Start by marking “James and the Giant Peach” as Want to Read:
James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  262,029 Ratings  ·  4,477 Reviews
A young boy escapes from two wicked aunts and embarks on a series of adventures with six giant insects he meets inside a giant peach.
Published August 16th 2007 by Turtleback Books (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about James and the Giant Peach, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
thor b "I was so pleased to be able to find this story with the Lane Smith illustrations. I absolutely love Roald Dahl books. A must read for children and…more"I was so pleased to be able to find this story with the Lane Smith illustrations. I absolutely love Roald Dahl books. A must read for children and adults!" Got it from here!(less)

Darth J
Aug 21, 2015 Darth J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a brief period in my childhood, I was obsessed with this. After seeing the trailer, I noticed that the movie trailer tie-in edition was available in the next month's book order form so I had to have it to read before I saw it.

Then I saw the movie and of course, really loved it. It was whimsical and visually appealing, even if it did deviate from the source material in parts.

I even remember wanting to only eat and drink peach stuff for a while, and since it was the 90's I had to have my Snapp
Muna
Aug 04, 2008 Muna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was in third grade, the first great crush of my life, Scott Murphy, stood up on the picnic table outside of the trailer that housed my third grade class and instead of reading his lines -- James' words -- from his paperback copy while we were all trying to rehearse the chapter we were supposed to present to the entire class the next day, he performed the most passionate version of "Paradise City" by Guns N Roses that I have ever seen.

To this day, I love Gun N Roses, I love Scott Murphy, a
Lynda
Nov 23, 2014 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and adults alike
Recommended to Lynda by: Banned Books Group
James and the Giant Peach - B A N N E D!

Recently I joined the Banned Books group and one of the group reads for this month was James and the Giant Peach. I'm sure there are many GR readers who have read a Roald Dahl book and/or seen a movie adaptation of one of his books. If you have, then you would know that Dahl has consistently written stories that entertain children with morals and life lessons that even adults can appreciate.

So why was this book banned?

Let's first take a look at what Jame
Patrick
Jan 24, 2014 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to be completely honest here. I didn't like this book.

Usually, if I don't care for a book, I keep schtum about it here. Not only is it not as much fun to talk about books I didn't like, but bad-mouthing other author's books is pretty rude.

But, given that Dahl has passed on, and a fair number of people ask me for book recommendations for their kids. I figured I'd chime in with my opinion about this one.

I recently read it with my son, and while it wasn't *awful,* it was just... Meh. I
midnightfaerie
I read James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl with my five year old. We had just finished Charlotte's Web and I was looking for chapter books I could enjoy as well. And I knew we had the movie so we could watch it when we were done. It turned out to be a great choice. Dahl uses the cliffhanger method at the end of almost every one of his chapters, and each chapter is only a page or two long. That combined with great illustrations, made for a win-win situation. I often ended a chapter only to ha ...more
Amy Talluto
Aug 24, 2007 Amy Talluto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
A funny, dark and poetic book. I read this after seeing a documentary about Roald Dahls' life and hearing some of the book's passages narrated within the perspective of his time cramped up in a WWII bomber plane as a bombardier (he was very tall). The peach represents the polar opposite of being in a noisy and clattering war plane, manning a gun and always under the threat of death. The peach is a peaceful, sweet and quiet flying machine.
mark monday
used to dream of being James. had my special favorites amongst all the talking insects, but really they were all my favorites. also used to look at animal encyclopedias and write lists of my favorite animals. then I'd imagine going on an Incredible Journey with them. animals are so much better than people!
Saoirse Sterling
Read as part of the #InfiniteVariety2016 Reading Challenge based on the BBC's Big Read poll.

The only way to describe this book is "fun". Yeah, it's got whimsy and adventure and imagination and some very Dahlian deaths and the Horrible People with their Horrible Traits, but it's not got that kind of wonderful spirit that some his other books have.

Whilst I'd never say that adults should not read children's books, I personally haven't been getting the same amount of enjoyment from these books as I
MishyJo
Sep 24, 2014 MishyJo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was completely depraved. Bugs, seagulls, giant fruit, a little boy, a broken rainbow. I am disgusted. No wonder it was banned.

End sarcastic rant. I had forgotten how much I loved this book.

On the ALA's 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books 1999-2000, having been banned for mysticism, sexual inferences, profanity, racism, references to tobacco and alcohol, and claims that it promotes disobedience, drugs, and communism.

Meli
Jul 09, 2016 Meli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy tierno y entretenido.
No es lo mejor de Roald, pero sí una excelente aventura.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I've never visited Central Park, but if I ever do, I'll be watching for the giant peach pit where James Henry Trotter settled happily after his wild excursion.

I knew I liked this book as a kid but I couldn't remember the details of the story. The thing that stayed in my mind all these years was the feeling of claustrophobia when James makes his way inside the peach and finds all the giant, friendly creepy-crawlies inside the peach pit. As a kid you always place yourself within the story, and I
Lauren Henderson
This was my first re-read of James and the Giant Peach as an adult. It's still just as great. It's so quirky, and the end is so heartwarming! I can't wait to read it to my child one day.

Sidenote: I never realized how many times the word "ass" is in this book. Ha.
Sara Kamjou
خوب بود دنیای جالبی داشت اما از اونجایی که شباهتاش به چارلی و آسانسور شیشهای خیلی زیاد بود یه جاهایی تکراری بود روندش. به هر در مل لذتبخش بود.
-----------------------------------
بخشهای ماندگار کتاب:
شاید ما غرق نمیشدیم! شاید هم آنقدر ترسیده بودیم که فکر میکردیم داریم غرق میشویم.
...
در تمام این دنیای ما چیزهای زیادی هست که تو هنوز به آنها فکر نکردهای.
Ricquetta
I remember when this book was read to me by my fifth grade teacher during our daily story time hour. I also remember hating that teacher because he played favorites to a group of girls that bullied me. However, despite my obvious distaste for the class and its inhabitants, I largely attribute that particular teacher for reading out to me some of my most favourite children's books; this particular Roald Dahl was one of them.

In all honesty before re-reading this after some 14 years, the only part
Alex
Jun 07, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, 2016
Roald Dahl continues his mission to ruin your child by insisting that a man-sized centipede would not be the most horrifying thing in the world. Centipedes are nightmares, man. Wanna see a foot-long centipede hunting bats? Of course you don't, that's awful.

Anyway, so here's a book about a kid who murders his legal guardians and takes off with his creepy friends. Along the way they meet magical people who make rainbows, and pick a fight with them. When they're done they deface the Empire State B
Erika
Jan 24, 2016 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stelle e mezzo.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Oh, childhood, Roald Dahl takes me right back. I will always love Roald Dahl's work, because of how much these books meant to me as a kid, not that they're not fun now, of course, but the experience really is not quite the same. Unlike with a lot of my childhood reads, dimmed to hazy memories, I have a strong recollection of my first time reading James and the Giant Peach. Much as I loved Roald Dahl (personal favorites being the BFG, The Witches, Boy, and Matilda), I dreaded reading this book, p ...more
Farah
Jul 19, 2009 Farah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Membaca buku ini membuat gue kelaparan setengah mati.
Karena gue membayangkan buah peach kalengan raksasa, dengan warna oranye yang mengilap, tekstur buah yang lembut, air gula yang lengket, serta kadar gula yang sangat tinggi dan sanggup membunuh seekor brontosaurus karena terserang diabetes melitus secara mendadak.
Atau brontosaurusnya hidup tapi cuma boleh makan kentang rebus seumur hidup.
Tapi gapapa, karena brontosaurus cuma makan sayuran.
Tapi selama beberapa tahun kedepan, si brontosaurusn
Lucy
Nov 19, 2008 Lucy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I shouldn't be allowed to read classic children's literature. My brain simply doesn't appreciate its intended purpose - creativity, imagination, fantasy. Instead, I wonder, "What's the point here?" Sometimes, there is a point, but I think with Ronald Dahl, the focus is placed on the magic and if there happens to be a story in there somewhere in it..so be it.

I borrowed it from the library because it was on the most-commonly-banned-books-in-America shelf and I wondered how the author of Charlie an
Jul 21, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
Perhaps one of the less well known Dahl books; understated yet beautifully told and with just the right amount of magic. In my journey to record and review - albeit from memory - the books I grew up reading, ones such as this remind me of curling up under the duvet covers and escaping into the wonderful world of Dahl by torchlight.

I loved the magic creatures James encounters. Each has their own unique personality, and the storyline is - in true Dahl fashion - mesmerising. When the book was adap
Trish
Jan 08, 2016 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't seem to stop reading books by Roald Dahl! :D

This time it's about a boy whose parents die so he has to live with two aunts, who are terrible people. They constantly mistreat him and keep him from meeting other children.
Just one small note here: Why are the bad people in Roald Dahl's stories always either enormously fat or very long and thin?! It's a constant throughout his stories and I wonder if there is a special reason that can be found in his life's story?!

Another note here: A boy lo
Lou
Dahl's imagination and writing skill is masterful. He transports many of us to wonderful fun worlds of adventure and peculiarity with characters that every child would love to meet. A conjurer of great bedtime stories and memories of being young and learning to read those first books.
He must be thee most famous writer. This tale of a boy escaping two bad ladies into a world of make believe via a giant peach is full of fun and thrilling moments. His writing so well done, the vocabulary at times i
Jay Ant
Aug 22, 2015 Jay Ant rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Teacher read this to our class in about Second grade--of course she did--how else would I know about giant walking insects, what powers a rotten peach, and its deadly decaying orbit? Wasn't going to happen on my own watch. Dr. Suess was still fringy at that time.

She could've read us tales of warm puppies and rainbows, and Francis and Frogs, but oh no, floating dirigible peach-thingy.

It turns out okay, but I never forgot it. You're darn tootin' I didn't peep this movie. Not on my time big bugs!
Cait (Paper Fury)
Well this is an other imaginative yet super disturbing Roald Dahl book. And THAT, my friends, is why I love his books so much! They're absolutely loony and a little bit scary. It's like Lewis Carroll's Wonderland psychotic mess meets a calm English breakfast. Spot o' tea, chaps? I think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory andMatilda still win as my favourite Roald Dahl books, especially Matilda which totally empowers bookworms. YAY. CatCF is just a skewed crazy ride as well. BUT I LOVE IT. I DO.

S
Kirsty
It has been very many years since I last read this book and to be honest all I could remember about it was that it has a giant peach in it. I ended up rereading this book because I am currently trying to read every book Roald Dahl ever had published in publishing order (other than a few exceptions).

This book is about a young boy named James who lives with his two aunts, who are less than pleasant characters to say the least. We follow his whimsical adventure as he escapes them on a giant peach a
Minh Trang
May 02, 2016 Minh Trang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuốn này vui kinh khủng, không thua gì 2 cuốn viết về thằng nhóc Charlie :))

Trong sân nhà James có một cây đào già không quả. Nhưng một hôm, chú bé được “ông Bụt” tặng cho một mớ thần dược và đã vụng về làm đổ tung tóe ra vườn. Thần dược ngấm vào rễ cây đào, tạo nên quả đào khổng lồ to như ngôi nhà. Khi tò mò tìm lối chui vào trong trái đào ấy, James đã gặp những con côn trùng cũng lỡ ăn phải thần dược kia khiến chúng to đùng và còn biết nói. Từ đây, một cuộc phiêu lưu vô tiền khoáng hậu từ ngọn
aPriL does feral sometimes
James Henry Trotter is a sweetie, and I couldn't adore this kid and his garden-friendly insect friends more. The illustrations were so cute.

After enduring abusive aunts for three years who despise James after they agree to raise him from the age of four after his parents die, James meets a mysterious man in the garden who gives him a bag of magical rice-sized crystals. He spills the crystals accidentally near his aunts' sad peach tree losing every one. It's a catastrophe for James, who was hopin
Justine
Aug 04, 2016 Justine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
In the Pantheon that is Roald Dahl, I find that James and the Giant Peach gets the shaft. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it as their favorite, but after this most recent read, I've decided that Dahl's Odyssey includes some of the best parts of his writing. It is eerily bizarre, wonderfully imaginative, and filled with imagery that I still remember from the first time I read it.

Tips Of My Hat:
~James is a cool-ass kid. The poverty/orphan combo that Dahl uses to play up how much we l
Kathy Worrell  ツ
Banned or Challenged book. 3.5 Stars

Roald Dahl's story of a boy who leaves home to travel on a giant fruit with several insects was banned because it contains magical elements and references to drugs and alcohol.
Another website is quoted as stating: it has been banned for being too scary for the targeted age group, mysticism, sexual inferences, profanity, racism, references to tobacco and alcohol, and claims that it promotes disobedience, drugs, and communism.

D.G.
**3.5 stars**

Really, really cute story of a child that finds some unusual friends and adventures. I laughed out loud several times, specially with the centipede. If you're going to read this to your children though, just note that at some point the peach is confused with a giant bomb which is something you may want to keep in mind given the news lately. It's solved quickly and all ends well but I figured I should warn you anyway.

Jeremy Irons was simply WONDERFUL with the narration. It gave me th
Childrens 2 7 Apr 29, 2016 03:51PM
The Neverlanders: James and the Giant Peach Discussion 3 10 Mar 02, 2016 08:36PM
  • Abel's Island
  • Runaway Ralph (Ralph S. Mouse, #2)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2)
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • Pippi in the South Seas
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • Three Tales of My Father's Dragon
  • The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2)
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • The Missing Piece
  • The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • Harriet the Spy (Harriet the Spy #1)

More about Roald Dahl...

“I'd rather be fried alive and eaten by Mexicans.” 134 likes
“My dear young fellow,' the Old-Green-Grasshopper said gently, 'there are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven't started wondering about yet.” 92 likes