Start by marking “My World: A Companion to Goodnight Moon” as Want to Read:
My World: A Companion to Goodnight Moon

My World: A Companion to Goodnight Moon (Over the Moon #3)

Your world. My world. I can swing right over the world.

Now you can revisit the world of the beloved little bunny and his family in this perfect companion to everyone's favorite bedtime story, Goodnight Moon. Together, gentle illustrations of everyday objects along with poetic words capture the excitement of a young child exploring new boundaries, as the bunny greets all th
Published January 20th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about My World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My World

Amanda
Aug 15, 2010 Amanda rated it did not like it
Recommended to Amanda by: Found on Jini's floor. Read to Zeke before we played Carcassone
This book fucking sucks.
Steve Morrison
Aug 24, 2011 Steve Morrison rated it it was amazing
Just reread "My World," the sequel to "Goodnight Moon." It really is the disturbing, domestic psychodrama I remembered. The vast distances between characters (whose eyes never meet except for in one poignant dream sequence), the unspoken tension between the two parents, Mother sleeping alone, Daddy's final departure to the city, and the boy being equated with a toy all add up to trouble in paradise--something is deeply not right in the Rabbit home.

The book opens with the introduction of Mother'
Myra
Feb 11, 2010 Myra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any and all parents - read it to your children and watch them marvel.
The tale of the little bunny continues in this wonderful little book. Margaret Wise Brown touches on the little things, the little details of a home and a child's surroundings - these things are what a child finds remarkable and important in their own little world. Some adults have criticized the author for writing a book that makes no sense, but when you get right down to it and give it a closer look, it makes perfect sense to a small child. And the small child is the intended audience, not an ...more
Doug Bost
Nov 13, 2008 Doug Bost rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: pot-heads
Whoa. What the F was going on in Margaret Wise Brown's mind? This is a book for toddlers and hard-core Dadaists. It's one of those books that I would think you shouldn't look at if you are tripping because it could send you into a spiral and put you in a fetal position for three days. It makes no sense. It occasionally rhymes. It seems to consist of rough notes for other books, stitched together with drawings of the characters from The Runaway Bunny if they were a depressed suburban family with ...more
Leslie
Oct 06, 2008 Leslie rated it it was amazing
This book is so comforting and makes perfect sense to my children- perfect for 18 months- 3 year olds. My son chose it nightly for many months. I think this author knows what children want and need to hear more than any other. I love this better than Goodnight Moon.
Chak
Jun 13, 2008 Chak rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Margaret Wise Brown / Clement Hurd completists
Shelves: kid
I expected a lot from "My World" (MW). After all, "Goodnight Moon" (GM) was in very heavy rotation in my home for years. I even memorized it so I could slowly repeat it in monotone, in the dark, at 4 a.m., when my son needed rocking and soothing. (I did the same thing with Rudyard Kipling's "If," which is perfect for that application as well, by the way.)

MW just doesn't have the magic, though it's got the same author and illustrator. I don't know what it is about the flow and pacing of GM, but
Tressa
May 05, 2011 Tressa rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Wow. I'm amazed at the low ratings and negative reviews for this book. It's not as mesmerizing as Goodnight Moon, but the cadence and rhyme of the text is pleasing to read out loud. I think it's a simple little story about a bunny with a limited vocabulary and view of the world showing off his everyday life and things to the readers and listeners. My son loved this book.
Leila T.
Feb 15, 2011 Leila T. rated it really liked it
The kid loves looking at the pictures and talking about what's happening on each page. A bit of a surprise to me, since it's quite quaint.
Rachael
Jan 06, 2015 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1kbbk
I knew that many of Margaret Wise Brown's books were published post humorously and I've just been assuming this was one of them. It definitely has an unfinished sketchbook feeling to it. But Brown died in 1952 and this was published in 1949 which I guess just goes to show was interesting person she must have been. If you thought Goodnight Moon was eerie, wait until you read My World. "Your world. My world. I can swing right over your world". We are reunited with the bunny from Goodnight Moon and ...more
Peacegal
Dec 29, 2010 Peacegal rated it did not like it
I normally enjoy surrealist children’s literature, but My World is just too weird for words. The rhyming structure is awkward and poor, and the narrative is just skipping all over the map. It’s not an accident that this book is not nearly as famous as its predecessor, Goodnight Moon, which is unusual in a charming way.

A note for veg*n families: One passage shows the father and child rabbits going fishing, and the following page shows them carving up the fish (head and all) at the dinner table. M
Cara Byrne
Feb 11, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it did not like it
Even though Margaret Wise Brown has provided readers with the same characters and illustration style found in her lovely classic _Goodnight Moon_, this companion book lacks the charm and the appeal of her first book. _My World_ follows the baby bunny as he compares his things (comb, toothbrush, cat, etc.) to his parent's. For those who enjoyed the blogger at "The Ugly Volvo"'s poignant review of the bizarre bedroom in _Goodnight Moon_ (found here: http://theuglyvolvo.com/issues-goodni...), _My W ...more
Stephanie
This book was pretty disappointing, especially because I LOVED Goodnight Moon. I was really looking forward to reading this one to Caleb but I found that it was not easy or enjoyable to read out loud. I couldn't get into a good rhythm with it. I thought that the comparisons between the bunny's things and his parent's things were sweet, but other than that I didn't like it. As an example, here are the words from one page that I found didn't flow well when reading out loud:

"Daddy's boy.
Mother's bo
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Branching out from his usual activities of saying goodnight to everything in the room before bed, the Goodnight Moon bunny is now exploring the rest of his world and family, even going so far as venturing outside in the daytime.

There's a sort of novelty in the idea of a companion piece to Goodnight Moon, but I don't know... there's just something about this book that doesn't measure up to the charm and simplicity of its classic predecessor. It was fun to see the bunny explore a little more, but
Sherry
I picked up My World from our library's shelf, because my children loved Goodnight Moon, and I've given dozens of copies to babies over the years. Though My World, first published in 1949, is by the same author, Margaret Wise Brown, with illustrations by the same illustrator Clement Hurd, it lacks the flowing literacy of Goodnight Moon and lacks its charm as it goes through little rabbit's days and nights enumerating what is his and what similar things belong to his mother and father. Text and ...more
Cindy
Aug 15, 2013 Cindy rated it it was ok
My first thought is to give this 1 star if any. It bugs the heck out of me to read aloud the disjointed verse with its random storyline. They say that art evokes strong emotion.....so perhaps this is art that I can't appreciate. Yet I'm fascinated with my disdain for this to the point of obsessing over what it all means.

The bonus star issue to the fact that my child with autism LOVES this book. That further makes me wonder what I'm missing. He always sees what the rest of us miss in life, so I'
Courtney
Mar 30, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: edutl-2368
Brown, M. My World .Harper Collins (1949).

My World is about the same young rabbit from the classic bedtime story Goodnight Moon. In this picture book readers follow the bunny as he says hello to familiar things in our world, such as chairs. It has been called the companion to Goodnight Moon, and has a similar layout.

This is a cute book and very useful with its use of rhyming. Children (reading level 3-6) will enjoy the detailed pictures and following bunny as he goes through his day greeting thi
Hayden
Mar 13, 2012 Hayden rated it did not like it
This book sucked. Just finished reading it to the girls and I was just totally shocked at how lame it is compared to Goodnight Moon. It's just a bunch of repeated words that make no sense and fail miserably to accomplish the soothing rhythm of a bedtime poem.

And the last page is so so random. After hearing all about this little rabbit and his belongings, the last page asks "How many stripes are on a bee?" What in the world?

Not only did this book suck; but it left me extremely irritated for som
Annie
May 09, 2013 Annie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I got this book for my son since it's by the same author/illustrator team that did Goodnight Moon and The Runnaway Bunny. I was a little disappointed in this one, it wasn't nearly as much fun as the other two. The repeated phrases with different possessive pronouns is good for language development for him but man was that boring for me to read outloud. I give it 3 stars but I'm sure if I were 2 years old I would give it 5.
Amy
Nov 21, 2016 Amy rated it did not like it
This is by the same author as Good Night Moon and is written as a "companion book" to that title. However, the words don't flow as gently as in her other book. In fact, the pattern of the words seemed to fall off kilter. There is an unsettling lack of parallelism from page to page that makes me not want to read the book again.
Nick
Sep 20, 2014 Nick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Goodnight Moon is a bedtime staple in our home, so My World fits nicely within our routine. A more tenderly written prose, Brown's text reads like simple poetry, peeling a few of the layers back on the nighttime story we see in the pages of Goodnight Moon. While not as quotable, and likely not as well loved by children, My World serves as the perfect companion to Goodnight Moon (and mom and dad may actually like it a bit better too).
Heather
Jan 25, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
From the same author/illustrator team as Goodnight Moon. I'm really not a fan of the illustrations in either books, but the illustrations are even poorer in this book than in Goodnight Moon. Furthermore, the rhythmic text of Goodnight Moon makes it worth reading, despite the uninspiring illustrations, but this book doesn't have the quality of text to save it (in fact, both the text and the illustrations are strange).
Sarah M.
Dec 10, 2015 Sarah M. rated it it was amazing
This was a cute book by the author of Goodnight Moon. It is a story to show the kids the difference in their world and the world of their parents. There are pictures to help the kids know the difference in their items and their parent's. An example of this is when they describe the child's toothbrush and the father's toothbrush. I would recommend this book for young readers in preschool and reaching into kindergarten.
Caroline
Dec 07, 2013 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My daughter has started to want this read a lot. The pictures are okay and there's things to point out but the words are just kind of weird. "When you catch a fish you make a wish" "the moon belongs to the man in the moon" That's the best they can manage?! Disappointing after The Runaway Bunny and Goodnight Moon.
Dolly
Mar 18, 2009 Dolly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
I read "Goodnight Moon" to our girls until it fell apart. We never read this one, and I borrowed it because I will be taking our girls to a youth play about "Goodnight Moon" and I thought this would be a good precursor to seeing the play. Overall we weren't impressed, but perhaps our girls are beyond this level of children's lit.
Carolyn
Mar 10, 2009 Carolyn rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Carolyn by: no idea
This seems like it ought to be a classic, probably just because it's by Margaret Wise Brown and follows in the path of Goodnight Moon, but I'm here to say I just don't get it. And neither does Noah. I don't know what it means. It's probably very sophisticated poetry, but we just end up pointing out the dog and cat and oatmeal, if we read it at all. I'm thinking about hiding it.
C.
Nov 22, 2013 C. rated it really liked it
My two year old requested this specifically after seeing it on the back of Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. I admit that as an adult it is not one of my favourite books, but he seems to enjoy it tremendously asking for repeat readings. It is very simple, naming different objects in the house and teaching the differentiation between personal objects and other people's objects.
Ginny
Nov 23, 2011 Ginny rated it liked it
I have to admit that this wasn't my favorite after having read "Goodnight Moon" and "Big Red Barn". I felt this one was less cohesive and much more of an abstract book than the others. That being said, I still think it was a fairly strong book with good illustrations.
Jen
Jun 14, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
This is the sequel to Goodnight Moon. It again is the story of the little bunny family where the young rabbit goes about comparing things of his parents' to things of his. Nice little bedtime story.
Kathryn
Jun 26, 2014 Kathryn rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Not one of my favorites of Margaret Wise Brown, yet her comparisons between Mother's, daddy's and my things were sweet.
Ericka Fluellen
Sep 06, 2009 Ericka Fluellen rated it liked it
All time classic. The pictures are vivid and continuos with text. Children love reading this book as a bedtime story. The main character goes through the book saying goodnight to different things in his room.
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • The Bear in the Book
  • Hush Little Baby
  • Come Back, Moon: with audio recording
  • Go, Train, Go!
  • Rumpelstiltskin
  • The Wildest Brother
  • Hedgie's Surprise
  • That's Not My Puppy...Its Coat is Too Hairy (Usborne Touchy-Feely Books)
  • Spot's First Walk (color)
  • Have You Seen My Cat?
  • Who Will Guide My Sleigh Tonight?
  • Bear's First Christmas
  • Mommy Hugs
  • Bedtime for Bear
  • ZooBorns!: Zoo Babies from Around the World
  • Two Little Monkeys
  • Manners Can Be Fun
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...

Over the Moon (3 books)