Start by marking “Laughter, the Best Medicine (Reader's Digest)” as Want to Read:
Laughter, the Best Medicine (Reader's Digest)

Laughter, the Best Medicine (Reader's Digest)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Laughter the Best Medicine is a collection of Reader's Digest magazine's funniest jokes, quotes, stories and captions.
Published October 27th 1997 by Reader's Digest (first published November 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Laughter, the Best Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laughter, the Best Medicine

Jerry
Mar 23, 2016 Jerry rated it it was ok
This book definitely had some humorous moments, but there were too many jokes that were crude, or I'd encountered before online, or that didn't make sense to me. Discerning readers--well, reader in general--can do much better.
Greg
Mar 30, 2013 Greg rated it really liked it
I remember laying on my belly on our living room floor with a copy of the Reader's Digest and looking first for my favorites..."Humor in Uniform," "Campus Comedy," "Life in these United States," and of course, my favorite, "Laughter, the Best Medicine." There were times when, in fact, it was the best medicine. Those old magazines transported me away from troubled times, at least for a few minutes. Even now, when I see a Reader's Digest in the dentist's office, a barbershop, or even in the librar ...more
Kristin
Reader's Digest has been a must-read every month (well, now every other month sometimes since they cut back on the number of issues per year) since I was old enough to understand the content. Their humor sections are my favorites, as they had me laughing long before the internet and its saturation of humor sites. Therefore, when I found this book at a book sale, I knew it was for me.
While the book is older than I am, that was more a good thing than a bad thing, because it meant all the jokes and
Barbara Brien
Jul 07, 2014 Barbara Brien rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, comedy
I had to read this, of course, once I saw it. So my mom loaned it to me, and I pushed through in a couple days. It was enjoyable, as easily the best part of any of the Reader's Digest magazines is the humor pages. Nothing actually made me laugh out loud, but I'm guessing I saw most of them in the past.
Stephen
Jul 02, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
This is an anthology of some of the best jokes and tall tales published in Readers Digest under Laughter is the Best Medicine. I laughed and laughed and finished the book within less than a day.
David Ward
Sep 02, 2014 David Ward rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
Laughter the Best Medicine by the Reader's Digest Association (Reader's Digest 2012) (550) is a king-sized collection of truly corny jokes. My rating: 6/10, finished 3/10/14.
Judy Jablonski
Feb 01, 2015 Judy Jablonski rated it really liked it
I really liked the continuation of this series. I also like seeing characters fro the past books show up with a little more of their stories being developed.
Colleen Lecomte
Dec 23, 2015 Colleen Lecomte rated it liked it
Cameron
Mar 13, 2014 Cameron rated it really liked it
A funny book full of comedy, this was a great book to read.
Aug 13, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yes-i-own
very humerous
gramakri
Apr 13, 2013 gramakri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeing the lighter side of things and laughing away your troubles is the one of the crucial ingredients to a happy life. Picking up this book when you are in dumps and randomly reading any page (of course you can read it cover-to-cover too) from it will drive your blues away. This is one of the best anthology of humorous pieces I have read in recent times.
More details about this book
@ http://bookwormsrecos.blogspot.in/201...
Newport Librarians
Cute jokes and one-liners from classic Reader's Digest issues. Generally would read a few before bed. Many are corny, but nobody is reading Reader's Digest for its edgy jokes. Feel good quick read for when you need just a small pick me up.
Hilary
Aug 20, 2012 Hilary rated it it was ok
I was really expecting some laugh-out-loud humor here, but unfortunately most of the jokes were just tacky and awkward. Some of them didn't even make any sense. It sadly did not fulfill my desire for ridiculous comedy, so I suppose that I will just have to find something else. I was planning on reading the sequel, Laughter Really Is the Best Medicine, but after reading the first one I don't think that that's going to happen.
Lee
Jan 28, 2015 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, humor
Quite a few good jokes.
Becky
Jan 01, 2012 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
I got this in a readers digest book set of 3. The humor isn't my type of humor as I'm into dry jokes. I didn't understand most of them. Some of them I did and thought were kinda funny...but yeah. I didn't laugh at the rest of it. Overall it's ok for an old book
Sep 14, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
Growing up, I enjoyed my family's annual Reader's Digest subscription from Grammy Miriam. I especially loved the columns, "Life the These United States" and "Laughter, the Best Medicine." This book was a nice, lighthearted change from my usual reading.
Tracy
Feb 14, 2015 Tracy rated it it was amazing
As a child, I used to read the jokes in Readers Digest. I progressed to reading the entire magazine. Then i progressed to disliking the magazine. The jokes, though. They still make me giggle and bring me back to being a ten-year old.
Jenny
Oct 21, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenny by: Ann
Shelves: humor
A collection of assorted jokes guaranteed to make you laugh. It can be read all the way through, but I managed to read it in bits & pieces over several days. Definitely helped me through a tough time!
Kurt
Aug 21, 2013 Kurt rated it really liked it
64. Laughter, the Best Medicine, by 215 pages. This is a fun collection that you will enjoy reading after you have read all the depressing stories I have already recommended in this blog. Trust me.
Vic
May 09, 2010 Vic rated it it was ok
What a joke...ha, ha.....
Most of the jokes were marginally humorous. A few of the jokes merit repetition. What did I expect. A fast easy read and some new material.
Donald
Oct 09, 2010 Donald rated it it was ok
Shelves: shorts, 2010
There were a few good laughs. But there were more groans to ferret through. It is broken out in categories with a table of contents which is nice.
Kim
Dec 25, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book, so funny that you laugh out loud while reading.
Dwayne Keller
Older book, published in 1981, and full more of short anecdotal stories than it is the humor in uniform like expected.
Kate
Apr 14, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: oh-so-amusing
Every once in awhile, I need something to giggle at, so I pick this little puppy up and find it does the trick.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Love the jokes and still love to read the jokes in the Reader's Digest magazines that I run into.
Elizabeth
Amusing, but many of the stories seem to be filler rather than well thought about when put in.
Christina
May 21, 2008 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This is a cute collection of funny stories and jokes. One of our favorites.
Izzy
Dec 21, 2011 Izzy rated it liked it
I sticky-noted every funny story/quote I read - which was a lot. :D
Aug 14, 2012 Sarah rated it did not like it
For a book titled "laughter" I don't remember laughing...
Chandni
Not funny. I don't think I laughed once.
  • Radical Reflections: Passionate Opinions on Teaching, Learning, and Living
  • Friendship Crisis
  • The Sibling Society
  • It's Not Funny if I Have to Explain It
  • Alias: The Pursuit: A Michael Vaughn Novel (Prequel Series #5)
  • Scoundrel Time
  • Nobody Don't Love Nobody: Lessons on Love from the School With No Name
  • Time Flies
  • The LDS Scriptures: Unabridged Complete King James Version Holy Bible /The Book of Mormon / Doctrine and Covenants / The Pearl of Great Price
  • The Reformation (The Story of Civilization, #6)
  • Cheating Death: The Doctors and Medical Miracles that Are Saving Lives Against All Odds
  • Ride a Purple Pelican
  • Trupp: A Fuzzhead Tale
  • First Year Teacher: Wit and Wisdom from Teachers Who'€™ve Been There
  • Multicultural Education in a Pluralistic Society
  • Karen's School Mystery (Baby-sitters Little Sister, #57)
  • You Find Him, I'll Fix Him
  • Second Garfield Treasury
The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. is a global media and direct marketing company based in Chappaqua, New York, best known for its flagship publication founded in 1922, Reader's Digest. The company's headquarters are in New York City, where it moved from Pleasantville, New York.

The company was founded by DeWitt and Lila Wallace in 1922 with the first publication of Reader's Digest magazine, but
More about Reader's Digest Association...