Death's Little Helpers (John March, #2)

Death's Little Helpers (John March #2)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In this masterful follow-up to Peter Spiegelman’s stunning debut Black Maps, private investigator John March finds himself drawn into a web of corruption that extends from the halls of high finance to the dark underworld of organized crime.

Gregory Danes,a Wall Street analyst has gone missing, and his ex-wife, a fashionable painter, calls March to track him down. She just...more
Published July 19th 2005 by Knopf (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Death's Little Helpers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death's Little Helpers

Ashland Mystery Oregon
Discovered Spiegelman with Black Maps and now I want to read all of his works! Great premise, a private investigator who specializes in finance - his family doesn't understand why he doesn't take his rightful place in NY's financial aristocracy. John March is thoughtful, private and reclusive - he's controlled and protects himself from involvement with the family and with others. Then he meets Jane Lu, a corporate turnaround specialist who methodically kicks her bag, driving John crazy in the ap...more
Zach
Pretty good. The author has a good, witty first person narration that keeps the story interesting through the main character's descriptions, especially of people with whom he interacts. The plot and the climax of the story are intersting and provide a somewhat original ending for a typical story line.

The books does suffer at times from feeling overly long. It seems like a good story could have been almost great, if the editor had cut more and allowed the story to move more quickly and at a more...more
Greg Bascom
John March has a trust fund from Klein & Sons, the financial institution in New York City that is owned and managed by his uncles and siblings. John is the family disappointment. Instead of being a banker, he went upstate to be a deputy sheriff for several years and then returned to the city to be a one-man PI agency.

John's only client in this story is Nina Sachs, who lives in a NYC loft with her twelve year old son ann Ines, her lesbian partner of Spanish origin. Ines owns three art galleri...more
LJ
DEATH'S LITTLE HELPERS – (Private Investigator-NYC-Cont) – Ok
Spiegelman, Peter – 2nd in series
Knopf, 2005- Hardcover
PI John Marsh has been hired to find Gregory Danes, the ex-husband of artist Nina Sachs. Gregory had been one of Wall Street's hottest analysts, but his reputation and career plummeted, he left his office saying he was taking a vacation, but now his alimony and child support checks have stopped and no one has heard from him.
*** Spiegelman's first book "Black Maps," was one I very...more
Michael
I read this and the first book back-to-back. They're both wonderful.

Short version: It's Michael Lewis meets Michael Connelly.

Long version: So much to like here, especially if you're interested at all in Wall Street. The plots are very topical; this one is about a fallen stock analyst and the relationship between the analysts and traders in a bank.

Spiegelman has more than just the finance gimmick going for him. March is a wonderful character, reminiscent of the early Harry Bosch novels, but wi...more
Matthew
Not as good as Black Maps, which is one of my all-time favorites, but still an okay read.
It was only after I'd begun reading it that I saw the blurb from Ken Bruen on the back, which should have given me a clue as to the writing style in this one. If Ken Bruen likes it, with his long, tedious navel-gazing protagonists, the same might have slipped in here.
The narrator, John March, gets a little more overly descriptive in this book, and seems... duller, somehow, in this book than the first one. Du...more
Ed
#2 in the John March series. John March is rugged individualist who has turned his back on the family money and business and as a result is often misunderstood and underestimated. Detection process seems better realized than most.

John March has been hired to find missing Wall Street analyst Gregory Danes. Danes's star went into steep decline along with the stock market: now he's best known for his volatile temper and his obsession with restoring his reputation. His ex-wife wants to know why the...more
William
I stuggled with the ratingg and I imagine that many readers would give this book 4 instead of three stars. It is a literary caper. All you ever wanted to know about the shenanigans now being displayed on the front pages of the Wall Street debacle are contained in the book. While this is a strength it is also its weakness. I like a little more action and less minuate in my mysteries. While describing some arcane finacial transaction, ( the writer spent years as a stockbroker berfore becoming a no...more
Fred Seibert
I was short some plane reading when I saw one of the Red Cat cover in a suburban bookstore. Sixty seconds later these were on my Kindle (a post on the destruction of the bookstore business model is brewing in my noggin somewhere) and I dispatched all three of them almost as quickly. He's a good enough writer, and I liked all the characters enough while I was reading them (and I'll probably read any sequels, if there are any), but, I'm having a hard time remembering all that much about them.
Ali
A very good follow-up to "Black Maps." I enjoyed this one a bit more -- the plot wasn't as tied in to the world of finance (although it did involve it), and Spiegelman's writing has gotten smoother (the descriptive passages aren't as clunky and unintegrated).

The ending was surprising, but not totally out of nowhere, and the dramatic tension was perfect -- I stayed up until 1am finishing the book.
Pamela
OK. His habit of describing EVERYTHING that EVERYONE is wearing is starting to get on my nerves. Also, (view spoiler) Will give the third one a try...maybe this was just sophomore hijinks.
Craig
I was very happy with Black Maps and looking forward to reading this. It started well, but I was getting a little bored about half way through the story. Thankfully the pace picked up right after this feeling set in, and the conclusion was done very well. I look forward to reading more by Spiegelman about John March.
Susan
Another new (to me) author with multiple books out already! My favorite kind of find. John March is a private detective of private means who detects because he wants the answer - even when his client fires him. This was a snappy story with interesting characters.
Mequell
I love mysteries and this sounded interesting. I didn't get very far. The language was awful and when I got to the body description part about his girlfriend, I had to retire the book. I already know what a female body looks like, thank you.
John Sheridan
An excellent missing person investigation that offers a few potential avenues to keep you guessing as to what happened. Likeable characters and an enjoyable series.
Jessica
Fast-paced and well plotted, with a protagonist who's a nice blend of savvy and foolhardy and a dash of noir sensibility.
Doug Haskin
The second installment of the "John March" series is every bit as skillful and absorbing as the first book was.
james
This is an adventure/crime novel with a background of Wall Street shennanigans. Quite timely in Autumn 2008.
Emily
A lot less wasted time on unnecessary banking explanations. Story was interesting and kept you guessing.
William Hochmuth
Like the March character. Kinda like Spenser. Good story but pretty much saw the conclusion.
Corrie
I liked Red Cat better but this was a good introduction to Mr. March.
Mark
Basic who done it with a moderate twist at the end.
Jim
May 21, 2013 Jim added it
Good read. I liked he wove the plot line. Surprise ending.
Mary Lou
Wonderful follow up to the original volume.
Tim
Reviewed for PW
Kerilyn
Kerilyn marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Larry
Larry added it
Aug 13, 2014
Rob Bekkers
Rob Bekkers marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Molly Ronan
Molly Ronan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Peter Spiegelman is a twenty-year veteran of the financial services and software industries. He retired in 2001 to devote himself to writing. He lives in Connecticut.
More about Peter Spiegelman...
Thick as Thieves Red Cat (John March, #3) Black Maps (John March, #1) Wall Street Noir Watchlist: A Serial Thriller