Start by marking “Preaching for Special Services” as Want to Read:
Preaching for Special Services

Preaching for Special Services

Sooner or later, every pastor will be called on to conduct special services. Baptisms, weddings, funerals, infant presentations, and evangelistic services, each in their own way, challenge pastors to find the right words to mark the occasion.
Preaching for Special Services will help pastors prepare sermons for these special services. Each chapter explores a different occas
Published April 1st 2001 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Preaching for Special Services, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preaching for Special Services

Stephen Hiemstra
Aug 29, 2016 Stephen Hiemstra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pastors and seminary students
One of the more perplexing challenges that pastors face is always being on call. Recently, the pastor on duty at a luncheon I attend got caught up in traffic; I found myself presented with an unexpected mic. For a plodder, someone who always works from a 5-year plan, these special occasions can be especially challenging.

In his book, Preaching for Special Services, Scott Gibson writes:

“A pastor must be able to step with ease into a number of different speaking venues. In addition to a regular pre
Peter Mead
Jul 26, 2014 Peter Mead rated it really liked it
They say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. In this case I think you shouldn’t judge a book by its size. This short one-hundred page book is well worth having for several reasons that I will list below. Honestly, I only picked it up in order to scan it and make space for a new book on my “preaching books to read” shelf. I’m glad I did.

This book is focused on “special services.” That means weddings, funerals, baptisms, infant presentations, the Lord’s Supper and a selection of other events
Drew
Drew rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2011
Grant Buchholtz
Grant Buchholtz rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Joshua
Joshua rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Levi Jones
Levi Jones rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Christopher Rappazini
Christopher Rappazini rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Victor Han
Victor Han is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
Joe Foltz
Joe Foltz marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Peter Whyte
Peter Whyte marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
John Rhee
John Rhee is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2016
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2016