Start by marking “The Complete Plays” as Want to Read:
The Complete Plays

The Complete Plays

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For the first time, all of Anton Chekhov's drama in English in a single volume.

This stunning new translation presents the only truly complete edition of the playwright who is in the pantheon of the greatest dramatists in history. Anton Chekhov is a unique force in modern drama, his works interpreted and adapted internationally and beloved for their understanding of the hum
Published December 12th 2005 by W. W. Norton

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Plays

Jenna
Laurence Senelick's translation is fabulous and as the only person to have translated all of Anton Chekhov's works into English, he is an authority on the playwright. This is not the first time Dr. Senelick has translated Chekhov's plays, but it is his most recent edition. Speaking several languages, Senelick is in an excellent position to be a master translator and I think his translations are essential to any student of modern drama.

The only regret I have about the complete edition is that it
Sam Schimek
This is, by far, the best translation of Chekhov that I have read. It is also actually complete. Most editions have his major plays (Three Sisters, Uncle Vanya, The Seagull) and one other of a random assortment of lesser-know plays. While, like almost everyone, I have trouble at times keeping names straight , the characters are wonderful.

Don't skip the short "Vaudevilles." These short plays have some of the best character comedy.
Will
They do mean complete! It includes sketches, initial drafts, variations, etc. along with commentary on each piece. I skimmed a lot of the "humorous dialogues" and such and focused on the main course--The Seagull, Uncle Vanya, The Three Sisters, and The Cherry Orchard. I cannot really comment on the translation other than to say I found it very readable. I enjoyed all, but I prefer his short stories.
Chad Nevett
I think this book will always be in the "currently reading" section since it's so massive and complete that I doubt I will ever read it completely. It contains pretty much every piece Chekhov ever wrote for the stage including lots of variations. That I will never read it completely is a testament to just how much is there.
Chas
It took me a long time to get through this collection, but what's fascinating about slogging through Chekhov's experiments, juvenilia, humor sketches, and miscellany is what enormous achievements The Seagull and The Cherry Orchard, an the long road it took for him to get there, artistically.
Salvatore
You already knew this but this man can write. Plus I must have gained arm muscles lugging this volume on the subway. Double trouble!
J4
Feb 23, 2008 J4 marked it as to-read
Purchased to answer a question. To get a better insight as to why Dr. Cornell West is so passionate about Chekhov?
Cole
Jul 04, 2008 Cole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the stout-hearted
this world will break your back. in russia it will just be colder while it happens. chekhov is an all-time favorite.
Diana Polansky
Great translation...and you see some of his earlier plays which are essentially drafts of his later plays
Brendan Shea
Wow, this Senelick chap is quite the translator!
Shefali
Plays by Anton Chekhov (25/3/2000)
jordan
Read:

Uncle Vanya
The Seagull
Kristin
re-reading some.
Joel Argo
Joel Argo marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Josh
Josh is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2015
Michael Roberts
Michael Roberts marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Solomon Mousley
Solomon Mousley marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
rem
rem marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Jae Hong
Jae Hong marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Kok Leun
Kok Leun marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Susan Bell
Susan Bell marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
  • Eureka
  • Eating Fire: Selected Poetry 1965-1995
  • Summa Contra Gentiles: Book 1: God
  • Selected Stories of Eudora Welty: A Curtain of Green And Other Stories / The Wide Net and Other Stories
  • From Death to Morning
  • Red Grass River: A Legend
  • The Viewpoints Book: A Practical Guide to Viewpoints and Composition
  • Poemas
  • The Garin Death Ray
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book Two
  • Collected Shorter Plays
  • Invisible Eden: A Story of Love and Murder on Cape Cod
  • Grief Lessons: Four Plays
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (Russian: Антон Павлович Чехов) (Arabic: أنطون تشيخوف) was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on m
More about Anton Chekhov...
Selected Stories The Cherry Orchard The Seagull The Complete Short Novels Uncle Vanya