Start by marking “Zella, Zack and Zodiac” as Want to Read:
Zella, Zack and Zodiac

Zella, Zack and Zodiac

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Zella the zebra helps Zack the ostrich when he is young and helpless. When he grows up Zack returns the favor by saving Zella's young offspring from a lion.
Published October 30th 1989 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Zella, Zack and Zodiac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zella, Zack and Zodiac

Aug 13, 2010 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all animal loving children and adults
I absolutely love and adore the work of Bill Peet. His books are perfect in each and every way and with each book I read, I fall more and more in love with his stories. They're all beautifully illustrated and deliver gentle lessons using animals that are sure to win over even the most reluctant reader. Zella, Zack and Zodiac is definitely a new favourite!

Zella the zebra is passing by with her herd when she stumbles upon a lonely and scared baby ostrich who has been abandoned by his mother. She a
Lisa Vegan
Aug 25, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every young child; all Bill Peet fans
Recommended to Lisa by: Jo
This book is yet another winner from Bill Peet.

Every time I looked at an animal in the illustrations, I smiled. That’s the effect they had on me.

This is a lovely little story about parenthood, caretaking, dependence, independence, growing up, and love.
I rather enjoyed this little story from Bill Peet, as did my son, who has become one of my favorite children’s book writers this year. Zella the zebra discovers an abandoned ostrich chick and rescues him by letting him ride on her back. She adopts him and names him Zack. As he gets older and can no longer ride on her back, they become distant. Eventually she has her own child, an awkward colt named Zodiac who is always tripping over his own hooves, a real danger when predators are lurking all ar ...more
How fun to find a Bill Peet I hadn't read yet! This is a story about the love of mother to child and the good that can happen when you do a good turn. Classic Bill Peet with the awesome illustrations to match.
Jun 19, 2014 Tim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
A young ostrich is rescued by a mother zebra, and grows up to return the favor.
Very enjoyable rhyming story with Bill Peet's great expressive illustrations.
Sep 10, 2008 Umfaa added it
Bonolo and I discovered this delightful author by browsing the shelves at the library. He recognized the Zebra on the cover and wanted to know what the other words were that started with Z. His Z vocabulary consisted of Zebra and Zoo before this book. It is a fun read. The author has a list of books that all teach lessons.
Stephanie A.
I'm usually not as fond of his rhyming books, but I make an exception for this one. The Z-names roll off the tongue, and the fierce loyalty between mother and funny-looking adopted son gets me right in the heart every time. Plus, who can forget Zodiac, the colt with the disproportionately giant hooves?
Theme: friendship/helping one another/rhyming
Summary: A story about a zebra who helps an ostrich when he is young and helpless and when the ostrich gets older he returns the favor by saving the zebra's baby from a lion.

Zella the zebra helps Zack the ostrich when he is young and helpless and when he grows up Zack returns the favor by saving Zella's young offspring from a lion.
Bill Peet - This book is a great book to teach the about the golden rule. Everyone should look out for each other and help each other out.
A cute, inspiring story of an ostrich and a couple of zebras who became not only friends, but family - very touching.
Really would be nice to learn what happened to the big-footed colt
Not my most favorite Bill Peet book, but still a keeper.
Bill Peet is awesome.
Rachel added it
Oct 02, 2015
Gloria added it
Nov 18, 2015
Diana added it
Jul 14, 2015
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • The Sleepy Little Alphabet: A Bedtime Story from Alphabet Town
  • Jungle Drums
  • Pinduli
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

More about Bill Peet...