Start by marking “Dog Food” as Want to Read:
Dog Food

Dog Food

For dog lovers of all ages, a banquet of (pepper) puppy puns!

Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers have wowed readers with the funny food faces of HOW ARE YOU PEELING, the underwater vegetable visions of ONE LONELY SEAHORSE and the lush produce landscapes of GUS AND BUTTON. Now with DOG FOOD, the duo turns its talents to the canine realm, wittily reworking familiar doggy phras
Published September 1st 2002 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Dog Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Food

James and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckTwilight by Stephenie MeyerA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessOn the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Fruit Salad
91st out of 314 books — 57 voters
Banana by Dan KoeppelLove in Infant Monkeys by Lydia MilletBanana Cultures by John SoluriThe Fish That Ate the Whale by Rich CohenPenis Genius by Jordan LaRousse
Bananas
53rd out of 77 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Jul 03, 2016 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dogs lovers, fruit & vegetable lovers, those who appreciate creative illustrations
I’ve always liked (but not usually loved) these “play with your food” type books, creating pictures by using various foods, particularly when fruits and vegetables are the foods being sculpted.

This one, all dogs, is adorable. It’s appropriate from ages birth on. Each page has one or a few sculptures and a very short description, such as “good dog” and “top dog” and “sick as a dog” and “dog eat dog” among others, and the illustrations fit those captions.

I love many of the doggy depictions. The
Jamie
Oct 16, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it
This book is very simple. There are about 2 words on each page. Students could definitely read this book. What makes it interesting are the illustrations and the puns used throughout. The illustrations are fun to look at because all of the dogs are made from food. They are a fun take on illustrations. You could talk about how you wouldn't normally think of making animals out of food. Then when it comes to making images out of different shapes you could make the connection that you have to think ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Apr 25, 2012 Kelly H. (Maybedog) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-picture-book
Dogs made out of fruit and vegetables--what's not to love? Brings to mind my cabbage dog holiday ornament but not so kitchy:

It is, however full of silly puns. Delightful!
Luann
Mar 03, 2010 Luann rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2010
Besides the fun of seeing food turned into very cute dogs, this could also be used in a lesson on idioms or puns.
David
Jun 28, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Dog Food by Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers features familiar dog phrases and food creations portraying them.

Prepare to be (bow) wowed by the varied canine creations in Dog Food. There are also pup puns and word plays a-plenty here.

The variety and creativity of the dog sculptures is impressive and fun. Each page has a few sculptures and a couple words or a brief phrase. I especially like the two page spread: Good dog! Other favorite images are top dog, dog bowl, dog show, pup tent, dog tired
Kelsey
May 19, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Dog Food illustrates a variety of dog-related idioms with dogs made out of a variety of fruits and vegetables. The illustrations are very fun and unique. The prose is simple. It would be appropriate for helping children to understand the concept of idioms. It would also be appropriate for encouraging print motivation.
Meg McGregor
May 03, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Love, love, love this book!

I can't imagine how long it took to create these wonderful food "dogs!"
They are carved out of bananas, onion, oranges, cucumbers, etc.

My absolute favorites are: Mad Dog, Dog Paddle, Dog Bowl, Dog Tag, and Sick Puppy!
Ina
Jul 31, 2012 Ina rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
I am always amazed at the amazing art Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers can create with food. This book is no exception. The text consists of all sorts of dog phrases with a corresponding bright and humorous food illustration. Hot dog, chilly dog, dog paddle, dog tag - they are all here. My young story time audience especially loved dog show (three food dogs watching a mushroom tv set), dog eat dog (one radish dog biting the tail of a larger, pepper dog) and puppy love. While this is not my favo ...more
Janis
Mar 29, 2015 Janis rated it really liked it
So creative--makes me want to try this.
Kaethe
Sep 11, 2016 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
2004, January 1

These books crack me up. We spend ages peering at them to work out the details of how they're made. Also, we're fans of bad puns.

***

This is exactly the sort of book that makes the teenagers roll their eyes at me. But I am stalwart. Once I have an image such as one of these in my mind, nothing will do but that I check out every one the library has.

Library copy
Matthew
Oct 03, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
While this book is sparse on text, it's illustrations are really interesting in a head-scratchingly odd sort of way. They were all constructed from food,and while that would seem like a novelty act, the expression that the illustrators generated is truly a sight to behold, if for no other reason than to understand how something so strange can turn out so well.
Violet Moll
Jun 12, 2011 Violet Moll rated it it was amazing
This book is just amazing with the photos being dogs made from fruits and vegetables. They are absolutely amazing and creative. The author illustrates dog cliches with these cool food-art pieces. Too fun! It doesn't hold Vi's attention at this point but she will grow into appreciating the cleverness that fills this chilldrens' story.
Jacqueline
Jul 15, 2015 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Completely adorable pictures of dogs created out of fruits and vegetables. These dogs have very convincing expressions, especially the "sad dog", which is kind of amazing when you remember they're carved out of things like bananas.
Eric
Aug 27, 2013 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Totally hilarious how the author makes dogs out of all kinds of fruits and veggies. Mot sure if Ella get's the "dog" references, but we have fun guessing what the dogs are made of. Extremely clever.
kelly
May 16, 2008 kelly rated it liked it
My three-year old really got a kick out of this book. She asked me over and over what each dog was made out of, as she carried it through the house looking at the pictures
Books Ring Mah Bell
Oct 30, 2008 Books Ring Mah Bell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidsbooks
Just read this to Sam at the library. He thought it was hysterical. All the pictures are of dogs made out of food. Clever. Cute. Maybe this will get him to eat more veggies? Nah.
Becky
Oct 24, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing
Everyone of any age needs to check these books out from their library just to see the pictures. He makes animals out of fruits and vegetables, and they are so funny!
Alicia
Jun 18, 2009 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
What a punny book. Nakyla loves looking at the dogs made of food. This book reminds me of a friend from high school and I think about him every time we read this.
Karyn
Jul 07, 2009 Karyn rated it really liked it
My son loves this book! It is very clever how many different fruits and veggies make cute little dogs! Unfortunately, we have to return it to the library today!
Sara Jones
Feb 27, 2010 Sara Jones rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I really love this book. I'm pretty sure if you put it all together, Sproston and I have spent a full 24 hours reading, discussing, and caressing its pages.
Jess
May 30, 2016 Jess rated it really liked it
this was huge hit with all the 7 and 8-year-olds i read it too... while i found it creative, i didn't find it nearly as hysterically funny as they did.
Jonna
Mar 25, 2009 Jonna rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Built on puns and plays on words, the pictures are great, but the kids don't get it. There are double meanings to everything and they have no idea.
Olivia
Mar 24, 2011 Olivia rated it it was amazing
It is one of the cutest children's books I have ever read! I love this book! If you love dogs you will definitely enjoy this book!
Kendall
May 13, 2011 Kendall rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids
A classic kid's book that I read over every now and then to give me a laugh or confuzzle me with how well-made the "fruit animals" are.
Val
Mar 02, 2009 Val rated it it was ok
The book is okay...the pictures are definitely the best part. Not a great "read aloud" book -- it doesn't really have a story.
Dayna
Jun 06, 2008 Dayna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
My little one cracks up at every page of this book. All the dogs are made of food...hard not to love the broccoli poodle!
Michael Jorgensen
Dec 08, 2010 Michael Jorgensen rated it it was ok
I thought this book was a clever way to teach kids to play with food. Cute, but not really my thing.
Shannon
Apr 23, 2010 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I think I enjoyed this more than my 2 year old. I loved the pics it is so creative!
Tiggy M.
May 12, 2009 Tiggy M. rated it it was ok
My dad really liked it. But I just felt it was OK, I think I will ike it more later.
Bennett
Fun to look at and extremely creative!

Full review coming soon...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
  • Fabian Escapes
  • Humpty Dumpty Climbs Again
  • Whatever
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Dogs?
  • Move Over, Rover!