Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living

Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  24 reviews
In Three Simple Rules, Rueben Job offers an interpretation of John Wesley's General Rules for today's readers. For individual reading or group study, this insightful work calls us to mutual respect, unity and a deeper daily relationship with God. This simple but challenging look at three commands, "do no harm, do good, stay in love with God." Every year I review the three...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Abingdon Press (first published October 31st 2007)

Heather
Dec 12, 2012 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Heather by: Pastor
The first chapter was a bit tough to get through. However, the next two chapters were engaging and were easier reading. I liked that he acknowledged that being generous doesn't mean you should give until you're the one in need. There's a balance between being selfish and selfless and we need to find that balance in our lives.

I liked the section at the very end that outlines little... "services" to follow through your day. I'm still working on applying that in my life, but that's a goal of mine f...more
Mark
I just finsihed this very short book subtitled "A Wesleyan Way of Living." The author, Rueben Job writes three short chapters applying to our time three simple rules John Wesley gave to the early Methodist movement. These rules are "Do no harm," "Do Good," and "Stay in Love with God." Though the book is short and the rules seem simple, Wesley offers words to transform us all.
Heather
"Do no harm," "Do Good," and "Stay in Love with God". Those are the Three Simple Rules of Wesleyan living. It is very simple. The book has no frills or unnecessary words. It tells of Wesley's faith, his beliefs and what the bible says. It is a inspirational book and a reminder of what we are called to do and be as Methodists and Christians.
Richard Fitzgerald
The best thing about this book is the insistence that these simple rules are costly to follow. The honesty was appreciated. I wasn't overly impressed with the depth of the book otherwise. And the third rule is misnamed, though I appreciate that Job was trying to make it more accessible for modern readers.
Tim Beck
Do Good.
Do No Harm.
Stay in Love with God.

Three Simple Rules. A small, but profoundly inspiring book by Rueben P. Job.

This one will be worth reading again and again from time to time.

based on the writings and teachings of John Wesley.
Gheeta
Just 'ok.' With so much hype in the United Methodist church world about this little book I expected more. Granted there's only so much one can say in a small format, 75-page book. Glad I received it as a gift and didn't spend my own money. :(
Melissa

I was completely unfamiliar with Wesleyan’s thoughts. I knew a bit of his history but nothing of his thinking. I do not know if this is an accurate portrayal or not but it sparks my interest and I now want to read something he wrote.
Les Peine
Easy to read, easy to understand, difficult to apply but well worth the effort. Basic to the Christian faith and essential Methodist reading--John Wesley's approach to living life and faith.
Rich
A clear picture of the Wesleyan way of living in today's world. It is a quick read that every person of faith should read. Many profound truths are sprinkled throughout this book.
Robin
I picked this up at Troy Annual Conference. Amazing principles to live by given to Methodists by John Wesley. Do No Harm. Do Good. Stay in Love with God. Enough said!
Paul Beighley
I have used this book for spiritual formation in church and prison Bible studies and in preparation of Walk to Emmaus teams. It is very helpful as a Rule of Life!
Lisa Greer
Our church is reading this, and I love the rules as guidelines for a Christian group. They work for me, and they make sense in light of Christ's life and work.
Sonny Mcdowell
Three simple rules of living challenge our way of life. Do no harm. Do good. Stay in love with God. Be guided by this little book.
Kevin
A simple but profound meditation on the Wesleyan approach to spiritual growth and its impact on the world of those who practice it.
This is a wonderful little book. It is a quick read, but an inspiring and meaningful one. I expect to revisit it more than once.
Alice
Mar 03, 2009 Alice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone/everyone
Why is it that some of the simplest things are the hardest to do? Well written and easy to read.
Jeffodist
I read this simple, little book today. I look forward to spending more time with it.
Sandra
The 3 rules are:
1) Do no harm.
2) Do good.
3) Stay in love with God.

Pamela
Just started this book but has some great lessons for life in general.
Dee
Lots of good ways to live packed into a little book.
Marlene
Nov 11, 2008 Marlene is currently reading it
I'll comment when I am finished reading.
Peg
Aug 02, 2011 Peg added it
A must read for all followers of Jesus.
Cindy Lawson
Read as part of a group study
P. Holsinger
P. Holsinger marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Guide to Prayer: For Ministers & Other Servants Three Simple Questions: Knowing the God of Love, Hope, and Purpose A Wesleyan Spiritual Reader A Guide to Prayer for All Gods People Finding Our Way: Love and Law in the United Methodist Church