Start by marking “Attila: The Scourge of God” as Want to Read:
Attila: The Scourge of God

Attila: The Scourge of God

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Early fifth century AD. The Western Roman Empire has been overrun by German tribes. Too weak to expel them, the Imperial government has been forced to grant federate status to the invaders. Aetius, the last of the great Roman generals, becomes the virtual ruler of the West over the heads of a weak and vicious emperor and his ambitious mother. In a series of brilliant campa ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Birlinn Ltd (first published October 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Attila, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attila

Iset
Didn't hit the mark for me.

The premise was sound, I thought - an interesting time in history, chock full of big personalities and momentous events - and Laidlaw seems to have done his research - the author includes a discussion on this topic, and each chapter is opened with a quotation from a primary or secondary source. The characters showed seeds of greatness - Boniface, Aetius, Attila - all three, I got the sense, had the capacity to be compelling, fascinating characters. Even the fictional "
Joseph Nicoletti
I want my money back

This book is poorly assembled and the characters are under developed. The author tries to hard to make an elaborate story and ends up coming away with nothing. Hard to get through the book is like a series of incomplete short stories. Attila appears half way into the book which is odd being the title is Attila.
Shauna
AACK! He read ahead and oh man did he have some comments to make about inappropriate materials. YIKES. I have to be more on top of things, and staying ahead of his reading!

Oh man am I having a hard time getting into this book. But, Malachi wants to study about Attila the Hun. We have two we are reading. (He is listening to it on CD and then we talk about it) Then he "earns" time on AGe of Empires to fight as Attila. It worked well when we read Ghengis Khan by Harold Lamb (we really liked that on
Shay
Note to authors- do not name a book after a character, famous or not- and then have him appear in less than a fourth of the book. The reader is bound to be disappointed- I was. In the first quarter of the book, Attila appears 3 times for maybe a page or two each mention. Even for the balance of the book, I think Attila is maybe in 50 or so pages. Plus the book was on the boring side. 2 stars- and I think I'm being generous.
Angel Serrano
Imperio Romano de Occidente. Siglo V d. C. En las postrimerías del Imperio todos los enemigos rodean a la debilitada presa: Roma. La única carta a jugar es la diplomacia, pero las intrigas internas serán su perdición. Atila es el enemigo de referencia mientras la capital del Imperio es prisionera de su historia.
Peter
Should have been titled Aetius, as Attila only plays a supporting role. Otherwise, an accessible read on the decline of the Western Roman Empire and it's interactions with the main tribes within Europe.
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Highly recommended. This book has made me want to research the fall of the Roman Empire and the early dark ages further. Enjoyable, easy to read, gripping, informative - what more could you ask for?
Jesse
Great story! I'd read it again!
Adam Edwards
enjoyable historical fiction
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Renzo
Renzo marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
David Alan
David Alan marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Mario Gaspar-ayala
Mario Gaspar-ayala marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ross Laidlaw is a Scottish writer of historical, thriller and spy fiction.

Laidlaw was born in Aberdeen and now lives in East Lothian. He attended the University of Cambridge and has spent time working and traveling in southern Africa. In 1979, while working as a geography and history teacher at Belhaven Hill School near Dunbar, Laidlaw's first book was released, The Lion is Rampant, receiving sign
More about Ross Laidlaw...
Theoderic Justinian: The Sleepless One Theodoric Aphra Behn The Lion Is Rampant