Start by marking “Attila: The Scourge of God” as Want to Read:
Attila: The Scourge of God

Attila: The Scourge of God

Early fifth century AD. The Western Roman Empire has been overrun by German tribes. Too weak to expel them, the Imperial government has been forced to grant federate status to the invaders. Aetius, the last of the great Roman generals, becomes the virtual ruler of the West over the heads of a weak and vicious emperor and his ambitious mother. In a series of brilliant campa ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Birlinn Ltd (first published October 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Attila, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attila

Iset
Didn't hit the mark for me.

The premise was sound, I thought - an interesting time in history, chock full of big personalities and momentous events - and Laidlaw seems to have done his research - the author includes a discussion on this topic, and each chapter is opened with a quotation from a primary or secondary source. The characters showed seeds of greatness - Boniface, Aetius, Attila - all three, I got the sense, had the capacity to be compelling, fascinating characters. Even the fictional "
Shauna
Feb 14, 2008 Shauna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-malachi
AACK! He read ahead and oh man did he have some comments to make about inappropriate materials. YIKES. I have to be more on top of things, and staying ahead of his reading!

Oh man am I having a hard time getting into this book. But, Malachi wants to study about Attila the Hun. We have two we are reading. (He is listening to it on CD and then we talk about it) Then he "earns" time on AGe of Empires to fight as Attila. It worked well when we read Ghengis Khan by Harold Lamb (we really liked that on
Shay
Aug 16, 2011 Shay rated it it was ok
Note to authors- do not name a book after a character, famous or not- and then have him appear in less than a fourth of the book. The reader is bound to be disappointed- I was. In the first quarter of the book, Attila appears 3 times for maybe a page or two each mention. Even for the balance of the book, I think Attila is maybe in 50 or so pages. Plus the book was on the boring side. 2 stars- and I think I'm being generous.
Angel Serrano
Imperio Romano de Occidente. Siglo V d. C. En las postrimerías del Imperio todos los enemigos rodean a la debilitada presa: Roma. La única carta a jugar es la diplomacia, pero las intrigas internas serán su perdición. Atila es el enemigo de referencia mientras la capital del Imperio es prisionera de su historia.
Joseph Nicoletti
I want my money back

This book is poorly assembled and the characters are under developed. The author tries to hard to make an elaborate story and ends up coming away with nothing. Hard to get through the book is like a series of incomplete short stories. Attila appears half way into the book which is odd being the title is Attila.
Peter
Dec 17, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it
Should have been titled Aetius, as Attila only plays a supporting role. Otherwise, an accessible read on the decline of the Western Roman Empire and it's interactions with the main tribes within Europe.
Raymond Walker
A wonderful tale, well told, of the relationship between the the huns and Rome.
An excellent piece of historic fiction bordering on fact.
A good story well told and a teller of historical fiction that we all should watch.
I have already ordered his next book.
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Highly recommended. This book has made me want to research the fall of the Roman Empire and the early dark ages further. Enjoyable, easy to read, gripping, informative - what more could you ask for?
David Barkley
David Barkley rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
May 14, 2009
Spike
Spike rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Tuna Şaroğlu
Tuna Şaroğlu rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Thomas J Porto
Thomas J Porto rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Matt Stacey
Matt Stacey rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Des Pemberton
Des Pemberton rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2010
Jay Couling
Jay Couling rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Jens
Jens rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Ozgur Guler
Ozgur Guler rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Geert Vandenweghe
Geert Vandenweghe rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Samsara
Samsara rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2010
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Natali Bruce
Natali Bruce rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Gokhan
Gokhan rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2012
Matt Hansen
Matt Hansen rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Challiceangel
Challiceangel rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ross Laidlaw is a Scottish writer of historical, thriller and spy fiction.

Laidlaw was born in Aberdeen and now lives in East Lothian. He attended the University of Cambridge and has spent time working and traveling in southern Africa. In 1979, while working as a geography and history teacher at Belhaven Hill School near Dunbar, Laidlaw's first book was released, The Lion is Rampant, receiving sign
More about Ross Laidlaw...