Start by marking “Rational Theology” as Want to Read:
Rational Theology

Rational Theology

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The decades framing the turn of the twentieth century constituted a period of progressive optimism, of increasing faith in science and technology, and of character-building education—vividly illustrated in the founding of Christian Science, for example, and in the Latter-day Saint magazine, theImprovement Era.In keeping with the times, it is not surprising that former prof ...more
Published January 15th 1998 by Signature Books (first published November 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Rational Theology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rational Theology

The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Jesus the Christ by James E. TalmageHoly Bible by AnonymousStanding for Something by Gordon B. HinckleyThe Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
Best LDS non-fiction
76th out of 194 books — 239 voters
The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Holy Bible by AnonymousJesus the Christ by James E. TalmagePreach My Gospel by The Church of Jesus Christ ...Lectures on Faith by Joseph Smith Jr.
Best of LDS Theology
44th out of 91 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Carla
Jan 04, 2015 Carla rated it it was ok
I'll give him this: the book doesn't set out to define LDS theology in relation/superior to any other faith tradition or theology. He spends no time saying "we don't believe this, like those silly Catholics" or anything like that. What he has to share are positive definitions, and his whole argument is easy to understand too. He's not condescending or patronizing or arrogant, which made it more pleasant to read even if I didn't agree with his conclusions.

In spite of the positives, I didn't find
Rachel
Jul 11, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
i loved this book. his writing style is somewhat hard to get used to but once u adjust its phenomenal. some much to learn in this life. i want to purchase this book, it was that good!
K.Q. Webster
Aug 20, 2011 K.Q. Webster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-lds
This is one of the most inspiring books I have ever come across. It gave me ideas that has never occurred to me and probably never would have if not for this book. You come away from reading it ready to read it again because you know you have forgotten so much already. There are so many doctrinal gems embedded in the book that it would take years to pull them all out.
Marc
Sep 20, 2010 Marc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Elder Widtsoe covers the beliefs of the LDS church with more detail and depth than we often do today. It was an enjoyable and easy read.

I recommend the book to anyone interested in LDS beliefs and don't forget the appendix where Elder Widtsoe gives the scriptural references for all of the topics.
Jeff
Dec 02, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Those needing a scientific & rational explanation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as practiced by the Church of Jesus Christ will be completely satisfied! Required reading for all disciples of Christ! Read! You will not be disappointed!
Nick
Apr 12, 2013 Nick rated it it was amazing
Increased my faith. Provided a "why" for several areas of doctrine I hadn't considered.
Ernie Dawson
Mar 11, 2010 Ernie Dawson rated it really liked it
Elder Widstoe presents from pretty mind boggling material.
Matthew Kern
Jul 15, 2012 Matthew Kern rated it liked it
Solid rational and science-friendly view to Mormonism.
David
David is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2016
Rachelle
Rachelle rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Jeff Van
Jeff Van marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Christi
Christi marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
YrBluemoon
YrBluemoon marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Skyler Paxman
Skyler Paxman rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Jamison
Jamison marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
AD
AD is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Don Tintle
Don Tintle rated it it was ok
May 18, 2015
Apo
Apo marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Josef Miyasato
Josef Miyasato marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Phyllis F Elmore
Phyllis F Elmore rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2015
Jerry
Jerry rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

“True freedom, which is full joy, is the complete recognition of law and adaptation to it. Bondage comes from ignorance of law or opposition to it.” 5 likes
“Man must learn to know the universe precisely as it is, or he cannot successfully find his place in it. A man should therefore use his reasoning faculty in all matters involving truth, and especially as concerning his religion. He must learn to distinguish between truth and error.” 4 likes