Start by marking “America: A Concise History, Volume 1: To 1877” as Want to Read:
America: A Concise History, Volume 1: To 1877

America: A Concise History, Volume 1: To 1877

"America: A Concise History" has become the best-selling brief book for the U.S. History survey because of the uncommon value it offers instructors and students alike. The authors' own abridgement preserves the analytical power of the parent text, "America's History," while offering all the flexibility of a brief book. The latest scholarship, hallmark global perspective, a ...more
Published February 4th 2005 by Bedford Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America

Jill Jackson
Aug 05, 2015 Jill Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting, informative, and quite readable history of early American culture and politics. Contained within these pages are Supreme Court decisions, Presidential elections, Women, Native American, and African-American rights (and lack thereof), the Industrial Revolution, The Enlightenment, and The Great Awakening. Age-old conflicts of owner vs. laborer, church vs. state, centralization vs. state's rights are reviewed, leaving the reader with a better understanding of today's issues.
I espec
Isaac Timm
May 04, 2011 Isaac Timm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, 2011, texts
A very clean text. Chapters are long but packed with meaningful information that is well formatted for study. I really like how it ties history given earlier in the text, carrying it into latter chapters. It shows that history is interlocking movements and events, not just dates that can be cleanly laid out on a timeline. The primary sources given in the workbook were a great addition.
Jeffrey
Jun 28, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From world's colliding (Europe, Africa, and America) to America's establishment to post war reconstruction, this is one every American should read.
The Once and Future King
ce, informative, and un-biased scholarly work. No Justifications for racist Colonialism, no romantisizing of Native Americans, no propaganda of any kind in this. Just clear, concise, and true. Plus you'll learn things you never knew before or even heard of. Everyone including non-college students should read this book. For instance, you'll read that most people were against the American Patriot Movement because they were seen as extremists and opportunists who wanted to replace the Monarchy with ...more
JP
Nov 30, 2013 JP rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, assigned
A fine history text, but somewhat sporadic. I used this book in a US History to 1877 class, and from what I remember, it really jumped around. There's a reason textbooks are usually almost 1000 pages, and this book - the only one for the class - was not enough (it's less than half as long) to single-handedly provide a base in the historical chronology.

The issues Henretta did touch on, however, he describes incredibly well. An even-handed and often unheard history of the American Revolution was v
Richard
Jun 26, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for an American History class that I'm repeating at Brigham Young University. This is also the second history textbook I've read this year, which helps give some perspective, I suppose. I enjoyed the book being compact and smaller to carry. The given history in the text is more generalized, in my opinion, but I give credit for the authors making the effort to write as much as they could.
The only complaint I have about the book was how the Mormons were portrayed in the book. It was ra
Katie
Dec 04, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
I read this book for my U.S. history course and I was impressed by how easy it was to read. Some of my other textbooks are written in a way that can be nearly impossible to decipher, but this one was written in a simple yet informative way. Now, I must go study for finals; wish me luck.
christopher
Oct 14, 2009 christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-text
a good book for a really fun and interesting class. I love the civil war and enjoyed learning more about our fine country.
Laura rated it did not like it
Jun 18, 2014
Miranda Madison
Miranda Madison rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Mr. Southmayd
Mr. Southmayd rated it it was ok
May 20, 2014
Kim Jacalone
Kim Jacalone rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Jae Sevy
Jae Sevy rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2013
Allix
Allix rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2015
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2012
Alice Ball
Alice Ball rated it liked it
May 30, 2011
Mark Brown
Mark Brown rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2012
Maxwell Despard
Maxwell Despard rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2009
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
Calin L Martin
Calin L Martin rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2016
Ines
Ines rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
M.D.
M.D. rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2017
Shaun Kenney
Shaun Kenney rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Veronica Bale
Veronica Bale rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2016
Meadows
Meadows rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Joah
Joah rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2011
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
  • A Nation Among Nations: America's Place in World History
  • Give Me Liberty!: An American History to 1877
  • Weavers of Revolution: The Yarur Workers and Chile's Road to Socialism
  • Revolutionary Dissent: How the Founding Generation Created the Freedom of Speech
  • John Adams
  • Cheyenne Autumn
  • American Empire: The Realities and Consequences of U.S. Diplomacy
  • The Transformation of Virginia, 1740-1790
  • The Americans, Vol. 1: The Colonial Experience
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
  • In the Palm of Your Hand: A Poet's Portable Workshop
  • Strangers in the Land: Patterns of American Nativism, 1860-1925
  • John Quincy Adams: American Visionary
  • The Unfinished Nation: A Concise History of the American People Volume I: To 1877
  • James Madison
  • The U.S. Constitution: A Reader
  • Eureka Mill
  • Child of the Dark: The Diary of Carolina Maria de Jesus
Dr. James A. Henretta was the Priscilla Alden Burke Professor of History at the University of Maryland, College Park, and later Professor Emeritus of American History. He earned his Ph.D from Harvard University in 1968.
More about James A. Henretta...