Start by marking “Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks” as Want to Read:
Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks

Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks

4.43  ·  Rating Details ·  1,597 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
From the pen of one who has been where you are: loving God and longing to hear his voice, Priscilla Shirer shares her insights based on practical experience and years of biblical study in this new edition of Discerning the Voice of God. In it she writes:

Published March 1st 2007 by Moody Publishers (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Discerning the Voice of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discerning the Voice of God

Andrea Cox
by Andrea Renee Cox

Wow. Can Priscilla Shirer deliver a powerful message or what? Loved this book, the message within it. Coincided perfectly with what I'm learning in life right now. One of those times I definitely feel God wanted me to read this book at precisely this time in my life. I highlighted things, underlined, made notes in the margins... and I'll be revisiting this book in times when I feel I cannot hear God's voice very clearly.

Discerning the Voice of God is uplifting, encouraging, an
Patricia Annalee
Apr 27, 2012 Patricia Annalee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too often, Christians fret concerning whether they know the will of God. No trumpets blow. No burning bush stops them in their tracks. No angel knocks on the door with a letter from God. Priscilla Shirer, daughter of Dr. Tony Evans and a minister, tackles the problem of how we may recognize the voice of God with certainty. This version is the eleventh edition of this book (revised and expanded).

The first chapter pace moves a little slowly, but it picks up as the reader goes to the later chapter
Jocelyn Green
May 07, 2016 Jocelyn Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
I loved this book. Priscilla is a wonderful teacher, whether it's through the spoken or written word.
Larisha
Mar 04, 2011 Larisha rated it it was amazing
God allowed me to lead a neighborhood group of ladies in this study as I have seen in my life the Person of the Holy Spirit speak to me, direct my footsteps, and guide me towards the Calling HE has for my life!! As a result, a new neighbor shared how she would like that level of faith and that began the neighborhood group!! God is All-Knowing and HE knew how lives would be Blessed and Transformed :)

God wants to speak directly to each of His beloved children!!

The study focuses on why young Samuel
Kristin Bush
Feb 16, 2013 Kristin Bush rated it it was amazing
Absolutely awesome and engaging. It will take you to a new level in your relationship with God. I learned that prayer is more than me coming to God and unloading my baggage on HIM BUT also my taking the time to be quiet and listen to HIM, listen for HIS response and listen for HIS instruction. I am now becoming more adept and discerning when the Lord is speaking to me, although I will admit I'm still learning and understanding.
Susan Cobb
Sep 22, 2016 Susan Cobb rated it really liked it
Priscella Shirer has a way to explain things about God speaking and makes it easy to understand. A
very big thumbs up.
Cindy Costley Baker
This is an excellent Bible study. Priscilla is an engaging, inspirational speaker who provides clear Biblical support for discerning the voice of God. The women in my church got so much from this study. They said it is one of their favorites.
Amanda Lea
Mar 14, 2017 Amanda Lea rated it it was amazing
GAME CHANGER!!! One of the best books I've ever read. Read it!
Peg
Mar 12, 2017 Peg rated it it was amazing
So very good! Our life group read this one and it was absolutely fantastic.
Mallory Hudson
Jan 27, 2017 Mallory Hudson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-lit
incredibly practical and useful
Bev Burrell
Feb 06, 2017 Bev Burrell rated it it was amazing
Amazing--one of the best books I've read on this topic.
Carrie Daws
I just finished reading the revised book version of this study by Priscilla Shirer, and I loved it. She thoroughly discussed the topic without going overboard, making it simple and easy to apply without making me feel stupid or inadequate. Her examples from everyday life were perfect, and she regularly had me reaching for my highlighter so I would remember something she said. I highly recommend this to any Christian who more confidently wants to hear God speak in their lives.
Jackie
Jan 05, 2017 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Very good read filled with wisdom on discerning Gods voice...very positive and powerful...exactly perfect for where I am in life, listening and acting in obedience to what I'm hearing and excited as I wait in expectation for what's next...I've done many studies of Priscilla's but I couldn't put this one down!
Andrew
Aug 20, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Discerning the Voice of God is written to guide readers into how to hear and listen to God speak the messages he is trying to convey to you. Many of us are desperately wanting God to answer and guide us on who to marry, what career do you want me to work in, how to deal with our wayward sons and daughters, and major decisions we are having to make. Many times we dismiss and pass messages and events as being only coincidence and we perceive that they can't be from God. God can communicate through ...more
Min
Apr 21, 2016 Min rated it it was amazing
Absolutely God sent book!

One Sunday (April 24, 2016), in a local church, a pastor used one whole hour telling how Abraham is a model of following God's voice without hesitation, how important it is to do what God invite you to do. I was frustated because, well, let's face it, if God ask us to do something, who won't do it?! The key question is not whether we will follow or not, but HOW can we dicern his voice?

I verbalized my question in an email to an American pastor, then within 24 hours, I go
Cheryl
May 19, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
How to Recognize When God is Speaking

Ms. Shirer does an excellent job in explaining how we hear God through His Word. She speaks from personal experience and empathizes well with the reader. She includes personal stories and stories from friends to back up the concepts. Of course, plenty of scripture is used as well.

I like the way she emphasizes that God speaks primarily through His Word. But she also does briefly go into some other ways He speaks and the need for confirmations. She believes in
Mmtimes4
Jan 18, 2016 Mmtimes4 rated it it was amazing

Through His longsuffering and steadfastness, God has invited me to know Him better. And the more intimate I've become with Him, the more acquainted I've become with His voice. He has proven Himself to me not because I'm more special than anyone e
Kimberly
Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God is Speaking by Priscilla Shirer is a fantastic book that shows ways that God does still speak to us today if we will only take time to listen.

Ms Shirer does an absolutely amazing job in explaining how we can hear God through his word, how God may use others to confirm what He is trying to tell you.

There are interesting chapter challenges at the end of each chapter for us to try that will bring us closer to God and recognizing when He is spea
Ally Charest
Mar 07, 2016 Ally Charest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!

Here is an expert from my review:

"Discerning the Voice of God is such a great book! I’ve been seeking to hear God’s voice better, through various teachings and books. This book is a must read for anyone that desires to hear more of God’s voice in their life. I find Priscilla’s writing style so easy to read and apply and this book did not disappoint.

In Discerning the Voice of God, Priscilla offers ways we can know if we are hearing God’s voice or not. This is so critical. Have
Jane E Jamison
Sep 05, 2014 Jane E Jamison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow did this book reinforce what God has been telling me.

I never go into God's word that I do not come out feeling better than I went in. I have not been spending the time I should in His Word and I know it, but if Satan can not make you sin, he will make you busy. This book reconfirmed that God wants a relationship with me but I need to slow down and listen for Him. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that is a new believer or even someone who has believed their entire life but has not
Ellien
Oct 24, 2015 Ellien rated it liked it
If you have not listened to Priscilla's devotionals, I highly recommend her to you. You can hear her in the LifeWay women's devotional CDs. I only gave an average to this book perhaps because I am further along in my journey. What she writes is the truth. I wish I would have read it earlier in my journey with Christ, as for me, this was all repeat from what I received from the Holy Spirit, who is our greatest teacher. What I felt was inspiring about Shirer's oral devotionals, sometimes felt like ...more
Leigh
Jul 14, 2012 Leigh rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
Overall, while I didn't think the book revealed any ground-breaking new revelations about hearing from God, I thought it was very well presented & did explain some concepts that I knew in new ways I'd never thought of before. I used this book for a Bible study with my Young Adult Sunday School class, & everyone seemed to really enjoy it. It led to some very interesting discussions during class.

I also have to give Mrs. Shirer credit. I was only two days into the study & was already be
Maranda Burkett
Jun 04, 2008 Maranda Burkett rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who wants to hear God's Voice
I totally loved this book! It really opened by eyes on how to hear God's Voice and learning how to discern it. I thought that everyone else could hear and know what God's want them to do but not me. Now I know how to start and what to do. I'm slowly learning more and more about God. I think that's how He wants me to learn, I like to learn everyone fast but He always knows best! Thank you God!!!
Chiqui
Dec 28, 2015 Chiqui rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-studies
Bobbie Jo
Feb 02, 2016 Bobbie Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so grateful for this study and Ms. Shirer. This book could not have come at a more perfect time in my life. As part of my bible study we also got to watch the videos that accompany the book and Ms. Shirer is so inspirational. This really has begun my journey with God - I feel like I always "knew" Him but now I am seeking Him. God is good.

I have a lot of work ahead of me in my relationship with the Lord but I think this has given me a great start and I am filled with joy to continue.
Stephanie
Oct 04, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-study
I truly believe that some Bible studies come to you at just the right time and speak into your life just what you need. That's how I feel about this one. In a group of a dozen women in the same study the Word spoke into our lives through it in many different ways. I think of you have the opportunity or are led to this study in any way you should go for it. Priscilla is relatable, engaging, honest, and real - I highly recommend Discerning the Voice of God.
iluv2read
Jan 05, 2014 iluv2read rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This is His Word...this is His promise...LIVE LIKE YOU BELIEVE IT!!!

Loved this book! Came at the exact right time in my life and I thank the Lord for it. I'm passing it on to a friend tonight even so that she can be blessed as well. We must anticipate that the Lord is going to speak and be ready to immediately obey what He says for each of us to do.

Fabulous...
Karen Klein
May 19, 2012 Karen Klein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-study
Bible Study that was lent to me by Mary Ellen......Thank you! I will do this over the summer (6week course) until our next "official" bible study starts in September.

Going to try and start this today..........

Really good study - a little difficult for me to do on my own; I like being able to discuss with others after each lesson.
Susan
Jun 12, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't miss this!

One of the simplest, clearest, but most insightful books I've ever read. The writer has lived through everything of which she speaks and backs up all instructions with Scripture. I highly recommend this book to everyone who is eager to get to the next step of total trust in God.
Amethyst
May 31, 2012 Amethyst rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Priscilla Shirer truly speaks to our deepest spiritual needs and provides direct instruction on how to draw yourself nearer to God and identifying what it is God is trying to tell us. I have grown immensely spiritually since reading this book and I hope to continue to grow and use this book as a point of reference.
  • Stepping Up: A Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent
  • Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking by Faith, Not by Sight
  • What Happens When Women Say Yes to God: Experiencing Life in Extraordinary Ways
  • Lord, I Want to Know You: A Devotional Study on the Names of God
  • A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises
  • Every Thought Captive: Battling the Toxic Beliefs That Separate Us from the Life We Crave
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out

“God is the God of “right now.” He doesn’t want you sitting around regretting yesterday. Nor does He want you wringing your hands and worrying about the future. He wants you focusing on what He is saying to you and putting in front of you … right now.” 12 likes
“The things that are “freely given to us by God” (1 Corinthians 2:12) are the only things we need to know now. A lot of the reason we grow so upset and disturbed about not hearing specifically from God is that we want what isn’t “freely given.” When we pray, “Lord, show me Your will,” we’re often asking for things that He knows are not pertinent for another twenty years. We want God to paint the whole picture right away, but He wisely withholds certain truths and information from us until we need it, when we can actually do something with it besides just mess it up.” 4 likes