Start by marking “To Go Singing Through the World: The Childhood of Pablo Neruda” as Want to Read:
To Go Singing Through the World: The Childhood of Pablo Neruda

To Go Singing Through the World: The Childhood of Pablo Neruda

Pablo Neruda grew up in the rough and wild frontier town of Temuco, Chile. His father was a railroad man and not inclined to draw out the introspective boy. However, his stepmother, descended from the Mapuche people, was gentle and nurturing and told him stories of Chile's native people. But in her husband's presence, she was as silent as Pablo. So the child found refuge i ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about To Go Singing Through the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Go Singing Through the World

Zen Shorts by Jon J. MuthExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettOver and Under the Snow by Kate MessnerThe Wall by Peter SísEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. Sterling
Best Artwork in Children's Books
81st out of 97 books — 13 voters
Martin de Porres by Gary D. SchmidtEsperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz RyanYum! MmMm! Que Rico! by Pat MoraAristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SáenzReturn to Sender by Julia Alvarez
Américas Award Books
109th out of 174 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Jul 23, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Neruda’s writing; shy children; children who stutter; children who enjoy nature & writing
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Ha! Writing poems in his math notebook. I think many children will identify.

This is a lovingly created book about Pablo Neruda, mostly covering the first sixteen years of his life.

This poetic book is a biography about Neruda, and a significant amount of the story uses his own poetry and prose writings. It was a smart and lovely choice to write this book using Neruda’s own words. He was a shy child, who stuttered and at times had elective mutism, who was both afraid of nature (the nearby volcano)
Kathryn
Jul 14, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Oh, WOW! This is SUCH a great book! I am really, really happy I took a chance and bought a copy used and I'm sad to see there are only seven reviews of this gem here on GoodReads. It deserves to be better known!

This is the story of Pablo Neruda's boyhood up to the time he left for college at the age of sixteen. Deborah Kogan Ray has done a remarkable job, not only of beautifully weaving her own words, but of weaving excerpts of Neruda's poetry and prose in with her narrative in a seamless fashio
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Pablo Neruda has long been among my favorite poets. Deborah Kogan Ray uses colorful images, poetic prose, and Neruda's own words to tell the story of his childhood in a small Chilean town in the mountains. Though Neruda was painfully shy to the point of being mute at times, and uncomfortable around strangers, he found an outlet for his words in writing poetry. I think it was more than coincidence that Gabriela Mistral, a Nobel Prize winning poet, came to his small town, out of all the places in ...more
Earl
May 29, 2016 Earl rated it really liked it
An absolutely beautiful book that tells the story of Pablo Neruda's childhood and the places and people that/who inspired him to be a poet. I love that excerpts of his poetry are included in the text. I wouldn't mind a continuing tale in this format. That would be cool- a nonfiction picture book series of one person.
Rachel
Loved this book! I randomly picked it up while looking at biographies in the children section. Pablo Neruda has been one of my favorite poets since college, when I fell in love with his love poems after seeing the film "Il Postino." I didn't know anything about his childhood, so this book was very intriguing. His father worked for the Chilean railroad and his stepmother who raised him, Dona Trinidad, was a native Indian of the region. I love the way the author interspersed Neruda's thoughts and ...more
Mary
Mar 21, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
This is the second biography of Pablo Neruda I have read today -- both for children. While this is also a "picture book" biography, it is suited to older children. It contains more information and much more sophisticated language. The title comes from a line of Neruda's poetry, "I have come out of that landscape, that mud, that silence, to roam, to go singing through the world." And did you know that Gabriela Mistral was Neruda's school principal?
Christi
Nov 19, 2008 Christi rated it really liked it
Shelves: thekids, me
GREAT book. I really liked it. It had a basic enough story line that PB liked it, but I loved it. I loved how she told the story using quotes from Neruda's writings. Fabulous book. One of Neruda's poems is printed on the last pages in both Spanish and English-more beautiful in Spanish. It did take us two days to get through it with PB and Mei Mei though.
Cindi
Mar 10, 2009 Cindi rated it it was amazing
We were inspired by the story of Pablo Neruda. The challenges he had, the people placed in his path to help him through. This book not only tells his story, but also includes his words and poems plus more biographical information at the back of the book. It was also interesting to learn about turn of the century Chile.
Miri
There were several different biographies of Pablo Neruda on the shelf, so I thought I'd compare them and I'm glad I did. This one is even better than the first one (which I also liked); the illustrations are just gorgeous, and sections of Neruda's poetry and prose are blended into the narrative text. It's lovely.
Rebecca
Apr 26, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This children's biography introduced me to the life of Pablo Neruda, probably the most famous poet from Chile. It was well written, with good illustrations. I read it with some students for National Poetry Month, pairing the bio with some of Pablo's poems.
Oct 27, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
An exceptional juvenile biography of Pablo Neruda's childhood. The pictures were lovely as were the words. I especially enjoyed the excerpts from Neruda's memoirs and poems. Two thumbs, way up.
Jacqueline
Jul 05, 2009 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
I applaud this book for bringing attention to a great Latin American poet many children in the US may not already know about. Lyrically written.
Thorin
Nov 22, 2011 Thorin rated it really liked it
Read this to Ruby over the course of a few nights.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Matthew J.
Matthew J. marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
GatheringBooks
GatheringBooks rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Eugene Evasco
Eugene Evasco rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Mrs. Miriam
Mrs. Miriam rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Katie
Katie added it
Jun 24, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015