Start by marking “Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)” as Want to Read:
Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)

Immortal in Death (In Death #3)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  32,065 Ratings  ·  1,169 Reviews
When Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas investigates the murder of a top model, she is putting her career on the line, because the prime suspect is her best friend. Eve's investigations lead her into the glamorous world of high fashion.
Published September 25th 2003 by Piatkus (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Immortal in Death, please sign up.

Lisa Fakes While each book's story is stand alone the characters and their individual stories do develop over time so I think it is better to read them in order…moreWhile each book's story is stand alone the characters and their individual stories do develop over time so I think it is better to read them in order but it is not strictly necessary. Hope that helps.(less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Host by Stephenie MeyerCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica Roth
Best Sci-Fi/Futuristic Romance
33rd out of 1,115 books — 1,193 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
440th out of 5,426 books — 12,227 voters

More lists with this book...

Narrator: Susan Ericksen

I'm now 150% sure - I do not like Mavis. I found her annoying back in the 90s when I was first introduced to the In Death books, I found her just as irritating when I reread the first three book plus another 6 more in 2008 and now, in 2014 I'm wishing she'd be the next victim!

It's not that Mavis is bad or bad for Eve. It's just her personality. I feel as if Robb exaggerated her character quirks just to be a foil to the tacitur
Jan 08, 2015 Shawna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic suspense, tough heroines, & devoted, dangerous, deliciously sexy alpha heroes
Recommended to Shawna by: Mom & several GR friends
Aug 28, 2009 Corrine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few quick observations:

-Eve's attitude can get really old really fast.

-If Roarke doesn't want to be frustrated by Eve's lack of confidence in their emotional intimacy, he shouldn't push her to do things she doesn't want to do (like, oh, say marriage).

-JD Robb should have Stretched out Roarke & Eve's relationship further before marriage, IMO. I have a feeling most of the romantic tension in future books will be the same old stuff we've seen already.

-And yet I still want to keep reading this
I've noticed a formula for the In Death books and noticing this formula has dimmed my enjoyment.

1. Eve gets a murder case
2. Mavis does something cute and funny to cheer her up
3. Another person dies and adds the the case
4. Roarke does something romantic. This may or may not follow Summerset sassing Eve.
5. One more corpse, just for good measure.
6. Roarke does something illegal to help Eve, with a charming grin of course.
7. Everything's coming together now. This is totally the bad guy.
8. Hmmm, some
*sigh* I found out Eve’s answer. How awesome for them both. I’m glad Robb skipped ahead in time again and took us closer to the big day. I loved watching Eve and Roarke’s nerves. Of course, neither of them was worried for the same reasons. Eve worried about making it work long term and Roarke worried about Eve going through with it. LOL.

Eve’s team is expanded beyond the usual people—namely, Feeney. Eve pulls in Peabody, a cop she took a shine to in the last book, and finds herself stuck having t
Another winner from the In Death Series, I'm going to be sad when I finish these. In this one Eve Dallas, NYPSD officer in the year 2058, takes officer Peabody- a young officer we meet in the last book-under her wing, tries to clear her best friend of murder while balancing the fact that her repressed childhood memories are coming back to her and oh yeah, she's getting married.

I really like Officer Peabody. And I'm not really a fan of Mavis. I think the mystery was good. Again I figured the "wh
Yet another great installment in the In Death series by J.D. Robb, Immortal in Death is the third book featuring Lieutenant Eve Dallas, Roarke, and the members of the NYPSD. While all the books in this series focus on murder, there was a twist to this one, bringing it close to home when Eve's best friend Mavis is implicated as the murderer. I thought that this was a pleasant change because, really, it would have been really obnoxious if Roarke was one of the suspects again. There are only so man ...more
Another winner for me, mostly because of the relationships and interaction between characters. I was lovely to see more of Mavis, get to know Peabody...And see yet another step in the Eve/Roarke relationship evolution.

Well-written, nicely paced, good mystery plot (I wonder how many motives can an author invent to carry on a series)—loved the drug angle and description...
The only hurdle for me was that yet again I spotted the killer early on. Again, probably because I took an immediate dislike to
Duchess Nicole
This series is addicting. It's the genius of this author and the reason she's one of the most read authors out there.

In Immortal in Death, Eve is once again faced with a killer. These murders are somehow related to a new drug that somehow not only makes the user feel really, really good, but also makes them appear younger, more glowing. While it makes them feel immortal, it also is a fast killer. First, a well known fashion model is killed...and the prime suspect is Eve's best friend.

So now Ev

Eve is getting married, Mavis is in love, Peabody made a joke and a top model is DEAD.

Ok, first things first. I freakin’ love Peabody.

“And Peabody, we've been naked together. Drop all the 'sirs,' will you? Make it Dallas."

"Yes, sir, Lieutenant."

Okie, now to the mystery. I for one think it was great. Really nice executed, kept me guessing who dunnit, most of my suspicions were wrong. Ok, it did cross my mind that it could have been that person and there was a clue that came pretty much out of no
Tilly Slaton
Nov 14, 2011 Tilly Slaton rated it really liked it

Mavis gets into a heap of trouble in this book. In love with a soon to be totally rockin’ awesome designer, Mavis is head to toe gag worthy mushy with her new man. Caught covered in blood, fingerprints on the weapon and a whopper of a motive, she’s screwed. Eve becomes primary and as always, becomes obsessed and mostly blind to the rest of the world as it whizzes by. Time is against her (how poetic sniff) as she tries to locate the murder suspect or suspects so that the charges against Mavis wil
 Anna (Wicked Book Blog)

As always I'm totally, irrevocably committed to this series.
Its magic keeps me reading all the time... and rereading once again in a while ;D

I know, I know, I'm not alone in this unexplainable fixation with The World According to Roarke...

It's to explain the phenomenon of give or take 40 books long series?

It has been around for awhile and it still can be so futuristic you can't even embrace it.

This series can give reluctant readers a real kick-start
Mar 01, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
This is my second reading but my first reviewing of this totally enjoyable book! I believe this was originally intended to be the last book in a trilogy and it certainly seems like that. So much happens in its 345 pages and it does round off very neatly with all ends tied up. There is a lot of personal drama for Eve and a lot of work action in the form of homicides. Luckily for us all J.D. Robb decided to develop the series further and we all know how far it has gone. May it go on for much longe ...more
Aure   `Reading With The Dark`
Feb 14, 2013 Aure `Reading With The Dark` rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-d-robb

5 Stars!

OMG this was soo good!!! Nora is really good at what she's doing! God created her to write and that shows in her work!
I swallowed this book in one day, all the way with all my mom duties and I'm as happy as a satisfied reader could get! :))

And by the way.. I totally knew it was that person who did all the crimes! I knew it, I could smell it!
God I'm so smart :DDDD LOL

I need just a little bit more data on books like this one and I'm definitely writing my own!
Damn it , I'd be one helluva g
Dec 13, 2012 Mo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sigh ... Oh Roarke, you are one in a million. Would have liked to have been at the wedding though. Off to start the next one - wonder will I get tired of it after about Book 12 or so.
In Death by J.D. Robb

Mini Review:
Three books down, thirty something to go! Wow...anyways, I liked this book a lot, not as much as the others, but probably because I read it on my phone. I don't know I prefer my computer or kindle if not an actual physical book in my hands. Anyways, I was able to find out who the bad guy was early on but I loved the plot line anyways cause it was so intense. And there's Eve and Roarke of course. Getting...married! I died when I read all of their scenes together, especially the ones
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Another awesome book in this series...will write review tomorrow.

Update: March 3, 2016 - Well obviously, I didn't make it back to write that review. I have just finished this one yet again, but this time on audio. Loved it even more!
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
I have to admit, I ended up grabbing this one from Audible as soon as I finished Glory in Death (luckily I still had a credit or two so no money needed to change hands.) I've gone from 0 to 60 (an addicted) in no time flat!

I love that we see more Mavis in this book, she is a really fun character! And Peabody! Although, I will admit I'm not 100% happy with the Peabody voice... but other than that I am adoring the narrator. I don't think I could 'read' this series at this point, now that I've been
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Beauty and Youth are Desperate Matters for Some . . .

Immortal In Death is the third book in J.D. Robb’s In Death series. Even though this story takes place in 2058, it’s one that even today we read about in any newspaper on any given day, or watch on prime time news: Drugs. They make you feel good. Make you feel young. Make you think you’re immortal.

Cover Blurb...
She was one of the most sought after women in the world. A top model who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted - even anoth
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Read March 2014
Out of the three In Death series, this one is the best. I'm sure I'll say that about another but I did say out of the three. Eve is characterized as a human being. Hey even a bad ass has feeling and care for others but hasn't she always? When her memories starts to come more and more it made me sad for her but it also showed you that because of what happened made her the strong person that she is now and what makes her care so much about getting justice for those who can't get it
Jan 02, 2016 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Figured out the identity of the murderer pretty early, but still had fun with this one. The memories resurfacing of what happened to Eve were heartbreaking and brutal. Roarke is so amazing with the emotional support he gives Eve! He understands her so well. I love that they work things out without drama and angst! I've fallen hard for Roarke!

Same narrator as the last two books, Susan Eriksen, and she's wonderful.
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 Addicted Stars

I just knew it was him! That's all...

Burcu Büyükyıldız
Oct 22, 2015 Burcu Büyükyıldız rated it it was amazing
Roarkeeeee! özlemişim seni cağnım...
Sahte gizemli adamlardan, kendilerine birkaç beden büyük bad boy giysisini giymeye çalışan karakterlerden gına gelmişti artık.
Birisi Alfa Male mi dedi? Sözlükteki karşılıklarından biri de şüphesiz Roarke! <3

PS: Bu seriyi tamamlayabilmek için kırk takla attım. (malum, yayın evi basmıyor artık ilk kitapları) Muhteşem olması bir yana, epey de çaba harcadığım için Roarke canım ciğerimdir.
Apr 19, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, romance, futuristic
I really enjoyed this third book in the In Death series.

Police lieutenant, Eve Dallas is getting married to the handsome, sexy Roarke but is distracted by her latest cases involving the seemingly unrelated murders of an informant and a high fashion model. Set in 2058, where wealthy people are prepared to spend serious money on treatments and drugs to look and feel young and attractive. Despite her lack of interest in her personal appearance Eve is thrust into this world of fashion, both in her d
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Roarke... I just can't get enough of you darling. As always you were amazing. xoxo :)

“He loves me."
"You sound surprised."
"Nobody ever did. Not like this. It's easy to say, for some people. The words. But it's not just words with Roarke. He sees inside me, and it doesn't matter.”

"Immortal in Death" is the third book in J.D. Robb’s In Death series. After reading this one, I’m thinking about skipping a few books ahead to read some of the later ones in the series. These first few books are OK, but I’m not enjoying them as much as I did the later book I read.

In this one, Eve Dallas is faced with a case that hits too close to home. Her best friend, Mavis, is the prime suspect in the brutal murder of a super model. All the evidence points to Mavis being the killer, but Dallas
Immortal in Death
4 Stars

In the days leading up to her wedding to Roarke, Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas has her hands full with flower arrangements and wardrobe fittings. The best laid plans are interrupted, however, when Eve’s best friend, Mavis, is accused of the murder of her current boyfriend’s ex-lover, and Eve is determined to do whatever it takes to prove her innocence.

While the writing is certainly formulaic and the mysteries predictable, there is, nevertheless, something very appealing
I solemnly swear that I will find a book in this series that I like as much as the others do.
Jul 01, 2016 Jilly rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance
In the future, people will kill each other over drugs! Weird, huh?
Also in the future, women in authority will be called "sir" as a sign that they are now equal to men. I've read this in a couple of different books now and I just have to wonder something. Why is a woman shown to be equal to a man by calling her a term of respect meant for a man? Is it because calling her "maam" would denote a lower position? The female equivalent to the same word is somehow less? My Feminist Senses are tingling.
Mary Beth
Sep 14, 2016 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing
I loved this!
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Fatal Deception (Fatal, #5)
  • Heart of Fire
  • Deadly Fear (Deadly, #1)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“Roarke: "Darling, before we shift into the official mode, what do you have on under that dress?"
Eve: "A device designed to drive men wild."
Roarke: "It's working. I don't believe I've ever seen your butt move quite that way."
Eve: "It's a cop's butt now, ace, so watch it."
Roarke: "I am." He smiled, gave it a nice solid smack. "Believe me.”
“Roarke's brow cocked as he noted Casto take in the black satin that slithered over Eve's body. In the manner of men or unfriendly male dogs, Roarke showed his teeth.” 61 likes