Start by marking “Rational Theology” as Want to Read:
Rational Theology

Rational Theology

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The decades framing the turn of the twentieth century constituted a period of progressive optimism, of increasing faith in science and technology, and of character-building education—vividly illustrated in the founding of Christian Science, for example, and in the Latter-day Saint magazine, theImprovement Era.In keeping with the times, it is not surprising that former prof ...more
Published January 15th 1998 by Signature Books (first published November 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Rational Theology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rational Theology

The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Jesus the Christ by James E. TalmageHoly Bible by AnonymousStanding for Something by Gordon B. HinckleyThe Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
Best LDS non-fiction
77th out of 192 books — 235 voters
The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Holy Bible by AnonymousJesus the Christ by James E. TalmagePreach My Gospel by The Church of Jesus Christ ...Lectures on Faith by Joseph Smith Jr.
Best of LDS Theology
44th out of 91 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

I'll give him this: the book doesn't set out to define LDS theology in relation/superior to any other faith tradition or theology. He spends no time saying "we don't believe this, like those silly Catholics" or anything like that. What he has to share are positive definitions, and his whole argument is easy to understand too. He's not condescending or patronizing or arrogant, which made it more pleasant to read even if I didn't agree with his conclusions.

In spite of the positives, I didn't find
i loved this book. his writing style is somewhat hard to get used to but once u adjust its phenomenal. some much to learn in this life. i want to purchase this book, it was that good!
K.Q. Webster
This is one of the most inspiring books I have ever come across. It gave me ideas that has never occurred to me and probably never would have if not for this book. You come away from reading it ready to read it again because you know you have forgotten so much already. There are so many doctrinal gems embedded in the book that it would take years to pull them all out.
Elder Widtsoe covers the beliefs of the LDS church with more detail and depth than we often do today. It was an enjoyable and easy read.

I recommend the book to anyone interested in LDS beliefs and don't forget the appendix where Elder Widtsoe gives the scriptural references for all of the topics.
Those needing a scientific & rational explanation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as practiced by the Church of Jesus Christ will be completely satisfied! Required reading for all disciples of Christ! Read! You will not be disappointed!
Increased my faith. Provided a "why" for several areas of doctrine I hadn't considered.
Ernie Dawson
Elder Widstoe presents from pretty mind boggling material.
Matthew Kern
Solid rational and science-friendly view to Mormonism.
Jamison marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
AD is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2015
Darryl added it
Jul 07, 2015
Mike marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Apo marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Josef Firmage
Josef Firmage marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Eric marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Leonardo marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Lillian Torgersen damron
Lillian Torgersen damron marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Abia Aniekpeno
Abia Aniekpeno marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
John is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
Clayton Chase
Clayton Chase marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

“Man must learn to know the universe precisely as it is, or he cannot successfully find his place in it. A man should therefore use his reasoning faculty in all matters involving truth, and especially as concerning his religion. He must learn to distinguish between truth and error.” 4 likes
“True freedom, which is full joy, is the complete recognition of law and adaptation to it. Bondage comes from ignorance of law or opposition to it.” 4 likes