Start by marking “Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2)” as Want to Read:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind #2)

4.52  ·  Rating Details ·  2,043 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Princess Nausicaä has left the Valley of the Wind to join Princess Kushana's forces. However, Nausicaä gets separated from the Torumekian fleet and finds herself face to face with the mysterious Ohmu, who open their hearts to her. But will Nausicaä be able to interpret their urgent warning about the southern forest? And what of the war which rages all around her?
Published March 31st 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published August 25th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2

Akylina
Looks like the big introduction finished. I'm really looking forward to the events that will follow.
Mona
Jan 11, 2015 Mona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigo enamorada de la obra de Miyazaki y solo me han entrado más ganas de leer el próximo volumen. El diseño, claramente, sigue con la misma calidad. El único pero que tiene este cómic es que, al menos para mi, a veces es un poco confuso. No sé cuando son los Durku y cuando son los de Tormekia o qué avión está atacando o qué personaje es el nuestro. Un poco confuso pero se puede leer perfectamente, y se debe leer!
Tengo muchas ganas de terminar esta historia y de ver la adaptación de Ghibli.
Asami Uchiha
Sep 13, 2016 Asami Uchiha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars-2016
This was a great volume! I've discovered that the movie only covers volumes 1 and a 3/4 of volume 2. I can't wait to see what happens in volume 3.
Keely
I won't be continuing this any time soon. I got so confused and will need to start from the beginning..
Julia
I just don't think this series is for me. It's mostly warfare action. The majority of sentences have an exclamation point at the end, which I find a bit distracting...
Michael
Jul 18, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, manga
Onwards and forwards I plod amongst this book's pages. Omnomnom.
Hailey Chappell
Jan 23, 2017 Hailey Chappell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mallory (toweroftomes)
So interesting to see which parts of the manga made it into the film, and which were modified or cut out entirely. The world of Nausicaa is so much larger than most people know about. I love Nausicaa, she's fierce but gentle, and I admire her perseverance through the horrors she faces. Hayao Miyazaki is indeed a genius.
Nigel
Jan 02, 2017 Nigel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, childrens-ya
My experience of reading Nausicaa this time round is a bit of a jolt. I collected the old Viz issues assiduously when they came out, and read and reread them, but there were big gaps in my collection and big gaps of time between new issues. When I got these collections over a few years for my son I never got around to sitting down and reading the whole lot until now, and it is really hard to stop once started.

Nausicaa and Asbel escape from the forest only to be captured by a lurking Dorok ship w
Amy
There were some parts that I was pretty confused, with all those different tribes and stuff, but this manga had so much more to offer. The political situation of the different tribes is very intriguing. The artwork is crisp and organic, it is definitely old school but the details are just crazy!!!! There are so many characters that could not have been told through movies because of time limitation, but this is so much grander and deeper as a story and the message that Miyazaki's trying to convey ...more
Raj
Jul 18, 2010 Raj rated it really liked it
The second volume of the story of Princess Nausicaa, this widens and deepens the canvas of the story, showing us some more history of the world and more of the politics and factions that populate it. Nausicaa and the supporting characters are wonderfully drawn (metaphorically and literally) and the story keep hinting at more in an organic way that draws you in.

Miyazaki's tale of the dangers of ravaging the earth is poignant but never overbearing and I look forward to reading more of it.
Nathalie
Aug 09, 2011 Nathalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, sci-fi
In this volume we get to meet the antagonist of Nausicaa. It appears the doom hanging over the world is bigger than just a war between two large empires. As Nausicaa tries to figure out what is happening, she comes closer to the front lines. Can Asbel and Yupa reach her in time to help her?

The story is very interesting. You get a sense of impending doom. The world Miyazaki is building becomes more interesting with every frame you see.
Aaron Nickel
Volume 2 finds our heroine in the midst of the ravages of war between the Torumekian and Dorok armies. The Doroks are up to some really unsavory stuff while waging war, making them seem like the de facto bad guys for the time being. Miyazaki's unbelievable art adds to the heavy atmosphere of battle. Bring on volume 3!
Jessi
Apr 15, 2016 Jessi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a little serendipitous that I found this series. I was reading another manga and saw an ad for this in the back of the book, then the next day saw these at the library. This story has beautiful art and a deep engaging story. Now, I can watch the movie. As an aside, I'm unsure how they could possibly condense this series into one movie, but I'm sure it'll be great since it's Mayazaki.
Tom Meade
Things heat-up a bit in this episode with the discovery that the Dorok have engineered a deadly fungus which rapidly evolves beyond their control. Also, Nausicaa proves herself in battle, and Kui lays an egg after her mate, Kai, dies.
Shaun
Jun 03, 2011 Shaun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One thing I will say about these larger printings is that they really bring Miyazaki's narrative to life. I am seeing a lot of details that I don't remember from my read-through of the old manga-sized editions.
Jayme
Nothing really happened in this volume. It didn't get interesting at all until the very end of the book. And that was only because it was hinting at cool things to come. So hopefully there will be cool things to come...
Jacqueline Brocker
This series is so far EPIC, and this is only volume 2. Very different to the film, and so far am preferring the manga. Very worth the read for a Miyazaki fan, though I should reserve further judgment till I read all the volumes.
Kayla
Sep 20, 2013 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! I don't normally read comics/manga, but I saw the movie, and wanted to read the complete story. Nausicaa is an awesome character!

"That foolish child... does does she mean to protect the whole world by herself? My Nausicaa..." - King Jhil
Kirsten
Even better than the first volume -- I could barely put it down. But my library doesn't have the third one! CURSES!
Devero
Aug 31, 2013 Devero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prosegue la saga di Nausicaa della Valle del Vento, lettura consigliata a chiunque appena appena se ne intenda di fumetto, o arte sequenziale che dir si voglia.
Starbubbles
i sort of read this out of order. meaning, this one first. i think the movie would be awesome to see. it is most certainly imaginative.
Alexander Case
I'm rather surprised that this book basically reaches the conclusion of the film in the second volume, but with several more volumes to go.
Donald Fite
Apr 19, 2014 Donald Fite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I'm in No Man's Land now. More mysticism and prophecy than the story I'm used to. The amount of violence is surprising as well. At times I'm reminded of Princess Mononoke as well.
Michael
via NYPL - still muddled, but becoming clearer. Interesting themes, not quite fully realized as a story.
James
Jul 09, 2016 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last half I thought was very good. There were a bit too many airship battles though, which I find to be a bit tedious.
Deb
Aug 07, 2007 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Miyazaki & epic story fans
Shelves: manga, favorites
This series is slow to pick up the pace, but stick with it until the 3rd or 4th book and you'll be amazed at how much more depth & addicting storyline the books have than the movie.
James
Aug 28, 2015 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comicbooks
Excellent series. The anime didn't really get into the mind powers as much as the manga does. It's quite well done.
Ted Child
May 28, 2010 Ted Child rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It amazes me how patient some manga storis are and how each new manga seems to exponentially improve the depth of the story.
Moves a little slowly, and I'm still having trouble reading right-to-left, but I'm hooked no, so I have no choice but to finish the series. :)
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
  • Akira, Vol. 4
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002 (Pluto, #2)
  • Phoenix, Vol. 2: Future
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 4 (Children of the Sea, #4)
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 16: Gateway into Winter
  • Mushishi, Vol. 5
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Six: Writing the Truth
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao Takahata, then to N
More about Hayao Miyazaki...

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (7 books)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #1)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #3)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #4)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 5 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #5)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 6 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #6)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 7 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #7)