Start by marking “Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living” as Want to Read:
Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living

Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living

In Three Simple Rules, Rueben Job offers an interpretation of John Wesley's General Rules for today's readers. For individual reading or group study, this insightful work calls us to mutual respect, unity and a deeper daily relationship with God.

This simple but challenging look at three commands, "do no harm, do good, stay in love with God."

"Every year I review the three
Published November 1st 2007 by Abingdon Press (first published October 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Three Simple Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Simple Rules

Heather
Dec 12, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Recommended to Heather by: Pastor
The first chapter was a bit tough to get through. However, the next two chapters were engaging and were easier reading. I liked that he acknowledged that being generous doesn't mean you should give until you're the one in need. There's a balance between being selfish and selfless and we need to find that balance in our lives.

I liked the section at the very end that outlines little... "services" to follow through your day. I'm still working on applying that in my life, but that's a goal of mine f
Christopher
Jun 27, 2015 Christopher rated it liked it
I struggled with this book a lot. The three rules that Job is talking about comes from the teachings of John Wesley. They are: "Do no harm, Do good, and Stay in Love with God."

On the whole, these principles are amazing and something we should strive to live by.

The reason I gave this three stars is because of Job's way of describing these rules. His sentence structure I found to be confusing sometimes. I realize I am not a good writer, but I expect a published book to be. He would often tell abou
John Lucy
Jan 27, 2017 John Lucy rated it it was amazing
As members of my church, with whom I am doing a study on this book, said, these rules may be simple but they are not at all simple. Job does a wonderful job expounding the meaning of these rules that not only Methodists will find helpful, powerful, and inspiring to striving towards a transformed life in God's grace.

On the plus side, it will take you all of three hours, on the slow side, to read all the way through. I wouldn't recommend reading it in one sitting like that, but you absolutely cou
Mark Hiser
Jun 12, 2011 Mark Hiser rated it really liked it
I just finsihed this very short book subtitled "A Wesleyan Way of Living." The author, Rueben Job writes three short chapters applying to our time three simple rules John Wesley gave to the early Methodist movement. These rules are "Do no harm," "Do Good," and "Stay in Love with God." Though the book is short and the rules seem simple, Wesley offers words to transform us all.
Richard Fitzgerald
Sep 12, 2013 Richard Fitzgerald rated it liked it
The best thing about this book is the insistence that these simple rules are costly to follow. The honesty was appreciated. I wasn't overly impressed with the depth of the book otherwise. And the third rule is misnamed, though I appreciate that Job was trying to make it more accessible for modern readers.
Heather
Nov 27, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
"Do no harm," "Do Good," and "Stay in Love with God". Those are the Three Simple Rules of Wesleyan living. It is very simple. The book has no frills or unnecessary words. It tells of Wesley's faith, his beliefs and what the bible says. It is a inspirational book and a reminder of what we are called to do and be as Methodists and Christians.
Tim Beck
Jul 19, 2009 Tim Beck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
Do Good.
Do No Harm.
Stay in Love with God.

Three Simple Rules. A small, but profoundly inspiring book by Rueben P. Job.

This one will be worth reading again and again from time to time.

based on the writings and teachings of John Wesley.
Melissa
Jan 08, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-mybooks

I was completely unfamiliar with Wesleyan’s thoughts. I knew a bit of his history but nothing of his thinking. I do not know if this is an accurate portrayal or not but it sparks my interest and I now want to read something he wrote.
Gheeta
Nov 30, 2011 Gheeta rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
Just 'ok.' With so much hype in the United Methodist church world about this little book I expected more. Granted there's only so much one can say in a small format, 75-page book. Glad I received it as a gift and didn't spend my own money. :(
Cindy Lawson
Jul 21, 2012 Cindy Lawson rated it liked it
Read as part of a group study
Les Peine
Aug 27, 2008 Les Peine rated it it was amazing
Easy to read, easy to understand, difficult to apply but well worth the effort. Basic to the Christian faith and essential Methodist reading--John Wesley's approach to living life and faith.
Pamela
Mar 28, 2008 Pamela rated it liked it
Just started this book but has some great lessons for life in general.
Danielle
Aug 23, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
This is a quick but good read. I need to reread this one once a year to help remind me what is important in life.
Jul 20, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful little book. It is a quick read, but an inspiring and meaningful one. I expect to revisit it more than once.
Dee
Aug 25, 2009 Dee rated it it was amazing
Lots of good ways to live packed into a little book.
Sonny Mcdowell
Jan 02, 2012 Sonny Mcdowell rated it it was amazing
Three simple rules of living challenge our way of life. Do no harm. Do good. Stay in love with God. Be guided by this little book.
Kevin
Oct 24, 2009 Kevin rated it really liked it
A simple but profound meditation on the Wesleyan approach to spiritual growth and its impact on the world of those who practice it.
Julia
Jan 25, 2016 Julia rated it really liked it
Good little book to explain Wesley's Three Simple Rules. This is the second time I've read it. It's a great reminder for how we should strive to live.
Kevin Casto
Feb 25, 2016 Kevin Casto rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
A little book to inspire one on how to live for Christ daily using the Wesley "method".
Lisa Greer
Mar 10, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Our church is reading this, and I love the rules as guidelines for a Christian group. They work for me, and they make sense in light of Christ's life and work.
Peg
Aug 02, 2011 Peg added it
A must read for all followers of Jesus.
Marlene
Nov 11, 2008 Marlene is currently reading it
I'll comment when I am finished reading.
Sandra
Nov 20, 2010 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
The 3 rules are:
1) Do no harm.
2) Do good.
3) Stay in love with God.

Paul Beighley
I have used this book for spiritual formation in church and prison Bible studies and in preparation of Walk to Emmaus teams. It is very helpful as a Rule of Life!
Rich
Feb 25, 2009 Rich rated it it was amazing
A clear picture of the Wesleyan way of living in today's world. It is a quick read that every person of faith should read. Many profound truths are sprinkled throughout this book.
Robin
Jan 01, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at Troy Annual Conference. Amazing principles to live by given to Methodists by John Wesley. Do No Harm. Do Good. Stay in Love with God. Enough said!
Alice
Feb 03, 2009 Alice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone/everyone
Why is it that some of the simplest things are the hardest to do? Well written and easy to read.
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Allen
Allen rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Darcy Knight
Darcy Knight rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Christianity and World Religions - Participant's Book: Wrestling with Questions People Ask
  • Wesley and the People Called Methodists
  • Responsible Grace
  • John Wesley's Sermons: An Anthology
  • To Love as God Loves
  • Speaking of Sin
  • When "Spiritual but Not Religious" Is Not Enough: Seeing God in Surprising Places, Even the Church
  • Fasting: The Ancient Practices
  • The Liturgical Year: The Spiraling Adventure of the Spiritual Life - The Ancient Practices Series
  • Not Your Parents' Offering Plate: A New Vision for Financial Stewardship
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • How to Think Theologically
  • The Gospel According to Dr. Seuss: Snitches, Sneeches, and Other "Creachas"
  • Coffee with Jesus
  • Gracias!: A Latin American Journal

“We can also recite the failures of institutions and systems that are near and dear to us. The good news is that the past can be forgiven.” 1 likes