Start by marking “Without You” as Want to Read:
Without You

Without You

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  199 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Where would I be, What would I do, Without you?

While a mother penguin leaves her mate and newly laid egg to feed in the deep blue sea, the father penguin protects the egg by holding it on his feet until it hatches. In one of nature's rare and heartwarming role reversals, father and chick stay together, braving the Antarctic winter as they wait for the mother's return.
Published January 2nd 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Without You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without You

Laura Verret
Jul 27, 2014 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
I’ve always had a soft spot for penguins. It started when my family checked ‘Scamper the Penguin’ out from the library. My sister and I still sing the theme song from time to time.

Penguins are very friendly chaps.
Their bellies are white
They look all feathered
And their backs are black…

Ahem. Yes, well. You might say I totally just spent a few minutes on Youtube listening to… a lecture on philosophy. Definitely a lecture. Whatever it was, it was NOT the Scamper the Penguin theme song. Nope.

I d
Becky B
Feb 17, 2015 Becky B rated it it was amazing
A little penguin's ode to the care of its parents that sustains it through the cold first months of its life.

The little poetic ode of a penguin for the care of it's parents is sweet, but what really sets this book apart are the incredible illustrations. They are all stunning and gorgeous! I also appreciated the author's note at the front of the book with great information about the habits of male and female emperor penguins in the care for an egg and little penguin.
Abby
Feb 21, 2014 Abby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
I didn't think the writing for this book was exceptional but it was cute in telling the story of a baby penguin when he is born until he meets his mom. The thing I enjoyed most about this book were the pictures. They were AMAZING! Especially in the pictures with the storm, you could almost feel the bitterness and the snow hitting your face. Overall, I really liked the book for the illustrations, not necessarily the writing or storyline.
Destiny Thompson
Jul 17, 2015 Destiny Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature
"Without You," is a excellent book for young readers who want to learn some fun, and interesting facts about penguins. The book explains the journey that mother and father penguins have to go through in order to keep their babies alive. The baby penguin in the story ponders his mothers journey. He braves the cold blizzards with his father, and the whole time he is thinking, "where would I be without you?'
Sheng Yang
Mar 05, 2014 Sheng Yang rated it liked it
Shelves: february
This is such a warm and fuzzy book to read. It really shows the love between parents to children and children to parents. It introduces readers to how a penguin is hatch from its egg, the father keeps the children warm, while the mother goes out to the ocean to search for food. I would recommend this book to children, because it really teaches the value of love within a family and it really touches you.
Alexis Priestley
Nov 05, 2014 Alexis Priestley rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I thought that this was a really sweet and fun book! I feel like after the movie Happy Feet, children would really love to read a book like this. Penguins are always really fun creatures to read and learn about. I love them as a child. I would definitely read this to my children and even students. I think there are many fun extension activities with this book!
A.C. Bauch
Feb 10, 2014 A.C. Bauch rated it liked it
For me, the overall story and illustrations are this book's strengths. The words themselves sometimes read more like song lyrics. (I wasn't surprised to see that the authors is also a song writer.) I appreciate a book about fathers and children, which seem to be the minority in the children's book market.
Crystal
Feb 21, 2014 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
This is such a sweet little book that describes the life of Penguins. It is read more like a story but gives facts like a textbook does. I think this book would be a great book to use in the classroom, especially while talking about the home and the parenting styles of different species.
Emilee Wirth
Nov 04, 2014 Emilee Wirth rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was very interesting, it put a different twist on what penguins actually go through and what mamas do for the babies. I found it very cute and educational for young kids, the pictures did a good job at illustrating what the words were saying.
Julianna
Feb 27, 2014 Julianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
I love it book because it is cute and informative and also very heartfelt. It makes me think about the people that I couldn't do without in my own life, and it makes me want to tell them how much they mean to me.
Crysta Xue
Nov 05, 2014 Crysta Xue rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I really loved this book. It reminded me just how important a father can be. And at the same time it taught me about a small portion of a penguins life. Buying this one for home and my classroom.
Alison
Jun 02, 2016 Alison rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, animals
This book is told from the viewpoint of the newly hatched penguin. It tells about all the things daddy penguins do for their young while the mother is away filling her belly. This would be great for military children whose mothers may be deployed.
Liz Carrillo
Nov 06, 2014 Liz Carrillo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
this was a very awesome book. i really want a copy at my own house to read it to my kids. I recommend it to anyone and everyone. i enjoyed it alot.
Kayla Whitlock
Feb 15, 2014 Kayla Whitlock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is told by the Baby penguins perspective. This book is a cute early elementary book.
Susie
About penguins. Theme - family and family duties/care for each other
Sydnee Killpack
Nov 06, 2014 Sydnee Killpack rated it really liked it
Shelves: childs-lit
Such a cute animal book, and would be a good one to have in the classroom
Barbara
May 29, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful, dedicated to fathers everywhere
Alissa Sparks
This is a good book to teach about nature.
Krystal
Jan 23, 2008 Krystal rated it it was amazing
I have to say, embarrasingly, that I teared up at this story, and its not a sad book. Since the birth of my son almost 4 years ago, I cry over anything sentimental. Every time I read the words "what would I do without you?" I felt the tears fighting for escape. Its not the full on boohooing that I do with EVERY reading of Shel Silverstiens "The Giving Tree" (come on, thats a tear jerker), but the tears threatened.
The illustations are awesome, and the story line flows for children. It will probab
Emmy Lou
Feb 03, 2016 Emmy Lou rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2016
The art was fantastic. Too cute!
Abbie
Mar 31, 2014 Abbie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This made me cry.
Shannon
Mar 20, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
12/09: A baby Emperor Penguin pays homage to his devoted dad.

Amazon Book Description:
Where would I be, What would I do, Without you?

Brooke Teichert
Dec 13, 2014 Brooke Teichert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
First of all I love Penguins so instantly this is my favorite. It had a cute little story about the mother and the egg and baby penguin being without each other but really it was quite educational. There was a lot of information about penguins and what happens when they have a baby and how the mother goes first to find food and then the dad takes care of the egg. It was a charming book and it had a lot of education in it.
Mandy
Jul 20, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
(Facts about emperor penguins at the beginning)

A baby emperor penguin is protected by its daddy during the fierce winter and looks forwards to its mom reuniting with them.

This sweet poem is told from the baby penguin's perspective showing its trust in it parents while educating readers on facts about emperor penguins.
Aurora
Mar 14, 2009 Aurora rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Beautiful illustrations and a sweet story about parents working as a team to raise their little one. I love a story about offspring showing appreciation to mom & dad - it happens so very seldom in real life.
Lauren
Jan 23, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it
The story from a baby penguins point of view when his mama is off looking for food and waiting with daddy. Cute story about how penguins survive the winter and the dependence they have on each other.
Lisa
Apr 24, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book celebrates the relationships between a father and his child. This book is great to use when studying penguins.
Jacqueline
Feb 17, 2008 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
My 4 year old gives this book 5 stars and says, "I love this book so much I wanted to hug it." And then he hugged it.
Marilyn
Aug 30, 2010 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Baby emperor penguin telling her dad how much she appreciates his sacrifice for her. Great Father's Day book.
Brittany Curbello
Such a cute book about love and family! k-3rd grades . I love this one!!
  • Two Little Birds
  • Pug: And Other Animal Poems
  • Baking Day at Grandma's
  • Abigail
  • All Kinds of Families!
Sarah Weeks has been writing children’s books and songs for the past twenty years. She is a graduate of Hampshire College and NYU and recently became an adjunct faculty member in the prestigious Writing Program at the New School University, in New York City.

Her first YA novel, So B. It, which appeared on the LA Times bestseller list was chosen as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults and received the
More about Sarah Weeks...