Start by marking “Memory in Death (In Death, #22)” as Want to Read:
Memory in Death (In Death, #22)

Memory in Death (In Death #22)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  17,637 ratings  ·  408 reviews
Eve Dallas is one tough cop. It should take more than a seemingly ordinary middle-aged lady to make her fall apart. But when that lady is Trudy Lombard, all bets are off. Just seeing Trudy at the station plunges Eve back to the days when she was a vulnerable, traumatized young girl—and trapped in foster care with the twisted woman who now sits smiling in front of her.

Trudy
Mass Market Paperback, 375 pages
Published June 27th 2006 by Berkley (first published January 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Memory in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memory in Death

Water for Elephants by Sara GruenNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsThe Road by Cormac McCarthyEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Best Books of 2006
133rd out of 528 books — 605 voters
Zombie Raccoons & Killer Bunnies by Martin H. GreenbergGoddess of the Sea by P.C. CastReturn to Paradise by Simone ElkelesMoonlight Falls by Vincent ZandriBack in Black by Lori Foster
WORST Book Cover Art
108th out of 209 books — 168 voters

More lists with this book...

Dianna
Oh, that Eve Dallas. If you've gotten to this (book 24!) in the Eve Dallas series, you don't need my review. You're reading it anyway. Good luck. It's pretty much the same as the rest. Can I finish this series already so I can get back to reading REAL books?

I know Rolf says I shouldn't be ashamed of what I read. I'm not particularly ashamed of reading this series, but of having been sucked in.

I feel a bit like Guy Montag's wife. Roarke and Mavis and Peabody have all become my family. I've start
Maria
This book has several pluses. Only one dead person and that person deserves it. No blood and gore and random violence. We learn more about Eve's early life, this time about her life in a foster home. It also brings out some of the uglier side of Eve when she and Roarke have a fight. And some of her better side as she really thinks about the people she has come to love and depend on and picks out gifts that they will love. There are many great scenes. Dennis Mira putting his arm around Eve and Ev ...more
Venus Blancia
There are several reasons why this 22nd book in the series is very positively frustrating.
1. Roarke and Eve relationship came very established thus far.
2. Roarke, a bilionaire, enigmatic and handsome is an understatement, is still willingly giving up whatever multi-million dollar business deal just to see and comfort Eve of her nightmares.
3. Friends of the Roarke and Eve enjoy big deal of Christmas gifts.
4. Eve does not care how rich her husband is, does not go shopping, and does not ask spend a
Ren
Re-read Oct, 23rd 2011

Well, duh! You can't get wrong with this series! ;P.
Even I know some people said the case and the pattern of the story are recycled over and over, you will find a bits of information here. BTW, Memory in Death is unique. While another books in this series have multiple victims, Memory in Death just have one victim (2 actually, but the other just got hurt not killed). Even I can guess who's the culprit from the beginning, its doesn't make my enjoyable to read less.

Avid reade
Jenny Delandro
even though there is a formula at work here I still want to read and soak up all the moments one by one

to say that I want my own Roarke is an understatement!
There is just no way that couple can articulate their frustration and anger and resolve everything so neatly... I want that too. Normal people hold on to hurt too long.

Everyone should have their kind of marriage

I love reading about it.... I love that although she does not like shopping, but she will search for the exact present that will be
Lou Douglas
This book is one of my favorites in the series. There is some back story filled in on Eve's childhood, which is great. Eve is standing for a victim she really hated. I love that it doesn't make her any less determined to find the killer. Of course, in this case, there really weren't a lot of suspects, but figuring out the killer, the plan, the way it all played out was interesting, particularly as Trudy's character (or lack thereof) was revealed in Eve's memories and the experiences of the other ...more
Penni
I enjoyed a lot of aspects of this installment of In Death. Having it hit home so hard for Eve was at first very difficult. But as usual, and with Roarkes' help, she got on top of it. It was good I think overall for her in the end - she had to face and deal with many aspects of her past and of her nature.

Because the murder was not particularly harrying from a time and danger aspect, as the focus was on the emotional aspects, it wasn't as "I can't put this down for a second" as it normally is.

Th
Bigd_041555
One of my favourite books in the series. We get a very good glimpse of Eve's horrible childhood after she was named and placed with the first of the foster homes - a terrible experience for her. We can't help side with her when she rants at Roarke about everything he touches turns to gold and everything she touches just fails I guess is the best word. But we also side with her when she apologizes profusely to Roarke.

Two thumbs up and 5 stars - on to Born in Death - I've decided not to re-read th
Reen
This was not one of my favourites mostly due to the fact that I hated both Zana and Trudy. Trudy was one of Eve's foster mothers and a true "wicked step mother" and you get a glimpse of what Eve went through in those early years. Zana is one of those TSTL characters and I knew early on who the killer would be. Bobby is just a hapless dupe who allowed his mother to run his life but you still feel sorry for him and all he went through at the end. I guess it a sign of a great writer that you can di ...more
Yuli Pritania
Jadi saya mulai histeris sejak membaca adegan Roarke mengancam Trudy. Seksi abis, bikin gerah, aww... ini bakal jadi cinta sejati saya seumur hidup. Mr. Roarke. Karakter fiktif pria paling sempurna dan paling susah bikin move on buat saya.

Novel ini lebih kental unsur psikologinya, baik dari Eve, korban, maupun penjahatnya. Lebih banyak adegan ringan yang super manis. Saya terutama paling suka adegan Eve nangis di pundak Mr. Mira. Hubungannya ama Roarke juga makin mendalam, terutama karena mereka
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
OK... well, I admit, I heard the first chapter or two as a free preview at the end of Origin in Death... and fuck me gently with a chainsaw if that wasn't a hook of a first few chapters that made me full stop and go spend yet another of my precious audible credits to keep the story going...

It was nice to see Dallas loose it a bit. I know that's a little mean, she has mini-meltdowns often in the form of nightmares anyway... but this was a surprise attack and it was interesting to see how it all w
Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer
My favorite part about this book was when Roarke & Eve spent Christmas Eve and Day together. I was so pleased they got to finally take a little time for themselves.

The crime for me in this one honestly wasn't that interesting except for how it brought more of the picture of Eve's past into focus. I figured out who did it and pretty much the connection by around chapter 10, so the rest of the story-line was pretty much filler. But what I really enjoyed yet again was Eve's interactions with th
Thenia
An unwelcome surprise arrival of somebody from Eve's past forces her to take a trip down memory lane and remember things she'd rather not.

Thankfully, Eve has a more or less perfect husband in Roarke, who offsets the ugliness her past has brought back into her life. It's the second Christmas the two spend together and they have become closer than ever.

I'm really enjoying Eve's adventures, her world and the people surrounding her.

Next in the series comes Haunted in Death, a short story where Eve's
Gisele
“Friends give you a cushion for the fall, even when you think you don’t need or want one.”

Con Memoria ante la muerte regresamos al pasado de Eve, ahora siendo victima de chantaje por parte de Trudy Lombard, la antigua encargada de su hogar de acogida tras el incidente en Dallas cuando era pequeña. El libro nos brinda la misma esencia de los anteriores pero tiene una falta de dinamica entre asesinato-asesino que te hace arrancarte de los pelos pero te compensa la lectura con muchos vistazos a la
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Lieutenant Eve Dallas of NYPSD is thrown back into the past by a visit from her foster mother Trudy Lombard. Eve is thrown down memory lane that leads to nightmares and memories best forgotten. Roarke discovers Eve in the shower trying to get warm with little success. He hates how the power of the past takes hold of Eve. When Trudy Lombard is found dead in her hotel room, it's up to Eve to discover the killer by diving into the past. Meanwhile it's the Christmas season which means that Eve must ...more
Warning! This review contains minor spoilers for earlier books in the In Death series.

Fans of the In Death series are already aware that Lieutenant Eve Dallas dealt with some tough stuff in her childhood. Memory in Death deals with Eve's past, but takes a different approach by focusing on what happened to her after being discovered in a hotel room at eight years old. While it was not my favorite of the series by far, I found this one to be enjoyable and a great example of how good JD Robb is at
Discoverylover
Wow...another superb one from Robb, and I think I'm gonna add the rest of the series to my wishlist! A really good crime novel...still love the characters and the writing style!

I recently read 'Survivor in Death' and loved it, so when this surfaced at our monthly meetup I grabbed it, despite the fact that I'm not supposed to be taking books....

(From Amazon) "Eve Dallas is one tough cop. She can take on purse snatchers, drug dealers, and worse. But when Trudy Lombard - a seemingly ordinary middle
Filipa
Memory in Death is the 22nd book in In Death series by J.D.Robb.
After all those books it was natural to see a slight change of rhythm. This book is a great example of that.
This is been a great series so far but it is normal to start to loose the excitement. I have to say, in defence of the author of which I'm a great fan, until this book I've never felt any change in my enthusiasm for the books in this series.
But this Memory in Death was different in every aspect.
It started out okay, with cert
Tina
This is the 22nd book in the In Death series.

Christmas is just around the corner and soon Eve and her friends will be saying goodbye to the year 2059. Walking into her office after closing a case of "death by stupidity" Eve spies a woman sitting at her desk. Asking the woman her name, she gives Eve a bewildered look and says "Why honey, don't you know me, I'm your mama."

The woman is Trudy Lombard one of Eve's foster parents a vicious woman then and a vicious blackmailer now. Kicking her out of t
Jonetta
Eve Dallas walks into her office and immediately is confronted with her past. There sits Trudy Lombard, one of her foster parents during her time in Dallas, a woman who'd best be described as "Mommie Dearest." Unprepared, Eve handles the situation poorly and has a physical reaction that levels her. When Roarke discovers what has happened, he smartly realizes it won't be long before Trudy will visit him for a shakedown. This book is worth the read if solely to read that scene!

That's all I'll shar
mlady_rebecca
One of Eve's former foster mothers comes to New York to try to blackmail money out of Roarke. Her appearance initially shakes Eve so much that she leaves work in the middle of a case, dumping everything on Peabody. (Granted, it's a straightforward case and Peabody was already taking the lead.)

Having no luck with Eve, Trudy confronts Roarke directly. Roarke scares the shit out of her with the threat of what he'll do if she doesn't walk away. A few days later, after a pause for a fancy Christmas p
Aly is so frigging bored
Quotes:
“Personalized game, and what you do is start out at the bottom. Pretty much wits only. Then you can earn money, arms, land. Build stuff, fight wars. You can pull in other people—we're all in there. And take on famous foes and stuff. You can cheat, steal, barter, and bloody. But there are a lot of traps, so you can end up broke, destitute, in a cage or tortured by your enemies. Or you can end up ruling the known universe. The graphics are very chilly.”
“You're in here?”
“Yeah.”
“How can I lo
Magpie67
Funny, awesome, and very witty at times. Another look into Eve's world as she grew up and not so wonderful. Eve's past has made the woman she is and when a bit of the past comes looking for her, she needs to re-evalute her soul. Before she can do her own kicking, the past (her foster mother) is murdered. Checking into this mess leads to multiple other suspects, woman that were torture during their stay with Trudy. Eve seeks justice for the dead woman because its her job. Another title that lead ...more
Sue
Sorry J.D., this book had some great moments and I always love it when Eve is forced to do normal i.e. Xmas Holidays. But I spotted the killer about a third of the way through and that was disappointing. Not one of the best, but Susan Ericksen again delivered on the voicing. I'm so spoiled by her, I won't even READ the books.
Sam
I love this series SO much! I always know I'm going to enjoy them. This one wasn't any different. The only small complaint I have is that the murder case wasn't all that difficult to figure out and I felt like there was a lot of 'filler' to make up the story.

I find myself wanting to continue straight onto the next one once I've finished but I don't want to go through them too quickly, I like having them as a treat book.

It was the perfect one to read because this one was set during Christmas tim
Vfields is fighting to be Happy!
Good Stuff When I need a little change from my regular reading material I grab some JD Robb. It just stays wonderful! ...more
Kjen
'Tis the Season for a Christmas centric In Death! Love so many things about this. Eve's reaction to seeing Trudy...so emotional!...Roarke taking care of Eve afterward...so sweet!...the "my family sucks more than yours" fight...angsty!...and Scary Roarke vs. Trudy...sexy! Anyway, I could go on and on. The ending was so excellent with Eve drawing comparisons between herself and Marnie. She is hard on herself for killing her father, but she could see the difference between what she did and what Mar ...more
Visnja.Max
Katy M
Some background on Eve. Excellent.

I never put spoilers in my reviews.
J D Robb (Nora Roberts) is one of the few authors I reread. Everything about the "in death" novels is quality writing and defies genre labeling.
From the relationship between Dallas and Rourke, the mystery/thriller storyline, an extremely strong female role model, the secondary characters, the setting, well, everything, you just can't wait for the next one. Robb shows that a woman can be strong and capable despite soul crippling
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Memory In Death (Nov. 2014) Spoiler Zone 56 19 Dec 09, 2014 05:47AM
J.D. Robb : Memory In Death (Spoiler Zone) 27 75 Apr 27, 2014 04:36AM
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Carnal Innocence
  • Hades
  • Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)
  • Afterimage (In the company of shadows, #2)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

“You have heard the expression 'love is blind'"

"I think it's bullshit. Lust dazzles, sure, at least for the short term. But love clears the vision. You see better, sharper, because you feel more that you did before”
49 likes
“Far be in from me to dictate how you should assuage your guilt. Do you have a lot of it?"

She bit his good shoulder. "You're about to find out."

She toppled them both off the bench and onto the mat. "Well, ouch. I take it guilt doesn't bring out your gentler side.”
11 likes