Start by marking “The Essential Confucius” as Want to Read:
The Essential Confucius

The Essential Confucius

A deluxe paperback edition: Thomas Cleary's brilliant translation of the sayings of Confucius presented in the order of the 64 classic I Ching hexagrams.
Published September 24th 1993 by HarperOne (first published June 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Confucius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Confucius

Megan Anderson
Dec 14, 2009 Megan Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: formystudents, 2009
A good comparison of the I Ching and Confucius's Analects. Having the quotes side-by-side with corrosponding passages of the I Ching makes it easy to read, and the introduction about the life and times of Confucius helps put everything in perspective.

4/5 on here, 8/10 for myself
Mqcarpenter
Mar 14, 2011 Mqcarpenter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This new presentation of the ever-popular sayings of Confucius brings the wisdom of a great teacher to another generation of readers. Cleary, a master translator of classic Chinese texts, provides the text with an insightful introduction & commentary. (From Yahoo)

Cleary presents the core teachings of the great Chinese philosopher, educator, and social critic in a convenient, easy-to-read format. Sayings from Confucius's AnalectsCleary presents the core teachings of the great Chinese philosop
Tally
Dec 28, 2016 Tally rated it liked it
I've tried reading "The Analects," without a shred of success a couple of different ways. Then again, they weren't compiled by Thomas Cleary.

"The Essential Confucius" is a bit strange to look through at first, but you get the hang of it and can get something out of it. The arrangement of text, with descriptions in back regarding the players for each portion is far preferable to other versions of Confucian compilations I'd tried to get through, barely getting past page 18. It's a thin work, but t
Chimezie Ogbuji
Jan 16, 2010 Chimezie Ogbuji rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Confucius (or at least Confusian) commentary of the symbols in the original Yi Ching (the oracular Book of Change). They order the book, but also serve as anchors for the confucian ethos. In this version, links between the themes in the commentary and sections in texts such as the Analects are given as well. The commentary describe the interplay of the natural forces that comprise the 'Gua' as an analogy on the structure of the symbol. In this way, the original authors are able to 'encod ...more
Nikki Madigan
Mar 24, 2013 Nikki Madigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I very much enjoyed this book. It was a good gateway into the teachings of Confucius' teachings and has sparked an interest in learning more. In addition, just the act of reading it is calming when I am frustrated.
Jay Wright
Jul 08, 2016 Jay Wright rated it really liked it
I found this work very interesting. I like the view that man is essentially good and that evil is an aberration. This is a short work that took him a long time to write. The views although more than 2500 years old were refreshing. It is a short book and my only complaint is I wanted more.
Colin
Dec 16, 2007 Colin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: folks who like axioms, proverbs, laws-of-life, aphorisms, etc.
Confucius say... a lot worth considering, even in our times.
Will Harrison
Jan 11, 2016 Will Harrison rated it it was amazing
Ahhh so helpful!! Very easy yet profound read & just what I was looking for - a good introduction to Confucian philosophy :)
Christina knox
Feb 25, 2008 Christina knox rated it it was amazing
i want everyone to read this.
India
Apr 30, 2015 India rated it liked it
Short, simple and Zen.
Ez Luna
Ez Luna rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Deborah Gruber
Deborah Gruber rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2016
Scott wachter
Scott wachter rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2007
Vincenzodimaio
Vincenzodimaio rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2011
Nikita
Nikita rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Kate Vollmayer
Kate Vollmayer rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2011
Braeden
Braeden rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2012
Hassaan Syed
Hassaan Syed rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2011
Zach Stanford
Zach Stanford rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Debi
Debi rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2017
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2012
Blood and Fire
Blood and Fire rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Anita Malone-Cano
Anita Malone-Cano rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2007
Barry Tikkanen
Barry Tikkanen rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Sadie
Sadie rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2008
William Romsek
William Romsek rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2017
Art Quezada
Art Quezada rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Collection of Ancient Texts
  • Writings, 1878-1899
  • The Shambhala Guide to Taoism
  • Scholar Warrior: An Introduction to the Tao in Everyday Life
  • The Handy Religion Answer Book (The Handy Answer Book Series)
  • The Tao Speaks: Lao-Tzu's Whispers of Wisdom
  • Mencius
  • The Spirit of Zen
  • Essential Sufism
  • Antichrist: Two Thousand Years of the Human Fascination with Evil
  • Plato I: Euthyphro. Apology. Crito. Phaedo. Phaedrus. (Loeb Classical Library, #36)
  • Secrets of Voodoo