Start by marking “The Legend of the Persian Carpet” as Want to Read:
The Legend of the Persian Carpet

The Legend of the Persian Carpet (Legends)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When King Balash's precious diamond is stolen, the grief-stricken king can no longer rule, and the country falls into chaos, until a clever young boy comes up with a scheme to bring the jewel's radiance back into the palace.
Published October 27th 1993 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of the Persian Carpet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of the Persian Carpet

Skylar Burris
Beautiful pictures. Held my daughter's interest. There seems to be less of an emphasis on virtue than the other legends we have read retold by the same author. A king is distracted from his duty and can only be won back to fulfilling it because a boy caters to his desire for a rainbow filled room. No lesson learned; no reformation of character. The point seems to be simply to explain the origin of the Persian carpet and nothing more, but in other legends explaining the origin of various things ( ...more
Cynthia
Nov 19, 2008 Cynthia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: primary and intermediate grades
Tomie dePaola founded a publishing house devoted to multicultural folktales. This one is illustrated by someone other than himself. The artist studied Persian tapestries in order to give that effect to the illustrations. It's a gorgeous book! I wonder how closely his interpretation is to the original Persian tale?
K.
The pictures are honestly what made this book a favorite for me. The illustrator does a wonderful job of showing the contrast between bright, filled rooms and empty, stark spaces.
Josiah
Well, illustrator Claire Ewart certainly had her work cut out for her in this book. Readers from all over the globe have had a relationship with Tomie dePaola for decades, getting to know him through his works in a way that almost never happens with any author, because he is so open with his personal family history. Tomie dePaola's stories and painting style blend so comfortably together that in the eyes of many (including myself) the two are virtually married, and it's hard to imagine anyone e ...more
Jean-Marie
This a great picture book explaining the legend behind the origin of the jewel-patterned Persian carpet. And it is the first time someone other than Tomie dePaola has illustrated one of his books. Claire Ewart more than aptly handled the job. Her illustration are beautiful -- bright and bold. She selected the perfect colors to tell the story.
Dolly
Apr 02, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
When we started to read this book, we were a bit startled. A book, written by Tomie dePaola, but illustrated by someone else? How unusual! But the note at the beginning of the story explains the rationale and it makes perfect sense. And I think that the choice was wise, as the illustrator (Claire Ewart) creates a beautiful depiction of the tale. We really enjoyed reading this story together. We are working our way slowly through Tomie dePaola's vast collection of stories and we really love his b ...more
Patricia
How strange to read a Tomie dePaola book that he didn't illustrate! Still, it's a nice story, and the illustrations, by Claire Ewart, are lovely watercolors.

This is a good story for anyone who wants to read about Persia and/or beautiful Persian carpets. For me, this was a "once is enough" read.
Nancy
Jen Rothmeyer
Not written in a way to make you engage with any of the characters. Not that interesting.
Chris Webber
I read this for design/illustration ideas for my upcoming book. It was helpful.
Lauren Suchomski
I used this as the read aloud component for an ongoing folklore unit with second grade. It was to help show the characteristics of a legend and while my kiddos liked it- they oooed and ahhhed over the diamond and the carpet- I don't think it was the best example of a legend I could have used. Still they liked the story and it was nice to get a legend that took place in a drastically different culture.
Charity (CJ)
This book was fine, but it didn't really capture my kids' (or my) attention. I found the transitions a little clunky; I kept thinking I was skipping pages when I wasn't because bits seemed like they were missing. Not major plot points or bits of dialogue, just transition sentences from one scene to another. This book did prompt me to look up whether a diamond can break/shatter or not (turns out it can).
Sandybear76
I read to a second grade class. Their teacher had been doing a unit on Tomie DePaola but had missed this one. It is in our library with the fables and fairy tales, unlike many of his other books found in the easy fiction section. The students enjoyed the story. I hadn't read it before. DePaola didn't illustrate this book so that was a bit different on his part.
Tara Geske
This was not one of my favorite books. The story didn't really catch me and I kind of became bored reading it. However, the pictures were very pretty and depicted the story very well. The children would like having the pictures so closely represent the story because they would be able to understand the whole story just by looking at the pictures.
A.
A. marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Claire Ewart
Nov 08, 2014 Claire Ewart rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Stephanie Hartvigson
Stephanie Hartvigson marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Jestine Ware
Jestine Ware marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
pegah
pegah marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...
Strega Nona The Legend of the Bluebonnet The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush The Art Lesson Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs