Start by marking “The Complete Plays” as Want to Read:
The Complete Plays

The Complete Plays

This stunning new translation presents the only truly complete edition of the playwright who is in the pantheon of the greatest dramatists in history. Anton Chekhov is a unique force in modern drama, his works interpreted and adapted internationally and beloved for their understanding of the human condition and their brilliant wit. This volume contains work that has never ...more
Published January 3rd 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published December 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Plays

Trish
Aug 25, 2015 Trish rated it it was amazing
Chekov was an astoundingly prolific author, “publishing as many as one hundred and sixty-six stories between 1886 and 1887 while practicing medicine.” He’d been writing for magazines, newspapers, and periodicals since 1979 when he entered medical school, hoping to supplement his family’s meager income.
”On a visit to St. Petersburg [in 1885], Chekov had been embarrassed by the acclaim that greeted him, because he recognized that much of his output had been hasty and unrevised. ‘If I’d know that
Jenna
Apr 06, 2008 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama-russian
Laurence Senelick's translation is fabulous and as the only person to have translated all of Anton Chekhov's works into English, he is an authority on the playwright. This is not the first time Dr. Senelick has translated Chekhov's plays, but it is his most recent edition. Speaking several languages, Senelick is in an excellent position to be a master translator and I think his translations are essential to any student of modern drama.

The only regret I have about the complete edition is that it
Sam Schimek
Feb 25, 2008 Sam Schimek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, by far, the best translation of Chekhov that I have read. It is also actually complete. Most editions have his major plays (Three Sisters, Uncle Vanya, The Seagull) and one other of a random assortment of lesser-know plays. While, like almost everyone, I have trouble at times keeping names straight , the characters are wonderful.

Don't skip the short "Vaudevilles." These short plays have some of the best character comedy.
Will
Apr 23, 2013 Will rated it liked it
They do mean complete! It includes sketches, initial drafts, variations, etc. along with commentary on each piece. I skimmed a lot of the "humorous dialogues" and such and focused on the main course--The Seagull, Uncle Vanya, The Three Sisters, and The Cherry Orchard. I cannot really comment on the translation other than to say I found it very readable. I enjoyed all, but I prefer his short stories.
Chad Nevett
Jan 04, 2016 Chad Nevett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book will always be in the "currently reading" section since it's so massive and complete that I doubt I will ever read it completely. It contains pretty much every piece Chekhov ever wrote for the stage including lots of variations. That I will never read it completely is a testament to just how much is there.
Chas
Nov 17, 2011 Chas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to get through this collection, but what's fascinating about slogging through Chekhov's experiments, juvenilia, humor sketches, and miscellany is what enormous achievements The Seagull and The Cherry Orchard, an the long road it took for him to get there, artistically.
Diana Polansky
Apr 22, 2007 Diana Polansky rated it it was amazing
Great translation...and you see some of his earlier plays which are essentially drafts of his later plays
J4
Feb 23, 2008 J4 marked it as to-read
Purchased to answer a question. To get a better insight as to why Dr. Cornell West is so passionate about Chekhov?
Salvatore
Aug 02, 2012 Salvatore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You already knew this but this man can write. Plus I must have gained arm muscles lugging this volume on the subway. Double trouble!
Cole
Jul 04, 2008 Cole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the stout-hearted
this world will break your back. in russia it will just be colder while it happens. chekhov is an all-time favorite.
golmaryam
golmaryam rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2007
Gregory Brengauz
Gregory Brengauz rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2009
Prash
Prash rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2007
Josh Cherry
Josh Cherry rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
mohammad
mohammad rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2007
Anastasia Novitska
Anastasia Novitska rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2010
Ata
Ata rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2007
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2007
Benji Pea
Benji Pea rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2014
RIchard
RIchard rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Michael sinkofcabbages
Michael sinkofcabbages rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2009
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2008
nastaran
nastaran rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2008
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2012
David
David rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2012
Oleksandra
Oleksandra rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Charles Novo
Charles Novo rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Aditi
Aditi rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Sina
Sina rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Complete Plays - Anton Chekhov 1 3 Aug 31, 2012 05:22AM
  • The Complete Works of Isaac Babel
  • Selected Stories of Eudora Welty: A Curtain of Green And Other Stories / The Wide Net and Other Stories
  • Summa Contra Gentiles: Book 1: God
  • Eureka: A Prose Poem
  • From Death to Morning
  • As Seen on TV: Provocations
  • Eating Fire: Selected Poetry 1965-1995
  • Isn't it Romantic
  • Four Major Plays, Vol. 2: Ghosts / An Enemy of the People / The Lady from the Sea / John Gabriel Borkman
  • The Same Old Story
  • My Life in Art
  • Take Ten: New 10-Minute Plays
  • Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book(s) Three & Four
  • My Happiness Bears No Relation to Happiness
  • The Love Girl And The Innocent
  • Red Grass River: A Legend
  • Лирика
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov recalled, "it all seems quite glo
More about Anton Chekhov...