Start by marking “Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #4)” as Want to Read:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind #4)

4.58  ·  Rating Details ·  1,582 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A monk warns Nausicaä that omens of an apocalypse, Daikaisho, will appear soon and the forest will boil over to cover the land. His predictions appear to be coming true when she arrives in the Forest in the South and discovers Lord Miralupa has developed mutant spores for biological warfare, but the mould begins growing uncontrollably and there's no antidote.
Published June 2nd 2004 by VIZ Media (first published March 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4

Jordan
Jul 16, 2012 Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A complex story with no easy answers, well partnered with complex art and well developed characters. I really fell in love with Nausicaa by the end... Not the dark, not the light, but ~right~, and doing the best she could for everyone. This manga is respect worthy and beautiful.

Rating: Difficult
There is typical fighting violence, I would say about PG13. Mostly it's swordfighting, though a baby Ohmu (A giant bug) is tortured in one sad scene, and the story in general gets darker as things progres
Kirsten
I am loving this series! This volume had some particularly striking artwork; the scene where the God Warrior is being transported by air and you see its face and body melting in and out of the clouds is downright terrifying.
Starbubbles
Aug 07, 2009 Starbubbles rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
it had another slow beginning, but as the story progressed, it snowballed and became highly addictive by the end.
Harold Ogle
After reading this, I'm more impressed than I already was with Miyazaki, and that's saying a lot. I've often vacillated between regret and relief that I didn't babble and gush with stars in my eyes when I met him at the North American premiere of "Laputa" as a teenager (some years before he sold the English-language rights to Disney). All I did was shake his hand and thank him for his great work. My respect and admiration have only grown since then.

By this volume, the story is far more complicat
Jordan
May 25, 2012 Jordan rated it really liked it
So far, it's great. The art is detailed, though a little hard to get into at first. The story is deep and epic, with complex situations with no easy answers. It's exciting to see each new problem and revelation as they come, despite the pain each might cause. Some moments are heart wrenching, and it's easy to really feel for Nausicaa and hold the same 'save everyone' desire she does. This is, in fact, a little bit of a downer so far because of that very wish; it seems impossible to save everyone ...more
Jessi
Apr 15, 2016 Jessi rated it really liked it
It was a little serendipitous that I found this series. I was reading another manga and saw an ad for this in the back of the book, then the next day saw these at the library. This story has beautiful art and a deep engaging story. Now, I can watch the movie. As an aside, I'm unsure how they could possibly condense this series into one movie, but I'm sure it'll be great since it's Mayazaki.
Mona
Jan 14, 2015 Mona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El mejor de los 4 tomos que llevo leídos. Igual es que ya me he acostumbrado pero ya no he tenido esa sensación de desorientación y confusión. Y lo mejor de todo es que hacia el final del cómic es un no parar. Es imposible apartar los ojos hasta llegar al final y dudo que tarde mucho en coger el próximo, si es que no lo hago inmediatamente. Vale la pena leerlo.
Tina Olah
Jun 23, 2016 Tina Olah rated it it was amazing
Another excellent volume, with some great visuals. The movie really only covered part of the manga series...I think it should have a TV anime adaptation!
Michael
Jul 18, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, manga
Work dragged me away from this, the only reason I didn't read the entire first volume (I had a four-in-one of these) in a day. This is a wonderful story. I was almost in literal pain to come back and read it.
Elaine
Jun 12, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Still a bit confusing, but Nausicaa's pure heart and integrity help change people's hearts.
Pasquale
May 16, 2015 Pasquale rated it it was amazing
CHIKUKU IS THE BEST. THIS IS THE 21ST TIME IVE READ THE SERIES. I WILL BE NAUSICAÄ
Coral Davies
Mar 17, 2014 Coral Davies rated it really liked it
Loved it. Only 3 volumes to go.
Izlinda
Nov 08, 2008 Izlinda rated it really liked it
The end of the series, at least from this publisher. I found it very enlightening, and brings up good questions about humans and the environment, and repercussions for our actions. It also made me wonder about life and what is life, and free will, and what kind of path is best when life is on the brink of despair and devastation. There are some new characters introduced in this book, which makes it a bit hard to keep track of them. There were a few sad moments, as well.
Francesca
-Nausicaa and the Holy Emperor
-New boy, Chikuku!
3.5 stars!
Jayme
Kinda want this series to wrap it up. They go a little too slowly for my taste. But I'm not ready to pack it in yet, I want to see how it ends.

This volume covered more battles between the different peoples and a new spore mutation that's threatening to spread into the villages.
Deb
Aug 07, 2007 Deb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Miyazaki & epic story fans
Shelves: manga, favorites
This series is slow to pick up the pace, but stick with it until the 3rd or 4th book and you'll be amazed at how much more depth & addicting storyline the books have than the movie.
Devero
Aug 31, 2013 Devero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mentre la guerra prosegue incurante dei danni che può fare ad un mondo che già a malapena sopporta la presenza umana, Nausicaa prosegue la sua ricerca di verità e pace.
Edward Rathke
Oct 18, 2013 Edward Rathke rated it it was amazing
Really loving this. So much better than the film. Deeper, richer, more violent, more philosophical. To put it simply, it's more in every way.
Aurélie
Le chef d’œuvre de Miyazaki, où l'on trouve déjà tous les thèmes chers au Maître.
Jane Francis
Jul 12, 2012 Jane Francis rated it it was amazing
Awesome series. I especially enjoyed the illustrations in this volume.
Michael
via NYPL - Still interesting, but still riddling with clarity issues.
Jamil
kinda mesmerized by the art
Cynthia Furlong
Cynthia Furlong marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Przemysław Gumułka
Przemysław Gumułka rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Charles Benson
Charles Benson rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Farnoosh
Farnoosh marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
  • Akira, Vol. 2
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)
  • Phoenix, Vol. 4: Karma
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Ten: Never Give Up
  • Mushishi, Vol. 3
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 13: The Moon in the East, the Sun in the West
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 11
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao Takahata, then to N
More about Hayao Miyazaki...

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (7 books)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #1)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #3)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 5 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #5)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 6 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #6)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 7 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #7)