Laughter, the Best Medicine (Reader's Digest)

Laughter, the Best Medicine (Reader's Digest)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  21 reviews
More than 600 jokes, gags and laugh lines, Drawn from one of the most popular features of Reader's Digest magazine, this collection of jokes, one-liners, and other lighthearted glimpses of life is just what the doctor ordered.
Published October 27th 1997 by Readers Digest (first published November 1st 1981)

Greg
I remember laying on my belly on our living room floor with a copy of the Reader's Digest and looking first for my favorites..."Humor in Uniform," "Campus Comedy," "Life in these United States," and of course, my favorite, "Laughter, the Best Medicine." There were times when, in fact, it was the best medicine. Those old magazines transported me away from troubled times, at least for a few minutes. Even now, when I see a Reader's Digest in the dentist's office, a barbershop, or even in the librar...more
Kristin
Reader's Digest has been a must-read every month (well, now every other month sometimes since they cut back on the number of issues per year) since I was old enough to understand the content. Their humor sections are my favorites, as they had me laughing long before the internet and its saturation of humor sites. Therefore, when I found this book at a book sale, I knew it was for me.
While the book is older than I am, that was more a good thing than a bad thing, because it meant all the jokes and...more
Barbara Brien
I had to read this, of course, once I saw it. So my mom loaned it to me, and I pushed through in a couple days. It was enjoyable, as easily the best part of any of the Reader's Digest magazines is the humor pages. Nothing actually made me laugh out loud, but I'm guessing I saw most of them in the past.
Stephen
This is an anthology of some of the best jokes and tall tales published in Readers Digest under Laughter is the Best Medicine. I laughed and laughed and finished the book within less than a day.
Cameron
A funny book full of comedy, this was a great book to read.
Newport Librarians
Cute jokes and one-liners from classic Reader's Digest issues. Generally would read a few before bed. Many are corny, but nobody is reading Reader's Digest for its edgy jokes. Feel good quick read for when you need just a small pick me up.
Hilary
I was really expecting some laugh-out-loud humor here, but unfortunately most of the jokes were just tacky and awkward. Some of them didn't even make any sense. It sadly did not fulfill my desire for ridiculous comedy, so I suppose that I will just have to find something else. I was planning on reading the sequel, Laughter Really Is the Best Medicine, but after reading the first one I don't think that that's going to happen.
Becky
I got this in a readers digest book set of 3. The humor isn't my type of humor as I'm into dry jokes. I didn't understand most of them. Some of them I did and thought were kinda funny...but yeah. I didn't laugh at the rest of it. Overall it's ok for an old book
Growing up, I enjoyed my family's annual Reader's Digest subscription from Grammy Miriam. I especially loved the columns, "Life the These United States" and "Laughter, the Best Medicine." This book was a nice, lighthearted change from my usual reading.
Jenny
Oct 21, 2011 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jenny by: Ann
Shelves: humor
A collection of assorted jokes guaranteed to make you laugh. It can be read all the way through, but I managed to read it in bits & pieces over several days. Definitely helped me through a tough time!
Kurt
64. Laughter, the Best Medicine, by 215 pages. This is a fun collection that you will enjoy reading after you have read all the depressing stories I have already recommended in this blog. Trust me.
Vic
What a joke...ha, ha.....
Most of the jokes were marginally humorous. A few of the jokes merit repetition. What did I expect. A fast easy read and some new material.
Donald
There were a few good laughs. But there were more groans to ferret through. It is broken out in categories with a table of contents which is nice.
Kimberly
Love this book, so funny that you laugh out loud while reading.
Dwayne Keller
Older book, published in 1981, and full more of short anecdotal stories than it is the humor in uniform like expected.
Kate
Every once in awhile, I need something to giggle at, so I pick this little puppy up and find it does the trick.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Love the jokes and still love to read the jokes in the Reader's Digest magazines that I run into.
Christina
This is a cute collection of funny stories and jokes. One of our favorites.
Izzy
I sticky-noted every funny story/quote I read - which was a lot. :D
For a book titled "laughter" I don't remember laughing...
Kel
Dec 29, 2012 Kel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Great bathroom reading.
Jessa Hortezuela
Jessa Hortezuela marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Quenny Kim
Quenny Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Raya
Raya marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Debra
Debra added it
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. is a global media and direct marketing company based in Chappaqua, New York, best known for its flagship publication founded in 1922, Reader's Digest. The company's headquarters are in New York City, where it moved from Pleasantville, New York.

The company was founded by DeWitt and Lila Wallace in 1922 with the first publication of Reader's Digest magazine, but...more
More about Reader's Digest...
Back to Basics Strange Stories, Amazing Facts New Complete Guide to Sewing Complete guide to needlework Quotable Quotes