Start by marking “The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind” as Want to Read:
The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind

The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind

If you put aside what you think you know about Jesus and approach the Gospels as though for the first time, something remarkable happens: Jesus emerges as a teacher of the transformation of consciousness. Cynthia Bourgeault is a masterful guide to Jesus's vision and to the traditional contemplative practices you can use to experience the heart of his teachings for yourself ...more
Published August 12th 2008 by Shambhala Publications (Boston/London) (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Wisdom Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wisdom Jesus

Eleanor Stoneham
Nov 11, 2012 Eleanor Stoneham rated it it was amazing
What is wrong with modern Christianity? Did Christianity get off on the wrong foot almost from its inception? That is the thesis of this thought provoking and challenging book, a fascinating new take on the Jesus Christ we thought we were familiar with.

The starting point of the book is the Gospel of Thomas, restored to us when it was found among the Nag Hammadi scrolls in the Egyptian desert in 1945. These scrolls date back to early Christianity, being at least as old as the four canonical gospe
Bruce
Dec 27, 2008 Bruce rated it it was amazing
Wisdom is not what you believe about Jesus or even what know about him. Wisdom is when you encounter him, recognize him, and enter the mind of Christ.

Bourgeault, an Episcopal priest, goes through familiar canonical gospel material, the beatitudes and hard parables, and the “Gnostic” gospel of Thomas to explicate how Jesus asks us to free ourselves from our primitive selfish nature and by emptying the self make room for the divine. It is the path of kenosis, the path of self-emptying love.

“The
Naomi
Mar 12, 2015 Naomi rated it it was amazing
I didn't consider myself Christian when starting this book. I heard a talk of Cynthia's that made me want to carry on the conversation. I loved this book. There's so much that I need to re-read to understand more fully and I know this has that internal kernel of truth which excites and inspires me. Ultimately it is the idea of oneness with the creator which has jump started me down a new and lovely path. Thank you Cynthia .
JoAnn   W.
Mar 02, 2013 JoAnn W. rated it it was amazing
I found this a very heavy book that takes a lot of concentration, mainly for me because there was so much brand new material in it. The author, an Episcopal priest and mystic, knows her subjects and has a fine intellect, so is not just a "touchy-feely" New Ager.

She uses the latest discovered, ancient texts, the history of Christian mysticism, recent psychological theory and Eastern thought to promote her hypothesis and make her case.

To me this is a book that needs to be read more than once for t
Erica
Jan 31, 2010 Erica rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Cynthia Bourgeault has incredible insight into the deep meanings of Jesus' teachings that go far beyond the literal (and superficial, in my opinion) interpretations of his teachings. She is an Episcopal priest who has a deep intimate relationship with her spirituality which is not limited by concepts and dogma. After reading this book, I became increasingly interested in the Gospel of Thomas (which she quotes quite often). I feel like I have been renewed to the wisd ...more
Elaine
Jul 18, 2011 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
I read this last week with a dear friend. Its reading made a mini retreat for bothh of us.

The author is an Episcopal Priest. The basis of her book is Kenoia (being in the mind and heart of Jesus) as opposed to the duality and conflict,dogmatism and doctrinal teaching (some of which are not really doctrine) that most of us have grown up with in our religious training.

Each chapter presents very thoughtful insight (I will read the book again) enough to munch on and meditate upon.

Ms. Bourgeault use
Alison
May 07, 2010 Alison rated it it was amazing
Cynthia is a gift and one of the few modern theologians - that I have read - who can bring Christ and his teachings to life and relevance 2,000 years later. I thank her for continuing to breath fresh air into the life of Jesus and revive the true mysticism of his teachings and his ways. There is no forcing of belief with this work...rather a presentation that captures the soul's own yearning to believe and entices the relief of surrender.
Kathleen Dixon
Aug 24, 2010 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: Anne Moller
As I've written in each of my progress updates, I've really enjoyed this book, and there are insights from here that I will be able to use in worship and with study groups.

I'll just note a little from the last chapter:
p.186 {quoting from Gurdjieff, with regards to The Last Supper] Jesus .. opened up a classic "subtle body" channel between himself and them, using bread and wine as the specific vehicles of his presence.

.. the bread and wine became an instantiation, "a specific instance," of his ow
Adam Ross
Dec 29, 2015 Adam Ross rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book because it came with an endorsement by Richard Rohr, the Franciscan monk who has meant so much to me in my growth as a person and as a Christian. This book by Cynthia Bourgeault may well be one of my favorite books of the 2015 reading year. I don't agree with everything to be found here, but the meat of the book is so extraordinary and so helpful for those with eyes to see and ears to hear that I didn't even mind. Early in the book she declares that Jesus had no interest at ...more
Debora Smith
Jul 11, 2013 Debora Smith rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkable book which changes and enhances what you were ever taught about Jesus and Christianity. Jesus did not come to start a church - he came to share his wisdom via a path of inner transformation. Who knew the "New Age" started so long ago!? Challenging and transformative - seeing the Kingdom of Heaven as a state of consciousness....shifting our perception from our minds to our hearts. The end of the book describes Christian Wisdom Practices: centering prayer meditation, sacred re ...more
Katherine
Nov 13, 2014 Katherine rated it it was amazing
I reluctantly accepted the loan of this book from a friend who inscribed it, "Please return this to me so I can share it with others." Now I know why. I am getting my own copy, and giving copies to my meditation group. Cynthia's intellect and insight have "saved" Christianity for me. One of the reviews said it so well, "Cynthia Bourgeault needs to be read by everyone trying to make sense of a Christianity that has been tainted over the centuries. She returns us home. Her wisdom gives me great ho ...more
Jean Marie Angelo
Jan 02, 2015 Jean Marie Angelo rated it it was amazing
This is a thoughtful and scholarly theory about Jesus and his teachings. It provides answers and perspective to someone like me — a follower of Jesus who has always felt that there was more to his ministry and mission than what was written in the scripture stories that became the New Testament. Especially helpful was the review of the Christian wisdom practices: centering prayer; lectio divina; Tazie chant; welcome; and Eucharist.
Jean Doane
Aug 23, 2015 Jean Doane rated it it was amazing
This will be the text for an online course I will be taking beginning September 15. The instructor is the author, Cynthia Bourgeault. I am looking forward to reading it again at a slower pace and savoring it. I hope to incorporate the practice of centering prayer as part of my daily routine. That is an audacious goal. Even if I do not attain it, I will gain from encountering this expansive understanding of Jesus and his teachings.
Scott Beddingfield
Mar 28, 2015 Scott Beddingfield rated it it was amazing
Outstanding new look at Christ. Helpful to me in both my practice but also with scripture interpretation (especially Gospel)Interesting take on Paul and the Christian Church. Bonus chapter with practical suggestions for Centering Prayer/meditation that in some ways seemed more helpful than her "Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening."
Daniel
Mar 06, 2014 Daniel rated it did not like it
Shelves: religious
The notional concept behind this book is one with which I largely agree: namely, that Jesus was a teacher of the wisdom tradition. His heavy reliance upon parables and the mystic quality of many of his pronouncements bear witness to this, and the rich history of wisdom teachers in that age makes this a perfectly reasonable and rational assumption.

Where I strongly disagree with Bourgeault, however, is in her casual dismissal of canonical scripture, her elevation of the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas ab
Kate
Mar 03, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Mixed feelings about this one. I almost gave it a three, but I did appreciate a lot of what she's trying to do--re-imagine Christianity in light of the Nag Hammadi scriptures. Christianity, as traditionally imagined in the Western mind, is in trouble. Bourgeault is attempting to bring us back to these early texts that were only recently discovered and even more recently researched by scholars. They indicate a much more mystical understanding of the faith--one that appeals to me greatly. But she ...more
Paul Rack
Feb 25, 2016 Paul Rack rated it it was amazing
Outstanding summary of the spirituality of Jesus and Christianity, using the Wisdom tradition. She depends a bit too much on the Gospel of Thomas and occasionally quotes without footnotes common misinformation about the early church. However, this book is a tour de force showing Jesus as a revolutionary, non-dual thinker. It is well-written, and opens up a whole new understanding of Jesus' mission and ours as disciples. Highly, highly recommended.
Matthew Hundley
Mar 27, 2014 Matthew Hundley rated it it was ok
I like to challenge myself to read books about Jesus that don't necessarily fit with my beliefs. There are points in The Wisdom Jesus, such as Bourgeault's explication of the beatitudes which was brilliant. But most of the time her "all roads" and "zen" laden conversation about Christ got a bit too off the narrow road...at least for me.
Kathy
Jul 02, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This has got to be the most mind blowing book on Jesus I've ever read; I took notes and go back to them frequently. I want to memorize them!
Kim Owens
May 07, 2015 Kim Owens rated it it was amazing
This was a life changer for me. Love this book.
Amanda
Jan 03, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This book completely shifted my understanding of Christianity and Jesus. Powerful.
Alonzo
Interesting read. Some of it had a somewhat New Agey feel, but that is probably because it was just a different angle on some of the ideas that are presented. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, just a little different than I'm used to, even when it comes to the mystic ideas.

I really liked her take on the Eucharist: I won't give details, but I will say it breathed fresh life into the idea for me, and it concerns the relationship idea.

If you are interested in the Wisdom and/or mystic side of Chr
Roger Butts
Feb 21, 2016 Roger Butts rated it really liked it
I taught a class on this book at Unity Spiritual Center in the Rockies. It went over very well as an adult faith formation class. It lead to deep conversation about lots of things, but especially the Gospel of Thomas. I recommend pastors use this as a book to launch good conversation. It is especially good for those who are interested in non dualism and mysticism and the contemplative way.
Peggy Lo
Jan 07, 2011 Peggy Lo rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I really enjoyed her different perspective on Jesus and his message. To borrow a cooking term, it's like fusion. But at the same time she's trying to look back and look what Jesus originally taught. In some ways it's similar to Richard Rohr's the Naked Now but more personal in tone and she walks through several suggested practices at the end.
Debbie
Jul 23, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing
We used this book as a study class at my church - it was transformational for many - especially those who have a hard time with traditional church. The traditional truths are still there, but perhaps viewed through a different lens so more people can see it.
Kathleen
Jul 13, 2012 Kathleen rated it liked it
A refreshing way of looking at the person of Christ, and his ability to transform through his teachings. If more Christians would follow Bourgeault's interpretations people would be flocking to this faith.
Christopher Miller
Mar 18, 2016 Christopher Miller rated it it was amazing
A totally new way to look at Jesus' teaching, with methods for getting in touch with your inner knowing. Brilliantly done.
Cjqviola
Jan 12, 2010 Cjqviola is currently reading it
GREEAATTT Book!!
Matthew
Oct 26, 2016 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: occult-knowledge
Well, after years of dodging my very wise mother's suggestion that I would find great value in this book I finally picked it up. Bourgeault's exploration of the New Testament and Jesus through the lense of the universal wisdom traditions of the world is simply fascinating. I couldn't help but feel a sense of "ahah! Ahah! THAT'S where the Jesus I can get into has been hiding."

Of course, drawback-wise: it's challenging to add another reason to be fed up with the Christian Church as we receive it
Connie
Jan 30, 2017 Connie rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a study class at church. It presents Jesus through the lens of wisdom teacher, and the author explores Jesus messages in the light of the wisdom traditions. The two main takeaways I got are that Jesus teaches us to experience a unitive consciousness, which is the kingdom of heaven, in which we are already connected to him and to all creation. To do this, we need to step away from the mind-made constructs of the ego. Second, Jesus teaches the "kenotic path." This is th ...more
  • The Naked Now: Learning to See as the Mystics See
  • Open Mind, Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel
  • The Inner Experience: Notes on Contemplation
  • Introducing Liberation Theology
  • The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages
  • Original Blessing
  • The Dark Night of the Soul: A Psychiatrist Explores the Connection Between Darkness and Spiritual Growth
  • The Heart of Christianity: Rediscovering a Life of Faith
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • The Cloud of Unknowing and The Book of Privy Counseling
  • On Job: God-Talk and the Suffering of the Innocent
  • The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World's Religions
  • Gratefulness, The Heart Of Prayer: An Approach To Life In Fullness
  • Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words
  • Integral Spirituality
  • Show Me The Way: Readings for Each Day of Lent
  • Without Buddha I Could not be a Christian
  • Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening

“As we enter the path of transformation, the most valuable thing we have working in our favor is our yearning.” 11 likes
“Jesus never asked anyone to form a church, ordain priests, develop elaborate rituals and institutional cultures, and splinter into denominations. His two great requests were that we “love one another as I have loved you” and that we share bread and wine together as an open channel of that interabiding love.” 7 likes