Start by marking “Mister Dog: The Dog Who Belonged to Himself” as Want to Read:
Mister Dog:  The Dog Who Belonged to Himself

Mister Dog: The Dog Who Belonged to Himself

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  685 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Once upon a time there was a funny dog named Crispin’s Crispian. He was named Crispin’s Crispian because he belonged to himself.So begins the story of a dog who runs bang into a little boy, who also belongs to himself. This quirky, breathtakingly illustrated story is one of Margaret Wise Brown’s best.
Published May 13th 2003 by Golden Books (first published May 13th 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Mister Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mister Dog

Mike
Dec 29, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mike by: Shannon
Shelves: shannon
A brutal look at autonomy, conservatism, the inability for two solitudes to intersect, and little fat stomachs.
Jay
Aug 18, 2014 Jay rated it it was amazing
Caution - Spoilers.

"Mr. Dog" (this is the original title of this book) is one of my favorite books of all time. My mother read it to me as a child (1950's) and I read to my own children. They turned out just fine, thank you, despite all the "bad influences" lurking in this book that people want to complain about. Margaret Wise Brown based Crispin's Crispian on her own dog (also named Crispin's Crispian). The literary Crispin's Crispian (the dog who belonged to himself) is an independent, kindly,
Lobstergirl
Apr 22, 2010 Lobstergirl rated it really liked it
I don't understand how anyone can see the cover of this book and not immediately run out and buy it. What a cold dark soul you must have! There is one odd page where Brown describes how Mister Dog and the boy he befriends (who also belongs to himself) are conservatives. I think she means Burkean, not Limbaughian, but it's still kind of a weird moment.
HeavyReader
I wasn't a huge fan of this book as a kid. It was in a large anthology of Little Golden Books. (I have no idea how that anthology came to our family, now that I think of it). I may have been in middle school before I read it.

What I remember about this book is that (like the title says) the dog belonged to himself. Also, there is a boy who belonged to himself. I think the book said something like he was "his very own boy." That really stuck with me. This story made it seem so reasonable for a per
Sep 29, 2014 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Margaret Wise Brown wrote my favorite childhood book Home For a Bunny. She also wrote Goodnight Moon which is one of my favorite books to read to my kids. Surely I would love a book about Mister Dog the pipe smoking dog who belongs to himself!

It turns out Mister Dog is not his name. His name is actually Crispin's Crispian.
"His name was Crispin's Crispian because he belonged to himself."

Sure. That makes perfect sense.

This is one odd little book.
"He was a funny old dog. He liked Strawberries."

It s
Anna Gray
Jun 24, 2015 Anna Gray rated it it was ok
Really, really bizarre. But I should have expected that from a book that I only found because it was weird enough to be shared on buzzfeed and imgur.
Shannon
Dec 29, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: michael
Where was the climax? I need a climax, damn it!!
Anna Nowinski
Jun 24, 2015 Anna Nowinski rated it it was ok
I think a dog kidnapped a little boy? Classic little golden books were strange...
Carling Barker
Feb 18, 2010 Carling Barker rated it it was amazing
Mister Dog is about Crispin's Crispian (aka Mister Dog) who belongs to no one. He befriends a little boy who belongs to no one and they decide to live together in the dog's 2 story doghouse. (I want to sleep in Mister Dog's bed, it just looks so comfy!)
This book is really cute and a little weird at the same time, but a good weird! A warning to some parents, it is like Curious George and has animals smoking tobacco pipes lol.
I also really love the illustrations and my son loves them too! Well r
Edelweiss
Why do I love this quirky little book so much?

It's just so - FUNNY. Funny in such a dry, solemn, deadpan sort of way.

I mean, how can you not love this:
'He was a funny old dog. He liked strawberries.'

and

'Crispin's Crispian was a conservative.'

And the pictures are very cute, too. (Incidentally, I doubt any child is going to want to take up smoking purely on the strength of an illustration of a dog puffing on a corncob pipe. My brothers and I certainly didn't.)

Definitely not an ordinary picture boo
Janel
Apr 11, 2009 Janel rated it it was amazing
Just have your child ignore the various animals smoking cigars/pipes throughout the book.
David Sarkies
Apr 13, 2014 David Sarkies rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Things were a lot different in 1952
12 February 2012

Well, here is another Little Golden Book that I found sitting next to my brother's computer, and since it would pretty much take me less that 5 minutes to read this book, I picked it up and read it. My initial impression was WTF? Seriously WTF? Is this book really a kids' book, and if it were to have been written today would anybody actually touch it? I think not (though it seems by glancing across the number of reviews of this book, I am in th
Asho
May 11, 2015 Asho rated it really liked it
I remember being fascinated by this book as a kid, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why I liked it so much. It is WEIRD. In fact, I recommend reading this book just because it's so bizarre. The concept itself isn't too strange for a children's book, I suppose: a dog who belongs to himself meets a boy who belongs to himself and they end up going to the dog's house to live together (on second thought, it is strange, even for a children's book). It's clear that this book was written in a ...more
Tanya
Sep 29, 2014 Tanya added it
Shelves: ebook, 2014-book-list
This is quite possibly one of the weirdest things I've ever read. I came across it in a buzzfeed list of strange children's books. They chose it as weird because the cover showed a dog smoking a pipe. In the comments however someone made a comment about the cover being just the beginning. This was followed by an imgur of the entire book. And yes, the cover is only the beginning. I have no other words.
Miss Kelly
Feb 09, 2016 Miss Kelly rated it it was ok
Strange picture book/Golden Book. This story is about a dog who lives by himself and a boy who comes to live with him.
Tara Calaby
Sep 06, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it liked it
This is quite a quirky little story, which I found rather amusing as a child.
Rachel
Dec 16, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My 3 year old loves this book.
Lids
Dec 02, 2014 Lids rated it it was ok
Recommended to Lids by: the internet
a bizarre children's book
Zizi
Nov 17, 2015 Zizi rated it it was amazing
very good
Nov 21, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Mister Dog belongs to himself, he takes himself where he wants to go, and at night, he dreams his own dreams. But there is room in his life and his two story dog house for the boy who belonged to himself. I loved this book as a child and as a teenager. When I read it to my two-year old, we pretend to go inside Mister Dog's house with the boy who belonged to himself. More gentle nonsense from Margaret Wise Brown, this time with a liberating pulse.
Amar Pai
Dec 18, 2013 Amar Pai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Singular tale of a dog who owns himself. He acquires a pet boy, but I guess not really a PET boy, because the boy also belongs to himself.

Hard to sum up, at least from half-assed memory, but it's funny and I really liked it.

There should be some category that includes both this and The Bear Who Wanted To Be A Bear.
Roland
Apr 08, 2008 Roland rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
I don't think many modern readers will pick up the Little Golden Books because of their great plots, since they don't have any. The story's OK and nothing really happens. The artwork is top notch, though, and that's the real reason to give these a look. I was also overcome with the urge to say "That's MISTER Dog to you!" when looking at the cover.
Vieve
Apr 12, 2008 Vieve rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Meet Crispans Crispian. He is a dog who belongs to himself. He meets a boy who belongs to himself and they live together in the dog's cozy little house...this is such a cute story and it is read almost daily in our house! "And what did he do with his food? He chewed it up and put it into his fat little stomach..."
Barbara
Apr 17, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I read Mister Dog over and over again to my children. The language still resonates: “He was a funny old dog. He liked strawberries.” Mister Dog posted a No Cats sign in his yard which amused my kids to no end. Reading this book aloud always seemed comfortable and cozy. It’s a great bedtime book.
Diane
Feb 01, 2008 Diane rated it it was amazing
"Crispin's Crispian was a conservative." So Margaret Wise Brown describes the main character, a dog who belongs to himself.

This is my favorite childhood book of all time. I am hoarding the copies I can find at flea markets and used book sales so that I am never without a copy.
Merilyn
Oct 26, 2011 Merilyn rated it it was amazing
I read this book over and over as a child. I adored it so much I bought a copy for my daughter when she was a little girl. I still have it. I liked the story of an independent dog living in his own house and living his life, smoking a pipe and cooking. The artwork is fabulous.
Elizabeth Bolden
Jul 10, 2013 Elizabeth Bolden rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This book is kind of odd, but I had it when I was a kid so it's a nostalgia thing. I can't figure out what the point of the story is. Plus, there seems to be a political innuendo when the dog is called a conservative, but it's so totally random that it doesn't make sense.
lauren
Jan 12, 2008 lauren rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody who likes a nice stew
Shelves: fiction, children
this was one of my all-time favorite books as a wee child, mostly because of the art and the hilarity of a "dog that belonged to himself".

became one of my favorite books as a wee adult, mostly because of the following line: "crispin's crispian was a conservative."
Thom
Jan 15, 2010 Thom rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was a kid; I dreamed of being a Crispin's Crispian and belonging to myself. His life seemed so simple and fun. Come to think of it, I still think it might not be such a bad way to live.
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
  • I Can Fly
  • My First Counting Book
  • Flutterby Fly (Serendipity)
  • Butterwings
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • Four Little Kittens (a Little Golden Book)
  • The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...