Start by marking “Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks” as Want to Read:
Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks

Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  884 ratings  ·  69 reviews
From the pen of one who has been where you are: loving God and longing to hear his voice, Priscilla Shirer shares her insights based on practical experience and years of biblical study in this new edition of Discerning the Voice of God. In it she writes:

Through His longsuffering and steadfastness, God has invited me to know Him better. And the more intimate I've become wit
Published March 1st 2007 by Moody Publishers (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Discerning the Voice of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discerning the Voice of God

Simply Revelation by T.R. EstepCrazy Love by Francis ChanExperiencing God by Henry T. BlackabyStatic Jedi by Eric Samuel TimmGod's Favor - Breath Of Heaven by Michele Woolley
Books for Christian Group Study
10th out of 86 books — 71 voters
Eyewitness to Majesty by Mindy Ferguson7 by Jen HatmakerSecrets of the Dry Bones by Susan RohrerBefore His Throne by Kathy HowardUnshakeable Faith by Kathy Howard
Women's Bible Study
10th out of 18 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Pat W. Kirk
Too often, Christians fret concerning whether they know the will of God. No trumpets blow. No burning bush stops them in their tracks. No angel knocks on the door with a letter from God. Priscilla Shirer, daughter of Dr. Tony Evans and a minister, tackles the problem of how we may recognize the voice of God with certainty. This version is the eleventh edition of this book (revised and expanded).

The first chapter pace moves a little slowly, but it picks up as the reader goes to the later chapter
Larisha
God allowed me to lead a neighborhood group of ladies in this study as I have seen in my life the Person of the Holy Spirit speak to me, direct my footsteps, and guide me towards the Calling HE has for my life!! As a result, a new neighbor shared how she would like that level of faith and that began the neighborhood group!! God is All-Knowing and HE knew how lives would be Blessed and Transformed :)

God wants to speak directly to each of His beloved children!!

The study focuses on why young Samuel
Cheryl
How to Recognize When God is Speaking

Ms. Shirer does an excellent job in explaining how we hear God through His Word. She speaks from personal experience and empathizes well with the reader. She includes personal stories and stories from friends to back up the concepts. Of course, plenty of scripture is used as well.

I like the way she emphasizes that God speaks primarily through His Word. But she also does briefly go into some other ways He speaks and the need for confirmations. She believes in
Kristin Bush
Absolutely awesome and engaging. It will take you to a new level in your relationship with God. I learned that prayer is more than me coming to God and unloading my baggage on HIM BUT also my taking the time to be quiet and listen to HIM, listen for HIS response and listen for HIS instruction. I am now becoming more adept and discerning when the Lord is speaking to me, although I will admit I'm still learning and understanding.
Jane E Jamison
Wow did this book reinforce what God has been telling me.

I never go into God's word that I do not come out feeling better than I went in. I have not been spending the time I should in His Word and I know it, but if Satan can not make you sin, he will make you busy. This book reconfirmed that God wants a relationship with me but I need to slow down and listen for Him. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that is a new believer or even someone who has believed their entire life but has not
Andrew
Discerning the Voice of God is written to guide readers into how to hear and listen to God speak the messages he is trying to convey to you. Many of us are desperately wanting God to answer and guide us on who to marry, what career do you want me to work in, how to deal with our wayward sons and daughters, and major decisions we are having to make. Many times we dismiss and pass messages and events as being only coincidence and we perceive that they can't be from God. God can communicate through ...more
Mavilinda
I thought this book was excellent. Pricilla really opens your heart and mind. I love that she mentions how each person listen differently and how God speaks to each person individually. We all can hear the voice of God is we discipline our selves to listen because our heavenly father wants to speak to us.
Jamie
A great, great small group Bible study! This was our 2nd study and one of our very favorites. We are big Priscilla fans, which is why we are currently studying her Seed study.
Melissa Ferris
Easily one of the best books I have read. It's definitely a book I will keep and read again.
iluv2read
This is His Word...this is His promise...LIVE LIKE YOU BELIEVE IT!!!

Loved this book! Came at the exact right time in my life and I thank the Lord for it. I'm passing it on to a friend tonight even so that she can be blessed as well. We must anticipate that the Lord is going to speak and be ready to immediately obey what He says for each of us to do.

Fabulous...
Leigh
Overall, while I didn't think the book revealed any ground-breaking new revelations about hearing from God, I thought it was very well presented & did explain some concepts that I knew in new ways I'd never thought of before. I used this book for a Bible study with my Young Adult Sunday School class, & everyone seemed to really enjoy it. It led to some very interesting discussions during class.

I also have to give Mrs. Shirer credit. I was only two days into the study & was already be
Maranda Burkett
Jun 04, 2008 Maranda Burkett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who wants to hear God's Voice
I totally loved this book! It really opened by eyes on how to hear God's Voice and learning how to discern it. I thought that everyone else could hear and know what God's want them to do but not me. Now I know how to start and what to do. I'm slowly learning more and more about God. I think that's how He wants me to learn, I like to learn everyone fast but He always knows best! Thank you God!!!
Angie
I really loved this book. It really got you to think about what God's will is for in your life and to pray and do what he is asking of us.
Karen Klein
Bible Study that was lent to me by Mary Ellen......Thank you! I will do this over the summer (6week course) until our next "official" bible study starts in September.

Going to try and start this today..........

Really good study - a little difficult for me to do on my own; I like being able to discuss with others after each lesson.
Kristin
Excellent, excellent, excellent. This book was an accompanying resource as I'm coming out of a "desert season" of my spiritual life. It was so timely for me. I highly recommend watching the DVD while doing this study, as Priscilla is a dynamic, powerful, amazing speaker! I will be watching for her to come around so I can attend a live conference.
Amethyst
Loved this book! Priscilla Shirer truly speaks to our deepest spiritual needs and provides direct instruction on how to draw yourself nearer to God and identifying what it is God is trying to tell us. I have grown immensely spiritually since reading this book and I hope to continue to grow and use this book as a point of reference.
Alice
Three women came together to create the video study we did at church this summer: Beth Moore, Kay Arthur, and Priscilla Shirer. I was familiar with the first two, but glad to be introduced to Priscilla Shirer.
I was also delighted to find that her own book, Discerning the Voice of God, is every bit as good as the group study!
Heather
Priscilla Shirer is one of my favorite Bible teachers and she did not disappoint with this book. She writes as if she is in a small Bible study with her readers and only wants the best for them. I would love to dig into this book further in a Bible study setting, but this was a nice option in the meantime.
Angie
I loved this study. Priscilla Shirer is a great teacher filled with the Holy Spirit. There's nothing more important than being able to discern the voice of God. We need to know what our part is to have that kind of communication with the Lord and this study has given sound instruction on this matter.
elizabeth
Great insight...its already changed my life and I'm excited to see where it will take me. God really does speak in our life...I think we just sometimes let our own "over thinking" and "over worry" get in the way instead of just excepting his plan...thankly we have a persistent god!
Karen Hardin
Going through this with a study group. Absolutely love her style and this study. You can tell she has walked this out and is sharing from her experience. Nothing deep or new revelation necessarily. Just good solid insights that remind us of the truth and practical application.
Peggy Troyer
Is God involved with my life? Priscilla says yes! She gives some tips for becoming alert to God in our lives. A bit repetitive by the end, but great stuff!
Alyssa
I really enjoyed this book, just couldnt give it full marks because it is so much like Experiencing God by Henry and Richard Blackaby. But I love Shirer's voice, it is so refreshing and warm. I find myself comforted by her words.
I would recommend this to anyone.
Kayla Drorbaugh
Did this study in the women's bible study at my church and I LOVED it. It's an amazing study all together, and even better when you also have the DVD that goes along with it... But with or without the DVD you will learn SO much from this one.
Traca
Mar 14, 2008 Traca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women's Bible study groups
My women's Bible study group recently went through this series. A very sincere, easy to follow study that made me more aware of when/how God speaks to me. I will read other things by Priscilla Shirer in the future.
Sherrie
Excellent study - I got a lot out of this book and the videos enhanced the experience as well.
I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a deeper study into how to tune into the voice of God in your life.
Renee
If you are looking for a great Bible study book - this is a perfect one to start with. Easy to pace yourself through the week and you can apply it to your everyday life.
Deb
This is an excellent study book in how to have a better relationship with God. Helps you learn how to listen and know when God is speaking to you. excellent for small groups
Ali Bragdon
Amazing book!!
Karen
Did this study with a group of about 30 college students. Saw the Lord work in huge ways! This is an absolutely fantastic bible study!!
  • Stepping Up: A Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark
  • What Happens When Women Say Yes to God: Experiencing Life in Extraordinary Ways
  • Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break
  • Lord, I Want to Know You: A Devotional Study on the Names of God
  • Every Thought Captive: Battling the Toxic Belifs That Separate Us from the Life We Crave
The Resolution for Women Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed: A Study of David: Member Book One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land Gideon: Your weakness. God's strength: Member Book Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted - Member Book

“God is the God of “right now.” He doesn’t want you sitting around regretting yesterday. Nor does He want you wringing your hands and worrying about the future. He wants you focusing on what He is saying to you and putting in front of you … right now.” 3 likes
“The things that are “freely given to us by God” (1 Corinthians 2:12) are the only things we need to know now. A lot of the reason we grow so upset and disturbed about not hearing specifically from God is that we want what isn’t “freely given.” When we pray, “Lord, show me Your will,” we’re often asking for things that He knows are not pertinent for another twenty years. We want God to paint the whole picture right away, but He wisely withholds certain truths and information from us until we need it, when we can actually do something with it besides just mess it up.” 1 likes