters
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSpritzerville,…Ohio? by Jason R. KoivuWhy Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha ChristieWhose Body? by Dorothy L. SayersThey Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Horace McCoy
Titles with a Question Mark?
396th out of 408 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

April Thompson
Jun 23, 2016 April Thompson rated it liked it
I expected more from this. Damn expectations..
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
As the parent of an emotionally disturbed foster daughter, I know first hand how necessary it is for young children to understand their emotions, whether positive or negative, and find appropriate outlets to express those emotions.

This beautiful book is a wonderful way to expose young children to the concept of emotions, and to help a youngster know there is a difference between "sad" and "tired" and "lonely". While the book does not always explain what those emotions mean, it presents the emoti
Erin M.
Aug 22, 2011 Erin M. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-s-books
Based on concept alone, I have to give this book 5 stars.

I ordered it for my oldest daughter a few years back from Scholastic, because, I had to admit, I wanted to read it. When her teachers saw it, they wanted to read it, too.

Now I am passing a torn, taped and battered copy down to my youngest, hoping she will enjoy it just as much.

There is something simply engaging about the bold, primary colours, the thick, glossy pages, and of course, the odd-shaped vegetables and fruits given more expressi
I'm pretty sure I bought this for my cousins as a thank-you gift for letting me stay with them for a time. It was probably when the book was published. I love this book--anything silly like this makes me smile. (Think the cupcake book and the Star Wars cookbooks.) But I like to play with my food and I'm glad others out there do, too.

1/25/12 A great storytime suggestion from my co-worker that was a much better choice than my previous "Squish Rabbit." The text was way too small for me to be able
Jul 30, 2015 Dan rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most moving and inspirational books I have ever had the privilege to read. "How Are You Peeling" made me take an objective look at my emotional state and helped me to realize that having different feelings all the time is okay - that's what life is all about! This book quenched my thirst for literature while giving me an unusual craving for turnips.
Jan 24, 2016 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, beloved
2001, January 1

These guys, they make vegetables into faces, or animals or whatever, and then they take pictures of them. It sounds stupid, but it's brilliant, really.

Library copy
Amazingly expressive veggies! This is the cutest book, and darned if it doesn't make me want to take a knife and a bag of dried blackeyed peas and start building myself a little veggie village....
Sara Lemonade
Dec 08, 2014 Sara Lemonade rated it it was amazing
Nothing but faces made out of fruits and vegetables, and it's soooo cool to look at!
Ali Martini
Sep 23, 2016 Ali Martini rated it really liked it
2nd grade emotions, read then make Jack-o-lanterns
Oct 21, 2012 Valerie rated it really liked it
“How Are You Peeling? Foods with Moods” is an informational picture book that has pictures of different types of fruits and vegetables. These aren’t just any old foods though, they have emotions too! The pictures of food in this book have been carved out with an exacto knife in order to make them look like animals or to have human-like expressions. The text of this book gives prompts to how the food is probably feeling and suggests what scene might be taking place to the reader.
When I
April Poulter
Aug 10, 2016 April Poulter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
I read a book a few weeks ago by the same author entitled "Fast Food" and really enjoyed it. The pictures are so clever! It is so fun to see how they went about using fruits and vegetables to make faces that convey emotion. Children will love looking at and laughing at the pictures in this book!
Besides the pictures being amazing, this book provides a fun atmosphere in which to talk about feelings and emotions. Having studied child development throughout college, I recognize and am a strong advoc
Brooke Leone
Mar 22, 2015 Brooke Leone rated it it was amazing
"How Are You Peeling?" is a great book for young readers specifically. Young readers such as preschoolers and children who are just learning how to read love this book because it is so creative and fun yet still very easy for them to read. The book basically uses friends and vegetables as the illustrations and goes through all the different emotions kids could have in different situations. This book is a great teaching point because if a child is feeling sad or mad, you could use this book to sh ...more
Luis Reynoso
Feb 01, 2015 Luis Reynoso rated it liked it
How Are You Peeling? Is a children’s book with illustrations of fruits and vegetables showing with faces showing their emotions. Each page asks the reader if they are in a specific emotion with a fruit or vegetable personified into having that emotion on their face. Every couple pages the author asks the reading how we, the readers, are feeling.
The first thing that stood out to me was that the fruits and vegetables were not drawn. They were all real photographs of fruits and vegetables altered
Apr 24, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
What could be just silly -- fruits and vegetables with faces -- turns thought-provoking as readers must consider what exactly it is about an expression that evokes emotion. The rhyming text is secondary to the delightful photographs of carved produce, from a squash towering over tiny radishes to a strawberry kissing a puckered-up apple. An end note explains how the artists used an Exacto knife and natural materials such as black-eyed peas to create the grinning and scowling veggies. Unlike many ...more
My first thought, wow, this really does take informational books to a different level. Originally, I had thought that the genre would focus more on relaying factual information. It opened by eyes to the category of concept books, to look at elementary factual topics.

This would definitely be more of an elementary book. I think it would be an interesting book to use as a read aloud to a first or second grade room. It could provide good conversations about emotions and how we deal with them. Teach
Lisa Vegan
My library copy had a page torn out so either somebody really liked it or a young child got their hands on it. I didn’t like it enough to borrow another copy to see what I missed.

I was not wowed. The poem that made up the story was only so-so, and the photos of the fruits and vegetables made into faces with various expressions were not as inventive and attractive as others I’ve seen by this artist.

And as a vegan (especially when reading to vegan kids) it’s sufficiently laborious to describe the
Shelby Moser
Oct 03, 2013 Shelby Moser rated it liked it
Shelves: eng-261
How Are You Peeling? was an interesting way of teaching children about the emotions that they might have. The book uses various vegetables with facial expressions to teach the children about different emotions. The book touches on jealousy, anger, happiness, being shy, ect.
I think that this book is creative, it is not one of my favorite books to read, but I would assume many kids would find enjoyment in vegetables with faces on them. This book is obviously for children in the age range of 3-5.
Shannon Brasher
Sep 01, 2015 Shannon Brasher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschool, emotions
This is an excellent book to read with children to discuss emotions. For young children or children with special needs, they may have a hard time expressing and/or understanding various emotions or how they or others are feeling. This book does a fantastic job of putting a face to an emotion using whimsical artwork. Even though this book is recommended as ages 4-8, I believe children of all ages will enjoy this book. The photography in this book is beautiful and children will enjoy looking at th ...more
Nashiea Edmiston
This book would be a good choice for younger children who are learning ways to express their feelings as it has many pictures (of fruits and vegetables) with their varying shapes that have been transformed to look like they are forming human emotions. The author did a great job of prompting the listener so that they can come up with possible answers to the questions. Children will be able to hear varying ways to express similar feelings, plus the illustrations are very vivid and honestly, I am j ...more
Nov 06, 2014 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute and clever book!! I was amazed at the creativity the author had to make faces our of fruits and vegetables. The author was creative at using the different parts of the fruits and vegetables, to convey a feeling. I thought it especially creative at how the author carved out the inside of a fruit, or only half carved it to show a smile.
I thought it especially cute and clever how he author showed the shy face. a little fruit hiding inside a carved out cantalope.
I was smiling
Breanna Zarate
May 15, 2012 Breanna Zarate rated it it was amazing
I love this book! This is one of my favorite informational text books! This book is a wonderful way to expose young children to the concept of emotions, and to help a youngster know there is a difference between "happy," "sad," and "tired".
I think this book would be an amazing asset for younger grade teachers, for example kindergartners. There are also may lesson plans that can go along with this specific text as well. Overall, if you teach younger grades I would definitely recommend this book
Mar 16, 2011 Sheniece rated it really liked it
Shelves: emotions
Freymann was very creative when it comes to pictures in this book. It was so cool how he used fruits and vegetables, and other things, to create real facial expressions. I would use this book to have a discussion with my students about the moods being conveyed by the facial expressions being shown. The students and I will have a discussion about what situations make them feel certain ways such as timid, lonely, scared etc. This will help students reflect on feelings which promote social emotiona ...more
Oct 22, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
What a neat book! The illustrations (all photos of real fruits and vegetables!) are fantastic, and all were done with an Exacto knife, according to the book cover. Miles really enjoys reading this and identifying the emotions of the various fruits and veggies. I like it because it helps him identify emotional states and prompts conversation about why someone would feel that way and how different situations make us feel.
I love this book! All of the illustrations are of fruits and vegetables of difference shapes that have been given eyes and sometimes carved to evoke facial expressions. The range of expressions is really kind of amazing. I was reading this with a group of almost 40 kids, which limited the amount of audience interaction somewhat, but if I was working with a smaller group I probably would have done more with having them guess the emotions being portrayed.
Kendall Kraiss
Apr 25, 2012 Kendall Kraiss rated it really liked it
Not only is this book cute and informational but the art work is amazing. While teaching kids about types of fruits/vegetables, it also shows them a different kind of art work. The author cuts and creates expressions on the fruits and vegetables to show emotions. It's really amazing! This is great for the younger grades (however even adults would find it cute and amazing). Overall it's a great book to have in your classroom because it can have so much potential to be used in a lesson!
This is a fun one that I'm not totally sure I had as a kiddo. I remember a book similar to this from when I was not too young -- between 10 and 12, I think. Yet when I finally tracked down a copy of this, it didn't trigger much. I can't figure out if I simply had another book by Saxton Freymann or if my memory is just shoddy.

Anyway, it's a fun book. Many of the faces make me laugh, and I also think it'd be fun to use with children by having them name the foods that are used.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Freymann and Elffers use produce to artistically address an important aspect of child development. Emotional and social well-being. By using fruits and vegetables to ask questions about a child's feelings they not only get children thinking about their feelings and responses to emotions but also provide them with emotional vocabulary that will assist them in expressing themselves and understanding others. Great book!
This book is full of fruits and vegetable describing how they feel. They "talk" about how they can be happy or sad. This is an excellent way for children to see how facial expressions change. The pages in this book are full of large, colorful illustrations. The children are also able to count the furits and vegetables to see how many are sad and how many are happy. Many other activities can be done too, for example talking about the nutrition of healthy foods.
Babette Reeves
Feb 25, 2009 Babette Reeves rated it it was amazing
One of the toughest and most important tasks in our growing is learning to recognize and name our feelings. Most of this happens with the help of caring adults but sometimes we all need a little extra help.

Freymann's book is that extra help in a fun, non-threatening format. It's amazing how expressive the fruits and vegetables with their little black-eye pea eyes can be. It really is a remarkable book!
Breana Fitzgerald
This book is a great story to read to younger children and children who have difficulty expressing their feelings. It give different examples of feelings with words that might not be familiar to younger kids. It give the faces of vegetables for identifying what that feeling means. It will bring up great class discussion questions on how the kids feel, and what kinds of vegetables are shown in the story.
How Are You Peelimg? 1 4 May 01, 2012 01:36AM
  • Food For Thought
  • The Way I Feel
  • The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
  • Glad Monster, Sad Monster
  • One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder
  • Today I Feel Silly & Other Moods That Make My Day
  • Sophie's Masterpiece: A Spider's Tale
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Walter Was Worried
  • Charlie Needs a Cloak
  • How Do Apples Grow?
  • My Mouth Is a Volcano!
  • When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • When I Feel Angry (Way I Feel)