Sartre for Beginners

Sartre for Beginners (For Beginners)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Sartre For Beginners is an accessible yet sophisticated introduction to the life and works of the famous French philosopher, Jean Paul Sartre. Sartre was a member of the French underground during World War II, a novelist, a playwright, and a major influence in French political and intellectual life.

The book opens with a biographical section, introducing the significant ev...more
Paperback, Trade Paperback, 156 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by Writers & Readers Publishing (first published July 1995)

Jimmy
A nice review book.

Life Facts: His mother was a first cousin of Albert Schweitzer. His father died when he was a year old, so his mother lavished all her attention on him. But his grandfather and later stepfather were stern influences. He was only 5 feet 3 inches tall. He had a strabismus or wandering eye. He met Simon de Beauvoir, and they became companions until his death: they never married or lived together, had other lovers, and deeply each other's works. Ashes buried next to each other in...more
Supreeth
Don't be fooled by its modest sounding title. It is for beginners all right, but one needs a bit of patience to gain even a rudimentary understanding of some concepts like bad faith or phenomenological existentialism.
After reading the same page for about six or seven times, I finally thought I got what bad faith was. And then, I came across this paragraph:
"Sincerity", Sartre claims, "is the antithesis of bad faith." So it would seem that striving for sincerity is "good faith," but this is not t...more
Emily Boerner
BUT what is the definition of existentialism??!¥£€€<~~. Haha! A great refresher of the twisted minds who had the time to pontificate the meaning of life. THIS was a great departure from my daily existence! Loved it... Philosophy 101 without the classroom.
Nativeabuse
One of the not so great entries in the for beginners series. It really didn't aid in my understanding of Sartre or existentialism at all and I really couldn't say that I got much of anything out of the experience.

A waste of time for the most part.
Emily
Very informative.
Marie-pier
cartoon et philosophie sur buck de bière, quoi de mieux!
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Justin Bell
Justin Bell is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2014
Poppy
Poppy marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Miz
Miz marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
HY
HY added it
Dec 03, 2013
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Marc
Marc added it
Oct 08, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
di mana? 1 7 Aug 01, 2009 10:25PM
Does The Center Hold?: An Introduction to Western Philosophy Looking at Philosophy: The Unbearable Heaviness of Philosophy Made Lighter Kierkegaard for Beginners Structuralism and Poststructuralism For Beginners Visions of Human Nature: An Introduction