Start by marking “Mister Dog: The Dog Who Belonged to Himself (Little Golden Book)” as Want to Read:
Mister Dog:  The Dog Who Belonged to Himself (Little Golden Book)

Mister Dog: The Dog Who Belonged to Himself (Little Golden Book)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  558 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Once upon a time there was a funny dog named Crispin’s Crispian. He was named Crispin’s Crispian because he belonged to himself.So begins the story of a dog who runs bang into a little boy, who also belongs to himself. This quirky, breathtakingly illustrated story is one of Margaret Wise Brown’s best.
Published May 13th 2003 by Golden Books (first published May 13th 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Mister Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mister Dog

Mike
Dec 29, 2012 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mike by: Shannon
Shelves: shannon
A brutal look at autonomy, conservatism, the inability for two solitudes to intersect, and little fat stomachs.
Lobstergirl
I don't understand how anyone can see the cover of this book and not immediately run out and buy it. What a cold dark soul you must have! There is one odd page where Brown describes how Mister Dog and the boy he befriends (who also belongs to himself) are conservatives. I think she means Burkean, not Limbaughian, but it's still kind of a weird moment.
Jay
Caution - Spoilers.

"Mr. Dog" (this is the original title of this book) is one of my favorite books of all time. My mother read it to me as a child (1950's) and I read to my own children. They turned out just fine, thank you, despite all the "bad influences" lurking in this book that people want to complain about. Margaret Wise Brown based Crispin's Crispian on her own dog (also named Crispin's Crispian). The literary Crispin's Crispian (the dog who belonged to himself) is an independent, kindly,
HeavyReader
I wasn't a huge fan of this book as a kid. It was in a large anthology of Little Golden Books. (I have no idea how that anthology came to our family, now that I think of it). I may have been in middle school before I read it.

What I remember about this book is that (like the title says) the dog belonged to himself. Also, there is a boy who belonged to himself. I think the book said something like he was "his very own boy." That really stuck with me. This story made it seem so reasonable for a per
Margaret Wise Brown wrote my favorite childhood book Home For a Bunny. She also wrote Goodnight Moon which is one of my favorite books to read to my kids. Surely I would love a book about Mister Dog the pipe smoking dog who belongs to himself!

It turns out Mister Dog is not his name. His name is actually Crispin's Crispian.
"His name was Crispin's Crispian because he belonged to himself."

Sure. That makes perfect sense.

This is one odd little book.
"He was a funny old dog. He liked Strawberries."

It s
Shannon
Where was the climax? I need a climax, damn it!!
Anna Gray
Really, really bizarre. But I should have expected that from a book that I only found because it was weird enough to be shared on buzzfeed and imgur.
Anna Nowinski
I think a dog kidnapped a little boy? Classic little golden books were strange...
Janel
Just have your child ignore the various animals smoking cigars/pipes throughout the book.
David Sarkies
Things were a lot different in 1952
12 February 2012

Well, here is another Little Golden Book that I found sitting next to my brother's computer, and since it would pretty much take me less that 5 minutes to read this book, I picked it up and read it. My initial impression was WTF? Seriously WTF? Is this book really a kids' book, and if it were to have been written today would anybody actually touch it? I think not (though it seems by glancing across the number of reviews of this book, I am in th
Asho
I remember being fascinated by this book as a kid, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why I liked it so much. It is WEIRD. In fact, I recommend reading this book just because it's so bizarre. The concept itself isn't too strange for a children's book, I suppose: a dog who belongs to himself meets a boy who belongs to himself and they end up going to the dog's house to live together (on second thought, it is strange, even for a children's book). It's clear that this book was written in a ...more
Tanya
Sep 29, 2014 Tanya added it
Shelves: 2014-book-list, ebook
This is quite possibly one of the weirdest things I've ever read. I came across it in a buzzfeed list of strange children's books. They chose it as weird because the cover showed a dog smoking a pipe. In the comments however someone made a comment about the cover being just the beginning. This was followed by an imgur of the entire book. And yes, the cover is only the beginning. I have no other words.
Carling Barker
Mister Dog is about Crispin's Crispian (aka Mister Dog) who belongs to no one. He befriends a little boy who belongs to no one and they decide to live together in the dog's 2 story doghouse. (I want to sleep in Mister Dog's bed, it just looks so comfy!)
This book is really cute and a little weird at the same time, but a good weird! A warning to some parents, it is like Curious George and has animals smoking tobacco pipes lol.
I also really love the illustrations and my son loves them too! Well r
Rachel
My 3 year old loves this book.
Tim
Mr Dog...what else can you say.
Lids
Dec 02, 2014 Lids rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lids by: the internet
a bizarre children's book
Carrie
Adorable book.
Mister Dog belongs to himself, he takes himself where he wants to go, and at night, he dreams his own dreams. But there is room in his life and his two story dog house for the boy who belonged to himself. I loved this book as a child and as a teenager. When I read it to my two-year old, we pretend to go inside Mister Dog's house with the boy who belonged to himself. More gentle nonsense from Margaret Wise Brown, this time with a liberating pulse.
Amar Pai
Singular tale of a dog who owns himself. He acquires a pet boy, but I guess not really a PET boy, because the boy also belongs to himself.

Hard to sum up, at least from half-assed memory, but it's funny and I really liked it.

There should be some category that includes both this and The Bear Who Wanted To Be A Bear.
Roland
I don't think many modern readers will pick up the Little Golden Books because of their great plots, since they don't have any. The story's OK and nothing really happens. The artwork is top notch, though, and that's the real reason to give these a look. I was also overcome with the urge to say "That's MISTER Dog to you!" when looking at the cover.
Vieve
Apr 12, 2008 Vieve rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Meet Crispans Crispian. He is a dog who belongs to himself. He meets a boy who belongs to himself and they live together in the dog's cozy little house...this is such a cute story and it is read almost daily in our house! "And what did he do with his food? He chewed it up and put it into his fat little stomach..."
Barbara
I read Mister Dog over and over again to my children. The language still resonates: “He was a funny old dog. He liked strawberries.” Mister Dog posted a No Cats sign in his yard which amused my kids to no end. Reading this book aloud always seemed comfortable and cozy. It’s a great bedtime book.
Diane
"Crispin's Crispian was a conservative." So Margaret Wise Brown describes the main character, a dog who belongs to himself.

This is my favorite childhood book of all time. I am hoarding the copies I can find at flea markets and used book sales so that I am never without a copy.
Merilyn
I read this book over and over as a child. I adored it so much I bought a copy for my daughter when she was a little girl. I still have it. I liked the story of an independent dog living in his own house and living his life, smoking a pipe and cooking. The artwork is fabulous.
Elizabeth Bolden
This book is kind of odd, but I had it when I was a kid so it's a nostalgia thing. I can't figure out what the point of the story is. Plus, there seems to be a political innuendo when the dog is called a conservative, but it's so totally random that it doesn't make sense.
lauren
Jan 12, 2008 lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody who likes a nice stew
Shelves: children, fiction
this was one of my all-time favorite books as a wee child, mostly because of the art and the hilarity of a "dog that belonged to himself".

became one of my favorite books as a wee adult, mostly because of the following line: "crispin's crispian was a conservative."
Thom
I loved this book when I was a kid; I dreamed of being a Crispin's Crispian and belonging to myself. His life seemed so simple and fun. Come to think of it, I still think it might not be such a bad way to live.
Robin
This book was, hands-down, my favourite as a kid. I loved that a dog would eat strawberries and that he "belonged to himself." I also loved his name, Crispin's Crispian. Definitely recommended!
Robin
Meet Crispin Crispian, a dog who "belongs only to himself." He has his own charming little house where he makes his own creative meals. His independent spirit is one every child will admire.
Jj
Had to give this book a 5 because it was one of my most favorite books when I was a kid. Many years ago a good friend found a copy and gave it to me for my birthday. What a treasure!
  • My First Counting Book
  • Four Little Kittens (Little Little Golden Book)
  • I Can Fly
  • We Help Mommy (Little Little Golden Book)
  • Catundra
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • Prayers for Children
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (A First Little Golden Book)
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • Butterwings
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Animals' Christmas Eve
  • Little Mommy
  • I'm a Little Teapot
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...
Goodnight Moon The Runaway Bunny Big Red Barn Home for a Bunny The Color Kittens