Start by marking “Kandide and the Secret of the Mists (The Calabiyau Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kandide and the Secret of the Mists (The Calabiyau Chronicles, #1)

Kandide and the Secret of the Mists (The Calabiyau Chronicles #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  35 reviews
When Kandide is crowned queen of the Kingdom Calabiyau after her father's death, she becomes keeper of the Gift, the key to survival for all life. Like her father, she promises to be a great leader of all the Fee, despite her consuming vanity a fitting characteristic in a land where physical perfection is cherished above all else.
Published May 1st 2008 by Noesis Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Kandide and the Secret of the Mists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kandide and the Secret of the Mists

Julianna
Dec 08, 2009 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Young Adult Fantasy and/or Fairies
Kandide and the Secret of the Mists is the first full-length novel about fairies that I've read, and overall, it was a generally pleasant experience. The main focus of the book is a lovely theme about beauty being more than skin deep. While I agreed wholeheartedly with the message it conveyed, I thought that the author was perhaps a bit heavy-handed and over-simplistic in its delivery. Granted the story is aimed at tweens and younger teens, but I think that kids can be perceptive enough to “get ...more
Kelly
A fantasy story set in the world of Fée, centering around Princess Kandide, as she becomes Queen. Kandide is very beautiful, but she knows it, she's vain, arrogant and selfish, so when she awakens after an accident with a bad injury, she's is banished to the Mists, where Fée who are not perfect are sent. She soon comes crashing down to earth when she releases she's alone in the dark scary woods with no way home, and no one to help her...

This is not my usual kind of book, but I throughly enjoyed
Connie Jasperson
As a grandmother, I often check out books that are suitable to buy for my older grandchildren, books that may not be labeled as young adult. Beautifully illustrated by Maxine Gadd, Kandide and the Secrets of the Mist, by Diana S. Zimmerman is an excellent choice if you or you older child/young adult loves fantasy romance and fairy tales.

But FIRST THE BLURB:

What if everything you love is suddenly gone?

And everything you fear is all you have?

Welcome to Calabiyau. Still a teen in human years, Ka
Aug 15, 2009 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pwn3d
This was a well written tale about a young Fee learning the value of true beauty. I struggled to identify with the characters in the beginning and the development of these characters was rather slow going. Having said that, towards the middle and the introduction of some new characters I warmed up to the world and Fee that Zimmerman has created. I can't help but think this would make a great Disney Channel movie. I will definitely be keeping up with this series.
Kristen
I enjoyed this book until about 200 pages in. Then, I just became annoyed with Kandide's obnoxious and self-conceited ways. I can only read so much about someone who knows she is SOOOOO beautiful. THe plot also started to get all mucky towards the end. I'm pretty sure I won't seek out the next two books.
Grace
Jun 27, 2011 Grace rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Grace by: my mom
Shelves: recommended
it was AWESOME! guess what though, they ended the story in a very important time i might add with to be continued! HOW DARE DIANA ZIMMERMAN DEPRIVE ME OF KANDIDE!
Thunderfury
Tristi
Sep 29, 2008 Tristi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle grade/young adult fantasy lovers
Recommended to Tristi by: Diana Zimmerman
Kandide is the most beautiful of all the fairies, and she knows it. Raised by the king and queen to become the queen herself someday, her education has been largely focused on her strength, high opinion of herself, and ability to get the respect of those around her. While her father believes this has been the correct way to raise his daughter, her mother wonders whatever happened to compassion, courtesy, and humility, for Kandide has none of these traits.

When the king suddenly dies, remaining on
Michele Lee
Kandide is the most beautiful and the most perfect of the Fee, and after her father dies the most important magical gift of all, the Gift of Frost which changes the seasons, renewing the world, passes to her. But in overconfidence and with an over inflated sense of importance (which both cover the doubts and insecurities mixing beneath the surface) she has an accident, a mistake that leaves her scarred and therefore cast out from the society that days earlier prepared to make her their queen.

Ban
Shannon
Kandide and the Secrets of the Mists, written by Diana S. Zimmerman and published by Noesis Publishing, is a pure fantasy book. With a dash of adventure and mystery. Kandide is a young fairy from the land of the Calabiyau. When the day comes where she is to be crowned queen and her father passes on the “gift” to her at his death bed, something imperfect happens. This book reminds me of basically any book that has fairies in it or defeating evil. This was the first book of the chronicle. This boo ...more
Angel
It is a fairy tale story about a girl named Kandide that is going to become Queen of Calabiyau. Kandide was always raised to be Queen. Before she became Queen Kandide's father had died. After her fathers death just in four days she became Queen. Kandide has a brother named Teren, a sister named Tara, a mother named Tyianna, and had a father named Toeyad. Way before King Toeyad died he gave his daughter, Kandide a gift that has a silver quill. When Kandide and her sister went out Kandide got hit ...more
Aileen Zhang
This is more like 3.5. I felt that this book was really slow picking up. The ending confused me a bit as I felt that this would've been better as a standalone and didn't need a cliffhanger leading to another book. I felt the characters really took time to develop and even then, it was pretty minimal and no really surprising character developments happened.
Asha
It was an awesome book. It showed how the character developed from being a spoiled brat to a leader. With her father dead she was the next in line to rule the country. But when her she and her sister went outside during a storm her wings were broken permanently and a misfit were not allowed. Her mother sent her to the forest where she met a group of misfits who were not allowed back in society. The group contained all types of misfits like a blind woman people to people with broken wings. The ma ...more
Shannon McGee
I love when a book has artwork within it. It just makes it that more special. The characters in the book are full of magic, myth and creativity that you just have to like. Of course it does help even more if you are faery lover. This is a story about being different outside and how you can be the same as others on the inside. It is also about having power and using it wisely. I actually have two of these books and I am hoping to meet the author at FaerieCon Oct 10th - 12th and get one of the bo ...more
Zoe
i loved the book and how kandide's father created the veil
Carol Mckitrick
It was a really good book, I would recommend it to anyone who is really into the fantasy genre. I cannot wait to read the other books in the Calabiyau Chronicles. I prefer Selena as my favorite because she seemed to be the wisest and she was inscrutable. I did not happen to like Kandide until the ending when she was less self absorb and cared for all life, like the griffins.
Pandamaddie
This was a good novel with an interesting plot. I enjoyed reading it, but I can't say it was one of the best. The writing was sort of basic, and some of the phrases or senteces were awkward and just didn't flow at all. I might be picking up the sequel, but I won't go out of my way to find it.
Steven Maus
Oct 02, 2008 Steven Maus rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy/fairy lovers
An excellent story filled with deception and conspiracy where the main character is forced to question if her closest friends and family are really on her side. The nervous and fearful attitude of the tale is held back though by slow pacing.
Gina
A wonderful and delightful read. It captivates you from the beginning and keeps you going to the end. Lots of colorful characters and interesting developments. Recommend for both children and adults. A creative way to learning some life lessons.
Clarissa
Oct 27, 2010 Clarissa marked it as to-read
Harley really wants to buy this book after reading the abstract in a Scholastic flyer. I am not so sure she's ready to delve into this. So, I'll be reading it first to see if it's appropriate for her.
Amanda
This was Skye's pick for me. :0) It's great message desperately needed in our world, especially among the younger "tweens" it was intended for.
Good book, well written. I enjoyed it very much and have reread it a few times. The girl starts out soooo very spoiled, but turns out good.
Linnet
I'm glad Scholastic is doing a better job at proofreading the books they sell. Other than that, it took a while to like what I was reading.
mari
An okay story with a good message for kids: acceptance, tolerance, and that it is who we are on the inside that makes us beautiful.
Ashley
It was alot better than what I thought it was going to be so if your into the magic and stuff you should read this book!!!
Ally
so far im at the part when she trys to figure out were she is and her mother sent her to this tragic plce
Jacky
This would be a great book for a teenager/pre-teen. I will give it to my granddaughter to read.
Elesa16
I absolutely loved this book and I really want to read the sequels to it.
Alexia54321
It was pretty good. It got a little confusing once in a while.
  • Curves & Courage (Future Alphas, #2)
  • Mark of the Wolf (Wolves of Black River, #1)
  • The Jewel of the Kalderash (The Kronos Chronicles, #3)
  • Blood Lust (Rapid City Wolves, #1)
  • Guardian (The Fallen Chronicles #1)
  • Winter's Orphans (Shadow Fae, #1)
  • New World of Indigenous Resistance (Open Media)
  • Scorching Secrets (Prophesized #2)
  • Blue Aspen
  • The Golden Flute (Adventures of Lilli and Zane, #1)
  • Melusine
  • Red-Robed Priestess (Maeve Chronicles, #4)
  • How Do You Spell Geek?
  • Woodland Knits: 20 enchanting projects to make and share
  • Language A to Z
  • Daughter of the Flames (The Gifted #1)
  • Fire Time
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixth Annual Collection
1061934

Vanishing avocados, Mega-million dollar conferences, haute couture jewels, and mysterious beings are all part of Diana S. Zimmerman’s remarkable life. Like her novels, Diana’s role in the performing arts as well as the business world transcends the ordinary. She has been a performer, entrepreneur, and businesswoman since the age of eight when she invested all of her resources into a small magic t
More about Diana Zimmerman...

The Calabiyau Chronicles (3 books)
  • Kandide: The Lady's Revenge (The Calabiyau Chronicles, #2)
  • Kandide: The Flame is Fleeting (The Calabiyau Chronicles, #3)
Kandide: The Lady's Revenge (The Calabiyau Chronicles, #2) Kandide: The Flame is Fleeting (The Calabiyau Chronicles, #3) Kandide The Secret of the Mists

“If no book fits u it is the right book!!!” 3 likes